What's new

Match-up Discussion Freddy Krueger Matchup Discussion Thread

AK Vip3r

Ghost of Vip3r
sure,

lets see here

6-4 vs Baraka
Play a good Baraka and this match is not as 7-3 as most people tend to think. A good baraka knows when to properly use meter. What really scares me in this match up in how quickly baraka can push you to a corner with ex dash stab, and the following pressure and resets he can inflict on you.

6-4 vs Cyber Sub-Zero
Normally I would give this to Freddy but after playing a great cyber SZ such as Pig of the Hut this can turn out to be nasty from cybers SZ's great rushdown ability.

5-5 vs Cyrax
This can won and is an even match-up. Learn to break command grabs and zone him out properly.

6-4 vs Ermac
Just zone him out. watch for random teleport that ermac players will try to use to catch you off guard from tossing claws.

6-4 vs Jade
While Jade does have her green armor, it doesnt protect her from claws. The purple armor does but at that point just teleport out. If you wish to block, then watch for highs and lows.

5-5 vs Jax
Only reason this is even for jax is just because of how good his close up pressure is. He can safely use ex dash to close in if he needs.

5-5 vs Johnny Cage
this is same situation as jax, in fact Johnny's close up game is better.

5-5 vs Kabal
Another situation where I feel, if people would learn to block properly, this match-up would not seem as bad. It is tough though regardless.

6-4 vs Kano
Dont let him close if he has xray meter. Best to just play a zoning game and youre sure to win.

5-5 vs Kenshi
Watch out for his armored moves. dont try to zone him heavily with projectiles because he will fling them back. Youre claw game needs to be on point in this match up, but I do feel it is even.

6-4 vs Kitana
Another character that you can zone out. I don't care how good she is close up. save your meter for ex teleports to get away. She does that sky dash, use nms and auto correct one of your safe options when she lands and teleport back out. If your big on comboing then go for nms1 and follow up with b.2 xx 4,2,1 xx claws.

4-6 vs Kung Lao
Ahh this match, it certainly is a toughie for Freddy. Your best bet is to bait dive kicks with back dashing from nms and blocking and punish accordingly. When Lao does an ex teleport, if you're good with timing go for an ex dream drop. they will be out of the armor state by the time you've released it.

6-4 vs Liu Kang
Watch out for those 3,2,1's! Gotta zone him out! keep an eye open for ex dragon kicks though.

4-6 vs Mileena
This has got to be Freddys worst match-up there is! poor guy. You are gonna have to be on point with punishing her rolls and dive kicks. on a blocked roll use b.2 xx 4,2,1 xx claws. you MUST duck all tele-kicks. that is key to surviving this match up. d1 is your friend here! Im currently working on a consistent punish for regular tele-kick. I wouldnt waste your time blowing meter on ex teleports or ex claws. save it to breaker all the madness that is mileena!

6-4 vs Nightwolf
Tom Brady needs to revisit this match-up. It is def in Freddys favor. you can nms under his shoulders for a safe launcher. all you need to do is watch for reflected projectiles and lightning and this match should be a breeze. just ask lord of the fly! =)

5-5 vs Noob Saibot
The is a battle of who can zone the best and has good mind games! dont teleport in, you will get upknee'd if they do it on reaction! Best you land an ex claw or dream drop before you decide to close ground on noob. Also, watch for his teleport slam which most will use when they catch you tossing alot of gauntlets!

5-5 vs Quan Chi
As some one who has mained both of these, this match-up is even. quan chi can trance freddy out of nms and teleports! watch out for that rune trap! save your meter for breakers here! You are only safe from his trance if you are nearly full screen away. His sky drops are also something to be wary of since he can control where he lands.

4-6 vs Raiden
This match-up def leans more towards raiden because of that silly teleport and superman move. you can be superman'd out of teleports and nms within midscreen so be careful using those! zoning isnt really effective either. Get your combat boots on because this match will have to be won in the trenches, up close and personal. poke him to death!

5-5 vs Rain
I don't have much experience in this match-up but the only good thing rain has going for him is lightning. You can punish his teleport, but be careful, he might catch on and use an ex teleport which is the same as the geyser kick.

4-6 vs Reptile
probably the 3rd toughest match-up for Freddy. this match-up IS winnable. you really have to be on point with claw usage. especially mid claw to stop him dashing in his tracks! do whatever he takes to keep him out! freddys projectile frame traps are great here because reptile struggles to get in once he is knocked out.

5-5 vs Scorpion
only reason this is even is because of that deadly vortex game scorpion has. save your meter for breakers and punish accordingly when he whiffs a regular teleport.

6-4 vs Sektor
Another match I don't know much about. you can punish verticle air missles quite easily. All you really need to watch out for is teleport punches. As long as you dont get hit by those, this match is in the bag!

