What's new

horror guest fighters brought me into fighting games.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
People can shit on guests all they want, but at the end of the day they absolutely do get new people on board who may have never bought the game otherwise.

Also, I am now interested in watching The Walking Dead, simply because of how cool Negan is in Tekken 7. He's pretty linear with poor range considering he has a bat, but he's still fun, regardless. Guest characters work for both sides.

I don't think people understand how well these guest DLCs do sales wise. Characters like Predator, Jason, Freddy, Alien etc are MASSIVELY popular to the point people will buy the game just to play as them. In many cases, they won't play long, but the money they spend on the game is just as good as our money.

Guest characters aren't EVER going anywhere, so we might as well just embrace it. And if you can look at the guests in MKX and not be impressed with the job NRS did on them, I don't even know what to tell you.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Nah, it's gonna be a no from me dawg.

Remove all guests. This is MK, put that shit in it's own fighting game.
Why would they do that? The guests outsell the MK character DLC by a massive margin. For every person who says they don't want guest characters, the actual numbers show how much in the minority you are.

I don't care about guest characters either, but the simple fact is the public votes with their dollar and the public wants guest characters.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Someone look me in my eyes and tell me Havik, Rain, and Fujin combined would sell more than Spawn alone. Because the fact is they probably wouldn't, they also wouldn't bring in new people who might not have been super interested in MK before.

They won't be happy until NRS go bankrupt making an Armaggedon 2 just to make everyone stfu and even then I'm sure they'll find something else to complain about.

They don't give a fuck if NRS make enough money to continue to support and create these games. They want a roster full of characters they'll never play.

For every 1 person who hates guests there are about 100 more who love them and are paying for them. That's why they're here. People who are in the minority for shit like this stay bitter because they know no matter how hard they complain it won't do anything because those 100 people are still gonna continue to support and buy them and love them as well as request them.

Anyway, I'm hype for Spawn and Pennywise so I'll see y'all bitching when the Kombat Pack gets revealed. The neverending cycle of people not getting the simple hint that guests are here to stay every damn time a game comes out.

(I definitely can't wait for people to say that horror characters are taking up half the roster just to prove how fuckin stupid they are cause they can't do simple math)

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
guest characters are welcome in MK games .... they do not interfere in the story mode and MK lore overall, and , they bring attention to the game, helping to promote it to others potential "target customers" .... ;)

by chance, they are all well developed and done .... no complains regarding their appearence and gameplay, NRS did excellent job with Freddy Krueger, Jason, Leatherface, Alien and Predator, all of them, were pretty well done homaged in MK games, so what ? :D

I hope they outdid themselves this time in MK11, and bring more awesome and amazing well made guests characters :)

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Someone look me in my eyes and tell me Havik, Rain, and Fujin combined would sell more than Spawn alone. Because the fact is they probably wouldn't, they also wouldn't bring in new people who might not have been super interested in MK before.

They won't be happy until NRS go bankrupt making an Armaggedon 2 just to make everyone stfu and even then I'm sure they'll find something else to complain about.

They don't give a fuck if NRS make enough money to continue to support and create these games. They want a roster full of characters they'll never play.

For every 1 person who hates guests there are about 100 more who love them and are paying for them. That's why they're here. People who are in the minority for shit like this stay bitter because they know no matter how hard they complain it won't do anything because those 100 people are still gonna continue to support and buy them and love them as well as request them.

Anyway, I'm hype for Spawn and Pennywise so I'll see y'all bitching when the Kombat Pack gets revealed. The neverending cycle of people not getting the simple hint that guests are here to stay every damn time a game comes out.

(I definitely can't wait for people to say that horror characters are taking up half the roster just to prove how fuckin stupid they are cause they can't do simple math)
But don't you think it's kinda sad that MK in itself isn't enough to be interesting enough to bring in new people? Don't you think it's a shame that the MK characters aren't good enough for some people? That Mortal Kombat as a brand isn't considered good enough for people to play the game?

I personally think it is, but it really does come across as WB not being confident enough in MK without guest characters to bring in the sales they are reaching for. I think it's a shame that it is expected of MK to have a handful of guest characters in it now to bring in more sales and more players.

To me, MK is enough in its own. I love MK for MK. And I can't help but feel a bit sad that there are people who just don't think that's good enough.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
Well duuuuuh, thx Dude. We really didn't notice that they boost sells numbers. It doesn't change the fact that most of them are shitty anyway.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Exactly, people say they like Rain because he's a cool-looking purple ninja ( note that they gave sub-zero a purple skin this time), but let's be real he squirts water like a pokemon and he stole Nightworlf's thunder attack. Nightwolf alone would sell more than all of those combined.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
But don't you think it's kinda sad that MK in itself isn't enough to be interesting enough to bring in new people? Don't you think it's a shame that the MK characters aren't good enough for some people? That Mortal Kombat as a brand isn't considered good enough for people to play the game?
MK11 will sell 4 million copies or some crap its plenty enough people
but no MK alone, an established 20+ year franchise will not bring in new people that never cared about fighting games to begin with. People know what MK is, they already know if it interests them or not. So no MK itself won't be enough for some people, but guest characters will.

