What's new

Future Tournaments

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
In the future, which of these things would you like to see in MK2 tournaments?

Money/Prizes? (Here's an easy one to start you off)
...with the money/prizes, I am looking to see if you would be willing to pay a small entry fee. If not, we will continue to look for donations to fund the prizes.

Random Select?

PS3, Kaillera, or both?

Handicaps? (players who are clearly better get a small handicap of some sort)

Teams?

Mirror Match?

Special Moves?

Also, what specifically would you like to see improved in future tourneys?

X820

Noob
Personally I feel that MK2 is balanced enough to say that this should be random only to determine who comes out on top without whoring mileena,jax or liu kang.

Giving out handicaps sounds harsh and a bit unfair to me really..

Eventhough I do see why people would like to play on a console, it's not ideal in most cases, as MAME is far better connection wise.

People should go out of their way to make sure that they have the best possible connection they can offer during the tournament, especially if any kind of reward is involved.

Just my 2 ct's :)

btbb99

Noob
i would not mind payin a fee to get in, i think the fee should be small though, something like 5 or 10 bucks, mirror matches i would say no to that, handicaps are insulting to the lesser player, i would never join a tourment where there are no special moves, i dont really like the idea of teams because if 2 top players end up getting matched up it might be a little unfair. i like 2 ideas, either random select or this, the first match player1 and player2 random select then the second match the players then switch charcters, third match random select again then fourth match switch again and repeat this throughout tournament, its as fair as it can get to me. also i think the number of matches should go up a bit, instaed of havind best of 13 it should be best of 21 or 25, i think it gives you more time to adjust yourself to the other players style. i have both ps3 and kaillera so i can play both but i think kaillera is better. much better connection imo

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
btbb99 said:
i would not mind payin a fee to get in, i think the fee should be small though, something like 5 or 10 bucks, mirror matches i would say no to that, handicaps are insulting to the lesser player, i would never join a tourment where there are no special moves, i dont really like the idea of teams because if 2 top players end up getting matched up it might be a little unfair. i like 2 ideas, either random select or this, the first match player1 and player2 random select then the second match the players then switch charcters, third match random select again then fourth match switch again and repeat this throughout tournament, its as fair as it can get to me. also i think the number of matches should go up a bit, instaed of havind best of 13 it should be best of 21 or 25, i think it gives you more time to adjust yourself to the other players style. i have both ps3 and kaillera so i can play both but i think kaillera is better. much better connection imo
I'll tell you now that 21-25 matches is way too many for one series. Imagine playing a lag-ridden series for a full 25 games. I'd quit before the halfway mark for sure. The GVN Summer Jam tourney was best of 3-5 for a reason: To ensure things were done in a timely manner.

One thing I know I will change in the future is to ensure games are done via P2P if at all possible. Server play is just not very reliable all the time.

Regarding handicaps, it's like an amateur golfer going head to head against Phil Mickelson. Does anyone on this site think they would stand a snowball's chance in hell against him in a 4-day, 72 hole tournament? I highly doubt it. With a handicap, you have a much better chance of winning. It's the price the better player pays for being a top tier player. They should be seen more as a compliment to the player receiving one; indicating their tier level. The only thing that would be difficult would be determining to what degree of a handicap to institute and being objectionable about it.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
btbb99 said:
who determines who the top tier players are?
If something like this were to happen, it would have to be a group determination by all entered contestants, IMO.

I haven't been in a team tournament but I think it sounds more entertaining. Example, team DCI vs team Scheiss. Random in the game is always a good idea but if its not why not do something like pick any player you want at first (both players) and if that player can't beat his opponent best/main and one of them wins 3x in a row they have to pick their weakest player to balance it out after. Example, my main is Jax and I win 3x in a row against btbb9 I have to pick my weakest after those 3 streaks or use random select. The other player keeps using anyone he wants until he turns the tables on you and beats you 3x in a row. Hope its not something you already thought of or done cause I been away for some time. No handicap matches, IMO. You get better by getting ass whooped. :)

Something different too at the end of the battles, say there are 15 battles. The player who won the 14th battle their opponent picks the same character. Example, I won the 14 battle with Reptile, my opponent has to pick Reptile too. Sneaking in one mirror match at the end.

Something I would like to see improve for future tournaments is sort players that lag with each other. Its not fun and really boring. Say btbb9 and I lag, we should go against others who don't. Unfortunately if its that laggy then maybe they shouldn't go toe to toe in the future. A tournament where only people with smooth connection are able to compete, probably hosting 2 tourneys. This means its possible to host kaillera and PS3 tourneys at the same time? Not sure how that would go but its something. I can only do PS3 right now.

