What's new

Match-up Discussion Help vs Superman!

Hi there guys, I'm new to the forums, and I'm a fellow Deathstroke main, will try to make my home here. If there's already a topic for this, I apologize, feel free to merge.

Anyways, I can beat/hold my own against every character in this game (even post-nerf) except for Superman. I always get my ass handed to me by Supes. Any tips from any of you hardcore fans?

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Hi there guys, I'm new to the forums, and I'm a fellow Deathstroke main, will try to make my home here. If there's already a topic for this, I apologize, feel free to merge.

Anyways, I can beat/hold my own against every character in this game (even post-nerf) except for Superman. I always get my ass handed to me by Supes. Any tips from any of you hardcore fans?
No need to apologize, but this does go in the Matchup discussion thread which is stickied at the top. However I will help you with this MU. You kinda have to out turtle superman if you want to win. This mu suckssssss! Definitely a 3-7. When it comes to zoning if you predict superman to do a straight laser you can do low guns. If he jumps and does the rising laser you can jump with him and do air guns to stop it. If he does rising lasers while still on the ground you just simply jump straight up.

Now when he becomes offensive you NEED to have meter to push him off of you because his pressure is dumb. His ice breathe move on block is +1 in frame advantage so he can do f23 xx ice breathe xN all day to build meter while u need meter to push him off of u. He can also mix it up with f2d1 for the low laser shot and get you in a full combo. Once he has your back in the corner and you have no meter then it is pretty much over. If you see him moving in and is about little passed midscreen then start your offense and try to get that vortex out and loop it as long as you can keep him guessing.

Zoning him is a problem because he has an air dash, so you need to zone him when he does something. In other words Reaction/Reading zoning. Otherwise if you just throw out your zoning like you normally would then you will get bodied by supes. Hope this helps.

Edit: When you knock down supes then go ham on his body. Try to get the b1u2 or f3 mixups started because if you let him get the lead on rushdown again then you're fucked. Credit goes to RYX

Apoc

Noob
Or, here is a crazy idea, you can do what most butt hurts do and go to training mode, record Supermans string that is claimed to be OP and figure out a way to punish it. But you will most likely not give it a try and end up whining and requesting nerfs like everyone else.

-In case you didn't notice I did state that Supermans f23 into breath is NOT an abusable string, there is a perfect 6 frames between the second string which gives everyone time to backdash or for some characters a d1-

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Or, here is a crazy idea, you can do what most butt hurts do and go to training mode, record Supermans string that is claimed to be OP and figure out a way to punish it. But you will most likely not give it a try and end up whining and requesting nerfs like everyone else.

-In case you didn't notice I did state that Supermans f23 into breath is NOT an abusable string-
Do you realize what character forum you're in? Moreover, do you realize he was asking for help and you being a total douche about it is unnecessary? New members, lol.

Hitoshura had a really good write-up of the MU. Good stuff, man. Would just like to add that if you get the knockdown then go apeshit. That's what you want to do since his wake-ups are shitty and you can fuck him up for a bit. Just take the life lead if you can't corner him quickly, but if you can, DON'T let him reverse it on you. Just take a life lead and get the fuck outta there.

f.23~Breath is hard to escape since Deathstroke has a shitty backdash, so you'll want to save at least a bar or two for when he gets in.

Hitoshura

Head Cage

-In case you didn't notice I did state that Supermans f23 into breath is NOT an abusable string, there is a perfect 6 frames between the second string which gives everyone time to backdash or for some characters a d1-
RYX I got this, but thanks though.

I'm sorry? Are you someone important? Never heard of you? Also, don't you ever talk down to me like that again. You don't know who I am. Neither do I know who you are and with that being said I'd never talk down on you. How you just reacted to my original post is the exact reason why people view this community as a bunch of children. You want the FGS community to respect us then act respectful.

You could have written your original post like so, "Hey I don't know if you're aware of this , but I made a post/thread on how his f23 xx ice breathe pressure game isn't over powered. It shows ways you can get out by using a simple back. You should check it out if yo are unaware of the match up. I'll post the link below.

