What's new

grabs beating pokes! game design or bug?

i can't say i like this new design for grabs but i m happy that is not a bug. now lets start grabbing every body and looking for moves with anti grab properties

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
as you guys know grabs are high but for some reason in mkx they will grab your pokes. this never happen in mk9 but in mkx d1, d2, d3 and even d4 get grag in mid animation by a regular grab. it maybe that the character move their hurtbox higher as they do a poke and this is why the grab gets them but i have never seen someone getting hit by a high attack as they try to poke.

i was just wondering what others think about this.... could this be a bug or this is a new design for grabs in mk games ?

if this is a new design for grabs then grabs just got much better lol i mean they were already very good in mk9 because of the window to tech them and the 50/50 to do so. and now in mkx the window to tech them is smaller the 50/50 it is still there and now grabs can grab you out of your poke animation as well.
Happens to me ALL the time using predators d4/d1. It makes me mad as shit. Throws are insane in this game. Tough to break, beat pokes, and can be MB for reset.

Last edited:

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Go to the lab with ai Mileena. Stand half to 3/4 screen away and record mileena rolling.

Press Throw.

GG's NRS lol
Kinda like how Balrog can be thrown out of dash/turn punches? Or in Tekken when throws beat out Electrics? I'm not sure why people are so baffled by a mechanic that exists in most fighting games. I think Virtua Fighter is the only fighting game where strike will always beat throw.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
i can't say i like this new design for grabs but i m happy that is not a bug. now lets start grabbing every body and looking for moves with anti grab properties
You don't get grabbed if you jumped. All you need is that one (?) frame to go airborne and the grab will whiff and you can punish with a jump attack.

Reactions: GAV

haketh

Noob
...because good fighting games stay good by pushing depth and realism rather than succumbing to limitations old tech put on old games and thusly into the minds of those that played them as to what a fighting game should be.
Shut up

vicious1024

Does it matter?
This only works because you're extending your hurtbox into your oponent's grab range before the active frames of your normal.

If your active frames trade with your opponent's grab, you'll fall down without being grabbed (still taking the small percentage of initial damage done by throws).

Last edited:

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Kinda like how Balrog can be thrown out of dash/turn punches? Or in Tekken when throws beat out Electrics? I'm not sure why people are so baffled by a mechanic that exists in most fighting games. I think Virtua Fighter is the only fighting game where strike will always beat throw.
Oh I understand why it happens, i'm not baffled by it at all, trust me. It's been known for a while. I just think it looks hilarious. Here is this rolling vixen coming for your shins and then, NOPE instant straight standing chick being thrown lol.

Yeah, this has happened to me a lot even when using Uppercuts. The thing is, if you crouch for a frame or two before hitting the attack button you'll always beat the throw. Visually you can't really tell the difference, but if you hit D+1,2,3,4 at the same time you will get grabbed.

Lol, well to be fair, Balrog is charging at you from a standing position, and electrics come out of crouch almost immediately anyway. Rolls and Slides being grabbed just looks wrong, that's all.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Throws are 'special highs' if any of you are familiar with Tekken terminology. They are highs but have a hitbox that extends downward so if a character's low poke doesn't low profile very well you can still get thrown out of it.

If you know a throw is coming, it's best just do a raw duck and full combo punish. This throw system is very similar to old school Tekken-style throw system. It's nothing new and there's nothing 'broken' about it.
Except you could react to tekken throws instead of a the 50/50 throw animation. And even tekken toned down throws. Can you grab crouching normals in tekken now?

As for TAP, the attack is in the actual punch. That's why a lot of stuff gets thrown out of startup. Idk if ny SF games get regular grabbed during active frames. SPDs being a whole different beast and all. Idk how mileena's stuff works but it seems odd if it would work exactly like TAP. The system in MK is understandable but definitely has it's quirks. I think that's where most of the commotion is.

