What's new

HELP WANTED: Video Guides in Production

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
A handful of players from the MK community have recently decided to join in a greater effort to produce helpful videos of the highest quality possible. They will include polished and fully tested data concerning some, but not limited to, these areas:

- rushing; Performing runjabs, escaping rushdown, mixups, specific mathematical content like frame recovery and character exceptions.

- spacing; General zoning and its usefulness, trap setups, anticipating jumps and punishing them, the fundamentals of sweeping both offensively and defensively.

- character strengths and weaknesses; Very specific breakdowns of overall value in every normal and special move, rated matchups between characters with mathematical reasoning.

- miscellaneous valuable content; cancelling, glitches/glitch cancelling, pushback, recountering, juggling height and properties.

- combos... of course. :)

- more to be included later on after discussion

The point of it all is to progress the UMK3 community as far as possible, and ultimately bring the game to an exact science. (or at least close) There will be video guides for all skill levels, but most concepts will be advanced to expert material. We will do our best to make learning the grueling details of mathematics within the game worthwhile for you. It will actually be more fun than anything. ;)

Along with video guides there will likely also be raw written material for your more manual reference. Any video examples pertaining to tutorials will probably be posted on Youtube, UltimateMK, and ClassicMK for availability to all viewers.

PLEASE NOTE: This is a timely process that will demand close attention to detail. Please consider this before presenting untested info by yourself or info that doesn't pertain to this work. Thanks.

If you would like to lend a helping hand, please post here or send me a PM. Thank you much.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Thanks Roll.

I'm going to talk with Shock about maybe putting a sample video out there of what's on the way, so that we can generate more interest. I had a video here not long ago but it wasn't properly labeled.

X820

Noob
Right on 8)

Edit:

DC, you know I'm pretty new to this game and I won't be able to chip in video-wise, but if you ever need a sparring partner or video editor, holler :)

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
OJuggernaut0 said:
I can help, wanted to do tutorial videos for awhile now.
I'm interested in the bit you mentioned about sweep distance and what have you. That's stuff I need to learn. I'm still learning the ropes and one thing I need to work on is being able to beat out sweeps and toekicks with knee combos. I'm struggling a bit with that timing.

if you see a sweep (and it can't hit you)..................throw a spear, TKS, shoulder ram (trust me), mileena roll, sheeva stomp, kabal spin......etc.

you can get an auto combo also

its all unblockable because they gotta recover from the whiff..........put that in your bag of tricks

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
I will... and turning around a rush is tough for me lately. If I play a really good jabber I don't have a prayer.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I am pleased to see this kind of response, this is already looking promising.

Here's what we are going to do:

1.) I will suggest a section that we will begin work. Let's use "rushing" as an example first.

2.) Now we will focus on a specific part of that section, so let's have "escaping rushdown" as our current topic.

3.) Once we are settled on a project, I will break testing the concept up into different parts for players.
JUST AN EXAMPLE:
Everyone please test overall effectiveness of each concept for every character VS every character. (take your time and be thorough with notes and video if possible)
- RollTide and I will test toe kick escapes.
- FatalTragedy and Juggernaut will test well timed uppercuts.
- X820 and I will test jumping away and crossups.

4.) Now we test our concepts and bring our findings here. Please try not to use netplay as raw results, but you and a partner could test a concept online. (not actual gameplay, just testing) Don't expect to be able to do that with everything, and Shock might not like it at all but it's still useful data.

5.) When we bring our results back to the rest of us, we all review it and test it ourselves. After that we compare it and ultimately verify what is valuable, useful, and correct information that can be published in videos. For a lot of things, some of us can already confirm what is vital information and just needs the necessary testing for showing less experienced players.

6.) Then we move on to the next section.

When we have a good start going here, we will begin video production and decide how we will go about that. For now it's going to be some of the tougher part, homework.

Please try not to get discouraged, this will definitely take some time and will be very much worth it. You will receive every bit of proper credit for your help and don't hesitate to let me know anything ahead of time. (you lose interest in production, you can't test anything for a while, etc.)

The staffs of both UltimateMK and ClassicMK have the final say in what goes and what doesn't as far as the videos. I am merely putting all this together and have taken it upon myself to get things going, that doesn't mean I intend to boss everyone around. Please don't think that. The reason for this way of organization is because these sites are the best place for the videos to be used properly. Youtube or personal channels surely will draw attention to the guides and it will be foreseen if the videos will be promoted/presented by other outside users and by whom.

Thanks and let's get started.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Let's start easy!
Rushing: performing runjabs (basic)

SOMEONE NEEDED (2 people): Please test how fast you can cancel runjabs with run and block using all characters. Include how fast your run meter depletes and how far you push the opponent across the screen. Note anything out of the ordinary between character matchups if you find any.

SOMEONE NEEDED (2 people): Please test the different lengths of each character's runjabs. Take into special interest with runjabbing Stryker and his runjabs on others. Rate/measure all characters on each other. Also include data on unblocking opponents.

I will: Gather and compare chip damage trading with toe kicks and escape/crossup situations.

If anyone is willing to help or would rather do something else then say so. I'm just trying to get the ball rolling.

