What's new

Help me be a better player

See topic:

Since my 360 is off in repair land, I want to take some time to stop and rethink my game. Thus, I am using MKT for the Playstation.

My reasons for making this post:

1.) To grab everyone's attention

2.) To ask those people who have played me(lots of them, and many from this site) what my flaws are so I can fix them and better myself.

I am a Shang Tsung player and just wondering what I can do to fix my game.

Thanks to those who might reply.

Q

My 360's going to repair land later this week=(

Anyway,

Learn other characters so that you can morph into opponents counter and capitalize on the advantage (i.e. If you are fighting Kung Lao, morph into USub).

Thats actually very true, using a bottom tier character and obviously needing advice, a good way to get better would be just pick kabal or human smoke and master them instead.

Work on run jab techniques and throw in random sweeps and run knees. Get that basic stuff down and all your characters will be better.

Frankiebonez said:
Thats actually very true, using a bottom tier character and obviously needing advice, a good way to get better would be just pick kabal or human smoke and master them instead.

Work on run jab techniques and throw in random sweeps and run knees. Get that basic stuff down and all your characters will be better.
So the best advice to give is:

"Don't pick a low tier character you have fun with. Pick someone so you can win?"

My original question was to people who I've played. Universal advice is welcome, but this was directed to people that have played against me and know my style and flaws.

Nothing wrong with Shang, but you can't just base your game around one character and never use others. In ranked matches, I am almost always, Hsmoke, Rsmoke, Kung Lao, or Kabal (but usually Hsmoke), and have little trouble because if you use one character only, you can become predictable. If you learn other characters, it will benefite you in many ways: A. More characters learned, better you are at fighting them, B. You have more options when fighting opponents who can shut down Shang, C. You can morph into learned characters and counter your opponent.

QuiGonZel said:
Frankiebonez said:

So the best advice to give is:

"Don't pick a low tier character you have fun with. Pick someone so you can win?"

My original question was to people who I've played. Universal advice is welcome, but this was directed to people that have played against me and know my style and flaws.
Well I told ya what to do to win so IDK... but if your hell bent on shang tsung for whatever reason, perfect your run jabs and the techniques involved with them, and figure out when is a good time to morph and be prepared when your going to un-morph. Un-morphing when being rushed down = loss.

Thats really it, I dont think we ever played, but I'm assuming your run jab techniques arent up to par if your posting stuff like this and not asking specifics. Also, if you jump, try and play without jumping at all. Then jump when needed. That will help anyone who jumps tons.

Derek

Noob
The best thing about Shang Tsung is that he's hard to juggle in some aspects. Essentially he's low tier for a reason.

Tim Static

Adminerator
QuiGonZel said:
Tim Static said:
Learn a better character, like Kung Lao, H.Smoke or Kabal.
What worthless advice.
Fact is, learning how to use high tier characters will help you become more effective with, well, not so good characters. Your goal should be able to Random Select and not just be effective, but put up a challenge to anybody & everybody.

Tim Static said:
QuiGonZel said:
Tim Static said:
Learn a better character, like Kung Lao, H.Smoke or Kabal.
What worthless advice.
Fact is, learning how to use high tier characters will help you become more effective with, well, not so good characters. Your goal should be able to Random Select and not just be effective, but put up a challenge to anybody & everybody.
Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Shouldn't it be, "Learning a supremely low tier character, where it's harder to achieve victory, will benefit you more than learning a high tier character because it's easier to win"?

I mean, if you can consistently win with someone like Sheeva, isn't that more to a player's benefit? If you pick a high tier character, where it's easier to win, what does the player have to gain from that? Relying on high tier gimmicks to win matches? I would think that winning with a shitty character would make it easier to win with a higher character.

Taking the long, hard road with a lower one seems like it would have more long term benefits. Now, I'm not a horrible player with Shang Tsung by any stretch of the imagination. 3000 wins and 1900 losses isn't a terrible ratio. It's not amazing, but it's not in the negatives.

However, when someone says "Pick a higher tier character." makes it sound like you're saying, "Why are you using shitty characters? You're just going to lose. Pick someone who has a better chance of winning."

That is what we're saying lol. Pick a better character to win. From a fun standpoint, play whoever, but if you wanna play to win, pick the cream of the crop. You wont ever see shang used in a competition.

The tips for playing shang have been pretty much given. Perfect those techniques and you should be all good, and you will do the best you can with him.

Frankiebonez said:
That is what we're saying lol. Pick a better character to win. From a fun standpoint, play whoever, but if you wanna play to win, pick the cream of the crop. You wont ever see shang used in a competition.

The tips for playing shang have been pretty much given. Perfect those techniques and you should be all good, and you will do the best you can with him.
But if you're playing to win using someone you don't like... doesn't that defeat the purpose of playing?

Like I said, if your playing to win, then no it doesnt... if your playing to have fun, then it does... Play for fun then it doesnt matter. You asked for shang tips they have been given at this point. If you wanna win, play different characters its that simple, you will increase your odds.

Good Luck.

Your Shang definitely is very good, vastly improved. The only tip I could have for ya is.. pay attention to the timer and practice practice practice.

Real T

Noob
QuiGonZel, I have been playing w shang for 12 years. I will play u in some shang vs shang matches and give u tips and stuff. Plus I enjoy shang matches, and not many people play as him. And when someone tells u to learn someone else higher tier, tell them u already learned those characters- THATS WHY U PICK SHANG!! (unless u dont have every character mastered? U should if u are going to use shang...)

my GT= REAL T420. (also for anyone who wants to play me...)

PS- I have no problem winning with shang... :)

Real T said:
QuiGonZel, I have been playing w shang for 12 years. I will play u in some shang vs shang matches and give u tips and stuff. Plus I enjoy shang matches, and not many people play as him. And when someone tells u to learn someone else higher tier, tell them u already learned those characters- THATS WHY U PICK SHANG!! (unless u dont have every character mastered? U should if u are going to use shang...)

my GT= REAL T420. (also for anyone who wants to play me...)

PS- I have no problem winning with shang... :)
Definately play with Real...the man is a Shang Guru.