What's new

Get better on MK11

I've been playing MK for only 2 weeks and I'm trying to improve.
Initially, I just enjoyed seeing MK's competitive looking tournaments... then one day I decided to buy the game for PS4.
My main is Cassie Cage, my biggest problem is that I can't counter a combo.
When they attack me and I block everything I try to start a new combo after they finish theirs but I'm always punished. I try to start a combo but they come with a new one combo.
People say that I should be more aggressive or try to start with D1/3 but it doesn't work.
In short words I can't respond to the pressure. They block all my combo or they just punish me. Why I can't pressure like they do?
I always lose even with people below my level just because I can't do nothing, it's frustrating, how should I train? Someone can help me on PS4?

I'm not the best player in the world but you need to learn frame data. You need to figure out what is punishable and what isn't and what is your best combo starter/punisher. Also lots of people mash online and if the connection isn't good then there is almost nothing you can do about it.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Understand staggering especially with Cassie which is what she is good at and as others stated on here already, know ur frame data, know when u can only counter with a poke, or when u can use a mid to punish/start pressuring, and make sure u have jailing down especially off the hit advantage of a poke that connects.

Thanks for the instant reply guys I appreciate it. I have some questions.
On Cassie Cage 1 startup is 7, 111 startup is 18. So if I do 111, the first punch is 7 not 18?
If I know that for example that a command is not safe on block, then it means that I can't use that when I know that the opponent might block it? Then I should use that just if I know that he will not block it?

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Thanks for the instant reply guys I appreciate it. I have some questions.
On Cassie Cage 1 startup is 7, 111 startup is 18. So if I do 111, the first punch is 7 not 18?
If I know that for example that a command is not safe on block, then it means that I can't use that when I know that the opponent might block it? Then I should use that just if I know that he will not block it?
It means the first hit is 7 frames and usually strings can't be interrupted unless there's a massive gap but it just means that it can be flawless blocked or fatal blowed in most instances tho u should also check for cancel advantage to see if it's cancellable

I have been playing fighters for 24 years now and i have 120h in m11 so far and still see barely any improvements because the whole game simply feels clunky, unresponsive and strange. I only play Mk because it is Mk tbh, 1-3 feel more dynamic than the modern trilogy. You really have to think of nrs games as something completely different. Things you have learned from other fighters often won't help. Frame data is always the first step to become more competitive. Then you should learn about string gaps and which one you can interrupt. Or you pick liu kang, nrs loves these derp characters and are not able to balance their clunky games lol

Gaxkang

Banned
I've been playing MK for only 2 weeks and I'm trying to improve.
Initially, I just enjoyed seeing MK's competitive looking tournaments... then one day I decided to buy the game for PS4.
My main is Cassie Cage, my biggest problem is that I can't counter a combo.
When they attack me and I block everything I try to start a new combo after they finish theirs but I'm always punished. I try to start a combo but they come with a new one combo.
People say that I should be more aggressive or try to start with D1/3 but it doesn't work.
In short words I can't respond to the pressure. They block all my combo or they just punish me. Why I can't pressure like they do?
I always lose even with people below my level just because I can't do nothing, it's frustrating, how should I train? Someone can help me on PS4?
Yeah the thing is most stuff you block you can't punish with a string. Only really unsafe stuff like say a teleport could you do that.

So basically when you block something the question becomes can you D1 or you do get to keep blocking (even if you've blocked a lot already eh).

And then if you can D1 and it hits, then it becomes what can you do on D1 hit. For many characters that might be very little. Throwing is a thing but when it gets predictable it's dangerous (and a pain if it feels like there's nothing else you can do).
I think Cassie can do low gunshots off D1 tho. Which is comboable.

About the D1 tho...there are lots of things it doesn't punish...which basically means you can't do anything but block.

Going online properties can change, too. Frame data or whatever gets out of whack.

MK11 doesn't tend to feel like a game where there's a lot of punishment on block.

Yeah the thing is most stuff you block you can't punish with a string. Only really unsafe stuff like say a teleport could you do that.

So basically when you block something the question becomes can you D1 or you do get to keep blocking (even if you've blocked a lot already eh).

And then if you can D1 and it hits, then it becomes what can you do on D1 hit. For many characters that might be very little. Throwing is a thing but when it gets predictable it's dangerous (and a pain if it feels like there's nothing else you can do).
I think Cassie can do low gunshots off D1 tho. Which is comboable.

About the D1 tho...there are lots of things it doesn't punish...which basically means you can't do anything but block.

Going online properties can change, too. Frame data or whatever gets out of whack.

