What's new

Gear moves feel just there

Anyone else feel like gear moves are way too safe and feel like theyre just there? Like here's an air version of a base move, or here is a standard projectile that isnt special in any way at all. Some of them of really neat like captain colds ice platforms but why not just have them in his base moveset? And theyre not even related to gear which is what injustice 2 is supposed to be all about! When i equip a move, why doesnt my character get some sort of visual indicator that they have something extra on them. Mkx hit the spot with dualist liu kang because it was very clear that you were playing a variation of Liu kang and not just liu kang with some fancy moves. Gear abilities are just not fun enough.

Here are some examples on what direction I think they should have gone for:

Poison Ivy -
Ability name: Willflower
Visual Indicator: green lantern ring on her finger
Ability description: ivy creates a plant construct from her ring that wraps around the opponent. She can then mb for a launch

Captain cold -
Ability name: Flash Flame
Visual Indicator: gun has a flame decal
Ability description: Captain cold shoots out a burst of fire from his gun

Superman
Ability name: Doom Dive
Visual indicator: spikes on his upper back
Ability description: superman leaps off the screen then slams back down, spikes first onto his opponent

Ability name: Lex Laser
Visual Indicator: an L on his chest instead of an S
Ability description: Superman signals his friend lex luthor to call down a laser beam from orbit

Wonder Woman -
Ability name: Wrath of the sun
Visual Indicator: helios sun crown
Ability description: a burst of light emits from wonderwoman's eyes and mouth, blinding and stunning the opponent for a follow up

Firestorm -
Ability name: atomic freeze
Visual Indicator: when ability is casted, firestorm emits snow out of his head instead of fire
Ability description: Replaces mb molten trap with a freeze that drains the opponents meter. Opponent gets a hard knockdown when comboed off of instead of bounce

Bane -
Ability name: front breaker
Visual indicator: rocket launcher strapped to his back
Ability description: bane shoots his rocket launcher. Gains armor from venom

trufenix

bye felicia
Because whatever accomodations devs put in the game with a big sign that says casuals only is met by a why did they even bother response if it sucks or it why don't they balance it response if its good from the royal competitive community.

That said, there is no law that says we can't find a way to use gear moves competitively. Since the dawn of fighting games players have been carving shit, imbalanced and poorly designed games into competitive games worth holding tournaments for. The smash community is a perfect example.

We just need someone to step up, do the labor and then get TOs on board.

Because whatever accomodations devs put in the game with a big sign that says casuals only is met by a why did they even bother response if it sucks or it why don't they balance it response if its good from the royal competitive community.

That said, there is no law that says we can't find a way to use gear moves competitively. Since the dawn of fighting games players have been carving shit, imbalanced and poorly designed games into competitive games worth holding tournaments for. The smash community is a perfect example.

We just need someone to step up, do the labor and then get TOs on board.
This is bollocks. There's no options or ui to handle gear and ability on a competitive level and its not the communities fault that nrs through out this garbage with no real thought.

Abilities aren't unilaterally balanced.
Gear isn't balanced or even vaguely suitable for a competitive scene and guys what.. they're not good for casuals either because they're just broken.

People might enjoy out gearing other people, until they get out geared themselves. Same with abilities

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
I've been thinking about how to get a tourney with abilities like what @trufenix is talking about. At the moment it has to be online because of how the gear and abilities work. I figured we just need a starting point right now. I say we just have everything with rare gear. This way we get rid of some of the more insane builds and focus just on adapting to the character and their moves.

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
You can't have a serious Tournament with Abilities though, because there is no way to lab them without grinding to get all of the abilities.

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
The way they implemented the ability system is like they didn't want us to use them. They made most of them trash, uninteresting, and it's literally impossible to get them all without many, many, many hours of grinding. Ever feel like smash 4 custom moves were too easy to get? No? Well the special moves in this game are infinitely harder to obtain. The balance of the moves is mind-blowingly terrible. You have most of them useless or detrimental to equip, a few decent ones, and then a few broken as hell moves.

