What's new

Help on how to play half decent

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Thank you, I know what they do isn't cheating and it is frustrating and I don't mind losing, I would just prefer to lose to someone with skill and flare. I have practised but as I've said in some of the other quotes, I think I would benefit from sparring with someone to say where I'm going wrong or what they would do if they were in my shoes, any offers to spar would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Yeah I hear ya, though people do cheat if you notice lag switching(when the connection goes then stops, pauses then goes, pauses etc) or if it disconnects before you're about to win that's legit cheaters so if you encounter those nothing you can do sadly. But yeah the zoning, turtling techniques are legit just annoying to deal with. Me personally, I find rushing down people into frame traps way more annoying that's why I zone lol hehe but it's all personal preference on your style! Best of luck!

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
check this topic for sparring with others:

you can play against other ps4 players or even play with us xboxers via crossplay

always nice to have more people to play with and learn stuff

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
Thanks for the reply and info, I'm using Noob, I personally don't want to use other characters to just spam them back. Noob is my fave and don't want to really play as anyone else. Every character has the ability to beat any character. My main issue going against people who just use the likes of Sub Zero, Scorpion, Joker, terminator or Kung Lao. They just spam and use the same combo or move set. I have checked my simple moves for frame data start up and they still just corner and Spam me. I have no problem in being beaten by someone who out plays me but I don't like losing to people who just spam. I have tried to look into how to break certain spam moves and combos but they still get in on me. So I'm desperate to spar with someone to show me what I can do. As practicing with AI can help but it's not the same as going against a human. Thanks
There is no such thing as spam, most of the cases you're just getting outplayed. Keep playing non stop and after a couple of years you might actually feel competent enough. There are no shortcuts...

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I think the easiest way to get "half way decent" is to:
  1. Start using your faster and safer moves
  2. Stop using your slower and punishable moves
  3. Knowing when opponent's strings are overhead/low so you know how to guard

I think the easiest way to get "half way decent" is to:
  1. Start using your faster and safer moves
  2. Stop using your slower and punishable moves
  3. Knowing when opponent's strings are overhead/low so you know how to guard
Thanks for the advice, just need to figure out what elements of that I need to concentrate on, cheers

There is no such thing as spam, most of the cases you're just getting outplayed. Keep playing non stop and after a couple of years you might actually feel competent enough. There are no shortcuts...
You're right and I know there's no shortcuts, just looking for advice from more experienced and better fighters on how and where to improve, cheers

check this topic for sparring with others:

you can play against other ps4 players or even play with us xboxers via crossplay

always nice to have more people to play with and learn stuff
I'll consider that, to be honest I haven't looked into crossplay and might do, cheers

Yeah I hear ya, though people do cheat if you notice lag switching(when the connection goes then stops, pauses then goes, pauses etc) or if it disconnects before you're about to win that's legit cheaters so if you encounter those nothing you can do sadly. But yeah the zoning, turtling techniques are legit just annoying to deal with. Me personally, I find rushing down people into frame traps way more annoying that's why I zone lol hehe but it's all personal preference on your style! Best of luck!
Yeah I've noticed a few games where the game gets really laggy, but If you disconnect, then you don't get anything do you? And how would by making it laggy benefit as they would lag also.

Thanks for the reply and info, I'm using Noob, I personally don't want to use other characters to just spam them back. Noob is my fave and don't want to really play as anyone else. Every character has the ability to beat any character. My main issue going against people who just use the likes of Sub Zero, Scorpion, Joker, terminator or Kung Lao. They just spam and use the same combo or move set. I have checked my simple moves for frame data start up and they still just corner and Spam me. I have no problem in being beaten by someone who out plays me but I don't like losing to people who just spam. I have tried to look into how to break certain spam moves and combos but they still get in on me. So I'm desperate to spar with someone to show me what I can do. As practicing with AI can help but it's not the same as going against a human. Thanks
Which variation of Noob do you play? Seeing Double is his best arguably, and the most straightforward and easiest. Watch Honeybee play Noob on Youtube. Zone with bf3 to keep them wary of jumping or committing to a forward advancing move. At sweep distance get good at catching your opponent with d4 into bf3. Up close you must learn how to jail. This means hitting the opponent with d1 which forces them to stand block, then catching them immediately with 1,1,3. If they failed to block any of those hits then end the string with bf3amp for damage. People often overlook jailing, but it's super important. You will hit people with it constantly as they are often eager to poke you back instead of blocking.

Once you've conditioned your opponent to expect those things you can start mixing up your options. For example if your opponent expects you to shadow slide after d4 you might instead d4, do nothing for a beat, baiting them to counterattack, then punish with b1,1+3,2 boom Krushing Blow.

Edit: I forgot to say Noob is actually really good against Sub Zero. Shadow slide stops Sub from sliding himself, db4 catches Polar Axe. Sub doesn't have a strong mid so you can abuse your long d4 against him. D4 is a miracle button for Noob lol.
And while I'm at it I'll echo what others have said on here, it's going to take some time to get better, just focus on learning and having fun while you're at it and you are guaranteed to become decent.

Last edited:

MKF30

Yeah I've noticed a few games where the game gets really laggy, but If you disconnect, then you don't get anything do you? And how would by making it laggy benefit as they would lag also.
People have done it to me when they're losing or whenever I'm comboing/hitting them, but when they got me in a combo it's smooth suddenly lol. They do it to try to throw your timing off since it's nearly impossible to hit confirm combos with lag spikes or lag vs not. As for disconnecting, depends how. If they pull on you and know what they're doing it can screw you over the win and they won't lose points. I believe NRS has said to patched this months ago where if they do it you will still gain points, however they will not lose points from what I understand when asking people about it. I don't even know how people lag switch, I thought it was a setting on the modem or router but someone else told me it's just having someone mess with the wire during gameplay? I don't know though.

