What's new

Question HawkGirl Representation at EVO 2013

Insuperable

My mom tells me I'm pretty
I'm probably going just to spectate, but I'll say I play Hawkgirl just so there's more than one rep ;_;

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
@AspyxiaDyslexia , i dont see how green arrow is a bad matchup, or Cyborg. U also forgot Batgirl and Lex who imo are 2 or her 3 worst matchups. Batgirl, lex and sinestro are the bad MUs i really worry about.
everyone else i can work around, either way im not worried about any of them as ive played against them enough to know what i need to do to win.
I have beaten pretty good Batgirls, it's a pretty difficult match up since we must wait so must and we literaly can't do almost nothing, we must forward dash and block her zoning, waiting for a random teleport maybe.. Yes, sorry i forgot to put Lex and Batgirl, but trust me.. A good green arrow is a pain in the ass, since his low/medium arrows can punish her mace charge, her trait is pretty useless in that match up! What can we do then? Also upclose he is going to use that ground arrow thing as hell

ReZo

MKX
Aww man, Evo is so amazing. Last year, I took a bunch of the gamers out to a nightclub and showed them how to party....it was the highlight of my Evo.

But to answer your question...HawkGirl can totally avoid him while at her peak height in flight...so that's a plus. Frost can punish him incredibly well but looses the air battle. Catwoman...she can scare him but it's tough. Don't judge me from my front page set with Reo's Scorpion...he was my first and I was a total virgin...LOST AND CONFUSED. So I guess Frost would be the best against him...but HG seriously competes with the "S-tier" characters...they just don't know yet.

I know that HG competes with the S-Tier's.... from experience in our matches... lol

Jon Berg

Noob
What makes you say that? I find superman, Derpstroke and a few others to be far less entertaining to watch..

You can have supbar fundamentals and still be OK with Hawkgirl because she defies most of the games rules. Can get pretty damn far with only Specials and d1.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
I forget that you rep her...I'm in denial. When I think of you I think of Superman...;)
Must be all my superman shirts :) lol and I do use his the second most, but I can't be doing that rush down shit. I have to stay away play a little footsies, pick my spots --> punish then escape.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Thank you. And yes, of course, I imagine there will be people selecting HawkGirl at Evo...but I'm talking the A-list HawkGirls. I'd be in heaven if me, Eternal Blaze, and Boodendorf had our own mean girl clique at Evo. Jk...but you know what I mean. ;)
Sooo... anyone ready to fund me? 1200€ is raw flight to evo from France, I'm pretty sure hotels don't come cheap either. Also add the cost of evo entrance 80€ lol.

I'd love to, but alas I can't. I'm going to enter the first big french injustice offline tournament though, there'll be a stream and all.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Sooo... anyone ready to fund me? 1200€ is raw flight to evo from France, I'm pretty sure hotels don't come cheap either. Also add the cost of evo entrance 80€ lol.

I'd love to, but alas I can't. I'm going to enter the first big french injustice offline tournament though, there'll be a stream and all.
No. :cool:

ShanxterX

@shanxterx follow me hoes
The less the better. Don't know if I can handle watching flying for 20 secs mc d1 rinse repeat.. she is pretty lame..but then again who isn't in this game

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
You know what i always hated? people not wanting a character to succeed coz theyre not "hype" to watch, the fuck is that shit?
its not a fuckin movie i'm not supposed to make it "look" hype or fun, I'm trying to win. People hate on Chris G for playing like that and it always boggles my mind as its the stupidest reason to hate on a player/character/style coz all i see is him playing smart and not taking risks. E-sports mayne..

If the Hawkgirl is only flying, doing MCs with d1's and WINNING then you're either watching a bad hawkgirl or the player that lost sucks and/or has no idea on how to fight her.
She has much more to her than that lol.

Jon Berg

Noob
You know what i always hated? people not wanting a character to succeed coz theyre not "hype" to watch, the fuck is that shit?
its not a fuckin movie i'm not supposed to make it "look" hype or fun, I'm trying to win. People hate on Chris G for playing like that and it always boggles my mind as its the stupidest reason to hate on a player/character/style coz all i see is him playing smart and not taking risks. E-sports mayne..

If the Hawkgirl is only flying, doing MCs with d1's and WINNING then you're either watching a bad hawkgirl or the player that lost sucks and/or has no idea on how to fight her.
She has much more to her than that lol.

