What's new

Help on how to play half decent

I'm looking for some serious tutorial help please. I am currently starting to play on the Kombat League and all I want to do is go up the ranks to collect gear, I'm not bothered about actually competing to be the best but I'm struggling to win any fights. Can anyone please help me, even if it is as a practice fighting to stop being spammed to death! Any response would be grateful. Thanks

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
There's a lot to learn, but some key starting points:
-Learn your character's key normals and specials
-Learn your character's (BnB) combos (and practice them until you can do them consistently)
-Learn frame data
-Learn how to use pokes

There's info for the first couple items in the forums for the character you play.
For frame data, you can google what it means, and all of the frame data is in the Practice mode menus.
For the last one, just watching good gameplay will help you out. You can google/Youtube for MK11 tournaments and check out how people play.

Which character are you using?

The in game character tutorials are pretty damn good tbh. They wont prepare you for staggers but a general understanding of when to use what. Then with what crimson said, youtube your character, watch combo vids, tournament matches etc.. emulate what you see. Itll be hard still but youll learn and get better.

There's a lot to learn, but some key starting points:
-Learn your character's key normals and specials
-Learn your character's (BnB) combos (and practice them until you can do them consistently)
-Learn frame data
-Learn how to use pokes

There's info for the first couple items in the forums for the character you play.
For frame data, you can google what it means, and all of the frame data is in the Practice mode menus.
For the last one, just watching good gameplay will help you out. You can google/Youtube for MK11 tournaments and check out how people play.

Which character are you using?
Thanks for the reply and info, I'm using Noob, I personally don't want to use other characters to just spam them back. Noob is my fave and don't want to really play as anyone else. Every character has the ability to beat any character. My main issue going against people who just use the likes of Sub Zero, Scorpion, Joker, terminator or Kung Lao. They just spam and use the same combo or move set. I have checked my simple moves for frame data start up and they still just corner and Spam me. I have no problem in being beaten by someone who out plays me but I don't like losing to people who just spam. I have tried to look into how to break certain spam moves and combos but they still get in on me. So I'm desperate to spar with someone to show me what I can do. As practicing with AI can help but it's not the same as going against a human. Thanks

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Thanks for the reply and info, I'm using Noob, I personally don't want to use other characters to just spam them back. Noob is my fave and don't want to really play as anyone else. Every character has the ability to beat any character. My main issue going against people who just use the likes of Sub Zero, Scorpion, Joker, terminator or Kung Lao. They just spam and use the same combo or move set. I have checked my simple moves for frame data start up and they still just corner and Spam me. I have no problem in being beaten by someone who out plays me but I don't like losing to people who just spam. I have tried to look into how to break certain spam moves and combos but they still get in on me. So I'm desperate to spar with someone to show me what I can do. As practicing with AI can help but it's not the same as going against a human. Thanks
Define "spam"? There are certain moves that you see over and over again but it's because they are often the character's best moves. Things like SZ's B321 string and Scorpion's F34 string are the bread and butter of their move sets. However, the good thing is that you'll be good at defending against them with time because you see them a lot. If you find yourself losing to the same move, try going into practice mode and experiment with what your character can do against those moves (provided you know all the frame data), or you can open up the frame data of your character and the AI training dummy and see it in real time.

Kenshi-Keanu-Kool

D1 mashing is the tactic when skill fails !
I'm looking for some serious tutorial help please. I am currently starting to play on the Kombat League and all I want to do is go up the ranks to collect gear, I'm not bothered about actually competing to be the best but I'm struggling to win any fights. Can anyone please help me, even if it is as a practice fighting to stop being spammed to death! Any response would be grateful. Thanks
Spamm D1 and D3 and if Simone calls you a D masher just Replay ' its a poke " Get better scrub lol Thats high level táctica on Nrs community lol

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
If u really wanna get better you gotta invest time theres no other way around. Just pick a character you like the most, learn basic combos, learn whats safe and whats not, and by playing against real opponents you get better. If you get beat by something and u dont know how to punish it, go in practise mode, set AI on what your opponent was doing that gave you trouble, and find a way to counter it.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
I
Use noob also if u want to do some games i can play or we can do a koth sometime so u can see how noob approaches different characters 8)

