What's new

Good Games For XboxOne?

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
I was recently given an XboxOne by a friend - long story short, it was thrown away because the previous owner didn't think to check the cables and here it turns out all it needed was a power cable so once I go grab that and a controller, I'll be looking to get some games.

I most definitely will buy Killer Instinct since i still haven't gotten a chance to play it but the original 2 were some of my favorite games, but I'm not exactly ready to jump for Neanderthal Realm Studios' most recent games, honestly and am still on the fence about SFV.

What are some of the other sick games i should check out? If it helps, my favorite NON-FG franchises are Castlevania, Devil May Cry, God of War, and games along those lines but i never get tired of the classics either, for example i been playing Symphony of the Night this past week and fired up the SNES with my neighbor a week or two ago for Super Mario World :)

Hit me with some ideas and suggestions and i was also wondering if there's any other important things i should know about the system itself for 1st-time users that will make transition easier, like just navigating the Home menu and setting things up, necessary accessories, blah blah blah.

THANKS

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I doubt that is true but, let's go a step further and i ask what can i Cross-play besides MK-d+11?
With Halo and the Xbox being the games that got me into gaming to begin with, I wish the Halo games from 2010 and earlier being the best exclusive games of the console wasn't true man. You can cross play COD Modern Warfare.

Zviko

Noob
Just read through this thread and I bet you'll find something amazing.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Just read through this thread and I bet you'll find something amazing.
Lol Wow I read the thread and forgot it existed. Are there other games that are Xbox exclusive? Also I'm just looking for good games in general, exclusive really means nothing to me, honestly.
With Halo and the Xbox being the games that got me into gaming to begin with, I wish the Halo games from 2010 and earlier being the best exclusive games of the console wasn't true man. You can cross play COD Modern Warfare.
Most are shocked that I'm not into Halo but I'm actually just not into FPS games at all. I prefer 3rd-Person Melee and Side-Scrollers. Flying, shooting, racing just doesn't do anything for me.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I bought an XB1 at launch and sold it a few years later. The only game I miss is Sunset Overdrive. That shit was the truth and definitely worth checking out. I'm pretty sure it's apart of Gamepass, so you can try it out cheap

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
If you're going to play Killer Instinct, check out:

https://ki.infil.net/

Absolutely, without question THE most complete guide for any fighting game available for free on the internet. It's fucking incredible.

If you're home for the time being like many people are, I can't recommend GamePass enough. Lots of great games on there (including Killer Instinct), and it's only $4.99 extra a month if you're already an Xbox Live member.

People shit on the Xbox, but it's honestly become a great system over the years with the whole backwards compatibility, GamePass etc. I have an Xbox One and a PS4 and I really only use the PS4 for the awesome exclusives they've released. PS Now or whatever they call it is fucking trash.

@AREZ God of War What model of Xbox One is it? The original, an "S," or an "X?"

The Xbox One was a very poor product at launch and for years, but after Phil Spencer really got going, the brand started to turn around. It was a competent platform by 2016, and the Xbox One X is a fantastic console and the best one (in my opinion) on the market right now. Most third party games will look, play, and perform better on Xbox One X because it's hardware is excellent. Note I'm not bashing on the PlayStation brand of consoles, I'm not a platform elitist, simply stating a fact.

What the Xbox brand is not big on this generation, however, is exclusives. Most of their games are available on PC as well as their console. Their big exclusive franchises are, in no particular order: Halo, Gears of War, Forza, Sea of Thieves, Killer Instinct, State of Decay, and I guess Sunset Overdrive.

I agree with @Dankster Morgan , the best exclusive titles on the platform are Killer Instinct (by far, it's fantastic and hugely underrated), and Halo: The Master Chief Collection, which of course is a remaster of last generation games! Both are available on PC as well, and in-fact, Killer Instinct is part of the Xbox Play Anywhere program and features cross play between Xbox One and Windows 10, and for certain game modes, the Steam version.

The style of games you mentioned aren't as dominant on the Xbox One platform. I suppose the Tomb Raider reboot trilogy might be up you alley.

