What's new

HOT TAKE: New Mortal Kombat characters should be ninjas.

They should atleast look like they can fight or have some eastern/martial arts influances. Why eastern? Bc MK is about a martial arts tournament (martial arts is from eastern parts 9 out of 10 times)

I defenitly like to see more ninjas, shaolin warriors. or some like old in kung fu fantasy movies. Unfortunatly the new kids @NRS rather ignore the eastern martial arts side of MK..
Don't tell the Brazilians or Americans that

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Wait people don’t consider Erron one of the “ninjas”?

He seems to clearly be designed to be one of them.

And I say “ninjas” with quotations because 90% are not at all ninjas, so I don’t really see why Erron being cowboy flavored disqualified him when you have the likes of a fighting prince, a super criminal, international assassins, a soul monster, and a lizard man.

He’s got the mask, the loin cloth, even a pseudo V with his bandolier(though it’s also an X), and arm bracers.

He also used gadgets/traps like caltrops and sand bombs, which honestly makes him more ninja-y than most of the old guys.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter

And I say “ninjas” with quotations because 90% are not at all ninjas, so I don’t really see why Erron being cowboy flavored disqualified him when you have the likes of a fighting prince, a super criminal, international assassins, a soul monster, and a lizard man.

He’s got the mask, the loin cloth, even a pseudo V with his bandolier(though it’s also an X), and arm bracers.

He also used gadgets/traps like caltrops and sand bombs, which honestly makes him more ninja-y than most of the old guys.
Ugh, I feel sick...

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Erron's not a ninja. He's a western style gunslinger bandit-mercenary who often wore bandannas to hide their identity as they were ya know SHOOTING people and other illegal stuff. His mask is more of an Outworld "fashion" evolution of that bandito look. It also helps to shield your face from nasty high winds and sandstorms which were common in the western USA and are probably extremely bad in the wastelands of Outworld.

Erron Black has ALOT more in common with Kano and Kabal than he does ANY of the "ninjas". Badass mercenary using the tools of the trade. It just so happens that being a badass mercenary and being a badass ninja usually uses the same tactics/tools because they share a similar function just in two different cultures so they do it with a different "flavor" of badassery.

Pizza

Thrill Kill

I agree with you, and the mix of ninja and cowboy was very nice. Curious to see him in MK11.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu

Just to make sure... you're joking, right?

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I hate the whole "slap a mask on it and call it a ninja"... it's so... American.
We aren’t talking about literal ninjas though. MK ninjas aren’t really ninjas outside of technically 2 of them(Scorpion and Takeda). I mean Ninja in the MK sense which is in fact just slapping a mask, a loin cloth, and a maybe a V shaped chest piece on a character that isn’t at all a ninja.

Aside from Reptile, i`ve never even touched a ninja character in MK games. It`s usually just a guy with a teleport and a projectile colored differently anyway. Tremor was a pleasant surprise actually and Noob in MK9.
I don`t mind seeing more monsters though. Monsters that are not part of intellectual property owned by WB, i mean. Baraka`s back and that Collector guy sounds alright and that`s it for this game, i guess.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Noob, Smoke, Reptile, Cyrax, Sektor, Takeda, Kitana, Jade, and Mileena all at least act the "role" of a ninja as professional assassins, spies, or thieves. There may be techincal differences due to cultural differences like not being Japanese, lol, but other than that they serve the same function. Ermac and Rain do not so they break that mold and are "ninja" in visual design origins only. Haven't seen enough of Scarlet to judge and Tanya is only included in the group because she was originally a replacement for Kitana in MK4 (which shouldn't count because that fact alone would make Sindel a ninja, lol, because she was "not-Kitana" in MK3).

Erron Black is more in line with Kano, Kabal (also wears a mask is he now a ninja??), and other Black/Red Dragons. I was actually surprised in MKX that he DIDN'T turn out to secretly have been working with Kano and was a Black Dragon the WHOLE time.

Edit: yeah I forgot Tremor, lol. Add him to the Scarlet list as I'm not sure whether he's more ninja, merc, or other, lol.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Erron's not a ninja. He's a western style gunslinger bandit-mercenary who often wore bandannas to hide their identity as they were ya know SHOOTING people and other illegal stuff. His mask is more of an Outworld "fashion" evolution of that bandito look. It also helps to shield your face from nasty high winds and sandstorms which were common in the western USA and are probably extremely bad in the wastelands of Outworld.

