What's new

Question Here is your Kommunity Top 10. Do you agree?

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
Tourney placements show player results, not character viability. And this is a poll, not a tier list.

You're all wrong, and you all lose.
Keep up the good drama. :)

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Kitana is easily a top 10 character and all of you guys who don't think so are downplayers. ;)

Reptile is also easily top 10.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Lets talk about characters that had a high SD.

Kung Lao, Skarlet, and Kitty had very high SD's which means that there were more "over the board" placements in peoples' votes.

Those are the three characters that our community seems to have a hard time placing currently. Where should Kung Lao actually be? Skarlet? Kitty? etc. We all seem to agree that they are very good characters, we just can't find any consistency on where they should be. These three characters are where our community divides the most according to the stats.

Once we look at the stats like this, we can really have very interesting conversations about the characters and our perception of them.
Kung Lao should be at number 2 or 3. (With Kenshi being in the other spot)

Kitana should be 9 or 10. (With Smoke being in the other spot)

and I don't think Skarlet should be in top 10. Better candidates in Reptile and Liu Kang.

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
Lol, this is my exact top 10. It's just out of order and I had Kitana and Liu tied.

Characters with higher Sd aren't necessarily worse. It's not like the voting is restricted to only people who know absolutely everything about every character. The only reason anyone would place skarlet outside the top 10 is because they have absolutely no idea how good she is.

Extremely fast projectiles, check. Air projectiles, check. Insane rush down game, check. tons of armor, check. ridiculous mixups, check. resets, check. Super high damage, check. Tons of chip from frame traps, check. Tiny hit box on D3 that has the ability to AA cross overs, check. Shitty teleport, also check.

Honestly, where would you place johnny if his wakeup kick or red kick were a mixup, You could use armored F4s, he had a teleport, could reset you, those armored mixups led to 48% midscreen combos, his regular wakeups had armor, plus he had faster and better projectiles, the best throw in the game, plus an air projectile?

You'd call him bullshit. I'd just call him skarlet. I would put skarlet easily in the top 5 along with Kabal, Cyrax, Sonya, and Kung Lao.

Acceptable. Gets a little sketchy after #6 but that's to be expected from a community who thinks the only way a fighting game will be balanced is if every matchup is 5-5 across the board.
5-5 is what balance means. favorable matchups or unfavorable matchups (or even tier lists) can only exist if there's imbalance.

Explain how a game can have complete balance when there's intrinsic imbalance. That would be entertaining to hear.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
5-5 is what balance means. favorable matchups or unfavorable matchups (or even tier lists) can only exist if there's imbalance.
So what you're saying is, there's no such thing as a balanced fighting game, correct?

Yes. Right now, there is no such thing as a completely balanced fighting game. Unless pro wrestling or karate champ count. :p And even then it could be argued that Fighter Hayabusa is D tier compared to Starman.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
Kung Lao should be at number 2 or 3. (With Kenshi being in the other spot)

Kitana should be 9 or 10. (With Smoke being in the other spot)

and I don't think Skarlet should be in top 10. Better candidates in Reptile and Liu Kang.
skarlet is top 10 kitana and smoke are the debatable ones imo. johnny is in the top 10 for sure I would say 8 and under the other top 7

Espio

Kokomo
So what you're saying is, there's no such thing as a balanced fighting game, correct?
When people talk about balance, at least most people, I feel they're talking about not having dominant, one sided match ups, where everyone has a pretty reasonable shot overall in their match ups.

6-4 and such are fine, the main gripes people usually have is the 8-2, 9-1 and in some cases 7-3's.

I'm entering the conversation late, but everything being 5-5 isn't what I feel most people mean when they say a balanced game.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
When you know how to fight skarlet, she really isn't that good. Definitely not top 5-10 material. Also I'd replace kitana with jax.
If you find a auto-skarlet i believe your statement is true, other than that i would hearty disagree, because a skarlet player that knows exactly what to do will only make your life harder every time you learn a new stuff in the MU.

When people talk about balance, at least most people, I feel they're talking about not having dominant, one sided match ups, where everyone has a pretty reasonable shot overall in their match ups.

6-4 and such are fine, the main gripes people usually have is the 8-2, 9-1 and in some cases 7-3's.

I'm entering the conversation late, but everything being 5-5 isn't what I feel most people mean when they say a balanced game.
This may be true, but my point wasn't so much in regards to what most people "mean when they say 'balance'." It was more referring to what truly complete balance actually is, which is literally 5-5.