Which variation of Noob do you play? Seeing Double is his best arguably, and the most straightforward and easiest. Watch Honeybee play Noob on Youtube. Zone with bf3 to keep them wary of jumping or committing to a forward advancing move. At sweep distance get good at catching your opponent with d4 into bf3. Up close you must learn how to jail. This means hitting the opponent with d1 which forces them to stand block, then catching them immediately with 1,1,3. If they failed to block any of those hits then end the string with bf3amp for damage. People often overlook jailing, but it's super important. You will hit people with it constantly as they are often eager to poke you back instead of blocking.

Once you've conditioned your opponent to expect those things you can start mixing up your options. For example if your opponent expects you to shadow slide after d4 you might instead d4, do nothing for a beat, baiting them to counterattack, then punish with b1,1+3,2 boom Krushing Blow.

Edit: I forgot to say Noob is actually really good against Sub Zero. Shadow slide stops Sub from sliding himself, db4 catches Polar Axe. Sub doesn't have a strong mid so you can abuse your long d4 against him. D4 is a miracle button for Noob lol.
And while I'm at it I'll echo what others have said on here, it's going to take some time to get better, just focus on learning and having fun while you're at it and you are guaranteed to become decent.
I was using black Sabbath, so I will give seeing double ago and take some of your tips and see how I get on, cheers for the advice

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Step 1: Play highborn
Step 2: Do the same 2 strings into razors all match long
Step 3: Profit
I feel personally attacked right now.

Anyway, I have to echo the sentiment that your most important step right now is to get past your mental block of segregating certain fighting styles as "skill" and others as "spam." If you're disregarding playstyles based on some preconceived misconception that those styles make the player lesser, then you're not likely to learn to combat them properly. Also, you're infinitely more likely to play poorer against those playstyles due to becoming tilted because of your mindset.

All that matters in the end is that one player gets the other's life bar to 0 in two rounds, be it with crazy combos, weird blockstring setups, tons of grabs / D2s / projectiles, or whatever else.

Nevan_PTF

All your mains belong to me!
@Rambo_UK_84 you can add me in PS4, if you want. I'm in Portugal, so we share the same zone and timezone - xTecla3x

What I would say is just echo the other posts, pick something you like and disregard tiers. If you don't play what you like, you won't be able to get the motivation to learn the game and keep getting better.

Also, check this: kombatakademy.com - it's a great source of information, combos, guides on how to play with or against said character. Really worth. Noble Raptor is doing heavy work with that site.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Geared to people getting started, here is the Youtube link to James Chen's currently running First Attack series to introduce people to fighting games.

MKF30

Geared to people getting started, here is the Youtube link to James Chen's currently running First Attack series to introduce people to fighting games.
Never heard of this dude but apparently I was subbed him(I must have liked one of his past vids) he seems pretty nice and informative. He seems like the Bob Ross of fighting games, very chill, no ego, not arrogant and very seasoned with FG knowledge.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Sounds like you are frustrated by not knowing what to do when your opponent finds your weakness. First of all, there is no "spam". There is only you getting hit with something over and over that leads to you losing because you did not know how to counter it.

If that is the case, hop into training mode, turn on the frame data dialog and put the recording mode to use. Record the character you are struggling against and perform the move(s) that are killing you. Block the moves and check the frame data. Verify if those moves are positive or negative when blocked. If they are positive on block, you must wait for pushback to push you safely away while blocking or, wait and read the opponents next move if you can predict it (i.e. you blocked so well they attempted a throw, duck the throw and uppercut them.).

If they are minus, check the amount of negative frames. Moves that are negative on block can be punished by moves that start up faster than the attacker can recover. For example:

If your opponent does a string that leaves them -10 on block, you can punish them with a move that starts up faster such as a fast standing jab that leads to a string combo that in turn leads to a larger combo if applicable. Your best bet is to use this data to learn the match-up against a character that is giving you trouble.

Having the knowledge is just part of the equation. Having the correct toolset in your bag such as a high damage combo to punish blocked attacks that are negative and knowing how to bait the opponent into leaving themselves open to counter attack are essential. Training the opponent to play by your rules is also key. You can do this by using attacks and combo strings that leave you safe on block so that you can pressure your opponent into making mistakes that open them up to counter attacks/full combo punish.

Employ mind games such as mixing up using safe mids and throws. Nuetral jump out of pressure when you know you can get away with it and land a jumping 1 or 2 into a full combo punish. Don't forget to use your defensive options when you are knocked down. Choose the best one for a given situation.

Always remember that every move in this game can be countered. You just have to learn what it is and use it. Once you do, the game converts from "He's just a spammer" to "I made him pay for relying on a weak strategy. He was not on my level." In order to get to a higher level, you must first let go of any imaginary rules that you want people to play by and play against the hardest opponents possible. You only become good by surrounding yourself with good players online/offline.

I hope that helps.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Never heard of this dude but apparently I was subbed him(I must have liked one of his past vids) he seems pretty nice and informative. He seems like the Bob Ross of fighting games, very chill, no ego, not arrogant and very seasoned with FG knowledge.
James Chen is a legend In the fgc.