Ex Aura Or Ex Aura

• Ex Parry

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Ex Aura

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Please tell me you guys just watched noble illusions using unbreakable in the kombat cup just now. He could have wont but didnt go for optimal damage and he dropped combos :/
Didn't watch him doing that. I was busy playing a Portal-like game, Attractio. If he did, I'd love to see if they could upload his gameplay there.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
As promised, here's some footage of me playing Unbreakable. Like I said before, it isn't the best I've ever played by a long shot. I wasn't confirming much and made a lot of stupid mistakes, but the overall gameplan should be clear.

I killed myself half the time trying to anti air Ermac mostly, which is what frustrates me the most about that match up.

Last edited:

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
I don't understand why so few people use f4xxaura as a meaty in the corner.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
I really don't think its that hard to time, and it leads to so many options + chip.
It highly depends on whether or not the opponent decides to delay wake up or not. If you don't time it 100% correctly, they get up for free or have an opportunity to armor.

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
As promised, here's some footage of me playing Unbreakable. Like I said before, it isn't the best I've ever played by a long shot. I wasn't confirming much and made a lot of stupid mistakes, but the overall gameplan should be clear.

I killed myself half the time trying to anti air Ermac mostly, which is what frustrates me the most about that match up.

Nice parry after b12 but why do always run or pressure after a knockdown in the corner. And jump in from time to time after ending with slide. Also instead of special canceling into parry after 123, try do it as a Manuel. The cancel is to risky, unless you were doing it by accident then nvm

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
I don't understand why so few people use f4xxaura as a meaty in the corner.
The best way to incorporate this is after ending with burst or slide. The burst gives a quick restand if tech rolled and the slide gives a perfect time to throw out the f4 but like taco said, it is very risky. And you can also do it off of a deep njp and sometimes the njk

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
Nice parry after b12 but why do always run or pressure after a knockdown in the corner. And jump in from time to time after ending with slide. Also instead of special canceling into parry after 123, try do it as a Manuel. The cancel is to risky, unless you were doing it by accident then nvm
The cancel was by accident. I was playing on pad, which I never really do. The jump overs in the corner were wake up reads. Sub can't parry the soul blast. I've found that running over an opponent on the ground makes them more anxious lol. No real reason.

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
The cancel was by accident. I was playing on pad, which I never really do. The jump overs in the corner were wake up reads. Sub can't parry the soul blast. I've found that running over an opponent on the ground makes them more anxious lol. No real reason.
Overall, good gameplay. I would just suggest to be a little more patient in the corner and use backdash to bait things

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf

It's fascinating watching you play UB, as you play like he's GM (no surprise there I suppose). What I mean is that you don't go for Aura links and you end in F12 to get up Aura, like you're putting up Klone. I'm not knocking the play style, as you do well, it's just completely different than I play him. It's also interesting to note that neither Illusions (in the recent Kombat Cup footage) or Shujinkydink (in his YouTube videos) go for max damage. Perhaps this is because they're new with the character or perhaps it's as I mentioned before: trying to do this character's max damage online really isn't practical.

Either way, fun to watch and thanks for the share.

Unrelated, but I played GM for the first time ever and, no disrespect to GM mains, but after having only played UB and post patch Cryo, it felt like I was on easy street. Suddenly this character's buttons make sense to me. He really was designed around having the Klone.

Jeffrey Wolf

It highly depends on whether or not the opponent decides to delay wake up or not. If you don't time it 100% correctly, they get up for free or have an opportunity to armor.
In my experience, the best way to use F4~Aura, while staying safe, is to use a meaty NJP on the opponent's wake-up and then go into F4. Of course, there's a gap between the two, so the opponent could armor, but unless they're Ethereal or Smoke, that's now too scary these days.

