What's new

Guide for Cyber Sub-Zero

This is a guide in the Tom Brady format, which will hopefully hold us over until Tom Brady makes an official one. For those who have been maining Cyber-Sub since April, chances are there won't be much content in here that is ground-breaking to you. The guide is mostly for newer players who want to take their game to the next level, or those who are trying to decide whether or not to pick up Cyber-Sub at all. If anyone has anything to add I'll be happy to edit this.

Guide by Apocalypse

BEST NORMALS:
*:fk:bk HIT LEVEL:M,M(overhead) - Safe 2 hit string. The 2nd hit must be blocked standing. If the string connects, it causes a bounce and allows you to follow up.

*:fk:fk:bk HIT LEVEL:M,L,M - Safe 3 hit string. The 2nd hit must be crouch blocked. Gives a nice advantage on hit, and leaves the opponent a little more than half of a screen length away.

*:bp:fp HIT LEVEL: M,M - Safe and quick 2 hit jab string that will serve as the primary combo-starter, as it can be cancelled into all special moves. Can also be followed up with :fp+:bp to launch the opponent.

*:l+:bp:bp HIT LEVEL:M,M - 2 hit string, good for advancing forward due to the way Cyber Sub lunges toward the opponent for the first hit.

SPECIALS:
*Ice Ball :)d:r+:fp) HIT LEVEL:H - Standard freezing projectile that will get punished if blocked up close. Can be ducked without blocking.

*Ice Bomb (Close = :l:l+:fk, Medium = :r:r+:fk, Far = :l:r:r+:fk) HIT LEVEL:Unblockable - Bombs that come out just like Cyrax's bombs, but will freeze the opponent on hit. If thrown while the opponent is in vulnerable frames (hit stun or block stun) the bombs will not freeze. Chances are, you won't use these very much unless you want to get a character off his/her spot.

*Slide :)l:r+:bk) HIT LEVEL:L - Low hitting slide that is extremely unsafe on block (punishable by full combo). Does 9% damage and is great for mix-ups, combo enders, and catching a backwards-jumping opponent.

*Teleport :)d:l+:fp) HIT LEVEL:N/A - Teleports behind the opponent, and can be done both on the ground and while in the air. Can be punished by fast normals during start-up as well as when Cyber Sub is re-appearing on the opponent's opposite side. It's best to use this sparingly and in a situational manner, such as when an Ice Ball hits from long-range and you are too far away to combo. Spamming this will get you killed more often than not.

*Ice Parry :)d:l+:bp) HIT LEVEL: Parries attacks other than low pokes and projectiles. - If the parry lands, Cyber Sub gets a counter-hit for 8% damage. Great for mind-games, and can sometimes slow down a very aggressive opponent. It becomes active almost instantly after you execute the input.

*Dive Kick (Close = :d+:fk, Far = :d+:bk) HIT LEVEL:M - Cyber Sub's best special. Unsafe if the kick lands on the opponent's upper body or head or if it whiffs close to the opponent, but much safer if it lands lower (it will only be punished by fast specials). Quick dive kicks can be used to avoid projectiles, or punish projectiles on reaction if you are at half screen or so. Dive Kicks do 7% damage each.

:en Moves:
*Ice Beam :)d:r+:fp+:blk) HIT LEVEL:H - A streaming projectile that provides horizontal control and will hit from full-screen. It will keep the opponent frozen for a bit longer than the standard Ice Ball. Certain strings can be followed up by Ice Beam when Ice Ball is too slow. Still unsafe.

*Cyro Bomb (any Ice Bomb input +:blk) HIT LEVEL:Unblockable - Releases all 3 bombs (close, medium, far) at the same time. The opponent must jump or teleport, otherwise they will be hit. Definitely not something to waste meter on constantly, but it has its uses.

*Cyber-Slide :)l:r+:bk+:blk) HIT LEVEL:L - Adds an extra hit to the standard Slide and moves slightly faster and farther. 12% damage. This can be used to tack on a percentage point or 2 to the end of a combo, but it isn't really worth it.

*Bangport :)d:l+:fp+:blk) HIT LEVEL:M - A teleport that now has a hit box and will do 8% damage if the opponent is touching Cyber Sub and doesn't block. Don't waste your meter.

*Frozen Parry :)d:l+:bp+:blk) HIT LEVEL: Parries all physical attacks - Works on everything (to my knowledge) and leaves the opponent in a frozen state rather than activating the counter-hit. This grants you a full combo, and can be quite a useful move.

*Powerkick (Close = :d+:fk+:blk, Far = :d+:bk+:blk) HIT LEVEL:M,M,M(overhead) - Most of your non-Breaker meter should be used for this. It hits 3 times and does 18% damage if all 3 kicks hit. The last one is an overhead, so this cannot be crouch blocked. Use this just as you would use the Dive Kick when you want a little bit more damage.

Cyber Sub-Zero's :x:
Cyber Sub's X-Ray must be activated in the air, and comes out basically like a Dive Kick. Has armor like all other X-Rays and does 36% when done on its own.