Thread Link: https://testyourmight.com/randomsupermanthreadexplaininghispressureonblock "

Was that so hard?

insignis

Noob
I would add 5 cents: Superman players often start match with f23 so you can simply go for neutral jump 2 and punish it with full combo. And as far as I saw you can punish f23~breath->f23~breath loop with d1.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Whoa whoa whoa, Superman Deathstroke is NOT 7-3 in Superman's favor. I've played 40 sets a few days ago with a competent Superman player, and he actually believed it to be in Deathstroke's favor. Deathstroke's air control and ground control makes it so Superman is forced to play Deathstroke's game, which is chasing Deathstroke. This is good, this sets up your opportunities. Your best friend in this match up is j.3. This beats all of Superman's jump ins, his f23 if you predict it's coming, and sets up your pressure game, and it also beats his Anti Air Grab on the start up. The only thing Superman has on you is his ability to poke, and his range on his normals.

Now at the start of the round Super man has a few options:
f23 (Which most do) -This gets beat out by Jump back 3 or jump forward 3
back dash- Which nothing happens if you do jump back 3, or you follow him for jump forward 3
Superman punch- This beats all your jump options, so just block
jump- Which would get beat by jump back 3 or forward 3

Now I can understand why people why say it's a bad match up, but here's a best friend you can use. PUSH. A BLOCKU. Let's say he gets in and starts doing f23~Ice breath (Which you can check with d1~Sword flip if you know he's gonna do the string twice or three times.) Push block him away and now he's not in range to do f23 anymore, he has to guess between dashing in, jumping, or walking forward. Which if you react properly, can score you a knock down from far away, or set up your pressure game. Any time you have the opportunity if you can spare the meter, push him the fuck away. You play Deathstroke to annoy the other player, so do so.

React to his air lasers, you can literally just react to it, but keep your guns going. I.E, shoot quick fire or low guns full screen to make him respect your ability to zone, and when he jumps, shoot him out the air. If he gets you into the corner, it IS NOT OVER. This is where learning how to block comes in. Superman has an okay high low game from certain strings, and I've always said that block low before high against Superman. Meaning react to the high and just block low. Also react to throws. Lastly, ABUSE J.3 A LOT.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Now I can understand why people why say it's a bad match up, but here's a best friend you can use. PUSH. A BLOCK..

They nerfed his meter gain off of guns, so lets say you push block and you somehow fuck of the flow of your offense and have no meter. Then what? Maybe I over exaggerated on the 3-7 mu #, but its pretty fucking annoying.

So you can jump after a blocked ice breath for a ji3? Wooooooooorrrrd?

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
They nerfed his meter gain off of guns, so lets say you push block and you somehow fuck of the flow of your offense and have no meter. Then what? Maybe I over exaggerated on the 3-7 mu #, but its pretty fucking annoying.

So you can jump after a blocked ice breath for a ji3? Wooooooooorrrrd?

Don't need those guns to build your meter for a push block, this is where meter mangement comes at it's finest. If he does get a hit in, you get like 2 bars from his rush down, which allows you to have 2 get out of jail free cards. You have 2.5 guesses before he wins a round, if he hits you with high and lows, so you make those 4 meters count. And again, you don't have to push block, this is where solid defense and patience comes into play. You can block for so long that it makes the Supes get antsy, and then throw him, or jump around and make him annoyed anyways.

In the corner, you can nj or forward jump and he can't beat it, he can beat back dashes I'm pretty sure. Again, I personally think it's 5-5, my Superman teammate thinks it's 6-4 in DS's favor, and the community thinks it's in Supes. Seriously it's dead even.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Don't need those guns to build your meter for a push block, this is where meter mangement comes at it's finest. If he does get a hit in, you get like 2 bars from his rush down, which allows you to have 2 get out of jail free cards. You have 2.5 guesses before he wins a round, if he hits you with high and lows, so you make those 4 meters count. And again, you don't have to push block, this is where solid defense and patience comes into play. You can block for so long that it makes the Supes get antsy, and then throw him, or jump around and make him annoyed anyways.

