What's new

Gaming Disorder is an official illness by WHO

3kCle

Noob
no one is physically dependent on videogames...until we see someone with "withdrawl" symptoms IT IS ALWAYS A CHOICE!!!
Lol this is insane. There are tons of addictions that don't cause withdrawal symptoms.

P2W and the others are just trying to look out for some of the people who make the game a priority over their real lives and don't take care of themselves. There are people in the FGC who ruin their lives over a game nobody will be playing in a few years

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
To the person who lost a girlfriend and failed out of school and gained a lot of weight and would binge play for 10 hr sessions or so? What do you say then? Life choice or addiction?
Is anyone stuffing food in her mouth? Is anyone forcing her not to do her homework? Yeah, it's her choice. We have a term for that, it's called being lazy.

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
Lol this is insane. There are tons of addictions that don't cause withdrawal symptoms.

P2W and the others are just trying to look out for some of the people who make the game a priority over their real lives and don't take care of themselves. There are people in the FGC who ruin their lives over a game nobody will be playing in a few years
Those addictions can be cured by therapy...but those ppl CHOOSE their poison, so I have no pity for ppl like that...stop enabling ppl and making excuses for ppl who play victim...act like an adult plz.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
no one is physically dependent on videogames...until we see someone with "withdrawl" symptoms IT IS ALWAYS A CHOICE!!!
There's more to it than that. Physical addiction is symptomatic to substance dependence but there's broader spectrum addictions that are linked to compulsive, unhealthy, harmful, maladaptive behavior and neurology.

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
There's more to it than that. Physical addiction is symptomatic to substance dependence but there's broader spectrum addiction that's linked to compulsive behavior and neurology.
therapy helps ppl who need help. if you want to be addicted u only have yourself to blame. Take responsibility for YOUR LIFE...

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
therapy helps ppl who need help. if you want to be addicted u only have yourself to blame. Take responsibility for YOUR LIFE...
Accountability and self-awareness are critical components of treating someone with addiction sure. It's still defined as addiction however despite the addictive behavior manifesting as maladaptive life choices.

Is anyone stuffing food in her mouth? Is anyone forcing her not to do her homework? Yeah, it's her choice. We have a term for that, it's called being lazy.
Is anyone forcing someone to take fetanyl or heroin? I am not going to write a book discussing neurophysiological feedback loops or why a dog hears a bell and gets excited or the beep of a shock collar and gets very agitated. Why do people like sex? At a basic level it is a form of conditioning. A huge debate in medicine is where is the line btw being lazy/doing what is easy and actions guided by our brains feedback loops. A common one people hear about is dopamine. It is just one of 100's that are known. Why do people play fighting games? Most are chasing prestige. Some will lose 10 ranked sets in a row, win 1 and get off by thinking they are better than someone else.

The main point is, video games can/have literally destroyed peoples lives because or vairied reasons. Some being poor choices, some addicted, some being fed a bunch of bullshit by community leaders the same way a bad guidance councilor leads a young and trusting mind to do something like get a college degree that has no end game.

The only thing that separates us from animals is our ability to be self aware. The ability to go against the ID urges bc of consequences.

The view you just describes is a very superficial and uneducated pathway that is shared by the majority of social media and stupid millenials.

see above post. It is not this simple for some. Believe me I am one of the first to tell people to stop being fucking lazy and make better choices. Some do not listen, some listen but cannot put down the controller bc of addiction, some keep the controller in their hand bc they are fed a bunch of bullshit about this being a career path. I agree with you but you have to know it is not that simple for people that have a neurophysiological addiction and need professional help. unfortunate this career in video games does not always = health insurance. so most go without help. I am sure there is something in your life you can't do without? Food for example? That is how bad true addiction is my friend.

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
Is anyone forcing someone to take fetanyl or heroin? I am not going to write a book discussing neurophysiological feedback loops or why a dog hears a bell and gets excited or the beep of a shock collar and gets very agitated. Why do people like sex? At a basic level it is a form of conditioning. A huge debate in medicine is where is the line btw being lazy/doing what is easy and actions guided by our brains feedback loops. A common one people hear about is dopamine. It is just one of 100's that are known. Why do people play fighting games? Most are chasing prestige. Some will lose 10 ranked sets in a row, win 1 and get off by thinking they are better than someone else.

The main point is, video games can/have literally destroyed peoples lives because or vairied reasons. Some being poor choices, some addicted, some being fed a bunch of bullshit by community leaders the same way a bad guidance councilor leads a young and trusting mind to do something like get a college degree that has no end game.

