What's new

Hellboy Tech & Combo Thread

So I only got to mess around with Hellboy for about an hour yesterday but here are a few things I’ve noticed.

1. He can’t get good damage off of d1 cuz all of his actual combo extenders are grabs.
2. A LOT of gaps in strings. 11, f23, 22u3,22d3, I think some others as well.
3. Damage is so-so without trait but a mb b3/f3 while trait is active nets a ass load of damage (About 50% for 1 bar).
4. Can’t think that b1 and it’s strings will have much use, can’t full combo anything unless you bounce cancel b1 by itself.
5. Leap stuff is HARD.
6. His meterless damage is decent, 11b2 done 3 time and finished with 11airgrab does between 250-300 damage (this being off a 8 frame punish)
leap stuff hard ? so easy for grodd players :DOGE

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
!!ATTENTION PS4 PLAYERS!!

Apparently, the update and Hellboy is today for us. I turned on my PS4 before coming to work, turned on the game, and there was a message that said "Must update the game to use online features" but there was no update that automatically appeared to download. Has this happened to anybody today? Or has the update hasnt appeared yet. Located in Cali here

Sesal Snow

Exorcist, Demonologist and Master of the Dark Arts
Ok this is what I think so far really quickly I will do my character overview another time.
I feel his damage is nice with and without meter he can get solid 250-300+ meterless and easy 400-500+ with 1 bar etc. He also has the option to end in setups into leap for great oki game whether your going for the jump in on wake up or you cancel and block the mind game is there for the opponent.
He can convert almost anything into nice damage which is also a plus.

His normal's have decent range, they are not the fastest though I believe his f2 at 13f is his fastest advancing mid and his d2 is his fastest mid.
He is safe on a lot of his string and can hot confirm pretty much all those that are unsafe. With the f23 bf2mb meta game it allows you to condition you opponent to expect the charge this is when you can start throwing out f23 stagger or f23 into leap gimmicks.
Another thing I have noticed is people are trying to anti air me all the time after I do a string such as b22,f23,b12
because they are expecting the leap so now I am simply finishing the strings and staying safe if they block this allows me to also condition them to expect the charge/the whole string or the leap.

I have noticed his counter zoning is pretty strong especially when you use trait along with it whether it be the armour,damage or defence it all helps extremely well and does a decent bit of damage.
His leap mobility allows him to doge projectiles with ease and get in relatively well for example you can react to a Superman laser with leap and cancel into block.

I think that's all I can think of at the moment as I said I will do a full overview another time.
So at the moment I am loving him he suit's my play style well he's a lot of fun and he's also one of my favourite character's out right so that's a bonus.
What do you guys think so far?

CriminalCreed

But will it mix?
Ground slam stays active for a decently long time. After long combos it is actually possible for it to hit meaty, making it much safer than it normally is on block because of how late it hits. Only works against tech rolls, though. Got it to be probably -14, which is still bad, but is a lot better than it normally is at -29 billion.

Sesal Snow

Ground slam stays active for a decently long time. After long combos it is actually possible for it to hit meaty, making it much safer than it normally is on block because of how late it hits. Only works against tech rolls, though. Got it to be probably -14, which is still bad, but is a lot better than it normally is at -29 billion.
Yeah I noticed this the pound also come's in handy when doing it off a f23 bec of the quick get up and if the opponent starts to catch on you can leap cancel anyways.
Good stuff.

Sesal Snow

Ok so a lot of people have been asking what I do in the corner so I thought I would just make a quick snippet of what I normally do in the corner with Hellboy.

Sesal Snow

Another thing I found guys is the leap setup off of f23 in the corner you can choose where you land.
If you end in f23 close leap air dash it will cross up.
If you end in f23 far air dash it wont cross up.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
So, I had like 3m before I had to go, but, I wish his jump normals crossed up naturally, allowing for vaguely beetle-esque air hops.. it seems like you only get leap/air dash crossup stuff off specific setups yes? Like the f23 quick rise into J2 Sesal showed early in the thread.

It's a shame his b1 only combos if you bounce cancel it by itself.

Going to be interesting opening people up with him if they play conservatively.

His air grab is going to be super good.

I have no other thoughts just yet.