What's new

Frost's Future

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
How do you legitimately do instant air dashes, I played marvel so know what tiger-kneeing inputs are but in Injustice is an instant air dash just up-forward forward or up-back backward really quickly?
Yeah you are right, since jumping diagonally registers as U+F/B you just have to hit forward or back one time to make the air dash come out. It is just a timing thing that has to be learned when specifically going for it just like anything else.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
How do you legitimately do instant air dashes, I played marvel so know what tiger-kneeing inputs are but in Injustice is an instant air dash just up-forward forward or up-back backward really quickly?

U+F, F. There's a timing to it but its easy when you get it down. I can even do them online.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I'm not a Killer Frost player, but I don't think the post-slide meta is a bill at all.

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
I'm not a Killer Frost player, but I don't think the post-slide meta is a bill at all.
Obviously the post-slide meta is important in certain match-ups and nonexistent in others. It is a case by case thing, but even in the match-ups where the opponent doesn't have a fast and/or far reaching low, they still hold the favor by default, imo. -4 frames is never an advantageous position against a smart opponent.

The main reason why I even question the importance of "post-slide" is because it's the most common talking point when it comes to match-ups with Frost. If you check most other match-up discussions in the character sub-forums you'll notice a trend when Frost is brought up: if they have a fast/far reaching low then they're mu is even or better with Frost by default somehow - in that there's an implication that dealing with slide = dealing with Frost. That's the main bill of goods, because slide is 10% of what makes Frost good, imo.

@BaronVonRupert
I forgot to mention when I quoted you: when performing the cross-up vortex stuff, how the cross-up hits depends on how the air-dash is performed (if you neutral jump or forward jump, or if you airdash instantly or just slightly delay it, or if you time the input of j1/j2/j3 earlier or later). Another variable is the opponents hitbox and how they stagger out of the freeze state (since the cross-ups hit just as that stagger state starts, but just before they gain mobility). The 2 different j.1 cross-ups in the video are performed very similarly: the cross-up is performed very tight, the airdash is neutral jumped and input instantly - and the jump itself is performed as soon as she lands - j.1 is input a little late. There are a number of ways of hitting the ambiguous non-crossup that hits in front and lands behind, but when recording that one I input a neutral jump airdash instantly - delayed my follow-up jump veeery slightly - input my j.1 early. I hope this description helps your execution.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
-4 is nowhere near as damning as you're making it out to be. The opponent still has to make reads as to what you're going to do. If they use a mid or a high you can parry, if they don't you can always backdash and begin your solid zoning. With the exception of Batman, who, with precise timing, can release trait and punish it. Also, considering how far slide reaches, you have one of the best whiff punishing moves in the game.

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
-4 is nowhere near as damning as you're making it out to be..
?

...they still hold the favor by default, imo. -4 frames is never an advantageous position against a smart opponent.
Damning? where do I make it out as damning? It's not damning, being -4 is just not good: it's not "in our favor."

Yeah, she has options in most match-ups, but I think you're missing my point entirely. The main reason why I question (note "question" not declare) "is post-slide game a bill?" is because it's not that great of a situation to be in, I don't ever want to be in that situation by choice unless I have no other option. I'd much rather do nothing than throw out a yolo slide because "why not?"... but that's just me, and that's just how I play - I am the anti-thesis to yolo, and I'm arguing that Frost should be played this way as well (this you can totally agree or disagree with).

And like I said twice, once in the OP, and again in the quoted: it's not so much "a bill" because of options or whatever, it's "a bill" because of the worth placed on it by non-Frost players and Frost players alike when discussing match-ups. It's so focused on you'd think our goal in every match-up is to make the opponent block slide and then mix them up or something. It's cool that it's safe on block, and awesome that she has some annoying options for the opponent sometimes. But why is "post-slide game" THE match-up talking point?

I just see slide as a double-edged sword I guess. For example:
The opponent still has to make reads as to what you're going to do. If they use a mid or a high you can parry, if they don't you can always backdash and begin your solid zoning.
Correct, I can parry most highs or mid.

And if I parry and the opponent does nothing, reacts and depletes my health bar by 30-50% into oki/vortex/corner carries?

And yeah, back dash is a good option, but the opponent could be scouting that... see above if they are.

So we're both making reads, the Frost player and whoever's blocking the slide. Only difference is they have 4 frames to work with.

(And trust me, I'm not downplaying the fact that slide being only -4 is AWESOME. Because it is. When I first turned this game on, performed Frost's slide, and then checked the frame data I actually laughed out loud because I couldn't believe what I was reading. I suppose the easiest way to understand where I'm coming from: maybe "bill" is too harsh a word - I think the "post-slide game" is overhyped.)