What's new

HELP WANTED: Video Guides in Production

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I tested LP jabs with Kitana, Sonya, Liu, and Scorpion. This means it is tested for all the Ninjas, Sonya, and Liu. I am 99.9% positive that this data is the same for all characters.

Here are the facts:

1. When you press Block, it takes 2 frames for it to become active. This means that if you press LP, it hits on the 12/13th frame. If your opponent does not press Block on the 10/11th frame, they will be hit by the LP.

2. LP hits on the 12th frame, and recovers in 8 frames with Frame Advantage. Without Frame Advantage, LP hits on the 13th frame, then recovers in 7 frames.

3. LP can be canceled on frames 1-12/13 with Run, Block, LK, HK, or with another jab...which will be covered later.

4. On frames 1-9, it will recover in 4/3 frames.
5. On frame 10, it recovers in 5/4 frames.
6. On frame 11, it recovers in 6/5 frames.
7. On frame 12, it recovers in 7/6 frames.

I am pretty sure that the same applies to HP as well, though LP #2 has different recovery that I'll check on probably Tuesday, my next batch of free time lol

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
Damn, that's pretty in-depth. Dumb question from the guy who just rolled out of bed not 10 minutes ago: Are those numbers exact? When I'm looking at "4/3" am I actually seeing 1.33 frames? It actually recovers faster the later it is canceled? This is because more of the animation has already cycled, yes? Just curious.

How's about bit on collision boxes? Best spot to land a HP when an opponent jumps at you and throws out an early kick, best place to throw out your roundhouse in the corner for minimal pushback, kara-jabbing while rushing into a containment move (such as Kitana's fan wave).

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
FatalTragedy said:
Damn, that's pretty in-depth. Dumb question from the guy who just rolled out of bed not 10 minutes ago: Are those numbers exact? When I'm looking at "4/3" am I actually seeing 1.33 frames? It actually recovers faster the later it is canceled? This is because more of the animation has already cycled, yes? Just curious.

How's about bit on collision boxes? Best spot to land a HP when an opponent jumps at you and throws out an early kick, best place to throw out your roundhouse in the corner for minimal pushback, kara-jabbing while rushing into a containment move (such as Kitana's fan wave).
Konqrr is just covering frame advantage and disadvantage scenarios with an example like 4/3, meaning 4 frames, or 3 frames.

Best place to connect an aaHP on someone is as High and Close as posisble for counter juggle purposes, or as far away as possible for hit confirm purposes. I generally cancel all aaHP attempts with block just in case, unless I'm positive it will hit.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Stay on topic please. If you have questions then that's fine, but try to keep it to what's being worked on, Fatal. And thanks for the suggestion with the controls, it is a very good idea that I and others will probably look into doing. It wouldn't be hard to record something like that.

edit: Not trying to be mean, I just want to stay on jabs and block/run cancelling jabs until we produce video content. ;)

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I've done some work this weekend with runjab chip damage and "trading damage" with toe kicks and uppercuts. This is just an outline of measuring risk in countering rushdown and also the dangers to avoid while rushing. And of course it's missing some attacks that I plan to introduce later on with this subject. I apologize if there are stats on normal attack damage because I couldn't find them anywhere, but the point was more about chip damage anyway.

These numbers have been tested with a variety of characters as I assume all normal attack damage is the same for everyone. The damage is quite consistent and has been cross tested with many different combinations. The percentages have been rounded to the nearest tenth for now as the purpose of this little experiment is to show the risk and rewards between rushing and its counters.

(Damage amounts, based on amount it takes to kill and mixed with other results in cross testing.)
open jabs - 4.8%
blocked jabs - 1.2%
toe kicks - 3.6%
open uppercuts - 21.7%
blocked uppercuts - 5.4%

This data will help break down the risk of certain maneuvers and their worth. For example: the popular toe kick to uppercut is estimated a total 25.3%. Compare 25.3% to the amount of runjabs needed to equal, would be 22 blocked runjabs. When specials are added into the percentile soon, we will be able to measure the safety and value of a [toe kick to uppercut], to a [toe kick to special move/other normal attack] When we start comparing the safety of these maneuvers, we can then flip to offensive rushdown and its risks to rewards. (like what to do if you encounter toe kicks while rushing and with specific char matchups)

This percentile also indicates that [one toe kick = about 3 blocked jabs] and hence are valuable in trading damage even if you can't capitalize with an offensive escape.

