What's new

GOTCHA! - The Jax Match-Up Thread

AGUSTIN

Noob
I recently picked up Jax because IMO I think he's fun to play.
That and I was just getting bored playing just Raiden. Anyways, I did'nt see a Match-Up Thread around so I figured I would start one.

I've been having a lot of success using Jax against Reptile. I think it's 6-4 in Reptile's favor. But Jax has the tools to beat him. Dash punch beats his elbow dash, so Reptile players have to be cautious using it as a wake-up move. So that just leaves Reptile players to either wake-up slide, which is really risky, or just stand up. If yall both throw out fireballs at the same time, Jax wins the fireball war damage wise. If they try to zone you, just be patient. The occasional ground pound may surprise them too.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
Against Kung Lao I just stay away until they teleport and if you time it right, before they can do anything you can get them with a gotcha grab or air gotcha grab and when they do their jump kick you can block it and punish it with a combo

AGUSTIN

Noob
Any tips against Ermac and Sindel?
I think you can punish Ermacs push slam with dash punch, but I'm not 100% sure.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Vs Reptile, Reptile can abuse meaty d4 xx acid hand. There's nothing Jax can do to stop it, really. Also, the lack of a way to get past projectiles outside of dash block HURTS really bad. If it's a 6-4, it's a super hard 6-4. IMO, it's a 7-3.

Hitbox_Tyrant

"R.T.S.D" -Alex Valle
Well i main jax and let me tell you..anything is possible LOL. Jax has mixups like a god and can cancel ground pounds to make opponents flinch. When jax is up close and personal its over pretty much xD

Jade101

Noob
Vs Reptile, Reptile can abuse meaty d4 xx acid hand. There's nothing Jax can do to stop it, really. Also, the lack of a way to get past projectiles outside of dash block HURTS really bad. If it's a 6-4, it's a super hard 6-4. IMO, it's a 7-3.
jax can beat reptile you never played a high level jax, i still think its hard 6-4.

AGUSTIN

Noob
Speaking from experience, it really is a hard 6-4.

It's not easy, but it can be done.

THTB

jax can beat reptile you never played a high level jax, i still think its hard 6-4.
I play DC Hustle often enough to know how hard that matchup is for Jax lol. I never said Jax couldn't beat Reptile, though.

tenshox

Noob
It means canceling, you cancel your d4 into acid hand. What happens is, you cancel your recovery frames from d4 into your acid hand move.
Basically you were right; you have to input acid hand after d4 pretty fast.

TWZTID

Noob
the only people i have serious issues with are raiden, nw, & quan chi (only cuz i rarely fight 1)

Sup TWZTID its nas190, man I fought a beast reptile yesterday I couldn't even get near him with my jax. His dash/projectile game just kept me on block way to much. I would love to know how jax can get around this. The few times that I did get in I put some good damage in but its just so easy for Reptile to get away from me and start his projectile/dash routine then do his acid hand combo.

TWZTID

Noob
Sup TWZTID its nas190, man I fought a beast reptile yesterday I couldn't even get near him with my jax. His dash/projectile game just kept me on block way to much. I would love to know how jax can get around this. The few times that I did get in I put some good damage in but its just so easy for Reptile to get away from me and start his projectile/dash routine then do his acid hand combo.
welcome to the site nas, def glad u signed up.

for reptile, i just try my hardest not to jump. i haven't played a HIGH LEVEL reptile but i have played some seriously deadly ones, darkhood88, demonium, acflight...... i know MOST tend to rely on acid balls to set up/zone, so you need to becareful NOT to jump (bad habit for me). most likely , u will see a slow ball followed by a fast ball, so on n so on. some may even throw acid spit after the fast to negate a jump attempt. just try to dash block but watch for slides & shoulder charges. once u get in, it can purdy much be ur match.

TWZTID

Noob
stupid ps3 limitation

just mix high n low attacks with an occasional throw to keep them guessing. BUT at the same time, be weary of slides, shoulders, en versions and x-rays. remember, dash punch is ur bff for punishing. this tends to work for me (i know everyone plays differently). please share any other strats against reptile.

i would also like to add cyber sub to my list...... his freeze parry is so damn fast to activate over n over. another thing i noticed was my low pokes cancelled it out like mkdc but my f4 got me frozen.............. WTF

THTB

Even once you get close, Jax doesn't have nearly as much to work with as Reptile does. Pretty much your only good tools are f413, throw, and overhead smash cancels. If Reptile knocks him down, your only good option is block...everything else just flat-out loses to d4 xx acid hand. Jax just doesn't have the reward for closing distance, even though it's hard as hell for him to do so anyway. Vs Reptile, it REALLY sucks.

TWZTID

Noob
Even once you get close, Jax doesn't have nearly as much to work with as Reptile does. Pretty much your only good tools are f413, throw, and overhead smash cancels. If Reptile knocks him down, your only good option is block...everything else just flat-out loses to d4 xx acid hand. Jax just doesn't have the reward for closing distance, even though it's hard as hell for him to do so anyway. Vs Reptile, it REALLY sucks.
i know its tough.... but i haven't fought a truly high level version. thats wher my inexperience is. :(

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Reptile shouldn't EVER lose to Jax unless the Reptile player is half drunk.

His keepaway alone should make it hard enough to even get close to him. Once close, HE WILL get the first attack, and there lies the problem. He's got some great close up strings and an acid fist to finish off his strings. It's hard.