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
Most of the world isn't in to martial arts so that's why games pull that ( grabbing your opponent while they're attacking ) b.s in fighting games. Lol i'd love the see anyone attempt to grab a guy by the shoulders while he's throwing out a punch or a kick, lol it would have a completely different outcome then these fighting games portray unless the art is ment to do such things witch only maybe 2 or 3 styles are capable of in this game. It's just a ridiculous flaw in my eyes and cracks me up every time I see it happen. But then again, I guess if a character with no magic or abundance of chi can roll up into a ball and spin in one spot for 3+ sec lol... nothing is impossible
Yeah cause Ronda Rousey's Judo hasn't come into play whatsoever in her fights.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Except you could react to tekken throws instead of a the 50/50 throw animation. And even tekken toned down throws. Can you grab crouching normals in tekken now?

As for TAP, the attack is in the actual punch. That's why a lot of stuff gets thrown out of startup. Idk if ny SF games get regular grabbed during active frames. SPDs being a whole different beast and all. Idk how mileena's stuff works but it seems odd if it would work exactly like TAP. The system in MK is understandable but definitely has it's quirks. I think that's where most of the commotion is.
Actually in TTT1 there were 3 different throw animations, so it was worse and 50/50. There was also no crush system, and a shorter window to break so breaking them on reaction was extremely difficult. Throws were a lot of characters main means of offense and were far better in that game than MK9 or MKX. So I have no sympathy for how people complain about breaking throws in NRS games.

Throws being toned down in Tekken many wouldn't consider a good thing. No you can't grab crouching normals now because of the crush system. Please be my guest and ask Tekken veterans what they think about the crush system.

I'm not sure what the acronym of 'TAP' is so I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. But just judging for your example, you can totally be thrown during the startup animation of your attacks in like every SF game I can think of. I might be misinterpreting your point so if so feel free to elaborate.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Actually in TTT1 there were 3 different throw animations, so it was worse and 50/50. There was also no crush system, and a shorter window to break so breaking them on reaction was extremely difficult. Throws were a lot of characters main means of offense and were far better in that game than MK9 or MKX. So I have no sympathy for how people complain about breaking throws in NRS games.

Throws being toned down in Tekken many wouldn't consider a good thing. No you can't grab crouching normals now because of the crush system. Please be my guest and ask Tekken veterans what they think about the crush system.

I'm not sure what the acronym of 'TAP' is so I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. But just judging for your example, you can totally be thrown during the startup animation of your attacks in like every SF game I can think of. I might be misinterpreting your point so if so feel free to elaborate.
yeah, startup and active frames are different things, just like in this game so you can throw them out of startup frames in SF.

MrSoloLobo

I have a keen eye for all things broken.
Yeah I gave up trying to low profile when I read a grab attempt is coming. I just crouch now I guess.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.

Personally I liked the 1, 2 or 1+2 breaks for regular grabs in tekken, even though I never mastered that. Glad they kept them for command grabs. Was more of a point on doing away with things that aren't necessary. Idk how short the window was in TTT1 but I think they could find a sweet spot somewhere. Heck people still got thrown in T6 and TTT2 so it didn't seem like the tech window was too big. As for the crush system, I like it and always thought you could duck throws since tekken 2. However I am by no means an expert. Just a slightly knowledgeable casual lol. I'm sure there are vets that dislike the changes as with every fighter it seems.

I don't think you could implement tekken throws in a 2d game unless you made very specific differences. The only thing that comes close in my mind are purple breaks in BB and those aren't really the same.

For TAP statement. I was talking about balrog's Turn Around Punch. He isn't active the whole time like what seems to be the case for mileena's roll. My point was that I don't see why the active frames of those two moves would be similar when they seem to function differently. Which is also why I said how the MK system is understandable but definitely has it's quirks.

(You must be old school with that "no sympathy" mentality lol. You guys grew up ruthless.);)

Good, as I've continually said in all throw threads, I'm fucking glad that for goddamned once throws don't blow ass in an nrs game. Throw immunity was such moronic garbage. I'm glad that even if NRS still can't make a solid grappler character to save their lives, at least regular throws don't suck.