What's new

Good characters for a beginner player?

So I am trying to decide on a character to play and right now I have been playing Cassie Cage and have been reading she is a bit tricky to play in terms of the timings of her combos and may not be the best choice for beginners

I was wondering what you guys thought would be good beginner characters so I can get my muscle memory down and work on my fundamentals with a more forgiving character

I like a lot of the cast thematically so feel free to suggest whoever you think would fit. Thanks

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
Kotal Kahn If you want a character that will teach you the basics of this game but keep you from developing bad habits with regards to zoning: Pick up Jacqui Briggs and use her 1st Round KO setup. Don't worry about feints. Don't worry about getting the throw tech counter. Just focus on cancels into clinch and bionic rush. She's super simple and straight forward, and you can develop a sense for how KBs are SUPPOSED to work once you get comfortable with her strings and cancels and how clinch works (It works well BTW.)

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
Kotal Kahn If you want a character that will teach you the basics of this game but keep you from developing bad habits with regards to zoning: Pick up Jacqui Briggs and use her 1st Round KO setup. Don't worry about feints. Don't worry about getting the throw tech counter. Just focus on cancels into clinch and bionic rush. She's super simple and straight forward, and you can develop a sense for how KBs are SUPPOSED to work once you get comfortable with her strings and cancels and how clinch works (It works well BTW.)
...I think @adamswagem meant beginner as in casual noob lol

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
...I think they mean beginner as in casual noob lol
Yeah. Jacqui is perfect. Her gameplan is braindead, her kombo execution is braindead, her KB gameplay is braindead, it all just flows together. When you get comfortable with Jacqui you don't have to think when you're playing you sort of just assimilate and become Jacqui and it all just kind of works. I'm not saying he needs to know how to string all three of her big KBs together into one combo (Though it's SUPER freaking easy and by the end of the first week a chimpanzee could get it to work probably)

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
Yeah. Jacqui is perfect. Her gameplan is braindead, her kombo execution is braindead, her KB gameplay is braindead, it all just flows together. When you get comfortable with Jacqui you don't have to think when you're playing you sort of just assimilate and become Jacqui and it all just kind of works. I'm not saying he needs to know how to string all three of her big KBs together into one combo (Though it's SUPER freaking easy and by the end of the first week a chimpanzee could get it to work probably)
I know LoL she is amazing in the game.

Sazbak

Noob
Sub-Zero is straightforward
I recommend Dead of Winter variation to stop you from developing bad habits via Slide since it's easy to get into the habit of using Slide as a panic move to completely circumvent neutral.
Dead of Winter also lets you do super easy combos with j2 instead of j3(my j3 execution is not perfect)
so you can do the reset with s2 or b32.
As for a secondary character later I recommend someone who doesn't have a straightforward 50/50 and rely on stagger pressure
so you develop your understanding on neutral/pressure more.
But for starters DoW Sub can net you wins while still doesn't have any 'cheap' move in neutral a.k.a 'fuck neutral' buttons like Reborn Scorpion Teleport.

...I think @adamswagem meant beginner as in casual noob lol
I am definitely a casual noob but id like to get better and stop sucking overall (over time). Thanks to you and everyone else for all the answers so far though. Very quick and very helpful here.

Also as an aside I am pretty sure I set up every character with their 2 tournament variants although I don't think they automatically rename the variants accordingly.

Coming from being super casual in MKX i liked Dvorrah thematically but it seems like everyone says she sucks lol.

Ignore the win/loss ratio. @Vslayer can you link your don't quit if you get bodied thread?
and Dang. I can't practice with ya then i'm on xbox
Oh no worries I had a good time. It just made me realize that I need to like go on here and find some big combos and start memorizing them and getting them down to muscle memory. Thank you for the offer though I appreciate it!

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
Oh no worries I had a good time. It just made me realize that I need to like go on here and find some big combos and start memorizing them and getting them down to muscle memory. Thank you for the offer though I appreciate it!
Combo's aren't too big a worry! ;) I sometime win just with knock down strings
also check out vslayers link AWESOME advice!
and some for your daily life
(thanks again for put'n that in the o.p @Vslayer LoL)

My votes for easy-to-pick-up characters: Baraka, Kabal, Sub-Zero. I think it's best for a beginner to focus on general system mechanics before trying to master a character. The 5 wakeup options are huge, knowing how to do them isnt enough, it requires doing it in training mode quite a bit to get the timing and building muscle memory.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Anyone you enjoy playing.
Just remember that the higher the tier, the more likely the character you pick will change in some way.
I'd avoid characters with safe 50/50s, advancing free-get-in tools and braindead mechanics because if you are a beginner, you want to learn fundamentals not break them.

Sounds dumb since im a beginner but I got pretty comfortable with a fight stick(got it for free from a friend lol) and it was easier for me to go through the tutorials with that over a DS4.

I had a hard time inputting combos in compared to the stick, but the one thing that I have trouble with is down back 3 amplified on Baraka. The one where he stabs them in the gut repeatedly, having to do 1+2 to amplify while also mashing 3 doesn't make sense to me. But I assume everyone here plays with a DS4 or some other kind of pad.