Someone please test any of my damage data in blue and verify any combinations to agree with my damage percentiles. I would like them to be as accurate as possible.

I plan to include more attacks both open and blocked damages that include knees, sweeps, JKs (crossup), crouching LPs (for the chars with bad toe kicks), and even special moves.

I hope this information is understandable, if anyone can provide feedback and test this on your own please let me know what you find. Thanks.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Shock has complete lists of damage percentagewise and pixelwise (which the % is based on). It is very accurate, just ask him for the data.

Basically, the frame data for the jabs (or any move in the game) is a set number for [startup, active, recovery]. What I listed in my previous post about the Frame Advantage/Disadvantage numbers, there is only one frame that is different. The frame the move connects is the only difference, you will always recover on the nth frame.

Code:
Frame Advantage for LP
01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
                 ^      ^      ^ 
Frame 12 - LP connects
Frame 16 - LP recovers after being cancelled on Frames 1-9
Frame 20 - LP recovers normally

Frame Disadvantage for LP
                  ^    ^      ^ 
Frame 13 - LP connects
You can see the only difference is the frame that LP hits.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Konqrr said:
Shock has complete lists of damage percentagewise and pixelwise (which the % is based on). It is very accurate, just ask him for the data.

Basically, the frame data for the jabs (or any move in the game) is a set number for [startup, active, recovery]. What I listed in my previous post about the Frame Advantage/Disadvantage numbers, there is only one frame that is different. The frame the move connects is the only difference, you will always recover on the nth frame.

Code:
Frame Advantage for LP
                 ^      ^      ^ 
Frame 12 - LP connects

Frame Disadvantage for LP
                  ^    ^      ^ 
Frame 13 - LP connects
You can see the only difference is the frame that LP hits.
Awesome stuff man. And I will definitely ask Shock for his data so I don't have to improvise anymore. lol

EDIT: If anyone wants to help make the Stryker runjab video, it's simple enough to make right now. All I have planned is to have him cycle through all characters and vice versa... also having him abuse Kabal and Kano because he can jab them but they can't jab back. If there are no takers for capturing then I'll knock it out myself real quick. Thanks.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Konqrr I cannot find the list of all damages to the pixel for UMK3. I am pretty sure I made one but I did find and old one with rounded percentages that I sent to DreamCatcher. I believe I do have a full damage list for MK and MKII in pixels.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I might have the full data you sent me a long time ago on my other computer, I'll have to look.

EDIT: I looked at what I have and it's only pixel damage charts for MK 1 and 2. The UMK.com Wiki lists all the damage for character specific moves and combos, but not for basic moves like HK or Sweep.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I'm going to translate what I can for the normal moves, I have it all in pixels right now which a lot of people aren't going to understand.

I'll be back later with some goodies. Thanks for the list, Shock.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The energy bar in UMK3 is 166 pixels (or points) at a 1:1 aspect ratio, with no filter, so it's easy to figure them out, just time consuming. If you want, I'll go through special moves for specific characters if there are any left. I mean, I would literally translate to the 100ths decimal place, ie: 15.45%. I feel it's completely worth going that far into detail for.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Progress update after 1 week:

- started Stryker runjab video "storyboard"
- started rushdown video guide checklists (including some risk measurements)
- constructing basic rushdown damage sheets including character normals
- introduced game plan to the community with great reception

Thanks to everyone for the support thus far, very soon we will see some nice results that will encourage even more great work.

edit: Thanks to Juggernaut for the good breakdown with Stryker's list. Very easy to read.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
It's going good, slow but good. I haven't finished the Stryker video but it should be done here in a couple days.

If you want to help out you can work on some basic rushing mixups that we can put into videos.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Week 2 Progress Report

- Stryker Run Jab video beta completed and pitched to UltimateMK and ClassicMK staff members.
- Discovered best capturing quality for gameplay.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
The Stryker video (pending staff review) will be released this week. After this first video guide is complete with hopefully good reception, making them will be much smoother from now on.

edit: Sorry for the wait, I've been working some crazy hours lately.

X820

Noob
Dreamcatcher said:
X820 is going through the final editing for the Stryker video. It will be up shortly.
Things are keeping me occupied, but as soon as the MK2 tourney ends for me I'll get right on it.