What's new

Healing Wind (b1f1)

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
hi guys, a few things first:

i dunno if b1f1 has been discussed, detailed or dismissed at great length already. so if this is the case, i feel silly please ignore this thread after linking me to a source or enlightening me of the purpose of healing wind. lately ive been trying to find any use for healing wind but i cant really see its use. since there is little to no KL discussion i figured that if tym hadnt nutted this one out, we could give it a try.

USING HEALING WIND AFTER A JUMP IN PUNCH
firstly, these could be basic points and common knowledge, but i thought i'd share some of the basic info so far. let me know what you think and sorry if this is bad. i dont know if this is good or bad info. thats why i brought it here ;)

from a JIP there appears to be some benefits from using healing wind.

mid screen bnb
JIP > 112 SPIN > JK DK 2 EnHat > 1, 1, 2-4-1+3-2 = 43%
JIP > 21 SPIN > JK DK 2 EnHat > 1, 1, 2-4-1+3-2 = 44%
JIP > HW SPIN > JK DK 2 EnHat > 1, 1, 2-4-1+3 = 45%

using healing wind after a jip also seems to be a safe and good option for mind games. if healing wind is blocked after your JIP, the enemy must wait and react to whether you go through with a full healing wind or you decide to cut it halfway. full healing wind on block will leave you at sweep distance with neutral frames [0 for each player]. if you choose to stop healing wind half way through, you are at point blank distance with the neutral frames again opening for a throw, or if you choose to combo out of B+1 you can low hat, spin or teleport. there is also the possibility for mind game as KL can cancel HW into the special move at 3 different timings depending on your location in the map. midscreen you can B+1 [2 hit then cancel] ~ special move or B+1F+1 [3 hit then cancel] ~ special move - additionally, in the corner you can of couse perform the entire healing wind animation and juggle the spin. of course the special move at any point can be teleport, spin or low hat. Healing Wind has a pretty extreme start up but i think there is potential for mix up with its effective and safe use.

because healing wind appears to connect with crouching blocking opponents, id like to see its potential for using the corner on a trapped opponent. i was thinking a cornered opponent who is trapped with EN low hat is a good opportunity for HW also. if they attempt to poke you out of healing wind, they will receive damage from the hat. if they block the healing wind, you have the opportunity to cancel healing wind into a move from the 2 or 3 hit cancel described above. additionally, you can perform a full healing wind and if the whole thing is blocked you are still safe from punish because of your grinding hat. thirdly, if you land the healing wind you have the opportunity to get a decent 29% - 37% combo which may or may not include releasing the hat.

i really think healing wind i useful in the way i described above. i played some games against a friend and he was unprepared for it when i used it, and when they are placed at sweep distance KL is very safe. the mixup was cool too because he didn't expect the low hat when i used it from the HW, or cutting HW in half [dropping the second input] was great to land a throw or start another pressure string which is confusing.

SAFE PRESSURE OPTION
i think a lot people are frustrated that low hat was nerfed and now when KL ends a pressure string with it he gets blown up. its annoying getting in and landing a blockstring only to be put at 0 advantage and putting yourself at the risk of a counter combo taking your life. we already know healing wind grants max damage if only by 1 or 2%, we also know it builds as much meter as a full blocked windy palm. healing wind is also hit confirmable so its no gamble when you convert it to a spin combo. therefore i propose that one should make much more effort to use this after every successful JIP or tele3. if they dont block youve added more damage to your combo. if they block, youve built meter and healing wind has pushed you back to a safe distance where any normal attack cant punish you. youre at 0 but further away which is exactly where KL thrives in my experience and playstyle. being just outside sweep and dancing between just inside and just outside jump distance playing a tight footsie game is what i like best these days. of course with the healthy mix up JIP/tele3 > 24, this strategy will be very effective imo. some of you might be doing this already, but im still not seeing happen online or on streams (my only mk interaction here in australia).

METER BUILDING WITH HEALING WIND
if you land an entire healing wind on a blocked opponent, it takes a measly 8.5 HW to have a full xray meter. 3 HW will give you a little bit over 1 bar. this is equal to the entire windy palm combination 1121, on block. 1 HW = 1 WP. this is why KL builds meter like a 80:55

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Is that the hand chop string? Its one of his only attacks that hits special mid. Plus, I think it counts as 4 hits so you can build meter while remaining safe unlike 212121212121212121212121 ...

miloPKL

yeah, cool KT, thanks. so perhaps its good for meter building but i have no trouble building as it is. ill take a look into that or if someone else already has, feel free to stroll into this threas and let us know.

kt what exactlyis the significance of 'special mid'? does healing wind hit overhead? not to my knowledge but i confess im not certain. i always assumed no.

gdf

Noob
I think the only problem with Healing Wind is start-up time. If you begin to trade hits with someone who is using a faster attack than you (jab or low poke), you might just eat a combo. It probably has some mid-combo properties that make it serve as a block string, after you have scared your opponent into blocking high of course.

miloPKL

yeah, cool, this is the kind of discussion i was after. until a superpro walks into the thread and says "stfu its definitively useless because of XYZ", lets continue to think about its use, lets attempt to be thoughtful and creative with this seemingly limited move. if it hasnt been explored, lets consider its use;

combo starter
mid combo
pressure, strings, mixup opportunities
juggles and shenanigans

probably none of these things are possible, but we can try.

gdf

Noob
I believe there was a combo posted that had just b1, as a juggle into Ultimate Hat. May or may not be relevant.

What I mean by mid-combo, it is similar to when you are doing 1,1,2,1. And your opponent is conditioned to block high, you can most likely have an abrupt stop to that string (I'm not limiting it to 1,1,2,1) and probably put b1, f1 in place of the rest of the string.