Wake Up Attacks:
Only Slide has invincible start-up when done as a Wake Up attack, but both Parry and Teleport can be viable options if used correctly. Using Parry on Wake Up can make your opponent think twice about maintaining pressure. If your opponent likes to use projectiles after a knock down, you can use Teleport to escape.

STRATEGY:

:fk:fk:bp and :fk:bk:
This is your basic 50/50 mix-up game and the keystone tactic to your rushdown approach. Use :fk:fk:bp to teach your opponent to block low, and once they get used to it, hit them with :fk:bk. The opponent is forced to guess because both strings start with :fk. Sometimes fuzzy guarding can negate this, however, which is unfortunate.

Dive Kicks:
Learn to aim low when using Dive Kicks, and then use them often. Punish opponents who throw projectiles or make a mistake, and punish them every time. Also, use it immediately whenever you land a jumping kick. Force you're opponent to be on his/her toes at all times, and use that to your advantage to get your rushdown game going.

Repeating Strings:
Strings such as :bp:fp can be repeated to keep pressure on the opponent. This works especially well if you first condition your opponent to block the full string :)bp:fp:fp+:bp). Repeat :bp:fp a few times, do the full string sometimes, go for a throw, just make your opponent guess all match long. This string in particular cannot be escaped by ducking either, so use that to your advantage.

Ice Parry:
You can use the Parry in a few unique ways. First and foremost, you can end certain strings with it to either make them more safe or to punish opponents who like to hit buttons right after a blocked string. Not quite as good as Ice Clone, but still something to keep in mind. Also, the Parry comes out pretty much instantly, so you can activate it on reaction to obvious moves (like jump-in punches and normals that are slow to come out). Another tactic that seems to work a lot is using the Parry right after a Teleport. A lot of opponents know that Cyber Sub's Teleport can be punished, so appear on the other side with a Parry and let them try to punish you.

Dash Cancelling:
Cyber Sub can cancel his dashes directly into other dashes, making him very quick on the ground. This works going both forward and backward. This is a unique ability that you should take advantage of.

2-Meter Trap:
Doing the enhanced Bombs directly followed by the enhanced Ice Beam creates a trap that only teleporters will escape. If the opponent remains grounded, the bombs will freeze them, and if they jump, they will be caught by the Ice Beam. Obviously not something to use as a general tactic, but if you really need to close out an opponent and you have the meter to spare, it can come in handy. Also, you must make sure you are close enough to the corner before employing this trap, because otherwise the opponent can escape the bombs by moving backwards and then block the Ice Beam.

Optimal Spacing:
If Cyber-Sub is facing a zoning opponent, it is best to be around half-screen distance away, in perfect Dive Kick range. If the opponent has little to no zoning tools, you should be rushing down and keeping the pressure on.

COMBOS:

Standard Combos (midscreen):
1. :fk:bk, (you cannot cancel, wait until after the :bk hits), Slide [20%]

2. :fk:fk:bp, (do not cancel, wait until after the :bp hits), Slide [21%]

3. :bp:fp:fp+:bp, jump-forward :fk/:bk~Dive Kick [23%]

4. :bp:fp~Ice Ball, jump-in :fp/:bp~:bp:fp:fp+:bp, jump-forward :fk/:bk~Dive Kick [32%]

5. :bp:fp~Ice Ball, jump-in :fp/:bp~:bp:fp:fp+:bp~dash~:bp:fp, :l+:bp:bp~Slide [37%]

6. :bp:fp~Ice Ball, jump-in :fp/:bp~:bp:fp:fp+:bp~dash~:fp:fp:fp~Slide [38%]

7. :bp:fp~Ice Ball, jump-in :fp/:bp~:bp:fp:fp+:bp~dash~:u:bk~Slide [40%]

8. :bp:fp~Ice Ball, jump-in :fp/:bp~:bp:fp:fp+:bp~dash~dash~:bp:fp:fp+:bp, :l+:bp:bp~Slide [42%]

9. Close Ice Bomb, :fk:bk, Slide [26%]

10. Close Ice Bomb, :fp(whiff):fp(whiff):fp+:bp~dash~:bp:fp, :l+:bp:bp~Slide [32%]

11. Ice Ball (or enhanced Parry), :bp:fp:fp+:bp~dash~:u:bk~Slide [32%]

Standard Combos (corner):
1. :fk:bk, :fk:bk, :fk:bk, :fk:fk~Slide [36%]

2. :bp:fp~Ice Ball, step back, jump-in :fp/:bp~:fk:bk, :bp:fp:fp+:bp, :fk:bk,:fk:fk~Slide [45%]

3. :bp:fp~Ice Ball, jump-in :fp/:bp~:bp:fp:fp+:bp, jump back :fk/:bk, :fk:bk, :fk, :bk~Slide [46%]

:x Combos:
1. :bp:fp~Ice Ball, jump-in :fp/:bp~:bp:fp:fp+:bp, jump forward :fk/:bk~:x [52%]

2. (corner) :bp:fp~Ice Ball, step back, jump-in :fp/:bp~:bp:fp:fp+:bp, neutral jump :fp/:bp, jump back :fk/:bk, :x [56%]

3. (corner) :bp:fp~Ice Ball, step back, jump-in :fp/:bp~:bp:fp:fp+:bp, jump back :bk, :bp:fp:fp+:bp, jump back :fk, :x [58%]

Credit goes to Tyler Lantern, -M-, knoterror, Nameer, EX Testament and Saviorself for various combos.