Whether or not complete balance is even desirable (something I've only considered recently), is another discussion all together. Who doesn't like the idea of winning matchups that are heavily stacked agaist them? You can't get that with complete balance.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
His footsie game is incredible man what are you talking about? Maybe the best D3 in the game, one of the best D4's in the game, stupid ass D4-chestsaw, net is always scary, bombs are very good for forcing opponent positioning, F2 despite being slow grants 11 plus frames on block and it has great range, AA is good for mobility or for actually AA'ing lol and he has a ton of other shit.

Not to add the dumbest mix-up in the game....command grab death loop vs reset death. His damage is the best and on top of that he gets free mix-ups after taking 70+% of your life. He gets out zoned by good zoners but well placed/well timed bombs are a good way to force a zoner out of position and once Cyrax is in he's very dangerous. His rushdown is highly underrated.
Cyrax's footsie game is good, but it's not Top 5 good IMO. By no means am I an experienced player, but I've watched enough high level play that I'm comfortable saying I think he belongs at least 2 places lower. His biggest problem to me, what puts him below other top-tiers, is that he can't convert damage out of anything other than high strings, slow projectiles, or risky mindgames.

He has one overhead that you can combo out of and it's slow as hell (b2). His fastest standing poke is 9 frames. His d3 is 9 frames, -9 on block and +1 on standing hit, which is good but I don't know if it puts it in "OH SHIT HO" status. d4~buzzsaw is a cool 50/50, but if you managed to low block a d4, you should immediately block high and be ready to tech a CG because what else is he gonna do? He's at 0 frame advantage anyway off a blocked d4. And if you get hit with the saw, you've taken a whopping 8%, which isn't so bad considering what he can do out of nets.

lol CG is not a death loop and your alternative is not eating a combo. Tech that shit if your opponent is getting predictable, or if you have huge balls just don't block the jip and see if they whiff a grab. I don't recommend doing that, but it's been done to me -_-' ...d4 and AAt are beast, I'm not gonna fuck with you on that. Ragdoll is also insane because you can make any high string on block safe and build some meter. I think Rax's zoning game is too easy to work your way out of even for rushdown characters like Cage, and too easy to blow up for more mobile characters like Lao. It's only really effective when you have your opponent pinned in the corner. Bomb pressure is unsafe up close, you have to toss a bomb from like 1/2 screen and then approach.

Block high, know what to poke out of, and play smart against his zoning game and you won't be eating resets. I'm not downplaying him as a high-tier or top-tier, and I'm not claiming to be as knowledgeable as high-level players, but I just think he's a few spaces too high.

Are you high?
Yes. Are you?

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Groove Heaven

2 hits mid, and is 0 on block. 21 is 0 on block, if you are blocking standing 1 ,11, 1,2 are combo mind games too. Toss in Command grab and Cyrax is terrifying up close. Not to mention he can get ballsy and end one of them in net and take away either 2 bars or 80 percent from you.

Reactions: SLy

NKZero

Noob
Cyrax's footsie game is good, but it's not Top 5 good IMO. By no means am I an experienced player, but I've watched enough high level play that I'm comfortable saying I think he belongs at least 2 places lower. His biggest problem to me, what puts him below other top-tiers, is that he can't convert damage out of anything other than high strings, slow projectiles, or risky mindgames.

He has one overhead that you can combo out of and it's slow as hell (b2). His fastest standing poke is 9 frames. His d3 is 9 frames, -9 on block and +1 on standing hit, which is good but I don't know if it puts it in "OH SHIT HO" status. d4~buzzsaw is a cool 50/50, but if you managed to low block a d4, you should immediately block high and be ready to tech a CG because what else is he gonna do? He's at 0 frame advantage anyway off a blocked d4. And if you get hit with the saw, you've taken a whopping 8%, which isn't so bad considering what he can do out of nets.

lol CG is not a death loop and your alternative is not eating a combo. Tech that shit if your opponent is getting predictable, or if you have huge balls just don't block the jip and see if they whiff a grab. I don't recommend doing that, but it's been done to me -_-' ...d4 and AAt are beast, I'm not gonna fuck with you on that. Ragdoll is also insane because you can make any high string on block safe and build some meter. I think Rax's zoning game is too easy to work your way out of even for rushdown characters like Cage, and too easy to blow up for more mobile characters like Lao. It's only really effective when you have your opponent pinned in the corner. Bomb pressure is unsafe up close, you have to toss a bomb from like 1/2 screen and then approach.

