What's new

HItbox/Fight stick

Noob
Can anybody give me a run down of how they feel about hitbox's vs fightsticks.

I play with a fight stick. And will be rebuilding it in Jan. But I am not sure if I should try a Hitbox layout.
So anybody who has used both and liked both, what would your pros and cons be.

Thanks.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I play on both.

I guess the easiest answer is your own personal preference really but I'll give my opinion.

I've been using stick since I was in the arcades so I've been a stick main for over 20+ years.
Pros:

Vast amount of modding and customization you can do on stick vs pad or hitbox. From changing to square, circle or octagonal gates. To going even further beyond buy equipping korean and Japenese crowns.

It's completely endless the possibilities you can do to enhance or simply your gaming on stick to how quick or slow you want to control executions. How hard or soft to tap out your inputs. To even choosing rubber vs plastic for gates or how strong or weak your swing can be can help you control your jlf coming back to neutral.

Stick is awesome and is built and used for every fighting game.

Con: I guess I would say learning curve and parts. Aslo the fact it's not a hitbox.

I've been using Hitbox since June of this year so I'm no pro hitbox player like hitbox tyrant or REO back in mk9 days. Even though I'll say a few things pro and con.

Pro.
Extremely crisp cardinal inputs are executed flawlessly DAY ONE!!

Unique design of the button layout. Both cardinal buttons and input buttons are the smaller 24 mm with the up button being the standard 30mm. Its better on the bottom. Brilliant.

Bf, half circle, qtr circle, du/ud motions aren't easy.

Despite it being smaller then I thought it fits perfectly in your lap. And its super light and very sleek.

You feel superior using this. Its a Hitbox. It's the Lamborghini of arcade sticks like the elite controller is the Bugatti of Controllers. Trust me. You'll find it hard to go back to pad or stick. Only keyboards maybe bring in a bit of an argument.

Cons:
360 up to 720 motions can be trickery. Even Ewgf and commando Kano's dbf command grabs can be very tricky to pull off. Especially mid combo or off of a tick throw set up. Even on command you'll wiff motions like this.

Speed. You might start tapping out your motions too fast and really have learn to try and take it slow.

Learning curve can be steep. You can learn it quickly but mastering it is a completely different ball game.

That's all I can think right now. Hope it helps.

Noob
Thanks for the response. I really appreciate the answer. It has cleared up a lot for me.

One question though. Why are the direction and attack buttons so close. Do players use either left or right thumb depending on the situation when pressing up. Or is it just cosmetic. I have printed one out and sat with my hands on it and I feel it isn't that ergonomic. I feel my hands are rotated in a bit to much.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
sawna parts are awesome for sticks, if my country were facing shipping issues as well, i would definitely buy parts for my Hori one, which i grew very fond of it, since SSF4 AE until now.

Can anybody give me a run down of how they feel about hitbox's vs fightsticks.

I play with a fight stick. And will be rebuilding it in Jan. But I am not sure if I should try a Hitbox layout.
So anybody who has used both and liked both, what would your pros and cons be.

Thanks.
when i made myself a case i had someone trace my hands on paper, and made my layout from that. might help ya, might not

Lanqu

Noob
Guys, tell me please, what is more suitable for inputs like Reptile Nimble has:

f4. bf2, f4, bf2
and commando kano grabs like dfb inputs?

Lanqu

Noob
Imn't able to press that so damn fast with bare fingers. For example Kano tick throw b1 into grab - makes my fingers bleeding

Imn't able to press that so damn fast with bare fingers. For example Kano tick throw b1 into grab - makes my fingers bleeding
Practice, bro. Build up them calluses. Or dont slam the buttons down. Figure out just how much pressure you need to activate the button

Belial

Noob
Hitbox is pretty much superior to everything else. Espeically when its NRS games, due to lack of halfcircle motions.

Villanious Monk post is on point, but his judgement is a bit clouded by the fact hes been playing on stick for a long time. Its not even remotely as hard to input bf, du, or dbf motions on hitbox. In fact I found it easier to do on hitbox than on fightstick that i've tried around the same time as hitbox or pad, that i've been using for 10 years.

One problem with hitbox compared to stick is that on hitbox you can bypass directional input when performing circle-motion. For example if you do bdf on a stick you will automatically input b, bd, d, df, f. On hitbox you actually have to press every direction if game calls for it (MKX doesnt, but others do).
However its totally managable.

Actually hitbox allow so much better motion control it results in better motion speed and eventually you're able to do circles much faster than on fightstick.

Other problem that might be significant is that average person ring finger is less developed than index finger. That will cause some discomfort with exectution on p2 (or p1 depending on the move) side. Once again, its nothing managable.

Actually hitbox is so easy to use and everything comes so natural with it, that every execution diffiulty seem a "con". But on pad or stick there are more execution problems than on hitbox.

Lanqu

Noob
Hitbox is pretty much superior to everything else. Espeically when its NRS games, due to lack of halfcircle motions.

Villanious Monk post is on point, but his judgement is a bit clouded by the fact hes been playing on stick for a long time. Its not even remotely as hard to input bf, du, or dbf motions on hitbox. In fact I found it easier to do on hitbox than on fightstick that i've tried around the same time as hitbox or pad, that i've been using for 10 years.

One problem with hitbox compared to stick is that on hitbox you can bypass directional input when performing circle-motion. For example if you do bdf on a stick you will automatically input b, bd, d, df, f. On hitbox you actually have to press every direction if game calls for it (MKX doesnt, but others do).
However its totally managable.

Actually hitbox allow so much better motion control it results in better motion speed and eventually you're able to do circles much faster than on fightstick.

