What's new

Match Footage FT5 Money Match: PTH RM Mr Aquaman (Ares) VS EMPR GRR (Bane) @Defend the North

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Engaging in a nifty first-to-5 money match, check out PTH|RM Mr. Aquaman (Ares) taking on EMPR|GRR (Bane). Taking place at "Defend the North" this past weekend in New York City. Both players have become quite known for their characters and tournament play. What happens when they meet?

edited/promoted by STORMS*

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, Bane's oki doesn't work at all against Ares. And it seems Bane has a really hard time trying to punish Ares' tele on wake up even on a good read.
Grrr gets too flustered fast if his game plan doesn't work, though being as young as he is, it's quite something to see him consistently go all the way to top 8 in tourneys.

@Maxintensity25, how do you have this MU? Is it actually advantageous Ares or just Mr Aquaman outplaying Grrr?

@Mr Aquaman I see us playing 100 games has helped lol
Ahhhh, nvm - no wonder Mr Aquaman seems so comfortable in these matches.

GGA Max

Damn, Bane's oki doesn't work at all against Ares. And it seems Bane has a really hard time trying to punish Ares' tele on wake up even on a good read.
Grrr gets too flustered fast if his game plan doesn't work, though being as young as he is, it's quite something to see him consistently go all the way to top 8 in tourneys.

@Maxintensity25, how do you have this MU? Is it actually advantageous Ares or just Mr Aquaman outplaying Grrr?

No clue. Never played a high level ares.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Honestly theres a big problem among many Banes that lead to differing opinions on MUs because its odd to think about not using all of our tools in an MU.
Some Banes feel characters who slip out of oki are bad for us because we can't oki them, but then theres the other side of the coin, namely we can maximize damage with minimizing the need for advantage enders. Examples are stuff like ending combos in Ring Toss for the highest damage despite it not giving us all the advantage we usually want.

People have to start picking up that MUs can't all be played from the opponent's back. Normally those characters whom have teleports either don't have as high of damage, or don't have as good of keep-away to avoid us (Zatanna is the only one who happens to do decent damage and have good keep-away which is why I won't say she is even). Ares does decently high damage, but he can't keep us out and he has no real way of getting in unless the Bane is asleep at the wheel. Also at level 3, Bane doesn't even have to pay attention since he can f.2.d and it'll autocorrect and reach most options for both Ares and Shazam.

Grr's style is conventional for a lot of opponents because most of them try to fight Bane as though he were anyone else, and the ones who don't often find themselves not sure on how to avoid the big damage or strong oki. There are some opponents who outplay him because they are very aware of how to play Bane's game such as PPJ and Aquaman, and Arma as well since he, himself, has used Bane. However, that's all it is: A style of Bane play. Bipolar is a very grab heavy Bane who uses more lead-ins than raw specials and it works against some opponents who play against Bane trying to beat out his tools directly but its not as good against opponents who abuse Bane's slow start-ups. Max plays a very aggressive Bane that takes full advantage of his large hitbox on moves such as charge and the small windows inbetween blockstrings to bait the opponent into trying to escape his pressure, and punish those who don't using tick throws and high advantage pressure linkers. His biggest problem is opponents who know how to or when to escape, and are able to effectively stay out of that pressure once they are fully out of it.

All Banes have styles, some styles work better against some opponents, but it calls to issue that you can't base a MU number off of one Bane's performance.

Honestly theres a big problem among many Banes that lead to differing opinions on MUs because its odd to think about not using all of our tools in an MU.
Some Banes feel characters who slip out of oki are bad for us because we can't oki them, but then theres the other side of the coin, namely we can maximize damage with minimizing the need for advantage enders. Examples are stuff like ending combos in Ring Toss for the highest damage despite it not giving us all the advantage we usually want.