@John Grizzly 's suggestion of getting an Xbox Game Pass membership is spot on. For a small fee, you'll be able to sample a host of exclusive and cross platform titles alike. You can then buy the ones you want at a discount with Game Pass, and cancel your subscription (since the costs add up over time more than the cost of the games you'd be playing. Think of Game Pass like a rental or preview service).

So to recap and add a few additions, an Xbox One, specifically an Xbox One X's strengths are:

• The most powerful console hardware on the market. It outputs in native 4K in most cases, and will super sample down for those playing on lower resolutions.
  • The majority of third party titles perform better on an Xbox One X (but not an Xbox One S or original Xbox One)
  • Any game you purchase will work on future Xbox model consoles; superb backwards compatibility
  • Any first party title you purchase will be part of Smart Stream for Xbox Series X, meaning if there's an enhanced version for the new console, you'll get that at no extra charge. Third party developers can do this optionally if they wish.
  • With Xbox Play Anywhere, and streaming to PC, it makes an excellent companion platform to PC gaming.
  • Xbox Game Pass is the premier gaming subscription service
  • Xbox LIVE is still a robust and stable online platform
  • Microsoft continually pushes for crossplay opportunities. Sony is more resistant to crossplay. Nintendo seems to take a middle ground.
  • An Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc player is standard on the "S" and "X" model consoles.
The major cons:

• Lack of exclusives
  • An Xbox One base console and Xbox One S are the weakest consoles of the generation. 3rd party titles will perform better on Playstation 4 consoles.
  • The D-Pad is vastly improved over the Xbox 360's for fighting games, but still severly lacking. You'll want to pick up a Hori Fighting Commander for Xbox One.
Enjoy the platform!

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
Oxenfree- my favorite game the best multiple story ending game of all time and VERY SUSPENSEFUL
Can't go wrong with halo mcc
Onrush
Apex Legends-another favorite
Doom Eternal
Crash team racing nitro fueled
Redout
EVERY LEGO GAME
Ark Survival evolved
Minecraft - if you don't atleast play this every now and then, you need help (Joking but still)
Forza moto7/Horizon 4
Killer instinct
Hyper Jam
Speed Runners
Gang beasts
Human Fall FlatSoul calibur 6
tekken 7
Fibbage
Jackbox party pack1-current
Trackmania turbo
Alien Isolation SCARY JUMPSCARES
FNAF 1-4 IS NOW ON CONSOLE AND I STILL GET FREAKED DESPITE PLAYNG FNAF SINCE RELEASED (Bigger Screens suck with jump scares)
Rocket league
Brawlhalla
Shellshocked
Treadnaughts
Gears 5
Dead by daylight
Overwatch
Nba 2k20 is hilarious casually playing
Mantis Burn racing
Call of Cthulhu- Like oxen free is story driven, mulriple endings and choices to affect story
RWBY: GRIM ECLIPSE
AMONG THE SLEEP
Plants vs zombies battle for neighborville
halo wars 2
Jurassic world evolution
Mk vs atv all out
GOAT SIMULATOR...YOU WILL LAUGH

yes i play 99% of these and and have the rest laying because i don't have space on my xbox one x

If I had to pick only 3, Killer instict, Oxen free, andeither the fnafs or HALO MCC

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
There really isn’t very many games that are exclusive these days. Most games are multi platform.

But, I definitely recommend Cuphead. It’s an amazing game on XB1. (Idk if it’s exclusive tbh)

But in general, here are some great games you can get on XB1 that I recommend.

Sekiro
CoD MW: Warzone (It’s a Battle Royale game but it’s free)
Dark Souls 3
Code Vein
Dragon Age Inquisition
DmC5

And many more. I’ll add more later

kantboy-2

Ripper
I was writing a lengthy post, but all of it just got covered.

Xbox is my console because of MKX and backwards-compat. I hadn't owned a console since the DC, so getting all the major 360 games available is a plus.

Best thing about 3rd party games on Xbox is that they're always cheaper and easier to find. I haven't had a bad experience with them and I own a base console.