I would really like the idea of a team tournament, if you set it up the right way. It would have to be set up in a way to ensure fairness and so there doesnt end up some super team.

btbb99

Noob
GonzOxthexDoctoR said:
I would really like the idea of a team tournament, if you set it up the right way. It would have to be set up in a way to ensure fairness and so there doesnt end up some super team.
i agree that if we did a team tourney it would be nice to to have it as fair as possible but i just don't no how that going to happen without pissing somebody off. somebody will bitch and complain that they are in the lesser tier of players whether they really belong there or not. i'm just saying i wouldn't want to be the guy that determines that lol

btbb99 said:
i agree that if we did a team tourney it would be nice to to have it as fair as possible but i just don't no how that going to happen without pissing somebody off. somebody will bitch and complain that they are in the lesser tier of players whether they really belong there or not. i'm just saying i wouldn't want to be the guy that determines that lol
Perhaps a rank match would be good instead of doing random fight cards out of the hat. Mix it in with skilled and average players. I consider myself a good player, not best, great or elite. However, having good players against elites would be unfair, IMO. Just balance all the competitors so they wouldn't be in a disadvantage.

btbb99

Noob
people are going to hate me for this but how about a tournament of COUNTERPICKING lol, yes counterpicking, here are the rules, player1 picks first then player 2 can counterpick player 1 with whoever he wants. next match reverse player2 picks whover he wants then player1 can counterpick with whoever he wants, but here's the catch, no player can be used be either character more then once so things might get confusing in the end when its your turn to counterpick your opponent you might actually not be counterpicking him at all lol. and for the 13th match we could do either random select or pick whoever you want!

i think this would take some strategy to win as well, for instance lets say the first match your opponent picks reptile, the obvious counterpick would be mileena but the thing you should ask yourself is.. should i waste using millena now against rep or should i use sub against rep and save mileena for jax or kang?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
A couple things.

I don't mind paying to enter a tournament at all, but if I am paying to play, there is NO WAY that I'm going to be doing random select.

Team tournament sounds awesome.

I would like to have the tournaments played on either MAME p2p OR on the PS3, not both.

I also don't like how we have to play the full 13 games in a first to 7 set. I don't see the benefit to that at all. How can there be a tiebreaker? Player A beats Player B and moves on, simple. Win 7 games, it's done. That's how it's done in every game anywhere in the world, play a best of whatever, once that number is reached, that player wins.

In a free tournament, I really enjoy the random select. It forces you to play the matchup with whoever your character is and makes you a better player. But if I'm paying, I'm going to pick who I want however many times I want and can and will counterpick. When money is on the line and you pick Scorpion, I'm going Liu every time.

X820

Noob
btbb99 said:
people are going to hate me for this but how about a tournament of COUNTERPICKING lol, yes counterpicking, here are the rules, player1 picks first then player 2 can counterpick player 1 with whoever he wants. next match reverse player2 picks whover he wants then player1 can counterpick with whoever he wants, but here's the catch, no player can be used be either character more then once so things might get confusing in the end when its your turn to counterpick your opponent you might actually not be counterpicking him at all lol. and for the 13th match we could do either random select or pick whoever you want!

i think this would take some strategy to win as well, for instance lets say the first match your opponent picks reptile, the obvious counterpick would be mileena but the thing you should ask yourself is.. should i waste using millena now against rep or should i use sub against rep and save mileena for jax or kang?
Sounds like fun!

Not sure for a (prize)tourney though.. The obvious counterpick for Reptile = random select! LOL :p

X820

Noob
Konqrr said:
A couple things.

I don't mind paying to enter a tournament at all, but if I am paying to play, there is NO WAY that I'm going to be doing random select.

Team tournament sounds awesome.

I would like to have the tournaments played on either MAME p2p OR on the PS3, not both.

I also don't like how we have to play the full 13 games in a first to 7 set. I don't see the benefit to that at all. How can there be a tiebreaker? Player A beats Player B and moves on, simple. Win 7 games, it's done. That's how it's done in every game anywhere in the world, play a best of whatever, once that number is reached, that player wins.

In a free tournament, I really enjoy the random select. It forces you to play the matchup with whoever your character is and makes you a better player. But if I'm paying, I'm going to pick who I want however many times I want and can and will counterpick. When money is on the line and you pick Scorpion, I'm going Liu every time.
You're right, to some extend..

I mean, this isnt the Las Vegas Poker finals, with 1million dollars on the table LOL.

The cash prizes are small, and in the end people are supposed to play for fun, not blood.

btbb99

Noob
X820 said:
Sounds like fun!