Spamm D1 and D3 and if Simone calls you a D masher just Replay ' its a poke " Get better scrub lol Thats high level táctica on Nrs community lol
Not bad advice cheers, I have tried to look into some of these but seems to be done of the other fighters still get ahead of me so that's why I'm looking for alternatives, cheers

Obviously this will get you bodied by anyone good but he said he can't win anything. My explanation is the most straight forward way to win SOME matches maybe lol
I can win a few fights but it's the fights when I lose because the other fighters just spam, so that's why I'm trying to find ways to stop spammers to be honest, cheers

I

Use noob also if u want to do some games i can play or we can do a koth sometime so u can see how noob approaches different characters 8)
Thanks for the offer, are you on PS4? I wouldn't mind possibly sparring but not koth to be honest, what's your ID as well please, cheers

If u really wanna get better you gotta invest time theres no other way around. Just pick a character you like the most, learn basic combos, learn whats safe and whats not, and by playing against real opponents you get better. If you get beat by something and u dont know how to punish it, go in practise mode, set AI on what your opponent was doing that gave you trouble, and find a way to counter it.
I know I have to invest and I have to be honest but there's only so far your skill can naturally go especially if you don't invest the time like a pro gamer, I have concentrated on noob and I just need help really in stopping the spammers so that's why I would like someone to spar with to show me where in going wrong and how to stop spammers, thanks

Define "spam"? There are certain moves that you see over and over again but it's because they are often the character's best moves. Things like SZ's B321 string and Scorpion's F34 string are the bread and butter of their move sets. However, the good thing is that you'll be good at defending against them with time because you see them a lot. If you find yourself losing to the same move, try going into practice mode and experiment with what your character can do against those moves (provided you know all the frame data), or you can open up the frame data of your character and the AI training dummy and see it in real time.
Basically what your saying there is exactly my problem, AI is good to practise with but it's better to have someone to spar with add they can give feedback and ways to get past it, as AI only do as they are told, cheers

Error404

Noob
Practice throw breaking on reaction.
Practice blocking for a long time.
Learn some match-ups.

Complex offence doesn't exist in this game.Block damage is also pretty low for almost all characters. As long as you know, how to tech throws and when to break combos , you'll be good at MK11.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Right now, one of the best things you can probably do is delete the word "SPAM" from your vocabulary. It's a dismissive, canned response to not knowing what to do. In the end it's not empowering. You don't have to invest any more into a game than it's worth to you, but be ok with losing to something you don't know what to do about, or be ok with hunting down an answer for it after.

That doesn't mean finding answers is easy. And it doesn't mean applying the answers is easy either. Lord knows I'm going to keep getting jumped to death even though I play two of the best d3 anti-air characters in the game. It takes me forever to learn my lesson, but I'm also too stubborn to quit and sometimes I figure something out.

Keep at it, and when you play someone find the one thing they can't deal with, that one place they are weak. Once you find it keep kicking them there over and over until they die. Don't apologize for it. Don't feel bad about it. And then when they send you hate mail calling you a spammer, take it as a complement. It's part of the gig to look at someone, crawl into their head, and find what they can't handle.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I can win a few fights but it's the fights when I lose because the other fighters just spam, so that's why I'm trying to find ways to stop spammers to be honest, cheers
So basically in a fighting game there's a way around almost everything your opponent might do -- either to not get hit by it and be patient as you get in, or to actually hit them for doing it.

But if your opponent sees that you're not countering it, they will continue to do it until you do something about it. That's actually the smart way to win.

So it's up to you to learn how to force them to do something else; and that takes learning 1) A little bit about how other characters work and 2) Learning how to counter certain tactics in fighting games in general.

Watching tournaments is a good start, but I also think it's good to start posting videos and asking more specific questions about how to counter certain things.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I find not always worrying about technical numbers as much and rather what's safe and unsafe, you'll know this via basic labbing, practicing etc. I keep it simple most of the time.

