What's new

Ghost of Tsushima

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
So are all of the Call of Duty games, yet here we are...

It's entirely subjective, so let's move on from this particular subject.

Ghost of Tsushima is easily one of the most beautiful games I've ever had the luxury of playing. I normally don't care to explore outside of what I have to (collectibles, objectives, etc), but I find myself constantly just walking around taking in the scenery and adjusting the camera to get different angles to look at things. I'm not even that far into the game because I just saunter about looking at stuff more than progressing anything.
That's a total different point and not even relative to the point i was making. Odessy is great ghost is great stop taking offense to every single thing all the time

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
I think my only gripe with the game is the stealth, felt kinda clunky at first. But once I got the ronin outfit levelled up and added a couple stealth charms I felt like a straight snake in the grass.
Lmao I doubt you even need them, but yeah the stealth is mad jank tbh, you can sneak up on a a guy and his homie is 2 feet away and don't even notice. Worse is the ones patroling and just walk over the corpse of the guy I just killed like "yep, all clear"
I rarely do stealth anyway but its so wonky that its hilarious so its a win in my book.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
You got that from few minutes of footage or did you play it yourself? Still, Odyssey was nominated for many awards including GOTY but obviously couldn't compete with God of War or RDR2. So even if Valhalla is very similar it will still be an amazing game. It's not like Ghost of Tsushima did something we've never seen before either. It just looks good.
I like odessy a lot but sayingyou didn't when it's even the same HUD is a little nutty but that's okay.

I think ghost has done more then enough to revolutionize the genre. It's simple and you can get lost if you want very few games hit that balence ever ghost lands it all the time.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
The Assassin’s Creed games are mediocre. They have great marketing, and appeal to that segment of the population that enjoys cosplaying, and kissing their dogs on the mouth.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
The Assassin’s Creed games are mediocre. They have great marketing, and appeal to that segment of the population that enjoys cosplaying, and kissing their dogs on the mouth.
AC is such a weird franchise that suffered from trying to churn out too many sequels too fast and then go through this identity crisis on what the core gameplay should play like.

I agree with you though for me the past two games have been solid but mediocre. I'm hoping Valhalla is dope but I'd honestly be more hype for a For Honor 2.

Last edited:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Assassins Creed games range from genuinely great to very barebones.

Origins would have been game of the year material if it wasn't called Assassin's Creed and was just another game that came out that loaded and fun. AC 2 was insanely good for the time. Black Flag was really unique with how it implemented ship combat. Some of these protagonists are very well written and up there with just about any video game characters out there, specifically Ezio, Bayek, and Edward.

Then theres the meh ones like AC1, AC3 (I'm a fan of it, but it was somewhat underwhelming, especially Connor as the protagonist), Unity with Arno being Ezio lite, Altair being basically the most boring ass character in the world (slightly redeemed in Revelations).

I personally hated Odyssey and felt it undid some of the best parts of Origins, just a big empty world that looked pretty and nothing else, god awful story that has nothing to do with AC.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I see a lot of Assassins Creed talk in here. My thoughts on that entire franchise - I don't put any stock in game series that has a sequel cranked out every year. I've just never cared about it or liked any of the ones I've played briefly.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
One thing worth knowing about AC is its like COD with different teams doing different games and being more or less talented. Like Origins and Black Flag were done by the same team and they are loved among both fans and critics, Valhalla is also done by them so 8 have high hopes.

I think everyone gets too hung up on labeling things Dark Souls esque
I'm sick to death of seeing its name brought up to be compared with fucking EVERYTHING like it somehow invented action combat.
I love the Souls game but holy FUCK.

Anyways, Ghost of Tsushima has blown my balls off. This is the samurai game of my dreams so far.
I urge all of you to play with Expert Hud enabled, too.

The subtleties in this game go really far imo.

I’m loving every minute of it. I love how much thought went into the side missions. They aren’t repetitive at all.
I dunno, I think following footprints gets a bit old.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Really wish there was a new game + for this game! I would’ve played again
I'm sure it's coming. Have to give it time. In many cases (like Witcher 3, for example), the NG+ came after the main release. I hope they're planning some standalone DLC, honestly. I'd happily pay for more content when it's this good.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Really wish there was a new game + for this game! I would’ve played again
I know right? Especially with them adding the 'Lethal' difficulty. I don't necessarily want to play through the story again since it's a linear story but having some replayability with the combat would be dope. I actually Platt'd the game and I haven't done that for a game in a long ass time.

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

Why NG+ and skippable cutscenes aren't present in every game that can have either/or is beyond me. Having to patch in NG+, skippable cutscenes, etc shouldn't be a thing.