These games are great and most important, cheap as heck on XB1;

Sunset Overdrive
Tomb Raider
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Witcher III: CE
Mega Man 11
Shadow of War: DE
XCOM 2 Collection
Gears of War 4
Rare Replay
Mad Max
Metal Gear Solid V:DE
DmC
Rayman Legends

If you want to go 360 or OG Xbox, these are fun also;

Pirates!
Crimson Skies
Ninja Gaiden
Psychonauts
Panzar Dragoon Orta
Red Dead Redemption
Ninja Gaiden II
Rayman Origins

It's a great console and I'm looking forward to all the enhancements XB1 games will get on the new gen.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
I have an Xbox One X and it is my go-to console. Why you might ask? Because most games are multi-platform. I think out of the many PS4 exclusives I own, for me 10 are outstanding and truly memorable. I'm hard to please. The other games I play are multiplatform games which play and look better on the Xbox One X. But depending on sales, I'll buy and play a game on either console.

Case in point, I have the Darksiders Series spread across both consoles.

Last edited:
There really isn’t very many games that are exclusive these days. Most games are multi platform.
Yup, and while exclusives do sell systems and are reasons to own a specific platform, I find the general state of the games market has moved to more third party/cross platform titles, and exclusives aren't the big thing they used to be.

If someone were going to buy a new console today, I'd personally recommend Xbox One X>PlayStation 4 Pro>Switch. I wouldn't recommend the base model consoles unless the person was on a tight budget. If that were the case, my recommended order would be PlayStation 4>Xbox One S>Switch Lite.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
There are honestly a lot of PS4 exclusives. I don't buy into the whole console war bullshit, play what your friends are on, I own both and think both are incredible systems. I liked my 360 more than my PS3, but I prefer my PS4 over my XB1. They're both very good systems and there is no wrong answer, competition is good and it's obvious that Sony and Microsoft have learned from each other over the years. The reason I slightly prefer the PS4 this gen is just much more quality exclusives. The best XB1 games are 10+ year old Halo games and KI which is a launch title. But then again who knows, maybe the new Halo on the new Xbox will be incredible. PS4 has put out Uncharted 4, God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, just to name the most popular ones. The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima are still coming and will undoubtedly be insane. Gotta give it to PlayStation this time, but don't mean to knock the Xbox, they have the advantage in terms of hardware and I prefer their controller slightly.

Last edited:
There are honestly a lot of PS4 exclusives. I don't buy into the whole console war bullshit, play what your friends are on, I own both and think both are incredible systems. I liked my 360 more than my PS3, but I prefer my PS4 over my XB1. They're both very good systems and there is no wrong answer, competition is good and it's obvious that Sony and Microsoft have learned from each other over the years. The reason I slightly prefer the PS4 this gen is just much more quality exclusives. The best XB1 games are 10+ year old Halo games and KI which is a launch title. But then again who knows, maybe the new Halo on the new Xbox will be incredible. PS4 has put out Uncharted 4, God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, just to name the most popular ones. The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima are skill coming and will undoubtedly be insane. Gotta give it to PlayStation this time, but don't mean to knock the Xbox, they have the advantage in terms of hardware and I prefer their controller slightly.
Interestingly, Halo: Infinite while being a launch title for Xbox Series X, will also release at the same time on Xbox One and PC (and will be part of their Smart Stream program). Microsoft clearly is going a different route than the exclusive one.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Interestingly, Halo: Infinite while being a launch title for Xbox Series X, will also release at the same time on Xbox One and PC (and will be part of their Smart Stream program). Microsoft clearly is going a different route than the exclusive one.
To their detriment in my opinion. At this point if I want to play Halo, I will build a PC and enjoy it at it's best. But if I want to play God of War for example, I NEED a PS4. Much smarter business wise to me.

To their detriment in my opinion. At this point if I want to play Halo, I will build a PC and enjoy it at it's best. But if I want to play God of War for example, I NEED a PS4. Much smarter business wise to me.
I used to think that as well, but now I disagree and here's why: I see that kind of business decision as limiting in multiple ways: 1) You're limiting your customer base because not everyone will buy your platform for your exclusive games, 2) the ability to take my progress from device to device is insanely convenient and, honestly, desirable.