People have to start picking up that MUs can't all be played from the opponent's back. Normally those characters whom have teleports either don't have as high of damage, or don't have as good of keep-away to avoid us (Zatanna is the only one who happens to do decent damage and have good keep-away which is why I won't say she is even). Ares does decently high damage, but he can't keep us out and he has no real way of getting in unless the Bane is asleep at the wheel. Also at level 3, Bane doesn't even have to pay attention since he can f.2.d and it'll autocorrect and reach most options for both Ares and Shazam.

Grr's style is conventional for a lot of opponents because most of them try to fight Bane as though he were anyone else, and the ones who don't often find themselves not sure on how to avoid the big damage or strong oki. There are some opponents who outplay him because they are very aware of how to play Bane's game such as PPJ and Aquaman, and Arma as well since he, himself, has used Bane. However, that's all it is: A style of Bane play. Bipolar is a very grab heavy Bane who uses more lead-ins than raw specials and it works against some opponents who play against Bane trying to beat out his tools directly but its not as good against opponents who abuse Bane's slow start-ups. Max plays a very aggressive Bane that takes full advantage of his large hitbox on moves such as charge and the small windows inbetween blockstrings to bait the opponent into trying to escape his pressure, and punish those who don't using tick throws and high advantage pressure linkers. His biggest problem is opponents who know how to or when to escape, and are able to effectively stay out of that pressure once they are fully out of it.

All Banes have styles, some styles work better against some opponents, but it calls to issue that you can't base a MU number off of one Bane's performance.
In all fairness, I'm on the f2d bandwagon. something about 60% on 2 hits just feels right, but I get your point. Each of us play differently so matchups turn out the same way.

@Grr There's a way to help shut Ares down in the corner. Basically finish with a MB dp, or a hard knockdown in general. Dash up and choose your option, you can reverse his inputs depending on the situation. Body splash will cross up, and j1 won't. It's mustards tech, and it's really relevant in this matchup.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
@Grr There's a way to help shut Ares down in the corner. Basically finish with a MB dp, or a hard knockdown in general. Dash up and choose your option, you can reverse his inputs depending on the situation. Body splash will cross up, and j1 won't. It's mustards tech, and it's really relevant in this matchup.
Also if you know him down in the corner, you can still do the old Aug tech since his only really good option in that situation is to teleport out or godsmack away.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter

this is one of the MU's i've played the most as Ares I personally believe 6-4 offline 5-5 online

Sami

Noob
Doesn't reversing his inputs just mean he gets 1 teleport instead of another? You've got db3 or df3, both of which have full invincibility on start-up. I don't know how invincible Godsmack is but that doesn't have any directional requirements unless you want to change the range.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Doesn't reversing his inputs just mean he gets 1 teleport instead of another? You've got db3 or df3, both of which have full invincibility on start-up. I don't know how invincible Godsmack is but that doesn't have any directional requirements unless you want to change the range.
this is correct, both inputs for away teleport come out no matter if my direction is reversed, online wu timing i miss alot but offline its a breeze. normal away tele is db3 hold foward, reversed i get df3 hold back, which is an away teleoport behind, its a win win situation, online like i said this is alittle harder because WU's are retarded

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
this is correct, both inputs for away teleport come out no matter if my direction is reversed, online wu timing i miss alot but offline its a breeze. normal away tele is db3 hold foward, reversed i get df3 hold back, which is an away teleoport behind, its a win win situation, online like i said this is alittle harder because WU's are retarded
f.2.d?

Isn't one super far teleport and one right behind? So on the jump he wouldn't still take the body splash?

@Mr Aquaman I CHALLENGE YOU TO A FT5 ON CAT NIP STREAM .. YOU WILL BOW TO ME!!!!!! YOU WILL TASTE NO VICTORY !!!! YOU ARE ARES!!! GOD OF FAILURE!!!!! DECLINE AND BOW . REFUSE TO BOW AND YOU WILL WITNESS THE SAME FATALITY YOUR LEADER ASTRONAUT DID MUAHAHAHA