What's new

Getting my first Tattoo

TWOFACE_23

Not trying to be rude, just stating my opinion.

I honestly think fake temporary tattoos are cool, but the real thing not so much. When you get old, your skin starts to wrinkle, and the fish won't look so good. just my 0.02
In my opinion old people look cool with tats and fake tattoos are pretty stupid.. but to each its own

Theme

Noob
Dude that idea would look nice on the lower calf and Ofcourse you should get it professionaly done, thats on your skin for life. Good tattoos aint cheap and cheap tattoos aint good. Do your research and find a good artist. don't just go to anyone like i did..
Thing is, I trust the guy who referred me. I've seen his work, my friend already got 2 big tattoo's from him already.

Not trying to be rude, just stating my opinion.

I honestly think fake temporary tattoos are cool, but the real thing not so much. When you get old, your skin starts to wrinkle, and the fish won't look so good. just my 0.02
Lol well when the time comes, I doubt I would care how I looked anymore...

Big Frog

Noob
So I have decided I may wait till my birthday to get the tattoo, within 2 months as a self-present I guess...

I was talking to my cousin and he told me I should get it professionally done even if its expensive just in case. What do you guys think? He was also telling me how Koi's are overrated now and are lame... but it fits my style IMO.
Well, it's no secret that koi fish, japanese characters, crosses, tribal, etc are popular. If it's something you want, have feelings about then it doesn't matter. Get what you want, but surely make sure it's what you want.

To use myself as an example. I'm covered in amphibian related tattoos, and I'd still be covered in them if they were very popular because they mean so much to me. Don't listen to anyone.

I do agree about it being pro done though. Of course it should. You don't HAVE to get the whole tattoo done in one sitting. So if money is tight just get it done in segments. Artists seem to hate any type of drama though so it's preferred you get something that small done all at once.

Shady

Noob
I'm getting a tattoo some day
A unicorn on your left butt cheek?

In anyway to give you some insight, since it is your first tattoo. Be warned, once you get one, you will want more, I got 3 (all relatively small) and working on a fourth (a half sleeve on my right hand). All black and white. It is an awesome feeling and as long as you get something meaningful it is something that you will never regret.

Now, for pricing. May people do it differently. Some parlors will charge only for the hour, usually between 100-200$/hr depending on the artist's reputation. Some more well known people will charge more, but that doesn't seem to be your problem. If the artist gets involved, or it looks like a big piece, it might be they charge you per piece, as their estimate of how long it would take. Some places do the reverse (like under 2-3 hours of work they'll give you a set amount where for large pieces they will go per hour). I would say, get creative with your idea, put a unique spin on it, sit down and talk to the artist, because if you get them involved and inspired they might want the piece to become a part of their portfolio and will even offer you a good discount (I am talking to my new artist currently and he wants to do my piece soo bad he's giving me like 20-30% off so we can get it done).

As for the pain, it depends on the area. Usually the places close to the bone or sensitive areas are bad. I don't have one in any of those yet so I can't comment, but expect ribs, elbows, chest, knee, inside the elbow and inside the knee. All of those will definitely hurt, back too. Everything else, more than bearable.

Also, don't make the same mistake I did and go get your first tattoo on an empty stomach, you will almost pass out and feel ridiculously embarrassed.

EDIT: Also, for your concern about it being "overplayed", as long as it has meaning to you and you add a unique element to it, don't worry about it. The biggest thing here is not to get something for the sake of getting something. I hate people who are not Chinese but get Chinese symbols, tribal tattoos (what tribe you from? Like really...). I had a friend who wanted to get a cadet pilot symbol on his chest and it meant something to him but instead he got a maple leaf and everyone ridiculed him because he changed his mind and picked out a sketch rather than make it personal.

Like, my next tattoo is a family tree ("original", right?) but I've spent about an hour and a half with the artist on it and we have come up with a unique spin on it and now we can't wait to get in the shop and get it done.

If I were to get a tattoo I would get an MK Dragon Logo on my back that covers the whole thing, that's why I'm never getting a tattoo ^_^

Shady

Noob
Oh god that shit looks awful, spend your time not fucking yourself up.

At age 80: Why in the fuck do I have a fish.
Some people don't get it, some people do, it's a personal thing, sometimes perhaps it is cultural... But I absolutely love getting tattooed, the process itself as well as the final product. Yeah, maybe it won't look as crisp when I'm 80, but I don't think anyone would give a fuck when I'm 80. It has meaning to me...

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I have one, the MK dragon on my right shoulder(yes I'm THAT big of an MK fan...) lol and plan on getting more. They're fun!

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
I may get a tattoo in a year or so preferably a Lin kuei logo or a Vic Rattlehead tattoo. I am for sure gonna wait until i'm at least 18. Don't wanna make any mistakes considering my interests as an adult will more then likely change from my interests now.

Tremloc

Noob
Many others have said it in this thread because it's the most important thing you can do and I'll reiterate:

Get something that has meaning. Real lifetime meaning, not meaning to you at this very moment. What you think is super cool awesome epic now will probably not be to you in 10 years. Sounds like you're in good shape here with your koi, but this can't be stressed enough.

Also, I suggest trying and work with the artist or if you're artistically inclined draw your own. Use the pictures from deviant art as a template and have the artist draw you something unique.

The empty stomach advise is also a good one to follow. I've been tattooed 3 times and never had an issue, but my wife has been tattooed once (on an empty stomach cause she was too nervous to eat) and ended up almost passing out. I had to get her some soda to bring up her blood sugar. :p