What's new

General/Other - Goro Goro General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok serious talk. How do you compete as Goro with the top teir characters? He seems to have no answers to anything they do. Scorpion and Kung Lao utterly destroy Goro in all his variations. So i was wondering what, if anything, i was missing?

Agilaz

It has begun
Ok serious talk. How do you compete as Goro with the top teir characters? He seems to have no answers to anything they do. Scorpion and Kung Lao utterly destroy Goro in all his variations. So i was wondering what, if anything, i was missing?
In those cases, you're not missing anything. Scorpion is top 3 and a particularly bad match-up for Goro. Kung Lao is insanely mobile, which also kills the Goro.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
goro > sub-zero and kenshi, one top tier and one alleged top tier

mobility is an issue for every grappler, it's not exclusive to us

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I wouldn't call Goro a grappler in a conventional sense.

His meta isn't around landing his throw. His throw isn't a devastating force, it's just a really good tool.

He has a command grab, but he isn't a grappler.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
goro > sub-zero and kenshi, one top tier and one alleged top tier

mobility is an issue for every grappler, it's not exclusive to us
Agree with Sub. Not so with Kenshi. Not even close I might add.

And I also agree he's not a grappler. Kano/Kahn/FerraTorr are grapplers. They have a strategy into landing throws. Cassie Brawler is a Grappler. Goro has nothing to condition opponents to block the throw reliably. It's more of a tool than a strategy.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Agree with Sub. Not so with Kenshi. Not even close I might add.

And I also agree he's not a grappler. Kano/Kahn/FerraTorr are grapplers. They have a strategy into landing throws. Cassie Brawler is a Grappler. Goro has nothing to condition opponents to block the throw reliably. It's more of a tool than a strategy.
if kotal is a grappler then goro is too

considering you have punchwalk which forces them to block or eat shit off of any poke or block-string, it's a complete 50/50 between a 12-frame mid and a 7-frame unblockable off of any tick-throw, and you've got a whole array of goofy shit to make them respect for absolutely free command grab damage whenever you want it

i hope the goro community realizes that a faster run/walk will mean a slower command grab so he can't just run up and mash shit that you can't react to. fair balance change but a hard decision to make

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.

considering you have punchwalk which forces them to block or eat shit off of any poke or block-string, it's a complete 50/50 between a 12-frame mid and a 7-frame unblockable off of any tick-throw, and you've got a whole array of goofy shit to make them respect for absolutely free command grab damage whenever you want it

i hope the goro community realizes that a faster run/walk will mean a slower command grab so he can't just run up and mash shit that you can't react to. fair balance change but a hard decision to make
No, Kotal has moves that make you block because they hit hard. Goro has no combo starter that makes blocking worthwhile. The opponent should just poke all day. His only starter is a short range jab. Kotal has mid range moves that make you block. In other fighters, throws are stupid strong with good range. Goro's isn't. And in those same fighters, if I'm a grappler, I have pokes/combos that hit harder than the throw. Look at SF, Blazblue, KI, etc. Goro is just bleh. He's just a brawler.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
No, Kotal has moves that make you block because they hit hard. Goro has no combo starter that makes blocking worthwhile. The opponent should just poke all day. His only starter is a short range jab. Kotal has mid range moves that make you block. In other fighters, throws are stupid strong with good range. Goro's isn't. And in those same fighters, if I'm a grappler, I have pokes/combos that hit harder than the throw. Look at SF, Blazblue, KI, etc. Goro is just bleh. He's just a brawler.
That's not exactly why Sun God is a grappler and Goro isn't.

Calling Goro a grappler would be like calling Erron Black a grappler. They both have command grabs in their toolbox but they are just that. Tools.

With Sun God, Commando, and non-Slasher Jason your entire game revolves around getting in to land the command grab or combo into it for big damage and/or set-ups. Just like Zang, or Grundy, or Marduk.

Last edited:

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Goro's command grab has a shit ton of range, even connects farther than the animation tells you it does. Sun God Kotal is just a heavy whiff punisher with a command grab, just like Goro is only a corner-centric mix-up monster with a command grab.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Someone else went into the kotal thread yesterday literally saying that kotal wasn't a grappler. I'm starting to think they might be a myth

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast

goro only gets tick throws off of d1 d3 and b3 IIRC

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Goro has an 8 frame grab on a bunch of +2 normals. That would scare me. Now if it actually gave him oki or decent damage I might go poopy.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I was under the impression that +30-35% bnbs were standard for a majority of the cast, and 38-40% one bar combos in the corner were quite decent as well.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I was under the impression that +30-35% bnbs were standard for a majority of the cast, and 38-40% one bar combos in the corner were quite decent as well.
for that matter i learned today that goro gets 41% midscreen for a bar in fangs

It might not turn out to be a useless variation after all

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
After playing a couple games against Goro as Pyro Tanya, this feels really rough for him he can't catch her for shit. what do you guys think about it.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
A slower command grab could be a buff if it allowed him to tick it from one of his strings. Would probably make it easier to time it with Flame Breath as well.

Wish Shokan Grab did a little more damage. Shokan Stabs does 16% where regular Shokan Grab does 14%. Who remembers his Shokan Grab from MK1? Shit would take like 25% health lol

RYX

BIG PUSHER
i think his grab is great as is, 7 frames and does fair damage at the cost of oki

would rather see his projectiles made a little better to diversify him

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
his projectiles work well enough in my opinion, and "at the cost of oki" only works until you get corner. Then it's 7f, fair damage, and opponent gets fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.