Other problem that might be significant is that average person ring finger is less developed than index finger. That will cause some discomfort with exectution on p2 (or p1 depending on the move) side. Once again, its nothing managable.

Actually hitbox is so easy to use and everything comes so natural with it, that every execution diffiulty seem a "con". But on pad or stick there are more execution problems than on hitbox.
Wow thank you a lot! im going to try hitbox because Im training that nimble run combos for about a year already and still dropping

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I play stick and Hitbox. Hitbox, for me, literally wins in every aspect.

- Travel time between motions is reduced significantly, which aids reacting to things easier such as DP'ing
-Speaking of DP'ing, there are shortcuts on Hitbox that make inputing Z motions quicker than or as quick as being able to throw a fireball, it's fantastic
-Generally, whilst there may be a steeper learning curve depending on your backround/experience, motions tend to be easier to execute in my experience. Fireballs, DP's, half/quarter circles and even NRS command grabs all of them are easier - a person above me said they're harder to do and I disagree 100%; it's muuuch easier to do on hitbox (I do have more than 2 years experience on Hitbox though)

But as said many times before, it's all down to what you prefer man.

EmoScoobyDoo

Maybe I'll have something to say ... Probably not
having used a hitbox for over 3 years I can say it's better in every aspect, literally the only problem i have anymore is 720 motions, but then ive never had a reason to sit down and learn them (dont play zangief or any kof grapplers)

360 motions in SF can be done by going :r:qtr:d:qtl:l:u+P because it's input system is very lenient

:d:u is simple because of the SOCDs built in to hitboxes (pressing both at once makes up take priority) so you just hold down and then tap up and youll get your move

the SOCDs also allow very fast dash motions, combine that with being able to use either thumb for jump and Instant air dashing in anime fighters is stupidly easy tap:u hold :rtap :l very quickly and you should get an instant air dash because the tapping of back makes your input go back to neutral for a split second and you get the second forward input

the dbf inputs in nrs games gave me a little trouble trouble at first because of the same reason you can have trouble with half circles, you have to make sure you arent going to fast and make sure you fully hit the :l instead of going from :qtl to :r

the dbf inputs in nrs games gave me a little trouble trouble at first because of the same reason you can have trouble with half circles, you have to make sure you arent going too fast and make sure you fully hit the :l instead of going from :qtl to :r
I can attest to this. I'd also like to mention that due to the ring finger being generally weak for most people (or at least mine is), doing DBF motions are a pain on P1's side. While on P2's side they're a breeze. It's just something I'll have to personally work on. But it's something to keep in mind when you pick up a HitBox.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
360 motions in SF can be done by going :r:qtr:d:qtl:l:u+P because it's input system is very lenient
Also, it may be noteworthy for me to add that in Street Fighter you don't have to input the SPD motion clockwise or counter clockwise or even include the diagonal inputs. Street Fighter looks in the buffer for specifically :u, :d, :l, :r and an attack button all seperately but in any order. This means you can input:
:l,:r( :d,:u+Attack) - I put up and down in brackets to indicate that you sort of almost plink them and can hold them since :u+:d= :u, meaning you can get it really quickly with practice. Or if you are an NRS player primarily you can input the DBF motion like an NRS command grab then press :u+Attack (which is what I do, personally).

Last edited:

JJ44NB

Noob
Thanks for the response. I really appreciate the answer. It has cleared up a lot for me.

One question though. Why are the direction and attack buttons so close. Do players use either left or right thumb depending on the situation when pressing up. Or is it just cosmetic. I have printed one out and sat with my hands on it and I feel it isn't that ergonomic. I feel my hands are rotated in a bit to much.
So, I have used my HitBox for pretty much the entire duration of this game. As far as using the jump button, it kind of just depends which hand is free while doing a combo. I usually use my right thumb. I personally love the layout of the hitbox. I have rather large hands, and they never feel cramped up or twisted. If you are interested in using one, but are not sure about forking up ~$220, perhaps you might be able to find a friend who has one?? You really cannot describe what it is like until you begin to use one and become comfortable with it.. :)

EmoScoobyDoo

I can attest to this. I'd also like to mention that due to the ring finger being generally weak for most people (or at least mine is), doing DBF motions are a pain on P1's side. While on P2's side they're a breeze. It's just something I'll have to personally work on. But it's something to keep in mind when you pick up a HitBox.
My left ring finger was the bane of my existence in early injustice, on P1 side i think i think i stopped using my ring finger for that motion all together and it was fixed

I made one for myself for 30 bucks or something like that. Well + 25 bucks gamepad. Genious MaxFire Blaze3.
So lets say 60 bucks. Wood you can get cheap. Depending what kind of wood. And better looking design you want, more its gonna cost you.
So you can try making one, try if friend has one. And then if you like it you can buy it.

I use gamepad and hitbox. And hitbox is better. Gamepad can be good enough for most characters. Good enough so you dont really feel or need that difference.

EmoScoobyDoo

If you don't use your ring finger for DBF, then how do you do it?
for that motion on p1 side i hit :d with my index, :l with my middle and :r with my index, its similar to how most people dont use their pinky fingers to hit the 2 rightmost buttons

Noob
Thanks gents. I'm sold. I like the fact that I can hammer on without having to lift my fingers again. The hold back and tap forward to get back, forward, back is perfect and suits my hands perfectly. I like having that buff option.

I plan on making a cheap mock up and running on a Brooks UFB. If it goes as well as I assume it will I will rebuild with better buttons. Haha. Totally syked. Cant wait to go home and play some MKX.

I personally have played both, and I would be playing hitbox if I had the time to adjust. I've been playing stick for over 25 years so it comes natural, and I don't have the time to invest in re learning.

What I did do however, is use the hitbox 24mm attack button layout for my new custom stick, best of both worlds.