6-4 vs Shang Tsung
This is a relatively easy match up for freddy. zone him out and watch for the skulls because they come out quick! however dont rush him down because Shang does have some mix-up game up close. I still wouldnt consider this match-up much of a threat even so.

7-3 vs Sheeva
Lol, this probably one of the EASIEST matchs for freddy. play the zoning game and watch out for those easy-to-dodge sky slams.

5-5 vs Sindel
This is similar to the noob match up. You gotta be agile here and learn to DODGEEEE! do ex dream drop when she does alot of neutral jump projectiles and close in for combat if you are close enough. otherwise, continue the zoning game!

5-5 vs Skarlet
this match is surprisingly tough! skarlet has her ex dash with armor. she can do an overhead or a slide from the dash. Watch out for her resets too! you can try to zone, just keep an eye out for that teleport move she has.

4-6 vs Smoke
this is about the same difficulty as the reptile match up. Zoning isn't all that effective. claws are about all you have. sadly, a smoke bomb traded with freddy projectiles results in smoke being able to continue the combo. you gotta find ways to make the smoke player mess up if you wanna win this one!( Im currently working on this myself because of ATL-R3dd)

6-4 vs Sonya Blade
After playing the most solid sonya I know, Clint the Beat, you really gotta keep her out. She is the best at rushdown IMO. She also has military stance, which is very similar to freddys nms. keep away from her and zone her out!

7-3 vs Stryker
Not much to say here other than watch for his ex roll on wake-ups. nms under everything but grenades and punish accordingly.

7-3 vs Sub-Zero
This match is free to freddy. Zone, zone, zone, and zone some more. you can nms under iceball. any attempts by sub to get in can be punished with ex claws with all that meter you built up from keeping him out beforehand! I have played some good subs such as cyusstrike and GamerBlake but I tend to win very convincingly!

Freddy is top 5 IMO. I thoroughly enjoy his play style because he can zone or go into combo mode with ease. I wouldn't call it easy because doing far claw can be tough at times and his big combos are no easy feat either, especially his corner combo block string. He does have bad match ups in chars such as mileena, reptile, smoke, and Kung Lao. However, with a large amount of patience you can win! I've slowly been getting better at winning the mileena thanks to pig and krys8994 and reptile thanks to tylerlantern. Im sure as a community we will find an answer or some kind of solution eventually though! Hope this wasnt to boring of a read! I enjoyed writing it. hope it helps!

KRYS9984

Noob
4-6 vs Mileena
This has got to be Freddys worst match-up there is! poor guy. You are gonna have to be on point with punishing her rolls and dive kicks. on a blocked roll use b.2 xx 4,2,1 xx claws. you MUST duck all tele-kicks. that is key to surviving this match up. d1 is your friend here! Im currently working on a consistent punish for regular tele-kick. I wouldnt waste your time blowing meter on ex teleports or ex claws. save it to breaker all the madness that is mileena!

Freddy is top 5 IMO. I thoroughly enjoy his play style because he can zone or go into combo mode with ease. I wouldn't call it easy because doing far claw can be tough at times and his big combos are no easy feat either, especially his corner combo block string. He does have bad match ups in chars such as mileena, reptile, smoke, and Kung Lao. However, with a large amount of patience you can win! I've slowly been getting better at winning the mileena thanks to pig and krys8994 and reptile thanks to tylerlantern. Im sure as a community we will find an answer or some kind of solution eventually though! Hope this wasnt to boring of a read! I enjoyed writing it. hope it helps!
The Mileena Match-up is certainly difficult for a lot of characters (not only Freddy). After all our 1 v 1's / practice sessions, I can honestly say that you have a good understanding on how to counter her specials and not get fazed by her mind games.

He is by far one of the best zoning characters in the game but IMHO, Freddy users (same as Noob Saibot users) should avoid the pure zoning mindset and mix it up a bit. Anyone who plays characters with an instant teleport (and can do it on reaction) has easy access to high damage combos, stuns, block-strings, etc..... Sometimes the best offense is defence; you just need to sit back, zone a little, read the opponent and wait for them to make crucial errors that grant Freddy +40% damage combos.

Freddy really is pain in the ass to deal with; I'm not prepared to say that he's S tier but certainly high up on the chart.

AK Vip3r

Ghost of Vip3r
The Mileena Match-up is certainly difficult for a lot of characters (not only Freddy). After all our 1 v 1's / practice sessions, I can honestly say that you have a good understanding on how to counter her specials and not get fazed by her mind games.

He is by far one of the best zoning characters in the game but IMHO, Freddy users (same as Noob Saibot users) should avoid the pure zoning mindset and mix it up a bit. Anyone who plays characters with an instant teleport (and can do it on reaction) has easy access to high damage combos, stuns, block-strings, etc..... Sometimes the best offense is defence; you just need to sit back, zone a little, read the opponent and wait for them to make crucial errors that grant Freddy +40% damage combos.