One of my friends bought soul calibur 5 specifically cause the assassins creed guy was a guest character
another one of my friends bought SC6 specifically cause 2B was a guest character
Without those guest characters, those games would have never gotten the sale, period.

Guest characters bring in an audience that would buy the game that simply doesn't exist otherwise.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Why would they do that? The guests outsell the MK character DLC by a massive margin. For every person who says they don't want guest characters, the actual numbers show how much in the minority you are.

I don't care about guest characters either, but the simple fact is the public votes with their dollar and the public wants guest characters.
Oh I know. And they never will, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

They look terrible, they make stupid fucking noises (leatherface) or don't even talk, and they don't fit in the game imo.

I don't really like SF, but at least they don't include a bunch of random non SF characters. Why can't we have that style? Then again, maybe they do, I don't really follow other fighters.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I don't really like SF, but at least they don't include a bunch of random non SF characters. Why can't we have that style? Then again, maybe they do, I don't really follow other fighters.
What are Cody, Guy, Abigail, Rolento, Poison, if not guest characters :eek:

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Why would it be sad?
It's the whole mindset of Mortal Kombat in itself just isn't good enough to bring in more players and fans that kinda makes me sad. That there are people who indeed do think like that, and that it feels like WB just isn't confident enough in their product that they feel the need to put in guest characters to bring in more sales.

I know you're right though about MK being the best selling fighting game franchise, but I hope that there's still new people who look at the game and fall in love with it without it being because of guest characters.

What are Cody, Guy, Abigail, Rolento, Poison, if not guest characters :eek:
They are in-universe characters.
The first Final Fight was actually supposed to be Street Fighter 2 before SF2 was a thing. The characters exist within the same canon universe, so they slowly started introducing the FF characters into the SF games as playable characters. But they're not considered guest characters.

I changed my mind about them. Before I didn't like them at all, but now they don't bug me as long as they bring something new to the game. I liked Jason and Predator in MKX, I think that Alien was okay, not my cup of tea but it doesn't bother me to have him. I didn't like Leatherface however.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me

I personally think it is, but it really does come across as WB not being confident enough in MK without guest characters to bring in the sales they are reaching for. I think it's a shame that it is expected of MK to have a handful of guest characters in it now to bring in more sales and more players.

To me, MK is enough in its own. I love MK for MK. And I can't help but feel a bit sad that there are people who just don't think that's good enough.
It's not about not being good enough, it's about expanding. It's about grabbing people's attention with these guest characters and using them as a way to introduce them to this world and this game.

How many people do you think saw Predator was a DLC in Mortal Kombat and thought "Oh shit, Predator in a fighting game? I should check that out!" And then got hooked on not only the game itself but the world of MK? Maybe they played Predator, saw the MK characters and thought "Woah, there are a lot of cool people here." maybe they played the story and loved it?

That's what guests are for. They're bringing in new people while giving the people who are already there something different.

Example: I asked my sister if she was going to be interested in playing MK with me on my Birthday (the game comes out the day before). She said probably not. Then I told her that Pennywise might be coming out as DLC later this year and she was immediately interested.

Something that annoys me are people who say "Why can't you love Mortal Kombat for what it is?" As if loving and wanting Guest Characters makes me less of a fan. I'm sorry I'm not on my knees begging for some obscure fucking 3D era character that only about 10% of the player base will recognize and be interested in.

kantboy-2

Ripper
If Leatherface had never been in a horror movie all players would've loved this 'new' MK character who' s fun to play and has a crazy story niche (serial killer) missing from MK lore.

But screw that; beige ninja missing, want now!

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
MK11 will sell 4 million copies or some crap its plenty enough people
but no MK alone, an established 20+ year franchise will not bring in new people that never cared about fighting games to begin with. People know what MK is, they already know if it interests them or not. So no MK itself won't be enough for some people, but guest characters will.

One of my friends bought soul calibur 5 specifically cause the assassins creed guy was a guest character
another one of my friends bought SC6 specifically cause 2B was a guest character
Without those guest characters, those games would have never gotten the sale, period.

Guest characters bring in an audience that would buy the game that simply doesn't exist otherwise.
Opportunity cost. Anecdotes about this guy buying the game because x character works both ways. You have mk fans saying they skip buying the passes because of guest characters on principal. Im sure people didnt pick up mkx at full price because fujin wasnt announced over leatherface or whatever.

At the end of the day, they can put Lebron James as guest character or any other celebrity. Im sure it would make a pretty penny. Doesnt change that people who buy MK games prefer MK characters in their game does it? Pointing to how much money they generate doesnt mean anything to people who dont directly profit from guest characters.