I have no intention of getting a PlayStation console; I'm not a fan of Sony's practices with their products, personally. Had they released, say, God of War, The Last of Us, and/or Marvel's Spider-Man on PC, I'd have bought them and played them. Sony would have gotten money from me, instead they get squat.

Microsoft, on the other hand, did. I had no intention of getting an Xbox One console. I got Killer Instinct on PC and loved it. I needed a new media device for my family room as my old Xbox 360 E wasn't cutting it anymore, and so I decided to pick up an Xbox One X because it has the Xbox Play Anywhere program and crossplay between platforms (as well as an Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc drive). I could now play Killer Instinct on my PC with friends (free Multiplayer), and then later hop downstairs to my family room, fire up the Xbox One X, and pick up Single Player exactly where I left off with all my unlocks.

I can be playing Halo: The Master Chief Collection on my Xbox One X, complete a level, go have dinner, and then go and play the next level on my PC!

Smart devices, like iPhones, are making a big deal about being able to look at something on one device, and then pick up where you left off on another device; this is what Microsoft is doing with their Xbox platform, and it's incredibly convenient! Unified App use across devices!

With Smart Stream and their full backwards compatibility support, it looks like they want to continue this with Xbox Series X as well. They also push for crossplay with multiplatform games, which I see as hugely important because crossplay allows a game's community to be unified, not divided. Unlike Sony as well, they have and release the world's most used PC operating system, so it's also desirable for them too have people gaming on PC as well as on console.

I really think Microsoft has the right mentality for the times. We'll see how they perform this coming generation, but I think they'll do very well.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I used to think that as well, but now I disagree and here's why: I see that kind of business decision as limiting in multiple ways: 1) You're limiting your customer base because not everyone will buy your platform for your exclusive games, 2) the ability to take my progress from device to device is insanely convenient and, honestly, desirable.

I have no intention of getting a PlayStation console; I'm not a fan of Sony's practices with their products, personally. Had they released, say, God of War, The Last of Us, and/or Marvel's Spider-Man on PC, I'd have bought them and played them. Sony would have gotten money from me, instead they get squat.

Microsoft, on the other hand, did. I had no intention of getting an Xbox One console. I got Killer Instinct on PC and loved it. I needed a new media device for my family room as my old Xbox 360 E wasn't cutting it anymore, and so I decided to pick up an Xbox One X because it has the Xbox Play Anywhere program and crossplay between platforms (as well as an Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc drive). I could now play Killer Instinct on my PC with friends (free Multiplayer), and then later hop downstairs to my family room, fire up the Xbox One X, and pick up Single Player exactly where I left off with all my unlocks.

I can be playing Halo: The Master Chief Collection on my Xbox One X, complete a level, go have dinner, and then go and play the next level on my PC!

Smart devices, like iPhones, are making a big deal about being able to look at something on one device, and then pick up where you left off on another device; this is what Microsoft is doing with their Xbox platform, and it's incredibly convenient! Unified App use across devices!

With Smart Stream and their full backwards compatibility support, it looks like they want to continue this with Xbox Series X as well. They also push for crossplay with multiplatform games, which I see as hugely important because crossplay allows a game's community to be unified, not divided. Unlike Sony as well, they have and release the world's most used PC operating system, so it's also desirable for them too have people gaming on PC as well as on console.

I really think Microsoft has the right mentality for the times. We'll see how they perform this coming generation, but I think they'll do very well.
I think they both cater well to their customers. You make good points, but the thing is, those PS4 exclusives do sell well and do sell consoles. What I'm saying is the ONLY advantage consoles have over PC is exclusives, as PCs are vastly superior in every other aspect. Getting rid of exclusives just turns your console into an extremely weak PC and gets rid of anything that made it special and gave it identity. Sure, Sony coulda got 60 bucks from you if their games were on PC, but they are actually still selling systems based on their vastly superior exclusive lineup The year 2018 was when it really hit me. Red Dead 2 was my favorite game that year, it is on both platforms. Most of my friends are on Xbox and I played it on PS4, but 2018 also had God of War and Spider-Man for PS4. My friends were so bummed that all they got was POS Sea of Thieves. I was gonna get Modern Warfare for Xbox to play with my friends.... but then Infinity Ward gave it crossplay, so my Xbox will remain with nothing but Master Chief Collection in the disc drive as per always.

