What's new

HOT TAKE: New Mortal Kombat characters should be ninjas.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Sub-Zero ninja.:D

[source from 2016]

[source from 2018]

He was at first. Seems like he was middle of the pack for a while at the start (never higher than Takeda, Cassie, and rarely higher than Kung Jin) but then he started to drop at the end of year 1 and presumably just kept dropping.

I definitely don't think he was a less LIKED character than almost all others (e.g. Ferra/Torr), but I don't see any basis to call him the most well received newbie.
Oh wow that's crazy, seems character development wise he is popular. Gameplay/using wise, not so much apparently lol. True, nice posts.

Lot of people seem to think Cassie is just Johnny 2.0 but a chick, Takeda literally a hybrid of Scorp/Kenshi and KJ just dull. But I personally like those three, especially Takeda I am curious to see where his character goes in the future.

Last edited:
Wait people don’t consider Erron one of the “ninjas”?

He seems to clearly be designed to be one of them.

And I say “ninjas” with quotations because 90% are not at all ninjas, so I don’t really see why Erron being cowboy flavored disqualified him when you have the likes of a fighting prince, a super criminal, international assassins, a soul monster, and a lizard man.

He’s got the mask, the loin cloth, even a pseudo V with his bandolier(though it’s also an X), and arm bracers.

He also used gadgets/traps like caltrops and sand bombs, which honestly makes him more ninja-y than most of the old guys.
He's no ninja. he's clearly a cowboy. Alot of characters use gadgets. it doesnt make them ninja. Only ninja he has is his mask. But than agian a mouth piece is is not what defines a ninja. I thought you were trolling lol

Brazilians have capoeira . Americans have.... Wrestling. In the west they can box. But martial arts is mostly an eastern thing.
BJJ? Arguably the most popular martial art these days. Muay Thai is really popular there as well. And Americans/Mexicans typically always compete near the top in boxing. Plus wrestling, kickboxing.

Most martial arts started in the East but it's been widely adapted in the West, where most of the current best mixed martial artists come from now a days

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
BJJ? Arguably the most popular martial art these days. Muay Thai is really popular there as well. And Americans/Mexicans typically always compete near the top in boxing. Plus wrestling, kickboxing.

Most martial arts started in the East but it's been widely adapted in the West, where most of the current best mixed martial artists come from now a days
I believe they were talking about martial arts that originated in that country. BJJ is a modern Brazilian invented twist on an originally Japanese martial art. Muay Thai is from Thailand but practiced all over since MMA made a slightly less hardcore version of it super popular. The western original martial arts are primarily different variations of Wrestling, Boxing, or straight up brawling, lol. Pre-modern Brazil had Capoeira. Those are original, unique to that country inventions but yes you are correct in that modern times barriers like "national martial arts" have been largely discarded, lol.

I believe they were talking about martial arts that originated in that country. BJJ is a modern Brazilian invented twist on an originally Japanese martial art. Muay Thai is from Thailand but practiced all over since MMA made a slightly less hardcore version of it super popular. The western original martial arts are primarily different variations of Wrestling, Boxing, or straight up brawling, lol. Pre-modern Brazil had Capoeira. Those are original, unique to that country inventions but yes you are correct in that modern times barriers like "national martial arts" have been largely discarded, lol.
Oh yeah agreed! I know most originated in the East but it's definitely not an eastern thing these days. BJJ really is just a component of Japanese jiu jitsu (the ground game without as much of the judo throws) but so redefined that it's definitely an art onto it's own . Regardless, I love all martial arts!

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Oh yeah agreed! I know most originated in the East but it's definitely not an eastern thing these days. BJJ really is just a component of Japanese jiu jitsu (the ground game without as much of the judo throws) but so redefined that it's definitely an art onto it's own . Regardless, I love all martial arts!
Oh yeah, ditto. I mean would we play fighting games if we didn't? lol. I mean I'm sure there's some idiot out there who ONLY plays the "powerful but no technique brawler" types like most guests end up being just to show "dumb kung fu asians that we 'mericans are better" but REEEEALLY?

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Yo, this topic isn't about martial arts, it's about palette swap ninjas!
And when it comes to palette swap ninjas, we're still missing at the very least a white ninja and an orange ninja.

Maybe a pinkish-red ninja?

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
Hell no, because then we would see even less of the ones we already have :D New ninjas would be cool, but only after they gave Rain and Smoke a proper send off as base roster characters in one game.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Erron Black is not a ninja. The male ninjas all have some sort of elemental power which he does not

trufenix

bye felicia
the game cannot have anymore ninjas. Scorpion is a ninja and two characters with ninja moves in a fighting game is too many.

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
Yeah More Ninjas
More Monsters like Reptile and Baraka , not 4 arms freaks
More Cyborgs like Kano
More Elder Gods
More Demons
More Vampires and WereWolfs

NRS seems to be afraid of doing those archtypes ?

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I love the Ninjas from old MKs and I hope to get more of them. For me they could add costumes of new modern ninja looks for Ermac, Reptile, Tremor, Mileena, Jade, Kitana, Noob, Smoke but still retain thier new modern looks that defined there personalities.

What I mean by ninjas is a hooded look with the face covered like old style Japanese ninjas.

A female example could be similar to this:

A male example:

They could also divert from this and include CyberNinja looks like Grey Fox from Metal Gear series.

Last edited:
Yeah More Ninjas
More Monsters like Reptile and Baraka , not 4 arms freaks
More Cyborgs like Kano
More Elder Gods
More Demons
More Vampires and WereWolfs

NRS seems to be afraid of doing those archtypes ?
i guess NRS nowdays is not NRS from the old days. They have new blood that has alot of input on the direction of MK.

They obviously seem to care less about eastern mytholgies inspired archtypes. Which is a pity imo. Shang tsung, Quan Chi, Raiden, the ninjas, shaolin monks, Goro all were inspired from eastern mytholgy.

The monster archtypes are also one of my favorites. But NRS seem to lost some good inspiration on them lately. We'll have to wait and see how the new characters end up in MK11. But what NRS likes nowdays is not my cup of thee. So ill wait with low expectations in that regard.

Last edited: