What's new

FT3 or FT2

What´s better for Kombat League? First to 5 or First to 3?

• FT3

Votes: 40 69.0%
  • FT2

Votes: 18 31.0%

• Total voters

NariTuba

disMember
Personally I liked FT3 much better. It seems to me it allows for better gameplay to arise and filters out rando tactics. If it was implemented because of people getting stuck in long sets vs players with bad connections then please NRS just implement proper connection filters and give us back FT3. Seems like a very odd change to me, what do you all think?

@Juggs sorry to disturb you but could you fix the poll so it only gives two options (FT3 and FT2) or delete this thread so I can redo it? Im unable to do either. Thank you!

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Definitely ft3. The longer the set is, the more likely the better player wins said set. However, ft4 or ft5 is too many for a forced ranked set imo. Ft3 is the perfect middle ground imo and is typically the tournament standard or at least it should be

i think you mean "Best of" and not "First to"
FTx is the same thing as “BOx” or “best of x”

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
FT3 was much better. Not sure why they made this dumb change based on a few whiners. I had so many FT3 sets where I made the proper adjustments in my playstyle and brought it back from 2-0 to 2-3 so this definitely mattered, especially for low tier character players like me playing Sub-Zero.

Bring back FT3 with a wifi filter and increase the amount of points/XP progression to compensate for the longer sets.

NariTuba

disMember
FTx is the same thing as “BOx” or “best of x”
No, Best of 5 means out of 5 games you need to win the majority, meaning 3 games. First to 3 on the other hand means the first player to win 3 games, wins. In a best of 3 you need to win 2. Bo5 = Ft3, Bo3 = Ft2.

The Title of the poll should be "What´s better for Kombat League? First to 3 or First to 2? And the options should be FT3 and FT2. That´s my bad, sorry

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
No, Best of 5 means out of 5 games you need to win the majority, meaning 3 games. First to 3 on the other hand means the first player to win 3 games, wins. In a best of 3 you need to win 2. Bo5 = Ft3, Bo3 = Ft2.

The Title of the poll should be "What´s better for Kombat League? First to 3 or First to 2? And the options should be FT3 and FT2. That´s my bad, sorry
Idk what to tell ya buddy. bo5 is the same thing as ft3, there is literally no difference. In both cases one player HAS to get 3 wins, lol..

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
I don't mind FT2 with the current state of online as it allows me to get out of sets with bad connections more quickly. Fix the netcode and I'll honestly play even FT10s all day.

LEGEND

YES!
Idk what to tell ya buddy. bo5 is the same thing as ft3, there is literally no difference. In both cases one player HAS to get 3 wins, lol..
Thats is exactly what he said. . .

the confusion is that FT3 does not equal BO3, not BO5 vs FT3.

On topic, FT2 is better because FT3 just takes too long. People don't have the time to commit to a potential 5 games of time-outs.

Also, the time it takes to grind to the point of having actually competitive matches is unreal. Placement matches need to be a thing. B3ing over and over with baraka against people that refuse to block or delay wakeup is mad boring.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
I think MK1 should have took the Killer Instinct approach to ranked play where it's ft1 during your placement where you have to play 10 matches & if you're in Bronze or Silver until you are in Gold or Killer where it becomes ft3 unless you're playing Bronze & Silver players. If you made Killer you start off next month in Gold.

Since MK1 has way more ranks than KI, I would have it where it's ft1 for Apprentice to Champion then have ft3 for Master to Elder God. Ft3 is amazing for high competitive play & that's what ranked is supposed to be. If you made Elder God rather than grinding back there each month you start as a Master as you've already proved your abilities & have the time to do ft3s.

I still prefer clan war sets (ft5s) or full sets (ft10s) though but that's not exactly ranked or KL friendly.

@NariTuba You have FT3 on there twice.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Thats is exactly what he said. . .

the confusion is that FT3 does not equal BO3, not BO5 vs FT3.

On topic, FT2 is better because FT3 just takes too long. People don't have the time to commit to a potential 5 games of time-outs.

Also, the time it takes to grind to the point of having actually competitive matches is unreal. Placement matches need to be a thing. B3ing over and over with baraka against people that refuse to block or delay wakeup is mad boring.
Then why is he saying “No” in response to me then? He’s literally explaining what I already said lol

To reiterate, you originally said “I think you mean ‘best of’ and not ‘first to’”. I responded saying there is no difference between “best of X” and “first to X”. Meaning, “best of 5” aka “bo5” is the exact same thing as “first to 3” aka “ft3”.

No one said bo3 = ft3 so not exactly sure where the confusion is here tbh…

Rabid Justice

Your Soul Is Mine
3/5 is a lot better. 2/3 just feel like I'm getting into the match and it's over. Might be me just being a slow learner.

To be honest what kills the game for me is the constant bad connections. 150 ping being the cutoff is nuts when 60 start to affect game play. And why does the game not just drop the connection when it goes for 80 to 500 constantly. I constantly getting hit by stuff that I feel like I'm block.

Would be cool if they would give us an actual ranked mode rather then a skin grind.

rifraf

Noob
Personally, I refuse to play Ranked until they introduce a connection filter. Currently, it's not fun or competitive to play laggy matches. At least Kasual can be fun.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
I only want FT3 if loser can change characters. If they’re going to make you stick with the same character, I’d rather it just be FT2.
I'd support this even though it would become Counterpick City as it happens in tournaments from time-to-time but hey, if you can't deal with getting counterpicked - you shouldn't be playing the competitive mode.