I think they both cater well to their customers. You make good points, but the thing is, those PS4 exclusives do sell well and do sell consoles. What I'm saying is the ONLY advantage consoles have over PC is exclusives, as PCs are vastly superior in every other aspect. Getting rid of exclusives just turns your console into an extremely weak PC and gets rid of anything that made it special and gave it identity. Sure, Sony coulda got 60 bucks from you if their games were on PC, but they are actually still selling systems based on their vastly superior exclusive lineup The year 2018 was when it really hit me. Red Dead 2 was my favorite game that year, it is on both platforms. Most of my friends are on Xbox and I played it on PS4, but 2018 also had God of War and Spider-Man for PS4. My friends were so bummed that all they got was POS Sea of Thieves. I was gonna get Modern Warfare for Xbox to play with my friends.... but then Infinity Ward gave it crossplay, so my Xbox will remain with nothing but Master Chief Collection in the disc drive as per always.
Good points as well. What is great overall is that there is choice for the consumer to go with what suits them best.

In terms of PCs and consoles and the advantages of, consoles actually do have advantages over a PC, and I say this as a gamer who's primary platform is PC.

• A unified platform and hardware, making it much easier to develop for and optimize
  • A unified, first party Multiplayer network
  • No set up or driver tweaks of a game is needed, you simply install and play
  • Cheaper entry cost
  • Standardized input device to develop for
  • Generally is more convenient, and aesthetically pleasing, in a family room/living room set up (this isn't an issue when you're younger, but when you have a significant other/spouse and have a proper place together, there's a good chance she won't let you have a clunky PC tower on the living room TV)
That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
There are honestly a lot of PS4 exclusives. I don't buy into the whole console war bullshit, play what your friends are on, I own both and think both are incredible systems. I liked my 360 more than my PS3, but I prefer my PS4 over my XB1. They're both very good systems and there is no wrong answer, competition is good and it's obvious that Sony and Microsoft have learned from each other over the years. The reason I slightly prefer the PS4 this gen is just much more quality exclusives. The best XB1 games are 10+ year old Halo games and KI which is a launch title. But then again who knows, maybe the new Halo on the new Xbox will be incredible. PS4 has put out Uncharted 4, God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, just to name the most popular ones. The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima are still coming and will undoubtedly be insane. Gotta give it to PlayStation this time, but don't mean to knock the Xbox, they have the advantage in terms of hardware and I prefer their controller slightly.
I think the console war stuff is lame as well. I own all systems too. But for perspective, I haven’t even turned my PS4 on in a year and a half at least. Most games are multi platform. I was gonna get NIOH 2, but meh, I heard it was basically the first one and I had issues with it. Like it got very repetitive and there weren’t enough unique spots and definitely not enough unique and new enemies. Might end up getting it eventually idk.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
So I just hooked everything up, waiting for the online update then i will be trying to setup Xbox Live.... I'm going to be playing MKXL for awhile until I decide to drive the whole 5 miles to Gamestop.

Anyone still play it? Also can i play UMK3 2006 on XboxOne? @Juggs @THTB @mastermalone

So I just hooked everything up, waiting for the online update then i will be trying to setup Xbox Live.... I'm going to be playing MKXL for awhile until I decide to drive the whole 5 miles to Gamestop.

Anyone still play it? Also can i play UMK3 2006 on XboxOne? @Juggs @THTB @mastermalone
You can also a) check out the Xbox Store for digital purchases and b) Subscribe to Gamepass for access to a host of games.

I do still play Mortal Kombat XL, but I don't have an Xbox LIVE subscription, so multiplayer on the platform is out for me, save for local play.