Thanks to what KT Smith said, it gives users an incentive to actually use it by building meter, and it's neutral frames on block. Add something like low hat or teleport after that, and could have possible taken about 10%+ depending on what part of the original string you stopped at. And built meter while you were at it.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Right, if you can somehow use it in his footsie game that would be sick, the range on it is quite long and B1 can be linked into spin from the same distance at the start of a round, since its special mid maybe it cant get around certain other attacks?

6% chip damage too, thats pretty good.

miloPKL

thanks guys, good shit so far, keep it coming. ill put everything to the test tonight and in the meantime test your ideas. you should know that whenever im posting here, its from my phone while i literally sit in a chair at work and wait for customers. after work ill try out some siuations and scenarios. i havent tried exploring healing wind as an AA but thats a cool idea because it seems like the attack is active for a decent time as well as the hitbox seems kinda on the larger side. could be good to punish jump ins and air game but we must also question whether its worth attempting HW or simply spinning for big damage. if HW opens up combo opportunities from AA that would be cool.

gdf

Noob
x5iVE_STAR Can you find out for me how many block HWs it takes to build a bar of meter? I worked some last weekend and I saw it built up pretty damn fast. I just need an approximation.

I have an idea, and need to have some data to find out whether or not it has merit.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I thought 2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1........ was safe on block as well? I could swear that was one of his buffs, and arguably a big one at that.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
1121 on block, back step into b1, the reach on the b1 is massive and mid hitting, can probly beat out some characters with short pokes like Liu and Cage

gdf

Noob
Killphil I don't think it is safe. The frame data says, to my knowledge, is disadvantage. (I believe negative on block means disadvantage, I was never very clear on this)

A F0xy Grampa Hey man I'm going to be a jerk here, but is this pure theory fighting or half theory fighting, half experience?

LesMore

Top 8 Injustice Frosty Faustings VII
But the spin is just so much better in every possible way.
damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you are so right... it is UNBELIEVABLE I missed that seriously... oh maybe its a good anti air, I say...
about the charecter with the best aa in the game...
whoops!
also gdf I think everything foxygranpa says comes from experience. MAD EXPERIENCE!! guy is bananas!!

gdf

Noob
also gdf I think everything foxygranpa says comes from experience. MAD EXPERIENCE!! guy is bananas!!
I'm not doubting that he is good, because HW is not as used as much as I think.

It's not like I disagree with his sentiment at all, I think he has a higher chance of being right than wrong. However, I just wanted to make sure that the characters he mentioned might be beat by it. He even said probably, which means he isn't assuming himself right.

I just wanted a little more info about the example characters. Because more often than not they are in-fact a pain.

miloPKL

yeah forget about HW as an anti air, although it is active a long time if you're not sure on your enemy timing

i really think healing wind i useful in the way i described above. i played some games against a friend and he was unprepared for it when i used it, and when they are placed at sweep distance KL is very safe. the mixup was cool too because he didn't expect the low hat when i used it from the HW, or cutting HW in half [dropping the second input] was great to land a throw or start another pressure string which is confusing.

x5iVE_STAR Can you find out for me how many block HWs it takes to build a bar of meter? I worked some last weekend and I saw it built up pretty damn fast. I just need an approximation.

I have an idea, and need to have some data to find out whether or not it has merit.

gdf
if you land an entire healing wind on a blocked opponent, it takes a measly 8.5 HW to have a full xray meter. 3 HW will give you a little bit over 1 bar. this is equal to the entire windy palm combination 1121, on block. 1 HW = 1 WP. this is why KL builds meter like a 80:55

gdf

Noob
gdf
Okay, my idea then would be for a mid-screen pressure string. Admiral Augustus said he saw someone do a similar idea.

It is drop the BNB combo after the jab (before 2,4,1+3), dash backwards drop an EX low hat as they are falling down. Hold block after laying down the hat, just in case the opponent is a wake-up happy kind of person.

Then when they are progressively getting up, regardless of the circumstance the ex low hat points to wherever Kung Lao is looking. They will probably be blocking, and then use HW, due to the natural inclination of people blocking when around an EX low hat(or back dash, both of these have happened to me), then building that same bar back up with a few more HW before the EX low hat times out. (The only part I am pretty sure about is the time it takes for EX low hat to time out, is a barely shorter than the time it takes to regain one bar of meter, but I could always be wrong) The actual implementation of this idea is just theory fighting though.

miloPKL

gdf the only problem would be the pushback on a full healing wind, so the hat will only be effective until the end of your first healing wind, after then its starting to get dangerous because they, in my imagination, would be starting to get too far away from the grinding hat. of course if you mean in the corner, then this might be a good idea, but the problem is not getting uppercut out of the 20~whatever-frame start up.

id like to see you put this into practice though and get some results back.

so far the greatest use for this i have found is corner pressure using the HW mixup and midscreen after a jump in punch > into HW mixup. remember the mixup is great because you can break it off into many options, depending on if you follow through with a full HW and you are left with sweep distance safety, cancel into special move including teleport, stop halfway and go for a throw because there is so little pushback, start another pressure string etc.

gdf

Noob
x5iVE_STAR
Oh yeah, you are so right about the pushback in the first HW. Making using it midscreen a moot point.

This is so good that we can discuss stuff here so easily, rather than get blown up during a match. lol

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I'm not doubting that he is good, because HW is not as used as much as I think.

It's not like I disagree with his sentiment at all, I think he has a higher chance of being right than wrong. However, I just wanted to make sure that the characters he mentioned might be beat by it. He even said probably, which means he isn't assuming himself right.

I just wanted a little more info about the example characters. Because more often than not they are in-fact a pain.
I've managed to get it to work a few times, you've just gotta know that they're gonna poke.

Reactions: gdf