Dreamcatcher said:
- RollTide and I will test toe kick escapes.
u mean escaping run jabs w/ toe kicks? it works but i wouldn't abuse it lol

***note: when i play patient players they wait for a toe kick and get a combo on me***

yea dream just let me know when u wanna do this, i'm down n e time.

but.......if we do this we gotta show the dangers of toe kicking man......everything has a counter

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
RollTide8569 said:
u mean escaping run jabs w/ toe kicks? it works but i wouldn't abuse it lol

***note: when i play patient players they wait for a toe kick and get a combo on me***

yea dream just let me know when u wanna do this, i'm down n e time.

but.......if we do this we gotta show the dangers of toe kicking man......everything has a counter
We will get to toe kicks, you read the wrong post. ;)

That one was just an example of how we are going to do this. Pick a topic below in this other post instead and work at your own pace. You can do it on your own or have a partner help. :)

Dreamcatcher said:
Let's start easy!
Rushing: performing runjabs (basic)

SOMEONE NEEDED (2 people): Please test how fast you can cancel runjabs with run and block using all characters. Include how fast your run meter depletes and how far you push the opponent across the screen. Note anything out of the ordinary between character matchups if you find any.

SOMEONE NEEDED (2 people): Please test the different lengths of each character's runjabs. Take into special interest with runjabbing Stryker and his runjabs on others. Rate/measure all characters on each other. Also include data on unblocking opponents.

I will: Gather and compare chip damage trading with toe kicks and escape/crossup situations.

If anyone is willing to help or would rather do something else then say so. I'm just trying to get the ball rolling.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Hey guys, please note that the first post was just an example. But if you want to start on areas of escaping rushdown then go right ahead! Please feel free but always be thorough. Thank you. I'll have my chip damage trade off data by Sunday I think.

If you want to expand and work on specific areas of the game that we haven't started to talk about here, just let me know and I'm sure it will be okay. It would be nice for everyone to work on the same section at once as it will be easier to polish and put into a guide.

Remember: We are trying to help everyone get better so make sure that your data is understandable to the rest of us, as in English. ;)

Don't have someone to test stuff with, but I have gotten some info on Stryker. Who he can and can't run jab, or who can and can't run jab him.

Characters Stryker can run jab: Kung Lao, Jax, Kano*, Robots, Kabal*, Sheeva, Shang Tsung

Characters Stryker can't run jab: Male ninjas, Female ninjas, Sonya, Nightwolf, Unmasked Sub-Zero, Sindel, Stryker, Liu Kang

Characters who can run jab Stryker: Kung Lao, Female ninjas, Sonya, Jax, Robots, Sindel, Sheeva, Shang Tsung

Characters who can't run jab Stryker: Male ninjas, Nightwolf, Kano*, Unmasked Sub-Zero, Styker, Kabal*, Liu Kang

* = Characters who Stryker can run jab, but they can't run jab him.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
OJuggernaut0 said:
Don't have someone to test stuff with, but I have gotten some info on Stryker. Who he can and can't run jab, or who can and can't run jab him.

Characters Stryker can run jab: Kung Lao, Jax, Kano*, Robots, Kabal*, Sheeva, Shang Tsung

Characters Stryker can't run jab: Male ninjas, Female ninjas, Sonya, Nightwolf, Unmasked Sub-Zero, Sindel, Stryker, Liu Kang

Characters who can run jab Stryker: Kung Lao, Female ninjas, Sonya, Jax, Robots, Sindel, Sheeva, Shang Tsung

Characters who can't run jab Stryker: Male ninjas, Nightwolf, Kano*, Unmasked Sub-Zero, Styker, Kabal*, Liu Kang

* = Characters who Stryker can run jab, but they can't run jab him.
Excellent job. I think Shock has made a similar list before but I don't remember where I've seen it. I will verify this ASAP and a video with simple details of Stryker and jabs can be started.

This information should check out and show Stryker to be much more formidable against the top tier Kano than we thought. He can runjab Kano and Kano can't jab him, which is critical considering Stryker can use the much easier cancelled aaHP version of his infinite if he connects a knee in rushdown. Compare this with Stryker not being able to rush a character that isn't Kano, I believe it's much more difficult to get chip damage with just knees. Some players might already use this to their advantage. I honestly never knew or took the time to find this out.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
He Is Close said:

This is just a Brain Fart.
This is way off topic. If you want to help with what we are working on then just say so. Don't post a video that has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
He Is Close said:
No need to be rude, breath man. ;)
I'm rude? You just posted a random video of your own when we aren't even discussing combos. If you read the current information we have, we are verifying Stryker's runjabs and performing runjabs.

I posted sections we are going to be working on together, this isn't about making your own video and bringing it here. We're making them together when we get there.

X820

Noob
As of now, this thread will be closely watched for (random) and off topic posts.

Here by a friendly request and thus a warning at the same time;

Please contribute in any way you can, accordingly to the current topic in this thread.

We are trying to lift this to the next level for a lot of people, so please..

Keep the ego-vids out of here and most of all keep it ON-TOPIC.

Thank you.

(If someone does not understand the difference between tactics and combos or any of above, PM me).

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Sorry HIC, I wasn't trying to knock on your video because it's a decent video. When we do some combos, I know who to call. ;)

I would like to propose that we start a storyboard for a Stryker runjab video because it would be very basic.

My idea would be this:
- Pick Stryker as P1 and have him cycle though the entire roster of who he can and can't jab.
- Cycle through the roster showing who can and can't jab Stryker.
Simple right? Any input on this would be helpful so we can put it together for video sake.

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
The hands are usually doing a lot more than the action on-screen leads on. I think it'd be a good idea for some of the concepts that require greater dexterity to be filmed off screen as well. Get some footage of the hands in there. It'd be especially helpful for people trying to wrap their heads around concepts like run/kara jabbing or maybe people trying to pick up combos with precise timing.

X820

Noob
Sounds like a good idea, however.. there are so many different types of how people that place their hands in different ways (on a pad: thumbs only, finger tips or both), not to mention different controllers aswell: Keyboard, Pad, Stick...

Aswell as button layouts (especially for kb i think), who knows...

Things like buffering B,B then F at the excat same time as. . . . would cover it pretty much, but I have a feeling that this goes without saying :)