What's new

Have problems online with Jax..

ok i really want to master Jax,watched alot of fights on youtube i see the best string is F4 ,there are no midscreen combos so it is a little harder,i had match with cyrax like 10 matches i won only one,he isn't that good but i am awful ,he dont block at all just keep pressure on me and i cant do anything,easy bnb combos with cyrax made me cry,so last fight i picked sub zero,and i killed him like nothing,where am i wrong ? what should i do when someone is really aggressive on me with Jax?

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Well, the easiest thing to notice is if that's pressure that's getting on you, then Jax has a ton of armored options and a small hitbox (here you should figure what whiffs on you and what doesn't). But really, it's probably better to browse some guides, make sure you don't drop anything, and then you should practice a lot against people as training mode in MK9 doesn't really help to learn much about counteracting active opponent.

what does whiffs mean ? and what does small hitbox mean,can u link me some guides so i can learn ? thx in advance

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
what does whiffs mean ? and what does small hitbox mean,can u link me some guides so i can learn ? thx in advance
Whiff = miss completely;
Jax having small hitbox means that the area your character takes on the screen is small, so less stuff actually hits you (for example, Jax crouches really low, avoiding some attacks that would hit almost anyone else).

I suppose you'll be able to find theoretical material here.
You probably want to browse through guide and frame data first.

Guys i ak having problem with jump overs,lets say smoke goes his neutral string on me after that he jump over me and start string on block again,if i NJP him he will next time jump+tele,what should i do to avoid these spams ?

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Jax has a 7-frame uppercut (d2). It's been a while since I've played, but I believe that should allow you to catch a lot of cross-up punches. You can also try d4, which lowers your hitbox (making it harder for the cross-up punch to connect) and scores a knockdown if it catches your opponent. I recommend checking out Jax's frame data at http://testyourmight.com/threads/jax-frame-data.17446/. If you're not sure how to read frame data, you can check out this guide: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/106615/basic-frame-data-guide-for-newbies, but it's really just simple math. For instance, Jax's f4 is -17 on block, which means if your opponent blocks it, they can punish it with a move faster than 17 frames, which is why you always want to cancel his f4 into an extension of the f4 string (f4-1, or f4-1-3), or into a safe special like Overhead Smash, which is a good option because it's safe on block and is an overhead, forcing your opponent to have to block the f4 low and the special high.

[edit] Just watched your footage. Overall you've got a very solid Jax, though you should probably throw a bit more, especially since Jax has a high-damage throw. It's probably just a matter of gaining more matchup experience.

Last edited:
here is one more video,thanks for comment i really appriciate ,can u tell me something about these matches,i only won once,this cyrax isnt that good u must adming,but he just rocked me

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Have problem with JIP and cross over immidiatly ? How to get over with it ?
Jax and Cage have the two best D1 in the game. Use it for anti crossovers. On crossover you should be able to poke them with d1 into 1, 1, 1, 1, 2 ~ Elbow smash/gotcha grab/superman punch.

Wigy

There it is...
Also don't forget jax has a great projectile.

I play cyrax, unless you're getting D4'd a lot his pressure shouldn't be a huge issue.

If hes crossing you up with JP's a lot just like everybody else said just D1 him. Also feel out when hes guna jump in, if your approaching and you think he'll jump in, take a step back and hit him with a standing 1, thats how jax gets his midscreen damage, anti airs.

You wana play it slow untill you get in his face, jax has really good pokes, use them as much as possible.

Most importantly do you absolute best to keep him in the corner, you can do a 120ish% combo there!

bettyswallaux

XBOXLive: BettySwallaux
What does AFAIK means ? So d1 for cross up and for jip s1?
AFAIK = as far as i know (i think). Dude you just need to practise you'll get used to it, Dont be to conservative with Jax, rush down as much as you can, always armour through projectiles to get in on your opponent. Jax is a decent zoner also so dont forget to throw out projectiles when you can. As far as his air game he has a few options, you can use his db1 anti air, you can try a neutral jump on them if they try crossing up to much, if theyre jumping towards you his standing 1 is a really good anti air. You can air to air them with jump kick - air throw. Hell you can even superpunch them as an anti air.