What's new

horror guest fighters brought me into fighting games.

methademic

UPR Methademic
I'm on board for one or two, when half of your dlc is movie characters it's kind of meh. But hey, to each their own!

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Guests were fine up until they decided that literally half the MKX DLC characters had to be guests. Now they are trash and in need of a cool down.

I don't care if they bring people in and sell. We know, we are not idiots, but like everything else they should have been done in moderation.

Last edited:

SUPAHJD

Horror Guest Shill
Few things to mention: I completely understand people thinking there was far too much in MKX. I personally didn't care but my title is my title for a reason. Leatherface, Jason, Predator, Alien. That shit was dope for someone like me.

I would love to hope and dream with the sale rate of these characters, NRS is like "Hey, ya know what? Maybe a Mortal Kombat Horror game truly is a good idea", but that's for another day. Sadly, unlike a majority, I'm all in spirit for another four guests, lol. Especially if it goes with something like Ash Williams, Pennywise, Chucky [how], and some other wild off the wall character like Dredd or something.

As for not liking Mortal Kombat for being Mortal Kombat. I mean, to a degree. I'll speak from my perspective, I thought it was always like on paper, a really dope idea but the characters I kinda slept on. Don't get me wrong, I love the design. But you had Tekken who had a mix of everything. Street Fighter did as well. Mortal Kombat to me, from a cover perspective or some videos was a bunch of changed palette colored ninjas, some fine women, guns and gore off the wall. Which was cool but I was never really a ninja guy.

Of course, going into it now and learning the lore, I have some apprecation. But I wouldn't have done it outside of these guest DLC. I now have a strong love for characters like Subzero, Raiden, Johnny Cage, Cassie Cage, Jax, Kano. But it wasn't until I played for Freddy that I realized this.

I do think people will love Mortal Kombat for being Mortal Kombat when they have a reason to get into it. I just gotta say for my own experience, at the cover value alone, the ninja shit never interested me.

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
Horror characters made me dislike the franchise a bit more. I still love it enough, and I can easily leave the guests out of my games though, which is a good thing.

SUPAHJD

Horror Guest Shill
Horror characters made me dislike the franchise a bit more. I still love it enough, and I can easily leave the guests out of my games though, which is a good thing.
Not saying you're wrong for that mindset but why did it make you dislike it?

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
Not saying you're wrong for that mindset but why did it make you dislike it?
I don't like guest characters in ANY game, I don't like the greed of big companies, I don't like guests taking the place of actual characters that belong in the game.

But good for them I guess, I loved the simpleness of the 90ties, it was so cute back there, no greed, no big money talk. Just love and good music. Lol

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
But don't you think it's kinda sad that MK in itself isn't enough to be interesting enough to bring in new people? Don't you think it's a shame that the MK characters aren't good enough for some people? That Mortal Kombat as a brand isn't considered good enough for people to play the game?

I personally think it is, but it really does come across as WB not being confident enough in MK without guest characters to bring in the sales they are reaching for. I think it's a shame that it is expected of MK to have a handful of guest characters in it now to bring in more sales and more players.

To me, MK is enough in its own. I love MK for MK. And I can't help but feel a bit sad that there are people who just don't think that's good enough.
No one is saying MK isn't enough on its own. The rational people are admitting that guest characters sell better than the deep cut characters that we beg for on here because casuals don't give a shit about Fujin.

MK without guests would still outsell every fighter out there right now, so let's not act like there's no interest in the actual MK universe. It's simply that guest characters boost the numbers even more.

A buddy of mine played the shit out of my copy of MKX when we were roommates. He'd never buy the game himself. Having said that, if the Mountain from Game of Thrones was a guest character, he'd buy the shit out of it because of his love for GOT.

And here's a novel thought, everyone - ONLY BUY THE CHARACTERS YOU LIKE.

I appreciate your perspective... but slasher guests suck. I'd much rather see guest characters that are actual warriors/fighters (like Kratos and Predator), and not taking up half the DLC spots.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
Funny to see this topic. I brought MKX to a birthday party last weekend because I knew everyone who was coming were big horror nerds. Most of them are pretty casual, they like their JRPGs, WoW, mess around with some Overwatch now and then.

They got IN to MKX.

Sure, it was just lots and lots of button mashing, but the spark was there. As soon as Jason dragged a teenager into the arena at the end of his machete they were all down for more. They all loved Leatherface and his variations based on different films, Alien popping out eggs in the middle of the fight, lost it at Carl Weathers Jax. They wanted to see all the fatalities, brutalities, and moves.

I get why purists would rather see the slots used for traditional MK characters, but those horror characters are such crowd pleasers I don't care. Bring on the freaks.

SUPAHJD

Horror Guest Shill
I appreciate your perspective... but slasher guests suck. I'd much rather see guest characters that are actual warriors/fighters (like Kratos and Predator), and not taking up half the DLC spots.
But I mean, some of these dudes have a perfect fit in this Mortal Kombat realm.

People wanting Ash Williams is completely justified seeing as how he has been fighting deadites that... weirdly at times use martial arts and his entire world is gory.

Freddy has fought people in a same way in some of the lesser quality movies and in the comics.

Pennywise is literally an entity that exists out of the love of fear and consumption.

I mean, I could go on with a big list if I had to but I could genuinely make an argument for each slasher in the game and each slasher who wants to show up into the game.

Truth be told, no guests kinda take my interest out of the DLC. Because I could honestly care less if another Crayola ninja makes it in or guy who appeared in MK4 and MK7 and now he's the crowd favorite.

But that's me. I totally get why long time fans would.