The gear system is also a disappointment. It had so much potential but you are waaaaaaaaaaaay too limited and overwhelmed at the same time.

Also real money transactions for transmogrification lol.

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
I mean, they tried something new. The gear set bonuses are crazy though in what they can do, and some abilities are pretty cool. It's just the stat changes that mess everything up imo.

If NRS implemented a game mode only for ability use, you could see a lot more people playing the game.

I mean, they tried something new. The gear set bonuses are crazy though in what they can do, and some abilities are pretty cool. It's just the stat changes that mess everything up imo.

If NRS implemented a game mode only for ability use, you could see a lot more people playing the game.
They're not balanced in the slightest, I haven't seen them all, but there's some dumb shot out there.

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
They're not balanced in the slightest, I haven't seen them all, but there's some dumb shot out there.
I do agree with that. But it would have been fun to have a gamemode specifically dedicated to using that dumb stuff, and is definitely a huge missed opportunity.

I feel like nobody understood what i was trying to say in the OP. Probably explained it poorly. The gear abilities are too canon, they dont feel like an add-on at all, more just something required to unlock simply because it was coded as so.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
For competitive play, abilities don't really have a place.

- Like Nexallus said, it's nearly impossible to prepare for abilities used in a tournament because they all have to be unlocked.

- Abilities are very clearly not designed for competitive use. For instance, Catwoman has a low whip attack that does ~25-30% when meter burned, Red Hood has straight upgrades like his MB forward dive and air grab launching on which gives you like 60% for a bar, and there are abilities like making Suoernan's super unblockable.

- There is no in-game option to turn off stats but still keep abilities; it's either no abilities and no gear/stats or full abilities and full gear/stats.

OP, I agree that gear moves are really just there. Casual players that like the multiverse can have a good time with them there (or maybe in player matches), but they have no place in a competitive setting.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
Ever feel like smash 4 custom moves were too easy to get? No? Well the special moves in this game are infinitely harder to obtain.
In my dreams maybe. I have 250+ hours in that game and don't even have half the custom moves there. In Injustice 2 I'm at 70~ hours right now and already have unlocked all of them for every character.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
I was actually just thinking about how NRS could implement abilitys into their next game, and keep them competitive. A build your own variation if you will, however you do it from the character select screen and there are no gear stats, just equitable moves. It would work like this-
You pick your character at the character select, and once your fighter is chosen two empty slots appear and a list of equitable special moves. You go through the list (maybe like 6 or 8 abilitys per character) and choose the two you want to have during the match. Maybe some could take up both slots, much like INJ2.
Every character has their base move set still obviously but you can choose your own specials to have the character fit to your own liking. And this isn't like a mode, that's just how the game works. So it could be competitive.
Idk, just some idea off the top of my head. If they did something like this for the next MK game or that horror movie game Ed talked about or whatever, I think it would be fun.

I feel like nobody understood what i was trying to say in the OP. Probably explained it poorly. The gear abilities are too canon, they dont feel like an add-on at all, more just something required to unlock simply because it was coded as so.
I get that, it's like you're unlocking Ryu's Dragon punch, rather than a different hurricane kick.

Some of them should be in the base kit and what you unlock is the variants.

Reminds me of rising thunder where you would pick your loadout. The base kit was all there, but you'd tune things to face different matchups.

I think that would have worked better as a focus than what we have now

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
gear moves were a good idea but so poorly executed its not even funny. theyre damn near impossible to get from playing online and if they were balanced and separated from gear/allowed competitively they could have possibly helped balance.

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
In my dreams maybe. I have 250+ hours in that game and don't even have half the custom moves there. In Injustice 2 I'm at 70~ hours right now and already have unlocked all of them for every character.
You can get custom moves in smash 4 on command. You can't in Injustice 2.

You can play a mode where only the gear moves are involved and not the gear itself. Just have people equip the base gear only (all stats are 0 for all gear) and whatever gear moves. I am sure everyone have their mains on level 20 so no need to worry about being handicapped in that department.