MK11 doesn't tend to feel like a game where there's a lot of punishment on block.
So I should do just a D1 everytime? But I do see a lot of people counter with string

Gaxkang

Banned
So I should do just a D1 everytime? But I do see a lot of people counter with string
There may be (and I think there are) strings that can be punished with a string...but that would take character specific study in training mode vs. the roster, and recognizing the string and using the correct thing. Hopefully the frame data would hold up online.
Such punishment will not be plentiful really.

Specials are usually more punishable...but some are not. Jacqui's flying fist is safe on block.

D1 will be one's fastest move really, and can provide a good baseline of understanding or punishment without going into more rigorous study like in training mode. It can also tie into the throw meta.
If you can't punish with a D1, if they can block...that can quickly tell you that's not punishable.

You also have to watch out for people not completing a string, or cancelling into a special at some point (perhaps off the 2nd hit). And that's tough because you can feel locked in, having to anticipate a whole string or special. Really blocking in MK11 can put you into real tough spots....I've done my best gameplay when I had an offensive roll going on and mixing someone up a lot. Defensive play is very touchy.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Instead of just guessing or trying to take a shortcut like mashing d1 every time, you can actually calculate this to know what your response can be.

-For whatever string your opponent is using, find the recovery on block
-If the recovery is more than 10 frames or so (roughly), you might be able to punish if you have a combo starter that becomes active faster than their recovery
-In situations where the recovery is less, you need to think about the math. Say for example that your opponent ends a string with a recovery on block of -3 frames. And you want to use a string to respond that goes active on the 12th frame (meaning that it has 11 frames of non-active ‘start up’ time before it hits). So if you do the math.. 11 frames before your attack goes ‘active’ (hits), minus their 3 frames of recovery before they can attack, leaves them 8 frames to interrupt you before your attack hits. Because the window is only 8 frames, they will need to use their fastest attack to beat your 12-frame response. So that is a great situation for them to use a poke, like a d1, which is typically 6 or 7 frames of ‘start up’.

If you anticipate that your opponent needs to respond with their fastest attack to beat your combo starter, you can use your fastest attack to beat them first. So instead of using your 12-frame combo starter, you can use your own d1 first, and you’ll beat them due to their 3 frames of recovery. And if it hits, then they’ll be stuck in recovery again (we call this ‘hit stun’), and then you can use your slower combo starter while they’re in recovery and forced to block.

This is the most basic example.. It becomes more complex when you factor in things like ‘pushback’ (how far a string leaves you from your opponent when it ends), and whether your opponent will walk back after certain attacks, etc. But the point is, learning the frames will tell you how many frames you have available to respond after you block something.

Last edited:

Sound

Noob
[....]
You also have to watch out for people not completing a string, or cancelling into a special at some point (perhaps off the 2nd hit). And that's tough because you can feel locked in, having to anticipate a whole string or special. Really blocking in MK11 can put you into real tough spots....I've done my best gameplay when I had an offensive roll going on and mixing someone up a lot. Defensive play is very touchy.
This is my main problem. Playing so defensive than most of the time, if you don't do anything stupid, I'll just wait to lose by taking way too much chip damage. Being offensive is really important, yet it's more a state of mind to get than having huge skill. I wish I had a counter telling me when I don't press a button or doing nothing else than just waiting that something really advantageous happens.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
You'll know when you get good at this game because you'll catch yourself playing a really good set, barely squeaking out a hard fought victory, then inexplicably teabagging like a dirty Asshole Bastard. Two types of movement to learn in this game, wave dashing and undeserved bagging. :DOGE

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Starting with Cassie is good, you'll learn staggers, throw games, restand mix and you'll also learn some frustratingly tricky combos.

But first things first, and as people here already said, learn frame data because that determines when it's your turn or not and it's the basis of fighting games.

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
I've been playing MK for only 2 weeks
This here is the issue. It takes years to get at a decent level.
Make sure to learn frame data, learn all of your characters best strings and optimal combos, most importantly know when you can press a certain button and at what range. These are the basics, once you are comfortable with those then the high level mind games come.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
learning how to counter poke is probably the biggest hurdle for new players so don't sweat it if your struggling. biggest advice is to just keep learning. whenever you get hit by something you don't know about, go into training mode and try to figure out the answer. a basic strategy for starting out is to use your d1 when every your you block someone's string. there's of course exceptions to that but you'll just have to learn those as you go along. cassie is also really good because she has f4 which you can use instead of d1 for more damage once you get comfortable. and like everyone else has said learn frame data, more specifically look at startup and block advantage.