I think MK1 should have took the Killer Instinct approach to ranked play where it's ft1 during your placement where you have to play 10 matches & if you're in Bronze or Silver until you are in Gold or Killer where it becomes ft3 unless you're playing Bronze & Silver players. If you made Killer you start off next month in Gold.

Since MK1 has way more ranks than KI, I would have it where it's ft1 for Apprentice to Champion then have ft3 for Master to Elder God. Ft3 is amazing for high competitive play & that's what ranked is supposed to be. If you made Elder God rather than grinding back there each month you start as a Master as you've already proved your abilities & have the time to do ft3s.

I still prefer clan war sets (ft5s) or full sets (ft10s) though but that's not exactly ranked or KL friendly.

@NariTuba You have FT3 on there twice.
I prefer this method, it seems some more casual players like FT2 and More Competitive players like FT3.
Make the lower ranked up to master FT2 then from Master to Elder God make it FT3.
Be way less of a grind for non pro players and even high level players. You all get your skins and more competitive players get to play people who make reads, MicroDuck, setplay and adapt constantly causing the better player to improve for that win.
All the way up to Master I literally did a two stage gameplan, wiff punish setups into throws on staggers then switched to bait armor and used meaty setplay and they constantly expected the first stage. Now it's FT2 it's way to easy to gimmick opponents out.

I feel there isn't enough time to Adapt at higher levels of play. I'd even go as far as to say once you hit Elder God it should switch to FT5
When you see high level beef sets it's either FT7 but usually FT10.

I hope they can switch it to FT3 at Master and above and should have different KL Modes
Where you can choose FT10, FT2 and FT3 from start and they have different XP rewards accordingly. Master and Above FT3 giving the Legendary Skins.

What does everyone think of that. I wanna hear from both people who like FT2 and those who prefer FT3.
Also what kind of player are you, do you compete in online tournaments locals or majors? If so how do you place in them?
Or are you a casual that just has fun online?

Then why is he saying “No” in response to me then? He’s literally explaining what I already said lol

To reiterate, you originally said “I think you mean ‘best of’ and not ‘first to’”. I responded saying there is no difference between “best of X” and “first to X”. Meaning, “best of 5” aka “bo5” is the exact same thing as “first to 3” aka “ft3”.

No one said bo3 = ft3 so not exactly sure where the confusion is here tbh…
BOx = FTx and BO5 = FT3 are entirely different statements, and you said the former, which is where the confusion is.
If you actually meant the latter statement it was not communicated.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
BOx = FTx and BO5 = FT3 are entirely different statements, and you said the former, which is where the confusion is.
If you actually meant the latter statement it was not communicated.
In the context of what I was responding to — (I think you mean “Best of” and not “First to”) — I was saying that there’s no reason to change “FTx” to “BOx” because it ultimately means the same thing. The “x” isn’t the important part, because what I was responding to had nothing to do with that. I didn’t provide a # example because I didn’t think I needed to. I was at work at the time so was just making a quick response, but I also didn’t think it needed to be elaborated on because I felt given the context it was obvious what I was saying and I also assumed most people would be smart enough to realize I wasn’t saying “best of 3” is the same thing as “first to 3”, which makes absolutely no sense, lol.

So now that we’ve gone over this wayy too many times, let’s stick to the actual topic
@Juggs sorry to disturb you but could you fix the poll so it only gives two options (FT3 and FT2) or delete this thread so I can redo it? Im unable to do either. Thank you!
I took out all the other options and left “FT2” and “FT3”. I didn’t even realize that there were 2 “FT3” options in the poll, lol. But anyway, it’s fixed now.

But yeah, I’m not sure why NRS changed KL sets to be FT2 instead of FT3 other than the fact that maybe a bunch of the more casual players were complaining. If that was the actual reason and it wasn’t for any other reason, I’d at least understand it. And as I said, as far as what I prefer, it’s definitely FT3. As you said in the OP, the more matches there are, the more likely it is that the better player is going to win. Just like with fewer games, the more random, crazy or gimmicky player is more likely to win. I understand the argument of adapting quickly being a skill and a sign of a good player, and I’d agree. But adapting within potentially only 2 matches, especially when it’s online and latency becomes a factor, I feel that’s just going to send the wrong message to certain players who may be more gimmicky. That said, FT2 is at least better than just 1 match which is what ranked matches used to be in all fighting games. And I don’t even think you could rematch the opponent in FG’s until relatively recently.

Anyway, long story short, FT3 imo is the perfect amount of matches for both ranked sets and also tournament sets. It’s not too few, but also not too many. It’s the Goldilocks of # of matches!

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
At this point, if it's at all possible, you might as well just put in a toggle for FT2 or FT3 and be done with it.

Personally FT3 is my jam, at least for MK1.

Thingy

Retired account
I wish Kasual matches at least had a First to 3 and First to 5 option. I know that is off subject, but just a thought.

First to 2 in ranked is whatever. But give us options.

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
I'm torn. I loved ft3, but with the number of laggy ass wifi warriors in KL right now, I'm very glad to be done with them sooner. Ft3 with a well-connected, good player tho? That was just chef's kiss. But then again, ft2 gives me more of that "one more set!" craving...

As you can see, I'm torn lol. If they add a wifi filter, I'd absolutely prefer ft3. Ideally, I think they should give you a second menu after you enter KL to play either ft2 or ft3, so both players are in agreement. But that will never happen

josephf5

Noob
Does anyone feel like their overall win to loss ratio has changed because of the change from FT3 to FT2. I feel like I win pretty much as often in FT2 as I did in FT3, and I’m at the same rank I made it to last season(God). So I don’t know if it really makes that big of a difference.