Wow nice guide. Great work! Only thing I would consider would be maybe adding the b+2, 2 string to the list of notable normals. Good way to get in with lots of range.

Oh also another combo you might want to consider adding...

fk, bk, dash, b+2 2, slide. Does like 26 or 27% i think.

Saviorself

Noob Saibot
nice guide!

edit: are u 100% 3,4 is safe?

it seems like ive been punished using it randomly, needs more testing.

also regular ice parry does counter throws

nice guide!

edit: are u 100% 3,4 is safe?

it seems like ive been punished using it randomly, needs more testing.

also regular ice parry does counter throws
Yea, it's hard to know for certain if its completely safe without a better practice mode and/or frame data. I was just going on the premise that I've never been punished after a 3,4. And I honestly didn't think Parry countered throws. That's interesting.

Excellent! Thank you, this is one of the most in depth guides I've seen on the site. I dropped Cyber after a while for Reptile, I'm definitely picking this guy up again. I'm just not sure which is my main... Slow Force Balls are my favorite move ever. But so are Dive Kicks. D:

mingzang

Master of Disaster
I really love your 2 metter trap . I remember REO used it at some tournaments .

BTW , 2-1-2+1 is safe , right ???

yeah that trap is nasty, I was messing around in training and if they stay on the ground and get bomb frozen I can usually get 39% with up+4, slide. 42% (maybe 41% I forget) with the 3rd bar for Eslide. Anyone got any others for that trap?

After a midscreen 34, you can dash and immediately do b22 xx slide for an extra 5 or 6%.

Cyber Sub's 2 is great for pressure. If you just do 2 wait 2 wait 2, it can be very frustrating for the opponent.

Ice Parry seems ridiculous. It can parry Striker's roll baton on reaction, and I think I've had it randomly beat sweeps or other low moves before too. The recovery is very quick making it very hard to punish. It's also a great way to avoid guessing between forward throw and back throw.

I actually am starting to like enhanced teleport on wakeup, it seems legit enough to use. Safer than slide.

Cyber Sub's d4 is slow, but his d3 seems good. His uppercut seems decent. Ice parry seems to be his best anti-air, however. It's kinda my answer for everything right now.

Xrays will beat enhanced ice parry.

I noticed that if you use a dedicated throw button I don't get the dash throw problems Tom Brady was talking about.

If I land a midair freeze, what's the best damage other people are doing? I'm assuming it involves a njp. For random njp (say if my opponent was crossing me up) I don't have a good combo followup.

yeah that trap is nasty, I was messing around in training and if they stay on the ground and get bomb frozen I can usually get 39% with up+4, slide. 42% (maybe 41% I forget) with the 3rd bar for Eslide. Anyone got any others for that trap?
Nevermind this, for some reason it only wanted to give 31% damage today. Not sure what I was doing last night.

R2FI

Noob
what combo do you use when you connect a bomb to reach 31%?
they are airborn in this situation, so i have to start with neutral jump punch, then you finish with u+4 xx slide?

what is the most damaging option when you don't have time for the neutral jump? plain jumpkick xx divekick or is there something more?

they are airborn in this situation, so i have to start with neutral jump punch, then you finish with u+4 xx slide?

what is the most damaging option when you don't have time for the neutral jump? plain jumpkick xx divekick or is there something more?
Well, you can always do 3,4,Slide for 26% total damage including the bomb. I'm still messing around with max damage on an airborn frozen opponent. There are so many different possibilities, and I haven't gotten around to trying them all.

If anyone has a combo they think is max or close to max for this situation, that would be great.

If they stay on the ground and the bomb gets them then you can just do an u+4, slide while they are frozen. I don't think it works if they jump and are caught by the beam. Though the neutral jump punch is an idea for being beam frozen since the beam keeps them frozen longer, I'll have to try it later.

Just realized that you can get 39% with the same move but its about positioning and timing. The opponent has to be positioned so that when the bombs explode they are right in between two of them and get hit by the blast from both. It's pretty lucky to make this happen so most of the time all I get is 31%. Also I have been able to neutral jump punch them after being frozen in air by the ice beam but you gotta be hella quick to pull it off.

-M-

Noob
You can get 35% off a bomb with njp dash 3,4, b+2,2, slide. If you get a far bomb to freeze them you have enough time to teleport over then njp before they unfreeze if you don't waste time.

-M-

Noob
Depends when you hit them with the beam, it doesn't leave them frozen in the air for too long, so really tight timing for the port jump punch, though only results in 27% at that point, will mess around with beam stuff a bit later to see what can be got, unfortunately I can't test against people so it's a bit difficult to test some things well.