Jade101

Noob
Thats why he need a lil damage buff also. He just to weak to be a power house! So dumb.

Gotcha

Noob
Sindel-Against sindel DO NOT JUMP (unless your playing a stupid sindel that doesnt know what shes doin) they will Punish you for jumping with fireballs, she will zone and has no reason to go in, if you get in, keep pressure on her with you D1/D3/and my favorite move upclose yo use is his F4xxElbowdrop into Ex Ground pound. Sindel has okay close up game, but your jabs are way better. Just remember to not jump, and get in with dashblock,dashblock.

Reptile-Against a good reptile, you dont really have anything. Its one of those match ups that you just have to play smarter than them and wait for them to mess up and be stupid. Reptile has no problem keeping you out, and when you do get in, hes like (ok well i dont mind being inside, ima just hit you with this acid hand and go back to running) Just keep blockdashing, get in, and try to put pressure on him. If he throws out something unsafe you have to punish.

Nightwolf-Not exactly the same senerio but close to reptile. Hes an all around better charecter than jax. He has an unblockable so you cant just sit around and turtle him, he has a good projectile, and that elbow rush or w/e its called its pretty good, and he can reflect ur projectiles so u cant zone him. Just get in and make him respect your closerange/mid range game.

Any tips on Sub-Zero? He's definitely giving me the most trouble. Clones are definitely giving me a hard time. Jax's projectile is too slow to be an answer, and jumping in gets punished too easily.

Any tips on Sub-Zero? He's definitely giving me the most trouble. Clones are definitely giving me a hard time. Jax's projectile is too slow to be an answer, and jumping in gets punished too easily.
EX Dash Punch has armor(it can go through both Ice Clone/Statue and an Ice Ball/Beam with one use), and since you can choose to throw the opponent in either direction on hit, a successful EX Dash Punch could end up placing him in the corner (Sub-Zero's goal is to corner you). Note that you'll take no damage passing through these attacks. You could also use whiffed Gotcha Grabs to build some meter while Sub-Zero's hiding behind/inside his clone. If you manage to find an opportunity for a throw, you could reverse your positioning relatively easily as well because of the fifth, 24 slam. An Air Gotcha Grab would also switch your positioning, but Sub-Zero probably won't be jumping in, and you'd otherwise have to either 2,f+2,b+1 xx Air Gotcha Grab or Ground Pound into it.

You could also try to use Ground Pounds. Jax does have the tools to deal with all of Sub-Zero's responses with his new dash-cancels, but EX Dash Punch with Gotcha-whiff meter building is much easier and probably better.

Once you're in, try to stay close enough to prevent him from using Ice Clone (unless you want to bait it and EX Dash Punch). You could also counter a "failed" clone (too close to create one) with a standard Dash Punch, though this does move him rather far away on hit. I'd say use jump-ins/jump-overs sparingly due to clone/slide/sword responses, as well.

As far as the Ground Pound idea goes... haven't tried it, and EX Dash Punch seems better, but I'd imagine it'd be something like this:
If a Ground Pound hits him, you might have an opportunity to jump over the clone and dj.4 xx Backbreaker or EX Dash Punch through the clone. It may also be possible to do dj.1 > (dash > 1)x? xx Gotcha Grab instead of dj.4 for a bit more damage. If Sub-Zero's response to Ground Pound's startup is to neutral or back jump, jump over the clone if possible, or cancel into an Energy Wave or EX Dash Punch otherwise. If forward jump is his response to Ground Pound, use uppercut or Air Gotcha Grab, or maybe dj.1/4. If he responds to Ground Pound's startup with a Slide, you can either dash-cancel the ground pound into a crouch-block or a jump to dodge, and perhaps punish. Unfortunately, you can't neutral jump after a dash, so with poor positioning, you might have to either eat the clone or the Slide if you can't time a dj.4 well enough to hit him out of Slide since you can't block immediately after a dash-cancel. If he uses Ice Ball or Beam, either dash into a jump over the clone to dj.4 xx Backbreaker or dash into a crouching state. I think that about covers all the situations with the clone not disappearing... If the clone disappears as you perform or cancel Ground Pound, the options change a bit, but one situation that might be a bit worrying is if he jumps in response and the clone vanishes; he'll be able to make another one in mid-air.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
EX Dash Punch has armor(it can go through both Ice Clone/Statue and an Ice Ball/Beam with one use), and since you can choose to throw the opponent in either direction on hit, a successful EX Dash Punch could end up placing him in the corner (Sub-Zero's goal is to corner you)
you just blew my mind.....ive been maining Jax since the game came out and i didnt know you could choose the direction the EX dash punch goes...i hope its new or else im mad at mysef for not knowing this

you just blew my mind.....ive been maining Jax since the game came out and i didnt know you could choose the direction the EX dash punch goes...i hope its new or else im mad at mysef for not knowing this
Nah, it's been there since day one, I think. I didn't find that out either until a couple weeks ago; there really should have been a note next to it in the move list. It's not too bad midscreen either because the opponent is closer to you afterward (and Jax shouts "Oh yeah!"; that's always great), though the forward version does put the opponent a bit closer to the corner.

So, Sub-Zero clones, and is crouch blocking behind it. What now? I guess try and go for a ground pound, or cancel the ground pound to bait the response?