In the corner, you can nj or forward jump and he can't beat it, he can beat back dashes I'm pretty sure. Again, I personally think it's 5-5, my Superman teammate thinks it's 6-4 in DS's favor, and the community thinks it's in Supes. Seriously it's dead even.

See, this is why I wish I had more free time. Could of figured shit like this out. I'm such a scrub. ;__;

RYX

BIG PUSHER

I picture you as someone sitting in their basement with formulas and strategies about DS and match ups and frame data pinned to every wall and you just wait to correct us all.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
See, this is why I wish I had more free time. Could of figured shit like this out. I'm such a scrub. ;__;

I actually found out the jumping thing during the set, lol. I don't have much free time myself, but I always see what type of shit I can do during sets so if I go to a tournament, it'd already click. Just to make things easier, I'll compose what you can do at the start.

Start of the round options:
Jump back 3/neutral jump 3/ forward jump 3 Beats f23, his jump forward and neutral.
back dash avoids the 2 in f23 and allows you to set up a game.
Jumping and back dashes loses to his superman punch

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
I dont have the time to read this right now, but having that many matches against a Superman must mean something, so I like this input here. However, I want to see you discuss this with Vagrant who had an extensive write up on why he thought Supes was a bad one (or I think it was him. Sorry if I dailed the wrong DS lol)

Vagrant

Noob
Slips and I were talking about how his f23 breath pressure could technically be considered an infinite against DS.
I usually just take the breath to get out.

When your playing the zoning war you have to watch his startup and react. Which isn't easy to do.

LGS under the long startup laser (the one that is plus 8 million on block)
If you see him jump air shot him out of the air laser
He's negative after a regular long ground laser, feel free to shoot.
If he MBs a ground laser he's at advantage and you have to watch what he's going to do next and react accordingly

Be very careful zoning him around mid screen. He can air dash over a low shot and full combo punish.

Punish them blocked low grabs!
Always block low after his f2
Respect air dash crossups, cause they're coming.

This is not an easy matchup for deathstroke you typically want to play 'hit n run' against supes.

Soonk tried to tell me it was even. I told him he was out of his fucking mind. It's probably 6-4 superman. You have advantage full screen if your reactions are on point. Theres really no magic answer for this matchup except to grind it out over and over and over.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Slips and I were talking about how his f23 breath pressure could technically be considered an infinite against DS.
I usually just take the breath to get out.

When your playing the zoning war you have to watch his startup and react. Which isn't easy to do.

LGS under the long startup laser (the one that is plus 8 million on block)
If you see him jump air shot him out of the air laser
He's negative after a regular long ground laser, feel free to shoot.
If he MBs a ground laser he's at advantage and you have to watch what he's going to do next and react accordingly

Be very careful zoning him around mid screen. He can air dash over a low shot and full combo punish.

Punish them blocked low grabs!
Always block low after his f2
Respect air dash crossups, cause they're coming.

This is not an easy matchup for deathstroke you typically want to play 'hit n run' against supes.

Soonk tried to tell me it was even. I told him he was out of his fucking mind. It's probably 6-4 superman. You have advantage full screen if your reactions are on point. Theres really no magic answer for this matchup except to grind it out over and over and over.

What happened to backdashing out of F23 xx Breath?

Bringing dat anti Superman tech!

Basically, CROUCH block F2, STAND block Ice Breath, and only then can you jump back punish.

Some notes...
Midscreen only, good luck in the corner :cool:
Since you're stand blocking breath, be wary of low scoop, but you can totally see that scoop isn't coming and stand block
You're out of range for his rising grab and D1
The first part was just to show that if timed correctly, DS's D1 can only trade at which point you're at a disadvantage

King Checkmate

uɐlop sı ʎllɐnʇɔɐ

^^^^This dude talks as if everyone in hte game has a good backdash or even a 6 frame move. LOL @ ignorance