What's new

Ghost of Tsushima

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I suppose character creation could be a thing within reason, the character being a man, Japanese, and looking fairly similar to Jin though is pretty much necessary for the story to make sense is the thing. Idk RDR2 would have been hurt by create a character imo, its not a story about inserting yourself into it, its about what you can take away from Jin's story and how this specific guy interacts with all the vastly different characters around him.
It ain't about self insertion, it's about making someone completely different. That's sort of the point or RP'ing, at least for me. IDK, I mean it's obviously all personal preference. Some people like games where the MC are already all created for you, I rather do it myself. Some games where I loved the MC from the beginning that isn't a problem, but if I don't feel connected to them I just won't feel that pull to continue the story.

I have completely different idea of a RPG. For me a good RPG is a game where your choices affect the story, quests, world and characters and their relationship with you and how they treat you. That's when your "role" you chose to play actually matters and it's not only in your head. Character creation still has very little to no value for that but since everyone makes their own story with their decisions, character creation makes perfect sense.

As for Uncharted and RDR2 and such, they definitely wouldn't be half as iconic if everyone made their own Nathan Drake or Arthur Morgan.
The point is, it WOULD be just as iconic. Change the face but not the VA, usually that's what pulls you in a story: the acting. Obviously it becomes a little precarious when you have two VAs, one for male and one for female, but take ME for example, they did it perfectly imo.

But in RDR2 I loved Arthur from the get-go, I guess it mostly comes down to if you connect with them or not like I mentioned above.

I wouldn't have fallen in love with him if not for Roger Clark. I wouldn't have fallen in love with Ellie if not for Ashley Johnson. I would not have fallen in love with Cassie if not for Ashly Burch in MKX. I wouldn't have fallen in love with Sadie if not for Alex McKenna.

Writing and acting is what makes these characters iconic, not necessarily their looks.

Last edited:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
It ain't about self insertion, it's about making someone completely different. That's sort of the point or RP'ing, at least for me. IDK, I mean it's obviously all personal preference. Some people like games where the MC are already all created for you, I rather do it myself. Some games where I loved the MC from the beginning that isn't a problem, but if I don't feel connected to them I just won't feel that pull to continue the story.

The point is, it WOULD be just as iconic. Change the face but not the VA, usually that's what pulls you in a story: the acting. Obviously it becomes a little precarious when you have two VAs, one for male and one for female, but take ME for example, they did it perfectly imo.

But in RDR2 I loved Arthur from the get-go, I guess it mostly comes down to if you connect with them or not like I mentioned above.

I wouldn't have fallen in love with him if not for Roger Clark. I wouldn't have fallen in love with Ellie if not for Ashley Johnson. I would not have fallen in love with Cassie if not for Ashly Burch in MKX. I wouldn't have fallen in love with Sadie if not for Alex McKenna.

Writing and acting is what makes these characters iconic, not necessarily their looks.
Interesting that you mention connecting with them. With Jin I didn't connect at all at first because of how the Samurai conduct themselves, but further into the game as Jin changes its easier to connect with him, but it is also uncomfortable because he becomes more morally ambiguous. Which I think has to be intentional.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Interesting that you mention connecting with them. With Jin I didn't connect at all at first because of how the Samurai conduct themselves, but further into the game as Jin changes its easier to connect with him, but it is also uncomfortable because he becomes more morally ambiguous. Which I think has to be intentional.
That makes sense, it's like meeting someone new. You don't know them at first, but the more time you spend with them, you start to like them and maybe even connect with them too.

Zviko

Noob

True but you wouldn't connect to them as much or even at all if you created your own look for them. It also doesn't make sense for sequels.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
True but you wouldn't connect to them as much or even at all if you created your own look for them. It also doesn't make sense for sequels.
That's a very good point. I feel I always connect with the ones I create though, personally.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Opposite for me XD I was like omg she's a big dumb jock I love her.
Haha i just couldn't get there, the Abby sympathy moments felt too contrived for me. Point is though unlike Ellie, Jin's actions are called into question very naturally, feels like real people, i couldn't see the writers being the puppet masters and pulling the strings so to speak.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Still ain't got shit on RDR2 and Arthur/John in terms of story, characters, and immersion.