Well. I guess I forgot to add jump d3, which is technically a special. But went through your grand finals clip just for fun, and you landed 16 normals that wernt d1 or jd3 through the whole set. The fact of the matter is this character is extremely easy to play, and a lot of the "depth" that it has you can complete forgo and still get good results.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Well. I guess I forgot to add jump d3, which is technically a special. But went through your grand finals clip just for fun, and you landed 16 normals that wernt d1 or jd3 through the whole set. The fact of the matter is this character is extremely easy to play, and a lot of the "depth" that it has you can complete forgo and still get good results.
Hawkgirl easy to play? O______O

Jon Berg

Noob
She has a lot of luxuries other characters don't have. Say I'm playing aquaman or nightwing. Never have to worry about ground pound or from the deep. Killer frost? I sweat slide A TON less than you do. Superman air laser? Doesn't touch hawkgirl. She plays by a different set of rules. Not to mention literally everything she does is safe. Generates a shit ton of meter since all you do is spam specials. And yea, her normals have t-rex range, but thats why outside of the corner and shit like blocked sword flip you dont bother. Why stress yourself over mid screen t-rex range bnb's when you can spam safe macecharge and air maces all day, and ex them for super good damage?

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
She has a lot of luxuries other characters don't have. Say I'm playing aquaman or nightwing. Never have to worry about ground pound or from the deep. Killer frost? I sweat slide A TON less than you do. Superman air laser? Doesn't touch hawkgirl. She plays by a different set of rules. Not to mention literally everything she does is safe. Generates a shit ton of meter since all you do is spam specials. And yea, her normals have t-rex range, but thats why outside of the corner and shit like blocked sword flip you dont bother. Why stress yourself over mid screen t-rex range bnb's when you can spam safe macecharge and air maces all day, and ex them for super good damage?
She has a loot of porential, we know, she can handle every s tier character.., but that doesn't make her easy... A good Hawkgirl player uses her trait barely, ohh yes, everything she does is safe on block, but... Any character can MB her mace charge, and her mace toss and air mace tosses are easy to avoid, if you cant do anything just block them, and her MB mace tosses are all negative on block :3 She isn't the most difficult character to learn.. But she is not an easy one, trust me, if you wanna play her in a "top level" she is not easy

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
16 normals? i cant even tell if you're saying thats a good thing or a bad thing.. isnt that almost her whole toolset?
In a sense this whole game is "easy to play", you dont need to learn much to jump into it and start doing well tbh, what makes hawkgirl easier than say superman or Nightwing or Doomsday?

She's a unique character, with that come some upsides like the ones you mentioned (negating alot of the ground tools) but there's downsides too (aerial tools are much more effective against her than most). IMO she's a game changer just like MvC3's phoenix where both sides' gameplan is totally different than usual once phoenix is in the game.
flight makes her approach the game differently compared to most characters, but it comes with its own downfalls too as its a big part of her game and a good amount of characters have tools that pretty much clip her wings off.

You can punish swordflip anywhere on the screen, there's a range where only 2 hits of the swordflip connect. I never tested max range coz good DS players dont just throw that move out there and shitty ones are too busy spamming guns.

And MC isnt spammable against good players coz a simple jumpback will make you a full combo ~__~ if you're letting the hawkgirl do multiple MCs and you keep blocking them then thats your fault.

Aside from Flash, Shazam and maybe WW every character in this game is easy to play to an extent so i really dont see what makes hawkgirl "extremely easy to play" compared to the rest. You can play her in the way you mentioned (w/o her complicated combos and her hard stuff) but thats not playing the character properly or to their max potential and against a good player you'll get destroyed.

Jon Berg

Noob
I dunno. Against even good players, the downright basics work wonders. Yes every character in this game is pretty easy to play, hawkgirl just takes the cake. I am a convert from competitive dota and hon. This is my first fighting game, and ive been playing for one month. I shouldn't be able to take series over known, quality players having played that long. This character allows me to do that though.

Look at bood or runway. Those are prolly the top two hawkgirls other than ppj, who we havn't seen. Do you see complex combos or any of that? Hell no. She just doesn't have as much depth as other characters. Maybe shes hard to pickup yea, but shes easy once you pass that hurdle.

But that could just be a problem with the game. Just doesnt have the depth of other fighting games.