Block high, know what to poke out of, and play smart against his zoning game and you won't be eating resets. I'm not downplaying him as a high-tier or top-tier, and I'm not claiming to be as knowledgeable as high-level players, but I just think he's a few spaces too high.

Yes. Are you?
Thank you for a very informative and detailed answer (no sarcasm). Just to comment on the first point, the damage he does convert off high strings is ridiculous. You really want a low or overhead combo starter on top of that? His slow projectiles....one is a freaking moving wall that is tricky to jump over especially if the Cyrax player is calculated and knows how to counter you avoiding it. It leads to stupid damage and wins pretty much all trades. His bombs are moving land mines that are excellent space control anywhere on the screen. Yes they're slow and if you are predictable with them (or generally opening your chest too much), you'll get punished. But they are very dangerous and tricky to deal with, and even if you have good mobility i.e. Raiden or Lao, Cyrax can set it up in ways to force you into a predictable teleport/dive kick for example and punish big time. If you use it correctly, it's deadly, along with the net. Watch Maxter and you'll know what I mean.

Now onto his pokes. Having a 9 frame standing poke is by no means slow. Only a select few characters (Jax, Sonya, Cage, Liu, Sektor off the top of my head) have quicker pokes. The reason his D3 is so good is because it has maybe the best range out of any D3. This means you can do D3-chest saw for free because it's very difficult if not impossible to counter-poke if done at max range except by someone like Sub Zero or Kitana. As for D4-chest saw, yes you gave good counters to it, but a Cyrax player can always link a net if he knows you are going to eat the follow-up to D4. That's death. On top of that, those 8% add up and it then becomes maybe 40-48% just off that. Also I can't give you every possible follow up off neutral situations but Cyrax has options and counters to your counters (as does any character). It's all reads and more often than not Cyrax gets the best punishes out of wrong reads so risk-reward nearly always plays in his hands.

Now onto the mix-up: command grab death vs reset death. Here is what can happen to Cyrax and his opponent.
1) Opponent techs command grab=both characters are safe.
2) Opponent thinks to tech command grab and Cyrax does 21-net=death.
3) Opponent thinks to tech command grab and Cyrax whiffs the grab=potential full combo punish against Cyrax.
4) Opponent remains blocking and Cyrax gets a command grab=15% or whatever plus safe jump into same mix-up
5) Opponent remains blocking and Cyrax does 21 into whatever=both characters are safe

So 5 possibilities. Twice it can be a real problem for the opponent. Once Cyrax can be full combo punished (not nearly as hard as he can punish though), and twice both characters are safe. Also factor this in, it's scary as hell to tech a command grab when you know the alternative outcome for guessing wrong. The fear alone makes this mix-up scary more than anything.

Anyways I agree with you on many points. His zoning can be predictable and he can get out zoned and sometimes he has problems against heavy rush down. But remember this, he always has the best comeback factor and they say it takes "a net and a dream" to do the job and there isn't a truer statement in the game. Is he Kabal or Kenshi level? Of course not. But putting him out of the top 5 is ridiculous at best.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Anyways I agree with you on many points. His zoning can be predictable and he can get out zoned and sometimes he has problems against heavy rush down. But remember this, he always has the best comeback factor and they say it takes "a net and a dream" to do the job and there isn't a truer statement in the game. Is he Kabal or Kenshi level? Of course not. But putting him out of the top 5 is ridiculous at best.
Yeah, I see what you're saying. Like I said, I'm new and I don't know a lot about this game, but I definitely see where you're coming from, and I know the damage output changes things fundamentally.

NKZero

Noob
Yeah, I see what you're saying. Like I said, I'm new and I don't know a lot about this game, but I definitely see where you're coming from, and I know the damage output changes things fundamentally.
For someone new you sure know a whole lot man. It was good discussing it with you in any case. I thought you might be interested in seeing a top Cyrax first hand just to see what he can do...so here is a vid from NEC:

Reactions: SLy

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
Freddy goes even or beats everyone above him save kabal or lao. Should be higher. But that's cool the community underestimates him like that. I'll take it lol

If you find a auto-skarlet i believe your statement is true, other than that i would hearty disagree, because a skarlet player that knows exactly what to do will only make your life harder every time you learn a new stuff in the MU.
Well I don't count the bad online skarlets. I've beaten lotf and ninj who I consider pretty good with her.