What's new

Ghost of Tsushima

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Initially, I foolishly thought this was a Dark Souls-type game, which I like but am garbage at. Once I found out it was open world action rpg, I gave it a look.

Holy shit, this game is unbelievable. The minimal UI, the whole world itself, the music, the combat....it's incredible. Even the way they handle waypoints in this game is so unique (you follow the wind).

Anyone else pick this up? Amazing swan song for the PS4 that will go down as one of the best PS4 games ever, in my opinion.

Last edited:

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
My GOTY so far tbh, I wish the combat was a bit more.. I wanna say more thoughtful but I don't think thats the right word, even on hard it's not very challenging and can feel very mashy. I don't hate it but the trailers definitely gave off a different vibe.
As a "hater" of open world games I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying exploring and messing around.
It's a lot of fun and I love how the game looks and the artistic design, its just so sleek.

That said, I still don't understand how death works though, sometimes enemies come back and other times I just finish where I left off right before I died.
That and the cuts to black before and after cutscenes are very noticable after TLOU2 which was very seamless, but overall minor nitpicks, still a 10/10 so far for me.

kevkopdx

Noob
I’m not a fan of open world games either but this one has a really nice flow and doesn’t feel aimless. The graphics and art design are beautiful and I do like the story so far. Fantastic game!

John Grizzly

My GOTY so far tbh, I wish the combat was a bit more.. I wanna say more thoughtful but I don't think thats the right word, even on hard it's not very challenging and can feel very mashy. I don't hate it but the trailers definitely gave off a different vibe.
As a "hater" of open world games I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying exploring and messing around.
It's a lot of fun and I love how the game looks and the artistic design, its just so sleek.

That said, I still don't understand how death works though, sometimes enemies come back and other times I just finish where I left off right before I died.
That and the cuts to black before and after cutscenes are very noticable after TLOU2 which was very seamless, but overall minor nitpicks, still a 10/10 so far for me.
I like feeling powerful in video games. As a legendary samurai, it feels good to approach a group of 7 bums and body the shit out of them. Also, I feel like the combat will only become more and more fun as we unlock more stances and abilities within those stances.

Game of the Year easily for me.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Game is great. I've been playing for ten hours and haven't even touched the main story beyond what you have to do to get to the open world part at the very beginning. After I've done a couple more hours on optional missions and exploring unknown locales I'll probably start that, but the graphics and effects of certain areas are absolutely gorgeous especially at night time, it's very ethereal.

I think everyone gets too hung up on labeling things Dark Souls esque. The only thing that really feels Dark Souls esque to me is how I approach large groups of damaging enemies.

Also from my experience, you can't mash at all in boss encounters, patience and timing definitely play a central role. I tested mashing on one of the bosses and died several times trying to and I ended up only beating them after I evaded or parried and then hit back and had to time rolls and such. This was on normal so I'm sure on hard you definitely have to be mindful in these scenarios.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
I like feeling powerful in video games. As a legendary samurai, it feels good to approach a group of 7 bums and body the shit out of them. Also, I feel like the combat will only become more and more fun as we unlock more stances and abilities within those stances.

Game of the Year easily for me.
Yeah like I said I don't hate it, I'm a Musou fan so being a beast doesn't bug me.

I think Sekiro warped the perspective in many people's eyes making them expect basically another Sekiro but more realistic.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
The combat is where it's shining for me right now. I'm playing 100% swordplay/standoff (unless forced to stealth for missions) and I really like the paper/rock/scissors approach to the sword stances. I've got all stance trees maxed out just from doing all side quests and explorations from the 1st act and just a few in act 2.

Playing it on Hard and it's probably the best way to play it imho just because you can still put the hurt on enemies but if you make a few mistakes with timing it could lead to death. Enemy types get more varied and difficult too so that's refreshing to see. Even Confront encounters get more difficult with more feints and faster enemies (which means tighter reaction windows).

I just started Act 2 and the story is solid but so far nothing earthshaking. Side characters and main character are ok but no one is really standing out as super memorable yet. Hoping Act 2 gets a little spicier.

Last edited:

John Grizzly

Can anyone explain how Standoffs work past the first opponent? I kill the first bum every time and when I try to do the next I either get hit or I just end up releasing an attack before I want to.

After holding triangle, releasing with timing to kill the first dude, how do I continue the standoff? I've seen people do 5 or 6 in a row. Do I begin to hold triangle again after the first guy dies?

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Can anyone explain how Standoffs work past the first opponent? I kill the first bum every time and when I try to do the next I either get hit or I just end up releasing an attack before I want to.

After holding triangle, releasing with timing to kill the first dude, how do I continue the standoff? I've seen people do 5 or 6 in a row. Do I begin to hold triangle again after the first guy dies?
I got you dude. Ok so you won't be able to chain standoff kills together unless you spec into it. I forget what tree it's in as I'm not in game but you can max out at 3 (1 initial + 2 chain kills) just from that tree alone. Clips you're seeing of pushing the chain kills past the 3 comes from an armor passive that's story progression locked. It basically adds Showdown chain kills each time you upgrade it.

As far as how to showdown: You only long press/release on the initial kill, everything after that is press square or triangle button when the next opponent is in their attack animation.

The timing is pretty generous in the first act but gets more difficult post Act 1.

John Grizzly

I got you dude. Ok so you won't be able to chain standoff kills together unless you spec into it. I forget what tree it's in as I'm not in game but you can max out at 3 (1 initial + 2 chain kills) just from that tree alone. Clips you're seeing of pushing the chain kills past the 3 comes from an armor passive that's story progression locked. It basically adds Showdown chain kills each time you upgrade it.

As far as how to showdown: You only long press/release on the initial kill, everything after that is press square or triangle button when the next opponent is in their attack animation.

The timing is pretty generous in the first act but gets more difficult post Act 1.
Ahhhhh ok. I was going nuts, dude! I thought I was just fucking up the timing. This makes sense. I am having trouble progressing because I'm just enjoying exploring the world so much. It's been a long time since I've been at work at thought to myself "I can't wait to go home and play (insert game)."

Cyberpunk is the only game that has a shot at unseating GOT as GOTY. Shit, it's damn near the same letters!

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I’m quite enjoying it. As someone that’s not a huge fan of open world games, I’ve always loved the way Sucker Punch and Rocksteady structure theirs.

It’s very easy to move towards a goal while also having accessible side quests if you feel like going for them; all nicely displayed for you lol

SparkySanders

Unga bunga dude
I think my only gripe with the game is the stealth, felt kinda clunky at first. But once I got the ronin outfit levelled up and added a couple stealth charms I felt like a straight snake in the grass.

Zviko

Noob
It's the same exact game as Odessy lol
You got that from few minutes of footage or did you play it yourself? Still, Odyssey was nominated for many awards including GOTY but obviously couldn't compete with God of War or RDR2. So even if Valhalla is very similar it will still be an amazing game. It's not like Ghost of Tsushima did something we've never seen before either. It just looks good.

E

Eldriken

It's the same exact game as Odessy lol
So are all of the Call of Duty games, yet here we are...

It's entirely subjective, so let's move on from this particular subject.

Ghost of Tsushima is easily one of the most beautiful games I've ever had the luxury of playing. I normally don't care to explore outside of what I have to (collectibles, objectives, etc), but I find myself constantly just walking around taking in the scenery and adjusting the camera to get different angles to look at things. I'm not even that far into the game because I just saunter about looking at stuff more than progressing anything.