What's new

GVN Summer Jam V - 8/27 - 8/28 Philly, PA

alright guys you can now pay for venue registration online. Its for a limited time only at $25. At the door its $35. Get Cracking.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
I'll be attending most likely. Making sure that I got my normal crew to go with first.

Will there be a team MK tournament? I think that would be swell.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
looks like flights are pretty cheap. might make it out to this.

After talking with my better half she has agreed to take the road trip and I will be attending Summer Jam V to help run the MK9 brackets. Afterwards however I must visit art museums which I hope you all know will be painful for me. Just so everyone knows I do take beer donations while running the brackets and I prefer Heineken Light Corona Light or Amstel Light

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Alright, provided I can bunk with someone else I can make it out to Summer Jam. Flights to Philly right now are about $370 so anything I can do to cut costs on rooming would be great.

Noob
I'll have to talk to Big E about it, but since this is the first East Coast major after EVO, it would make sense putting the DLC characters to the test in tournament. Nothing official yet, but I'll talk to Eric about it.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
I'll have to talk to Big E about it, but since this is the first East Coast major after EVO, it would make sense putting the DLC characters to the test in tournament. Nothing official yet, but I'll talk to Eric about it.
You would allow Skarlet how she is now? With her 10/0 match up against Sub Zero and her broken 17% throw? I mean, they might (and should) patch her by then, but what if they do not?

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
I personally don't agree with using DLC characters as cool it would be and they ARE a part of the game...but what about the players who never downloaded them? Granted probably everyone will be there but God forbid what if someone didn't?

Edit: And ps. I'm still looking for people to stay in the room with the people I'm going with...I'm looking to get 6 in a room so get in early and claim a corner ;) lol

DanCock

Cock Master!!
you must allow all 4 DLC characters, it makes no sense in not allowing them.. its stupid that evo is banning Kenshi and Scarlet but letting Kung Lao, Reptile, Raiden and cyrax all allowed.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
you must allow all 4 DLC characters, it makes no sense in not allowing them.. its stupid that evo is banning Kenshi and Scarlet but letting Kung Lao, Reptile, Raiden and cyrax all allowed.
DLC characters run a higher risk of having something extremly broken about them that none of us know. Obviously there is a chance that someone out there is holding a secret about a Stryker infinite and saving it till EVO, but the DLC characters have a lot less testing time and actual tournament time - so you're running a huge risk to have EVO won by something that would be considered broken.

With that said, a 17% back throw (while everyone else gets 12... or 13 if you're Jax/Sheeva) is broken. Also her projectiles are known to create 10/0 match ups. So if I come across a great Sub Zero player like Tom Brady, what is stopping me from putting him into an un-winnable situation?

Why are the reasons that Kung Lao, Reptile, Raiden, and Cyrax should be banned? Bomb traps have been removed (MK3 costume aside), which were not an infinite or un-winnable situation anyway. The only thing I can think of with Reptile is Kitana's inability to punish a blocked dash. Is there something with these characters that are worth banning?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Booked a room. Pretty sure I'm coming.

Banning the DLC characters in late August would be ridiculous. Come on man. Do you have real match footage of these known 10/0 matches?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
The only thing I can think of with Reptile is Kitana's inability to punish a blocked dash.
Kitana can punish blocked dashes with anything starting with 2.

Kenshi is fine to go for tournaments, but Skarlet has way too many problems. She's really buggy and is basically a character who pretty much has a 7-3 if she's not in a losing matchup, which is around 2/3 of the cast or more. She's really not fit for competition at all.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
There should be AT LEAST match videos of Skarlet vs. top players and local tournament wins before banning a character. Serious games don't ban characters because of what a handful of guys on a forum are saying.