Freddy really is pain in the ass to deal with; I'm not prepared to say that he's S tier but certainly high up on the chart.
I noticed I got the numbers wrong in your name, haha. and thanks man! Im gonna get those dang matches up. I havent uploaded anything in so long and im having alot of technical issues.

Sand-man

Noob
The point of this thread is to discuss Freddy's matchups, but you should probably read my Freddy guide before you proceed. This thread is a never-ending project, and I will keep updating this post with fresh information for as long as I play the game and the character. I have put a lot of time and effort into the character even before he was tournament legal, but my opinion is not the be-all and end-all. I encourage everyone to post his or her match up chart too, so we can engage in a healthy discussion.

- m2dave

6 vs Baraka

5 vs Cyber Sub-Zero

5 vs Cyrax - despite the inconceivable amount of damage Cyrax can dish out in one combo, Freddy has the ability to zone him safely. You just have to be really careful of nets (b,b+3) at mid range to avoid trading. Do not waste any meter on anything besides combo breakers vs this character, and only break Cyrax's combos after the player wastes the meter for the EX bomb, or you will never ever win.

5 vs Cyblax (Human Cyrax)

6 vs Ermac - Freddy punishes blocked TKP (b,f+1) anywhere on the screen with the appropriate spike. Ermac has to rush down, and he can do so because a lot of his strings work well on Freddy because of the large crouching hitbox. In all honesty, this match up is probably only 5.5 : 4.5 in favor of Freddy.

5 vs Jade

6 vs Jax - Even though CD Jr. beat me at Season's Beatings, I still think this match up is in favor of Freddy. This fight is very similar to Johnny Cage (see below). NMS crouches under Jax's d,f+2 and gives you a full combo punish via NMS, 1. If you get cornered, however, you may as well put your stick down. Every hit of f+4,1,3 jails Freddy and leads to death combos.

5 vs Johnny Cage - simple match up. If you manage to zone Cage, you win. If Cage corners you, you are dead. You need to learn to use NMS in footsies in this match up to be successful. Cage is more dangerous mid screen than Jax due to EX forceball trap.

5 vs Kabal

6 vs Kano - all spikes crouch under knives while up ball is easily punishable by f+4,2,1. Kano has to rush down Freddy, but the problem is that his offense is not good enough for him to win consistently. Aerial balls are an issue, however, because of their whiff punishing abilities.

5 vs Kenshi

6 vs Kitana

4 vs Kung Lao - Kung Lao is a difficult match up because of his air mobility, which makes him hard to zone, and teleport 3, which locks Freddy because of his large crouching hitbox. You cannot simply stand in one spot and zone like you normally would. The key is to keep moving forward. Kung Lao's teleport 3 can be punished with EX ground spikes if you dash forward, and NMS, 1 works well as an anti air versus dive kicks. You have to play this match up a lot to get an idea how to overcome Kung Lao's mobility.

6 vs Liu Kang

4 vs Mileena - this match up is not as bad as I thought, but Freddy still loses. Mileena is a very strong character, so there is a lot to talk about. First, the ideal distance to fight Mileena is 3/4ths of the screen away, or slightly closer. You do not want to stay full screen away because the Mileena player can easily react to gloves and fingers and punish you with telekicks. Zone with spikes because they have a tendency to hit Mileena out of the telekicks. Be sure to try to punish all telekicks and rolls with the following combo: u+3~EX spike, JP,b+1,2,u+1, dash f+4,2,1 xx mid spike, far spike, far spike (46% of damage). You have to be standing to punish with u+3, so train yourself to block standing vs Mileena, and I know doing so is difficult because of d+4. EX telekicks can usually be punished with d+2 or d+1 xx glove toss, but you must block the second hit while crouching. Punishing these moves correctly is crucial. Furthermore, if you jump on Mileena, be sure to jump deep with a kick because a jumping punch whiffs when she does d+4. You can combo with mid spike thereafter. Be patient and play smart, and you will give yourself a chance to win. Mileena's damage output is low while Freddy's is high. That is the only reason he does not lose worse than 6:4.

6 vs Nightwolf - Reflect is a problem because the move disables glove toss/Freddy fingers, but turtling with NMS gives Nightwolf a tough, tough time. NMS crouches under shoulder and arrow, severely limiting Nightwolf. Spikes are neither reflectable nor absorbable.

6 vs Noob Saibot - sweet dreams catches teleslam attempts and trades with any shadow clone in your favor. Just wake up and perform two far ground spikes. Freddy has safer zoning, better mix ups, more damaging combos, and superior mobility, so Noob is outclassed in almost every category. But the match up can still surprisingly be very competitive if the Noob player is not mindlessly chucking shadows.