Not sure for a (prize)tourney though.. The obvious counterpick for Reptile = random select! LOL :p
thanks x, yeah i this could be something diff then we ever done before, i think it would get interesting after like fight 6 because then you might wanna counterpick the other guy with lets say jax but you can't because you already used him so you have to pick someone else. but your right thought this would definitely not involve money lol

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Here's an idea too. Best of 13 (you don't have to play all 13, just first to 7). You have to use preset a lineup of each of the 12 characters before the match begins. Each player submits their lineup to the contest coordinator (so there is no unfair counterpicking at the last minute). Then the coordinator sends each player lineup to their opponent and the games are played out. You could gameplan and strategize your picks around your best character vs their best, or save a good pick for later in the match when you will need it most. If it goes a full 13 games, the 13th game is a random select fight.

Just a thought.

btbb99

Noob
i really like the idea dciguy, it would be interesting knowing the character matchups before the fight begins, this way you could prepare yourself how your going to handle each fight, count me in

dciguy01 said:
Here's an idea too. Best of 13 (you don't have to play all 13, just first to 7). You have to use preset a lineup of each of the 12 characters before the match begins. Each player submits their lineup to the contest coordinator (so there is no unfair counterpicking at the last minute). Then the coordinator sends each player lineup to their opponent and the games are played out. You could gameplan and strategize your picks around your best character vs their best, or save a good pick for later in the match when you will need it most. If it goes a full 13 games, the 13th game is a random select fight.

Just a thought.
Thats a cool and a creative idea dci! If you only gotta win 7 tho wouldent it be wise to just load up the top of your linup with Jax, Mileena, Liu ect... to stack wins going into the later rounds. There would prolly be alot of mirror matches

I had kind of a cool idea for a tourney a while back but its pretty unpractical, I dont know if anyone would even be interested in a tourney like it and it would most defininetly have to be free to enter.

But here it is.... I always thought it would be cool to do like an actual "mortal kombat" instead of the current format.
What I mean is 12 guys, each guys is responsible for one fighter.
So lemme use myself for example, say I pick Reptile and my opponent is Cage It would be 13 matches of Reptile Vs. Cage. Winning fighter advances. (obviously)

Winner and their fighter would be the champions of mortal kombat

Obviously having reptile or any other low tier character is a huge disadvantage but it doesnt really bother me we could just draw matchups out of a hat or I figured out a way to split up the fighters that everyone has a fair shot in the first round.

I ran this idea past my buddy and he came up with an interesting thought as well. A really great character to pick in this tourney would be shang because of his ability to essentially counter pick everyone. So this would have to be something discussed further. But some ideas are Shang has only 1 transform to start (chosen by random) and then every character he beats he gets. In a 12 man tourney that would give him like 4 by the finals. Or simply he just gets em' all. Or he gets access to all eliminated fighters

idk Its a legit CRAZY with alot of flaws in it, but if everyone added a little to it and had some ideas for it. We could make a killer tournament this way.

People would have to be good sports about it though. If theres 12 people who just wanna be mileena jax and liu kang it'll never work. Just pick who you like and try to win with him. It would be EPIC if a low tier fighter could pull it off.
Id be more then willing to take reptile, hes my favorite anyways and since it would have to be a free tourney I really dont care if he sucks It would still be fun for me.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
It seems like the team tournament idea is getting the most approval. I'll try to think of some ways of making it a possibility.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
any kind of rules or whatever im fine with.. it would be nice if a tourney was held on a saturday or sunday.. seems like u guys just do friday night.. hopefully some one actually reads my post here and considers a saturday or sunday thing. i posted in 2 other threads and just got ignored.. feedback is always a good thing.....

btbb99

Noob
@tim static, tim are you guys going to hold another mk2 tournament in philly on dec 5th? if so, david gem said he would definitely be there and dookiebrain and fusion said the same, i'm pretty sure when dciguy finds out that those guys are going that he be going again too, this would be a great mk2 get together and hopefully when other mk2 diehards find out that david gem, dciguy, dookiebrain, fusion, and btbb99 will be there that they will get there asses out there too!

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
btbb99 said:
@tim static, tim are you guys going to hold another mk2 tournament in philly on dec 5th? if so, david gem said he would definitely be there and dookiebrain and fusion said the same, i'm pretty sure when dciguy finds out that those guys are going that he be going again too, this would be a great mk2 get together and hopefully when other mk2 diehards find out that david gem, dciguy, dookiebrain, fusion, and btbb99 will be there that they will get there asses out there too!
It's going to be very hard for me to make it out to NEC this year. My final exams are being held close to that date. Since I'll be graduating a couple weeks later, I need all the time possible to study for them and maintain my 4.0. I had this same issue last year because of the time of year this tournament annually falls. It won't be a problem next year, but it doesn't look good for 2010. I'll keep you posted throughout the fall.