Tanno

Indeed. It s better to do b12 and f42 before aura, since they are stunning strings to give some time for the aura.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
It's fascinating watching you play UB, as you play like he's GM (no surprise there I suppose). What I mean is that you don't go for Aura links and you end in F12 to get up Aura, like you're putting up Klone. I'm not knocking the play style, as you do well, it's just completely different than I play him. It's also interesting to note that neither Illusions (in the recent Kombat Cup footage) or Shujinkydink (in his YouTube videos) go for max damage. Perhaps this is because they're new with the character or perhaps it's as I mentioned before: trying to do this character's max damage online really isn't practical.

Either way, fun to watch and thanks for the share.

Unrelated, but I played GM for the first time ever and, no disrespect to GM mains, but after having only played UB and post patch Cryo, it felt like I was on easy street. Suddenly this character's buttons make sense to me. He really was designed around having the Klone.
The sole reason I don't go for any aura links is my inability to connect them online. You're right about me playing him a lot like Grandmaster, but that's because I see aura as a damage buff more than anything else. I want to get that thing up, mix and get the damage. I really like that he doesn't take any chip damage while aura is on, but you're still giving the opponent meter (which is hard enough to come by as unbreakable), so I'd rather stay on the offensive.

Basically what I do online (where I mostly play Unbreakable at the moment) is try to stay away from tight links, but still get aura up for offense, without sacrificing damage by using aura mid combo.

You're 100% right about Grandmaster. That character is so stupid... Now that hardly anybody can really punish the clone in a meaningful way, he's much too strong. He destroys 90% of the cast, but still manages to have those match ups where he's basically useless lol. Unless my tournament life depends on it (and I doubt even then), I don't see myself ever picking Grandmaster again.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Indeed. It s better to do b12 and f42 before aura, since they are stunning strings to give some time for the aura.
This is what I was talking about in the other thread. b12xxaura and f42xxaura on block are asking to get punished - as someone who makes so many threads/does helpful research about the character like parry properties, you don't know the character's frame data...

Tanno

This is what I was talking about in the other thread. b12xxaura and f42xxaura on block are asking to get punished - as someone who makes so many threads/does helpful research about the character like parry properties, you don't know the character's frame data...
Indeed I don't know the frame data, because I'm not the math guy here, and this is why I leave the frame data stuff to you guys, who know about them. I never was good with math, and I'll never be in the future. So, to let you know.

I only know by feeling if anything is safe/slow/fast/etc or not, if you know what do I mean.

Jeffrey Wolf

The sole reason I don't go for any aura links is my inability to connect them online. You're right about me playing him a lot like Grandmaster, but that's because I see aura as a damage buff more than anything else. I want to get that thing up, mix and get the damage. I really like that he doesn't take any chip damage while aura is on, but you're still giving the opponent meter (which is hard enough to come by as unbreakable), so I'd rather stay on the offensive.

Basically what I do online (where I mostly play Unbreakable at the moment) is try to stay away from tight links, but still get aura up for offense, without sacrificing damage by using aura mid combo.

You're 100% right about Grandmaster. That character is so stupid... Now that hardly anybody can really punish the clone in a meaningful way, he's much too strong. He destroys 90% of the cast, but still manages to have those match ups where he's basically useless lol. Unless my tournament life depends on it (and I doubt even then), I don't see myself ever picking Grandmaster again.
I completely get your reasoning. Perhaps I'll give UB another go online, using this more consistent methodology.

As for GM though, let me get this right, you're not going to play with him now? Don't get me wrong, I'm all about being a low tier hero (thus, all the work I did on UB from way back), but to switch away from a character you know very well when money and placings are on the line? You're sounding like Salt Face, my friend =)

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
Yes and no. If there's one thing I've learned from playing fighing games over the years, it's that frame data isn't everything. While b12 or f42 aura is indeed 'asking for a punish', you can occassionally catch people off guard who are expecting frost bomb or slide instead. It's their turn regardless, but at least you have aura up to negate chip damage.

I've gotten away with the craziest things (c.q. crossovers after 123 because the opponent was expecting a special cancel), and although you can't rely on this to work at all, you can get away with it at times. Whether or not that's a smart thing to do is a different discussion.