Hit tutorial mode as well, some parts of it are incredibly annoying and things you won't be using 99% of the time if at all like Flawless block into U2 counters, imo it's a waste of meter and can be better spent on other things like breakaways, wake ups which you will need trust me.

If you can find a buddy online or off(preferably) but most of us aren't that fortunate to spar with, test things out, practice. Also if you test out a few characters, go with who you feel the most confident with chances are that's the character you'll wind up winning the most with.

SPAM though is most likely just someone zoning you out, it's not cheating or anything. While it can be annoying it can also be dealt with, learn to wave dash aka dash cancelling close with your character if your character has a teleport utilize to get around as some characters have good mobility like scorpion, cetrion, raiden, skarlet to name a few offhand.

D1 in this game and throws are your friend, it's a huge part of the meta, use your best pokes, learns what moves are safe and unsafe. Learn everything as much as you can about your favorite character/s. Learn matchups as well.

Right now, one of the best things you can probably do is delete the word "SPAM" from your vocabulary. It's a dismissive, canned response to not knowing what to do. In the end it's not empowering. You don't have to invest any more into a game than it's worth to you, but be ok with losing to something you don't know what to do about, or be ok with hunting down an answer for it after.

That doesn't mean finding answers is easy. And it doesn't mean applying the answers is easy either. Lord knows I'm going to keep getting jumped to death even though I play two of the best d3 anti-air characters in the game. It takes me forever to learn my lesson, but I'm also too stubborn to quit and sometimes I figure something out.

Keep at it, and when you play someone find the one thing they can't deal with, that one place they are weak. Once you find it keep kicking them there over and over until they die. Don't apologize for it. Don't feel bad about it. And then when they send you hate mail calling you a spammer, take it as a complement. It's part of the gig to look at someone, crawl into their head, and find what they can't handle.
That is a good statement and your completely right thank you. I'm the same in the sense of not quiting and that is the reason I'm on here to try and find someone who can help enlighten my game tactics, hense why I would like some sort of sparring partner who knows how to do the repetitiveness (spam) fighting and tell me where I'm going wrong and what I can do to solve it, I appreciate your feedback and I would also appreciate anyone who would spare time to spar with me to tell me where in going wrong, thanks

I find not always worrying about technical numbers as much and rather what's safe and unsafe, you'll know this via basic labbing, practicing etc. I keep it simple most of the time.

Hit tutorial mode as well, some parts of it are incredibly annoying and things you won't be using 99% of the time if at all like Flawless block into U2 counters, imo it's a waste of meter and can be better spent on other things like breakaways, wake ups which you will need trust me.

If you can find a buddy online or off(preferably) but most of us aren't that fortunate to spar with, test things out, practice. Also if you test out a few characters, go with who you feel the most confident with chances are that's the character you'll wind up winning the most with.

SPAM though is most likely just someone zoning you out, it's not cheating or anything. While it can be annoying it can also be dealt with, learn to wave dash aka dash cancelling close with your character if your character has a teleport utilize to get around as some characters have good mobility like scorpion, cetrion, raiden, skarlet to name a few offhand.

D1 in this game and throws are your friend, it's a huge part of the meta, use your best pokes, learns what moves are safe and unsafe. Learn everything as much as you can about your favorite character/s. Learn matchups as well.
Thank you, I know what they do isn't cheating and it is frustrating and I don't mind losing, I would just prefer to lose to someone with skill and flare. I have practised but as I've said in some of the other quotes, I think I would benefit from sparring with someone to say where I'm going wrong or what they would do if they were in my shoes, any offers to spar would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Geared for new fighters, something worth watching for that has just started this past week, James Chen is restarting something he has done before and doing a learn to play fighting games series he calls "First Attack"

He has also recently been watching new players fight for awhile and offering up tailored advice for players in a couple of games (Not MK11). His chat doesn't move so fast that he can't keep up and there a strong chance he would respond to "how do I" questions while streaming. He is trying to carve stuff up into specific topical segments on a regular basis, and the First Attack stuff is going to be the learning streams.

The first, First Attack video is on his stream channel here:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/547985663