What's new

horror guest fighters brought me into fighting games.

SUPAHJD

Horror Guest Shill
So, I made this topic off a fun little fact and a reason I kinda roll my eyes every time I see: "WELL, THIS SERIES HAS ABOUT 90 CHARACTERS! SCRAP THE GUEST DLC!".

I was always a big gamer, and always liked fighting games when at an arcade. I used to think I was great at them, spending a ton of time on things like Marvel Vs Capcom 2 and such. But outside of that, I never really played them all that much on my consoles. I did some times, like Tekken and Soul Calibur but it was nothing I'd say I was a huge fan of besides Smash Bros. Which was my core fighting game -inb4dasnotawealfightingame!!!- growing up.

So, years went by like this through generation and generation. A fun key note, I always had a ton of love for the horror movie genre. I loved being scared and the aesthetic of horror. To the point where there was a time where I kept wishing we would have some sort of "horror smash bros" -leave young me alone-. So, skip to MK9. Freddy is revealed to be in the game. I never fanboyed so hard. I remember looking up so much speculation, so much to the point I was believing in things like "Robert Englund Freddy is his alternative outfit!" and such.

I already know of Mortal Kombat and liked it when I got to play it, but this was the game that brought me in. So, I tried playing Freddy a bit. It was pretty cool, I'll admit. I started to play a bit more of Mortal Kombat since that point.

I already wanted to play MKX but once I heard the rumors of Jason coming into the game, it was another immediate sell to me. I started to pick up and try out a ton more fighting games and actually take the time to learn combos, and the different terms of fighting games. Now we're at MK11 and I'm sold.

Tekken already had me sold but then they played around and added Negan.

TL;DR: Understand that these guests actually do bring in players and they might do a ton more than just bring people into buying that individual game but also get people into an entire genre.

Espio

Kokomo
Welcome, glad to have you. That's fine they bring in new players and that you are sticking around, but that doesn't mean people have to like or support the inclusion of guests. NRS games do a phenomenal job of portraying the uniqueness of their characters so it is unsurprising that people want to see old school characters redone over a guest they may have no attachment to as a character. It's different strokes for different folks.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Leatherface remains THE most fun there is for me to have in MKX, by far.

Jason, Predator and Alien were all solid as well, but I never would've spent as many hours in the game without Killer Face.

I think the only movie guest they've ever made that I wasn't crazy about WAS Freddy. But that's because no Robert Englund, and the sound of his claw attacks drove me insane. Beyond that, that character was disgusting good.

Listen to the nephew, y'all.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Wow. Well said man.

I'm even guilty of the "ugh... why is this guest guy in my game" thing but I actually never realize that it could be bringing in people that are in for the long haul.

We really should be welcoming the idea that decisions like these that NRS makes that bring in more sales aren't just benefiting them, it's benefiting the FGC overall. Great stuff. You've converted me.;)

Resistible

MK fan since '92
It's close to 80 not 90, and I say that jokingly. I don't personally mind if NRS decides to make a game similar to Terrordrome but for me, there were characters that had a lot of potential during the 3D era who could be looked at in a new light or expanded on. I've been a fan of Mortal Kombat since it first came out and when I see Jason or Leatherface in DLC I think that could've gone to Havik, Drahmin, Nitara, or Fujin.

If they want to continue doing guests from horror movies like Pennywise or Michael Myers for MK11, I think they should put them in their own Kombat Pack separate from MK characters.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Cassie was my main in MKX, but Predator was always my second choice. His move set and combos were so fun to do. I think they do this to keep things fresh, and sure we can sit here all day and say that we’d want all the MK characters in this game but we’d get tired of it. And trying to constantly reinvent the same characters over and over probably gets old real fast and if the developers have no passion then that really shows in their work.

I don’t hear people talk about Armageddon that much and it basically had all the characters. Mk9 is always the one that stands out and get praised even today because of the gameplay, not because it had all the classic characters in one game. They picked a good cast and executed every character really well and that’s what really stood out.

I think that’s been their core mindset ever since and it shows in the way they reinvent game mechanics and characters every time they put out a game.

SUPAHJD

Horror Guest Shill
Thank you all for taking the time to read it.

I completely understand people wanting their favorites or not liking guests. This is mainly to shed another perspective on it. Without guests, I would have never fallen in love with some of these characters and the fighting game series as much as I have.

Believe me though, at this point? I really want NRS to push for a horror fighter. I know the difficulty it must be to pull such a thing off seeing as how each company owns a different part of a character, etc. But I feel like if they already show they can put Jason and Leatherface into a game together, Alien and Predator in the same one, I feel this idea that they can pull a profitable horror fighter off isn't too out there.

And I truly believe it would make bank. All that said, this was as said, just to share another light on it.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Leatherface remains THE most fun there is for me to have in MKX, by far.

Jason, Predator and Alien were all solid as well, but I never would've spent as many hours in the game without Killer Face.

I think the only movie guest they've ever made that I wasn't crazy about WAS Freddy. But that's because no Robert Englund, and the sound of his claw attacks drove me insane. Beyond that, that character was disgusting good.

Listen to the nephew, y'all.
Dude honestly though.

Leatherface was such well designed and fun character from a fighting game standpoint.

He also had unarguably some of the absolute best brutalities in the game and an amazing X-Ray that IMO was always satisfying to see.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Nice, just proves not everyone is against guest characters. huh? Ed actually had a poll recently on his twitter asking for the hell of it if we'd want an MK vs SF, DC vs. Marvel or Horror fighting game. DC vs Marvel won the poll however.

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
People these days have a hard time enjoying what they have, they always want more and more and when they get it? Well, they still want more.

This forum makes it seems like there are more than 5 people on this planet who actually want Rain and Havik in the game, but the reality is they're not wanted across the board and NRS are bringing well-known guest characters that they know are going to sell more than MK rejects.

If I was a life long fan of Spawn and I saw he was in this game, would I get it? Heck ya. If I would see Arnold as Terminator, would I grab it just for the nostalgia? Absolutely. The inclusion of these characters doesn't mean you have to like or play them, and there's a huge chance your main's already in the game or will be DLC.

This issue is really blown up for no reason. The more sells NRS makes, the better for all of us as a community.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who loves horror! I'm a big fan of all these movies and I loved playing Jason in MKX. There's many MK characters I still want for MK11, but this guy is up there as well:

Last edited:

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
No one's ever said adding guest characters to lure in new players didn't work - and if someone did say that, they were lying. There's a reason they are so popular and sell so well.

There's still not a single one that's appealed to me though, and I would honestly rather do without them.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
MK characters in Injustice aside, which is objectively awful, the hardcore fanbase loves MK so damn much that some can't even fathom the idea that they're in the minority and guests are appealing to 98% of people out there.

Some people tried really hard to convince themselves nobody knows who Leatherface is when I guarantee you he'd sell far more than Fujin.