What's new

Help me with a backup.

Who should I use as a secondary?

• Total voters

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Ive been maining sonya for tournament play recently and i think it is time i really look into picking up a secondary and maybe even a 3rd. The choice is between smoke and sektor and im really wondering which one would be better. I like both characters but atm im leaning more towards smoke because of his tools and his ability to cover (for the most part) any bad matchup sonya may have. These matchups are mainly Kabal and Kenshi if that helps with any insight into the matter.

Any help is appreciated.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Dude your Sonya is nice. You made me want to pick her up after this weekend.
Thanks man. We had some really good games. What you didnt see though was my match vs LOTF. He used kabal and i felt absolutely helpless. Pig also was talking to me about the kenshi matchup and how if i ever beat him he would want to buy me a cake to congratulate me. Both of those experiences are making me lean toward having a backup just in case.

Beast3

Theres No Escape
Personally, I'd recommend Smoke. He's fairly easy to pick up, you just have to learn his spacing/ footsies. His pressure, once you get him going, is insane. Its like trying to stop a freaking train. He's also very good vs zoners due to his shake and smoke towards/away ability that can all allow you to basically ignore every projectile on screen.

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
only a character that can counter kenshi/kabal/freddy

soo.. kung lao, smoke, sektor

I vote smoke. I'm not a tournament player but I find he is the best anti-bullshit character in the game. He's got great offense and his defense is unreal. And his learning curve isn't anything, so he'd be quick to pick up. He's who I use to back up my Sonya. For what it's worth.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I use Raiden as my secondary, with an occasional dose of Sub-Zero and Rain.

...oh, fuck it, use everyone like me! ;)

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I've seen your Smoke and your Sektor. I've also seen your Rain and your Sonya.

My opinion is that you should with your absolute best character and that is, by far, Rain. The more you play his bad matches, the more comfortable you will be in them. I feel more comfortable using Sub versus Kitana than I do... Raiden vs Kitana.

That said, if you want to pick b/w Smoke and Sektor... having seen you play both of them... I would say sektor. You seem farther along with him than you do with Smoke.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Honestly, your Sonya is good and very close to being your best. Your Rain is great, but as a character Rain is easily out maneuvered. Sonya and Smoke on the other cannot be out mobilized.

I am amazed how much I like Scorpion when I show him a little love. Just... see if any effort with Smoke or Sektor makes the decision for you.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Sektor is frustrating me too much at this point and i just cant seem to get the playstyle of smoke down yet. Ill keep working with smoke but for the most part i think im going to be using all sonya unless i start to feel like i cant deal with kabal and kenshi. Smoke does seem good but until i can get used to his style it wont do me good. And smoke doesnt seem to do great against kabal either and i refuse to play kung lao for either kenshi or kabal. So for the time being ill most likely be all sonya.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Sektor is frustrating me too much at this point and i just cant seem to get the playstyle of smoke down yet. Ill keep working with smoke but for the most part i think im going to be using all sonya unless i start to feel like i cant deal with kabal and kenshi. Smoke does seem good but until i can get used to his style it wont do me good. And smoke doesnt seem to do great against kabal either and i refuse to play kung lao for either kenshi or kabal. So for the time being ill most likely be all sonya.
Yeah, I don't think you have Sektor down. I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I think I've figured him out each time on the first round. He doesn't compare at all to your Rain or Sonya. Try Reptile dude, he can fight both Kenshi and Kabal and is also pretty aggressive.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Ive actually been playing around with cage too just cause i like any rush down character. He's definitely fun but there are already so many cages out there. He's definitely fun for casual play though. RampaginDragon Hates my 1 week cage with a passion already hahaha
Ice clone gives you an icy finger and a smile.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Yeah, I don't think you have Sektor down. I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I think I've figured him out each time on the first round. He doesn't compare at all to your Rain or Sonya. Try Reptile dude, he can fight both Kenshi and Kabal and is also pretty aggressive.
Reptile is a possibility but there are already like 5 of them from ATL and one of them is one of my good friends. I though about possibly trying freddy. Im just trying to spitball ideas through my head but nothing has worked yet. Yea and i know my sektor is super predictable and thats why i dont think hes good for me.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Reptile is a possibility but there are already like 5 of them from ATL and one of them is one of my good friends. I though about possibly trying freddy. Im just trying to spitball ideas through my head but nothing has worked yet. Yea and i know my sektor is super predictable and thats why i dont think hes good for me.
Freddy loses to Kabal doesn't he? Oh well, it would be cool to have a Freddy to fight as opposed to 2 Sonyas. I think I'd have to bust out Smoke or Scorp for that one.

Death

Noob
KL is def a good choice as an alt. Beats Sonyas 2 bad MUs in Kenshi/Freddy and goes even with Kabal. But judging from your pole id recommend Sektor. He probably goes even with Freddy/Kenshi/Kabal. I think Smoke loses to Kabal pretty badly and Kabal is Sonyas worst MU.

Enenra

Go to hell.
KL is def a good choice as an alt. Beats Sonyas 2 bad MUs in Kenshi/Freddy and goes even with Kabal. But judging from your pole id recommend Sektor. He probably goes even with Freddy/Kenshi/Kabal. I think Smoke loses to Kabal pretty badly and Kabal is Sonyas worst MU.
Smarrgasm Use KL against those ATL boys, but you need to stop stealing your neighbor's wifi before you use him on Dylan and I.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Yea i just cant bring myself to play kung lao cause i really hate the character and im honestly not very good with him when i do try to use him. That will be my last resort.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Smarrgasm Use KL against those ATL boys, but you need to stop stealing your neighbor's wifi before you use him on Dylan and I.
Haha dont worry ill be out of this apartment and back home by thursday. Then you wont know what hit you. Me+a good connection=Buttfrustrations for you and Dylan.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Haha dont worry ill be out of this apartment and back home by thursday. Then you wont know what hit you. Me+a good connection=Buttfrustrations for you and Dylan.
So you know that Scorpion I keep talking about?

Yeah, I hope you don't mind mix ups inside of mix ups while I take away your wake up game.

totheark

Shazzy's Senpai
Sektor's the better choice, coming straight from the poll.

Just pick up Kabal, you won't have problems anymore.