It should be fairly common knowledge to devs nowadays that people love NG+ and skippable cutscenes.

However, I won't dismiss their absence being a result of deadlines and such, but come on...

These features ought to be considered the "norm" by now, not QoL additions.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Still haven't finished the game, but my goal is to complete all the side missions and "undiscovered" locations and liberate everything.

I think my biggest praise for the game has to be how much they want you to reflect on what a war is like....it changes people in fundamental ways and this isn't just with Jin Sakai, it is reflected in supporting characters that are major and even if you do some of the side missions you'll see some peasants changed by the war in good ways but also many in horrid ways.

I think the fact that there's so much optional content, but it almost always is so coherent and focuses on themes of war and not being able to go back to what we used to be so much.

On a different note, the legend stories are fun especially combating "demons".

I also really like how much of an ode it is to Japanese culture with Haikus too I honestly really appreciate how much the game goes beyond just combat and fighting, everything feels enriching in its own way.

I also really like this skin and headband. Feels like a real lord with the undercoat, cap, symbols and golden headband.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
The fact that it isn't a souls-like is why I didn't pick it up. I love those games. Once you go souls, you never go back. Mark my words.

But also, I mean, you can't give us this big, beautiful RPG and not give us character creation. I HATE that. I hate when devs force us to play generic hero #4. I understand they might not want to spend money to have the story voiced by a male and female VA, but it seems lazy these days to not have a character creator.

The Surge no character creator > The Surge 2 added one
Nioh no character creator > Nioh 2 added one

There is a reason Soulsborne games are such highly regarded. They've had character creation from the beginning because that is the essence of RPGs. You roleplay, you pick the role you want, you pick the character you want to embody. Take that away, you have no RPG. It's just another adventure game. That is why souls-like is a sub-genre in its own. RPGs strive to be like it.

It's hard for me, at least personally, to play an RPG where I can't make my character. The only one I can remember loving was Kassandra in Odyssey and I call it an RPG and it is but it isn't. Still, they give you a choice.

Anyways, I heard amazing things about it and it looks STUNNING. But I just can't justify spending that much money when I can't choose who I play as. Maybe I'm just getting old and grouchy but no character creator = not buying.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
The fact that it isn't a souls-like is why I didn't pick it up. I love those games. Once you go souls, you never go back. Mark my words.

But also, I mean, you can't give us this big, beautiful RPG and not give us character creation. I HATE that. I hate when devs force us to play generic hero #4. I understand they might not want to spend money to have the story voiced by a male and female VA, but it seems lazy these days to not have a character creator.

The Surge no character creator > The Surge 2 added one
Nioh no character creator > Nioh 2 added one

There is a reason Soulsborne games are such highly regarded. They've had character creation from the beginning because that is the essence of RPGs. You roleplay, you pick the role you want, you pick the character you want to embody. Take that away, you have no RPG. It's just another adventure game. That is why souls-like is a sub-genre in its own. RPGs strive to be like it.

It's hard for me, at least personally, to play an RPG where I can't make my character. The only one I can remember loving was Kassandra in Odyssey and I call it an RPG and it is but it isn't. Still, they give you a choice.

Anyways, I heard amazing things about it and it looks STUNNING. But I just can't justify spending that much money when I can't choose who I play as. Maybe I'm just getting old and grouchy but no character creator = not buying.
No character creator because it is Jin's story, it's like why you can't create a character in Uncharted, its about Nathan Drake.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
No character creator because it is Jin's story, it's like why you can't create a character in Uncharted, its about Nathan Drake.
Sure, but keep the name and give us the ability to change the character's face and body, you get the same end result. The story is the same you just got to play with a character you made.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Sure, but keep the name and give us the ability to change the character's face and body, you get the same end result. The story is the same you just got to play with a character you made.
I suppose character creation could be a thing within reason, the character being a man, Japanese, and looking fairly similar to Jin though is pretty much necessary for the story to make sense is the thing. Idk RDR2 would have been hurt by create a character imo, its not a story about inserting yourself into it, its about what you can take away from Jin's story and how this specific guy interacts with all the vastly different characters around him.

Zviko

Noob
I have completely different idea of a RPG. For me a good RPG is a game where your choices affect the story, quests, world and characters and their relationship with you and how they treat you. That's when your "role" you chose to play actually matters and it's not only in your head. Character creation still has very little to no value for that but since everyone makes their own story with their decisions, character creation makes perfect sense.

As for Uncharted and RDR2 and such, they definitely wouldn't be half as iconic if everyone made their own Nathan Drake or Arthur Morgan.