Sorry, gotta simp for RDR2 any chance I get, however Ghost has some of the funnest combat, its once again kinda like Assassin's Creed. Enemies politely attacking one at a time, stealth kills and gadgets trivializing any encounter, but still very fun. Once again though, intentional. Fighting as an honorable Saumurai with only your sword being harder and feeling pointless compared to the "Ghost" tactics is a great way to communicate story through gameplay.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Simping for RDR2 is something I do at least daily lmao. I finished it for the first time during lockdown and it rocked my world lmao. I want to play it again now.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Simping for RDR2 is something I do at least daily lmao. I finished it for the first time during lockdown and it rocked my world lmao. I want to play it again now.
Replaying it after 2 years its awesome. You'll notice all the details put into the characters it is absolutely insane

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Yep! And the story just...makes you feel a lot. You'll feel betrayed but at the same time Sadie becoming badass and being ride or die with Arthur is amazing. Knowing what happens in the first game, it's still bitter sweet once you play as John too. So many feeling.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yep! And the story just...makes you feel a lot. You'll feel betrayed but at the same time Sadie becoming badass and being ride or die with Arthur is amazing. Knowing what happens in the first game, it's still bitter sweet once you play as John too. So many feeling.
I never would have thought one of my favorite moments from the last decade of gaming would be
playing as John and building the house with Uncle and Charles to get Abigail back. Shows how much John grew as a man, that Arthur didn't die for no reason, and that even if John dies eventually it still gave his family a better life.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I never would have thought one of my favorite moments from the last decade of gaming would be
playing as John and building the house with Uncle and Charles to get Abigail back. Shows how much John grew as a man, that Arthur didn't die for no reason, and that even if John dies eventually it still gave his family a better life.
It was such a beautiful moment, and you didn't feel rushed to complete it. I enjoyed every second of the end game.

One of my fave moment has to be when No one else wants to go look for John he says "Ms Adler, ride with me?" it's crazy too to think where he and John started in the story to where they ended up. I just loved that so much. The point that real family will always have your back was so beautiful.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I didn't like Jin initially but he grew on me, especially when he started struggling morally with his warfare tactics. The 2nd and 3rd act the game really starts to find its groove. I played it on the highest difficulty available at launch and that definitely made the combat really intense and shine even more. That's why I'm really excited for Legends.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Absolutely unacceptable that games are getting NG plus added after launch. Will replay it when NG plus is added, wanna experience the story and combat on a higher difficulty but have no interest in grinding for all my shit again.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Absolutely unacceptable that games are getting NG plus added after launch. Will replay it when NG plus is added, wanna experience the story and combat on a higher difficulty but have no interest in grinding for all my shit again.
Don't blame you. I felt the same way with the new Lethal difficulty and running through the single player story again. Honestly though I'm more inclined towards multiplayer vs NG+ as far as replayability goes so this DLC is definitely my type of thing. Hopefully the release more details on the classes and abilities soonish.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Don't blame you. I felt the same way with the new Lethal difficulty and running through the single player story again. Honestly though I'm more inclined towards multiplayer vs NG+ as far as replayability goes so this DLC is definitely my type of thing. Hopefully the release more details on the classes and abilities soonish.
Its a god awful trend in single player games in genersl now, New game plus should always be there. Knightmare difficulty is THE way to play Arkham Knight for example. God of War 4 having NG plus is the only reason I replayed it at all, I can't imagine having to stare at the back of Kratos's head taking up half my screen in that nauseating camera angle going to grind for shit I already found, the story is the only reason to go back. Any single player game needs NG plus.