What's new

Growing the FGC Audience

Not at home right now so I'll spare you my wall of text... for now. But I did stumble on to this. Thoughts? It seems like a hard swing and a miss but the rationale was good. Given what it actually does in the dynamic of most fighters. Especially ones that are 2D. However certain games have already begun to break things down to a more fundamental level. This isn't the 90s of Fighters.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole

Not at home right now so I'll spare you my wall of text... for now. But I did stumble on to this. Thoughts? It seems like a hard swing and a miss but the rationale was good. Given what it actually does in the dynamic of most fighters. Especially ones that are 2D. However certain games have already begun to break things down to a more fundamental level. This isn't the 90s of Fighters.
More and more fighters seem to be getting a clue, and including deeper tutorials and training. Plus, you don't have to go very far online to get endless breakdowns and wallthroughs. Good times, indeed

Titanman_88

Adamantium Addiction
I will take this opportunity to thank those who stream and upload videos on MUs and frame data for us up and coming players. Those were a big part of learning how to play fighting games

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
The idea he purposes is just.... No.

I think the best way to make fighting games more accessible is make them less intricate because eventually even games like Divekick get to the point where there is a great metagame.

Not all have to be less intricate but if a few really popular IPs introduce new fighting gamers, then awesome.

Last edited:

BlastX21

Noob
I think a lot of the issue is just how much time it takes to learn how to play at a high level. I remember that learning my first semi-optimal combo took hours. Although it gets easier over time, the first few combos always take a really long time to master. At its not like practicing them is a particularly fun thing to do. Then, you have to learn all of the viable tech for the entire cast.

One reason why FPS games are so popular is that they only take a few minutes to learn. But most gamers don't have the motivation/attention span to put in the hours and hours necessary to be a high-level FG player.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I think it would be awesome to use some of the suggestions he puts forth, in fact I'd say NRS has done much to move that way with their konquest and challenge tower type modes, but of course there is always more that could be done.

That being said (and this is kind of sad to say), I don't think many in the FGC would be on board with this concept just because...well, many see any dilution of certain FGs as a bad thing.

I remember when KI was about to come out and people were SO upset about how they were changing the systems and moves to be more "user friendly", people flipped because they were taking out "qtr cir back, half cir forward moves out, and replacing them with simpler commands. Dive kick followed a similar path, and though it may be fun, many still hate on it just cause.

Many in the FGC seem to see the high barrier of entry as a right of passage, or a testament of skill, and somehow forget that the real test of skill is that high-level chess match that the video was talking about. Ed Boon has said it many times in interviews, that he want his games to be accessible, but I think many gamers in general just don't want to hear that.

Remember back when players were getting on MK9 for its supers being 2 button presses rather that some elaborate commands? Hating on it for being "easy"? To that I say more emphasis should always be on teaching the philosophy of the game and how to approach a fight, and less on creating some interface that only makes the game arbitrarily tough.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
The problem isn't fighting games, their campaigns, or their tutorials. The problem is that most people just don't give enough fucks to level up their game. Most people who play video games are casuals who jump from one flavor of the month to the next. Have you ever had one of your casual friends over to play a fighting game? I have. 9 times out of 10 they'll think doing a hadouken is too hard and go back to frantically mashing buttons. There's nothing to reach out to or deconstruct for. It doesn't matter how much you dumb down the tutorials, they'll be playing a different game in 2 weeks anyway. They don't care about getting better, they just want to have mindless fun.

Even then, lots of people who do play fighting games regularly still hold scrubby mentalities like "SPAMMING IS CHEATING STOP BLOCK SPAMMING PUSSY". People who want to level up will do so of their own motivation. It's the attitude of the player that matters, not the tutorial of a fighting game. The only "problem" with fighting games is shitty netcode and busted characters.