The only thing that separates us from animals is our ability to be self aware. The ability to go against the ID urges bc of consequences.

The view you just describes is a very superficial and uneducated pathway that is shared by the majority of social media and stupid millenials.
Plz dont compare video games and opioids its comparing apples and oranges.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
No offense, but some people have a pretty simplistic understanding of how addiction works. Maybe read up a little bit more on the subject before spewing out false statements.
By that 'logic' I'm assuming gambling addiction doesn't exist either.

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?

Plz dont compare video games and opioid
Lol man nobody is arguing this point. We are all in agreement. We are disagreeing with your line about how something isn't addicting if it doesn't produce physical withdrawal symptoms
Dont agree then, good luck with you pity party, little whiny baby ;)

No offense, but some people have a pretty simplistic understanding of how addiction works. Maybe read up a little bit more on the subject before spewing out false statements.
By that 'logic' I'm assuming gambling addiction doesn't exist either.
Ya. Its funny seeing people post things like "make better decisions". Hopefully this thread will educate them a little.

no one should have to tell you that mr "high IQ"
This is the problem with most "low IQ" people. They do not realize they are dumb and cannot see the writing on the wall. Unfortunately that is the same way addiction works for some. Their defense mechanism is defensiveness like you are displaying. So what are you? Dumb or addicted?

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
Yes I can and I will. It is not the video game or the gambling slot machine/poker. It is the chemical loop in the brain. It is the end result of a feel good. How does an opioid work again? lmao
Opioids create physical dependence for abusers...so no they arent the same...smh...if you dont understand that im just gonna ignore u...good luck! Youve been added to my ignore list TROLL POSTER!!!

3kCle

Noob
Plz dont compare video games and opioid

Dont agree then, good luck with you pity party, little whiny baby ;)
Lol I'm not personally addicted so I am not sure where this is coming from. I guess I'll let you stick to your moronic views

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator

Ah yes, we're just like animals but we can think! We are nothing like animals, we not only have superior cognitive abilities but we also have a conscience and the ability to rationalize.

Not sure if you have any training in psychology, but I do and you are calling me a stupid millennial (indirectly I guess but still) when you are trying to blame addiction on the products people get addicted to. The problem comes from the person themselves IF you get addicted, you have deeper issues and deeper problems you're using this addiction to hide/ignore. What does ignoring issues come from? Laziness! Something that is actually the biggest problem that people have today.

Video games don't destroy people's lives, people LET video games destroy their lives.

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
That's like saying "Depression doesn't show physical symptoms, so it isn't really an illness, people choose to be sad"...

Hopefully that's not how you think.
Doesnt know difference between withdrawl symptoms, and depression symptoms smh....

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Ah yes, we're just like animals but we can think! We are nothing like animals, we not only have superior cognitive abilities but we also have a conscience and the ability to rationalize.

Not sure if you have any training in psychology, but I do and you are calling me a stupid millennial (indirectly I guess but still) when you are trying to blame addiction on the products people get addicted to. The problem comes from the person themselves IF you get addicted, you have deeper issues and deeper problems you're using this addiction to hide/ignore. What does ignoring issues come from? Laziness! Something that is actually the biggest problem that people have today.

Video games don't destroy people's lives, people LET video games destroy their lives.
agreed with ..... the power of choice , this gift that God gave to us, can be used to goodness or evil .... life is all about choices, decisions .... decisions .... hehe ..... even not making nothing to solve a problem, it's a decision on itself so, a choice you decided : "I decide to not decide about solving that issue, hehe" ..... :p:D

3kCle

Noob

People also LET fentanyl, heroin, gambling, and food ruin their lives. The common thread being ADDICTION. Trying to rationalize all of these potential issues as "laziness" without diving into the root causes is, ironically, extremely lazy.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
From my experience, most of those people, if they are wise, attend college while playing video games in their free time, usually over the summer. For example, I practiced Mortal Kombat 9 six to seven hours a day before my top 8 run at EVO, but I kept up with my education.

The problem for any 30 year old person with no college degree or job experience is the first question at any job interview that does not involve gaming. You will be asked "What have you been doing?" and if your answer includes "Playing video games competitively", you will be laughed out of the interview.

This is reality. Everything else is fantasy or delusion.
I’d say the vast majority of people here have jobs.

Outside of that, there are plenty of 30 year olds in America without college degrees. Only one third of Americans over the age of 25 have a college degree.

This has nothing to do with addiction — it’s just life choices, the same ones other people make who aren’t playing video games.