Erron Black has ALOT more in common with Kano and Kabal than he does ANY of the "ninjas". Badass mercenary using the tools of the trade. It just so happens that being a badass mercenary and being a badass ninja usually uses the same tactics/tools because they share a similar function just in two different cultures so they do it with a different "flavor" of badassery.
The doesn’t actually matter.

Just like Subzero being a Chinese warrior assassin, and Tremor being an arms dealer, and Ermac just being a weird soul abomination sorcer being doesn’t matter.

What makes an MK ninja an MK ninja isn’t whether or not they’re literally a ninja, if that was the case then only Scorpion and Takeda would be considered the MK ninjas.

What makes an MK ninja is the mask, the loincloth, a consistent and distinct color palette, some sort of arm bracers, and maybe a V shape somewhere in the design of their chest piece.

Erron checks all of those boxes.

Him being inspired by bandits and outlaws matters about as much as Subzero being inspired by Chinese warriors when it comes to whether or not they are MK ninjas. Also Erron is a hired gun and arms dealer just like Tremor is. If being paid to kill people is all it takes for you to consider somebody a “ninja” as your previous post implies, he still falls into that wheelhouse.

For years now “Ninja” in these games refers to a design type, not an actual character trait or fighting style.

Last edited:

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
The doesn’t actually matter.

Just like Subzero being a Chinese warrior assassin, and Tremor being an arms dealer, and Ermac just being a weird soul abomination sorcer being doesn’t matter.

What makes an MK ninja an MK ninja isn’t whether or not they’re literally a ninja, if that was the case then only Scorpion and Takeda would be considered the MK ninjas.

What makes an MK ninja is the mask, the loincloth, a consistent and distinct color palette, some sort of arm bracers, and maybe a V shape somewhere in the design of their chest piece.

Erron checks all of those boxes.

Him being inspired by bandits and outlaws matters about as much as Subzero being inspired by Chinese warriors when it comes to whether or not they are MK ninjas. Also Erron is a hired gun and arms dealer just like Tremor is. If being paid to kill people is all it takes for you to consider somebody a “ninja” as your previous post implies, he still falls into that wheelhouse.

For years now “Ninja” in these games refers to a design type, not an actual character trait or fighting style.
Yeah design wasn't my only argument. Read other posts. By that argument Kabal is just missing the V shape and he's a ninja.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Yeah design wasn't my only argument. Read other posts. By that argument Kabal is just missing the V shape and he's a ninja.
Your argument is wrong because:

1. Kabal’s mask is full face and in some cases more of a helmet.

I know your smart enough to realize all the traditional MK ninjas have half masks.

2. No arm bracers.

3. No V.

4. No loin-clothe.

5. No consistent and primary color pallete.

Kabal has some of these in some iterations by they are not consistent or core design aspects.

Last edited:

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Your argument is wrong because:

1. Kabal’s mask is full face and in some cases more of a helmet.

I know your smart enough to realize all the traditional MK ninjas have half masks.

2. No arm bracers.

3. No V.

4. No loin-clothe.

5. No consistent and primary color pallete.

Kabal has some of these in some iterations by they are not consistent or core design aspects.
1. Hoods or other nearly full head covering + Half-Face Mask. In some cases more of a helmet or mummy wrap with space for the eyes to amply see.

2. Almost everybody in MK has had bracers at some point.

3. Erron doesn't have a 'V' it's an 'X' formed by his bandoliers. The ninjas also haven't really had a true 'V' shape since their redesigns for UMK3 where they were far more parallel sidebars.

4. That's not a loin-cloth on Erron it's an "Anti-Cage Protection Panel" or "ACPP" for short. They've become extremely popular in Outworld over the last 25 years now that Earthrealm Champions tend to go right for the dick punch.

5. Kabal likes his color palette like he likes his booze. Black and Tan. Sometimes mixes it up with a sickly greenish-brown but we don't judge.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
If reptile comes back he should definitely have the default green ninja skin (human no scales unless mask taken off) as his main look

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Erron Black was the least played new character in MKX, and the second least played character overall after Reptile. Lol.
Erron Black was my favorite new character, but one of my least favorite to play. I hope they made him more fun this time around.