What's new

General Sports Discussion

Tim Static

Adminerator
Love sports?

Then talk about it here. Some things are thread worthy, but keep basic conversations here, please.

NO flaming, just cool friendly banter please :)

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Ohh lol ok, to Tim I made those make a sports topic before I noticed this(I didn't make a thread though lol) Cool thread.

Anywho, yeah was just saying or going to post the most successful teams in every sport.

So here's my list:

MLB-Yankees easily, 27 championships, countless pennants, countless Hall of Famers and more to join that are still playing, worth the most I read recently since George Steinbrenner passed sadly last week that since he bought them over 30 years ago, now the team is worth billions...crazy...I think every sports fan either loves or hates the Yankees, obviously you know them but everyone should respect them regardless IMO. There is no team that can match them overall with success, stars and in profits(brand name etc) You can go all over the country and find a Yankee fan lol. They have no equals when you really think about and are legends in sports...

NHL-Ok, we all know Hockey is dead last in USA typically compared to the other 3 sports but I have to tip my cap to Montreal Canadiens, they're second to the Yankees in terms of Championships.

NBA-LA Lakers, Kobe being the main reason for their recent success, still an overall good team and of course having Phil Jackson as your coach doesn't hurt either(being the former Bulls coach a la Michael Jordan) so yeah lol...Phil's has the coaching life I suppose. Up to what, 17 Championships now? Not bad, not bad.

NFL-Dallas Cowboys, ok we all know past 10 years they can't win the championship and haven't been that great...but yeah, much like the Yankees they have fans everywhere. Even here in NYC(not that many but some)

In saying so, every sport is different, unique and challenging in it's own way but I tend to like Baseball, Football more in terms of "more team oriented sports" since you can't win with just one or two guys like you can in B-ball or Hockey(Jordan, Kobe Gretzkey, Crosby etc)

I also enjoy bowling a lot and there's tons of legends from Earl Anthony to Walter Ray Williams...and then some but sadly this sport has gone down compared to the golden era of bowling :(

I never said I hated the Yankees, yes they are the best franchise in the mlb hands down, but their not as consistent as the Lakers.

The Cowboys suck, man. When's the last time they won anything? I feel sorry for Tony Romo, he's my fav player:facepalm:

Tim Static

Adminerator
Most Championships

NFL - Steelers (boo)
MLB - NY Yankees
NBA - Celtics not only 1 up for LAL (boo)
NHL - Montreal Canadiens

NCAA stuff is weird because teams, especially back in the day, would claim National Championships just because they thought they deserved them. So there are alot of schools with a ton, and most of them are still powerful programs.

MKF30

@Dem, I see what you're saying but I have to disagree there or say both Yankees are also very consistent, like I said in the other thread dude. Even when they didn't win any championships, in the 80's they still lead the league in overall win % during the regular season.

Also, in a way you can't really compare different sports in the "consistent" mark equally since Baseball is a long, tough season...162 games man lol...as oppose to Basketball what 86 games something around there? Still a lot but not nearly as many as 162, considering the Yankees finish in first place most of the time in history in AL East, I'd say that's as consistent as anyone lol.

I'm not saying Lakers are bad though, just saying in baseball it's different in that respect and you can't rely always on just one or two guys. The whole team has to win. That's one reason why I love MLB and Football more then other sports at times because it's a team oriented sport, not always oh crap we're in trouble give the ball to this guy...but still I admit Kobe is entertaining.

MKF30

Personally I think MLB needs to be cut and NFL extended(it's been discussed at times but neither will happen anytime soon I don't think) baseball since it's a long, drawn out season and rough for the players I mean playing in 86-100 plus for 9-10 months including Spring Training is draining after a while lol...

Maybe like around 120 or 100 I could live with that.

And NFL is way too short, I think they need to extend games to at least 20, I'd like to see NFL maybe last a little longer into March since it's still cold for the most part. I know they take a beating, but so do hockey players they play 82 games. Plus I kind of think it's unfair in a way if you start off crappy then you have virtually no time to catch up at all in Football IMO.

But who knows, I doubt either will change anytime soon.

MKF30

lol, yeah I think most fans generally will miss some games in any sport except maybe, football(16 games is nothing) between work, school etc.

Although, I do tape via DVR if I will miss a game or not be home :) when it comes to the Yanks.

BOSSETTE

Noob
I love sports.
I'm all for basketball, volleyball, tennis, and running but not track & field. I hate being forced to run, I'd rather run whenever I feel like it lol.

Tim Static

Adminerator
How do you think Miami matches up against Boston?
Hard to say right now, considering aside from the South Beach 3, who else is there? there arent any role players i can think of.

Hell, Orlando may be above Miami at this very moment. We'll see tho.

MKF30

South Beach 3 hahahaha I like that. Plus, we have to consider injuries also....which are random and unpredictable usually. Lebron or Bosh can get hurt for all we know, and that would change things too you know?

I'm happy my Knicks finally improved a little, although getting rid of Lee=dumb move. They really should learn how to run a team from the Yankees.....I'm wondering, I think the NYY are the only team in NY that can A. Win and B. Manage their shit right....lol

So Boston is going to open the season vs the Heat:) Who ever wins that game is going to make a statement hopefully Boston wins and hopefully they make it to the finals again so we can beat them. It's going to be much sweeter because now Kobe will be able do beat Shaq and retire his ass.

Heat @ Lakers Christmas day!!! Big beat down LA is going to give these quitters. It's sad how they were threaten by Mambas dominance so they had to join each other to try & win.

MKF30

Ahh, interesting ^

Anywho, want to say congrats to A-rod for hitting 600 finally! Only 10 players in history of MLB to reach that despite the era.

Scampy

Noob
yo this is going to be random the two best soccer players in mexico to bad lost to the f***ing argentina!!!!! :mad:[video]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eECq9JcWg3Y&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_profilepage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eECq9JcWg3Y&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_profilepage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" [video]<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ShZY2BCMWVQ"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ShZY2BCMWVQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>[/video]height="385"></embed></object>[/video][video]<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LhSi3iWFl2o"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LhSi3iWFl2o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>[/video]
http://theoriginalwinger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Javier-Hernandez0.jpg