5 vs Quan Chi

4 vs Raiden - because of the teleport (d,u), Raiden is literally un-zonable and un-trappable. In other words, this is a difficult match up for Freddy. Raiden cannot teleport punish glove toss on reaction. Ground spikes, on the other hand, are punishable if he randomly teleports. EX ground spike does not track teleport, unfortunately. d+1, f+4,2,1, and JP are your best options in dealing with the teleport. JP is especially good because if it connects, it leads to combos, and if it gets blocked, it leads to un-fuzzy-guardable albeit unsafe 50/50 mix up between b+2 and b+3 xx close ground spike, but EX ground spike is safe. Do not zone too much. Instead, be more aggressive. This match up feels random sometimes mostly because you never know when the Raiden player will teleport. You have to take some risks to beat him.

5 vs Rain

6 vs Reptile - when Reptile is full screen away, he is one of the most helpless characters vs Freddy as his regular dash is the worst in the game. He has to take risks by elbow dashing or jumping forward. Glove toss takes care of elbow dash while mid spike takes care of a forward jump. Keep him full screen away as long as you can, but do not use far spikes on him. Blocked far spikes allow him to approach you with elbow dashes. Keep tossing gloves. If the Reptile player starts neutral ducking your gloves, start tossing freddy fingers. Reptile is only a threat at mid range because of elbow dash, slide, d+4, jump, X-Ray, etc. Be aware that his slide can slide under gloves (while Sub Zero's and Cyber Sub Zero's slide cannot). Blocked elbow dashes are punishable by f+4,2,1 + combo.

5 vs Scorpion - this match up is even because Scorpion has some solid anti-zoning tools. Do not spam gloves or freddy fingers because Scorpion can trade with a hellfire, take a hit, and perform another hellfire for 14% of damage. Zone with far and mid spikes because the Scorpion player cannot react to those. If the Scorpion player is hellfire happy, you can trade with sweet dreams. You have enough time to spike afterwards. Block regular teleports and then punish them with your best combo. EX teleports are not only safe but also advantageous on block. In fact, Freddy has to block 3,3 after EX teleport. The ideal solution is to low poke the EX teleport with d+1 and then juggle with f+4,2,1. Scorpion has one of the best 50/50 mix ups in the game even though they are very unsafe. The overhead option is b+2 while the low option is f+4 xx spear. Be sure to punish both with f+4,2,1 + combo. Spear is punishable by spikes, even full screen away. Takedown is safe on block. The EX version has armor. Play this match up carefully and patiently, and try to force mistakes because Scorpion still has to approach Freddy unless he has the life lead.

5 vs Sektor

6 vs Shang Tsung - Shang Tsung has to rush down Freddy, and he has some solid frame traps with f+4,3,4 xx close up skull and d+4 xx up skull. Close up skull leaves him at +1 on block. He is helpless vs Freddy from a distance, though. Ground skulls are too slow for glove toss and spikes. Do not get cornered and be aware of EX soul steal at mid range, and you should yourself a very good chance to win.

6 vs Sheeva - NMS automatically backdashes away from Sheeva's unblockable stomp and gives you a free launch via NMS, 1. If she stomps behind you, NMS's motion is reversed (d,b+4 -> d,f+4), and sweet dreams comes out instead. Because the stomp is slow, spikes can usually interrupt its start up animation. Sheeva's fireball hits mid and EX fireball is an overhead. Spikes "crouch" under both, so you do not have to bother blocking either one. Do not fall for any stomp shenanigans, stick to the staple zoning game, and you should win. Respect the character, though. Sheeva has some damaging single hitters and combos, and you can die quickly if you make mistakes.

5 vs Sindel

6 vs Skarlet

3 vs Smoke - Smoke bomb completely negates Freddy's zoning game and leads to tons of damage thanks to resets. If you toss a glove or freddy finger, Smoke can take the hit and still juggle. Trading Smoke bombs (12%) with spikes (6%) does not allow Smoke to juggle, but the trade is still in his favor. Fight Smoke at mid range because there is no point in staying full screen away. Freddy can do very little about full screen smoke bombs. Again, fight this match midscreen and try to bait a smoke bomb and then jump and punish with a big combo. If you jump carelessly, though, the Smoke player will AA you with his standing 2. I need to play and explore this match up more, but thus far it is Freddy's hardest because 70% of your tools are useless vs Smoke. The resets when combined with smoke bombs are too powerful.
quote all, only vs smoke, for me is 4-6.yes the smoke bomb have a good control vs freddie and limit hes buildin bar but at max range freddie have only spike, at jump distance or midscreen you can use a glove toss(no spam obviously ) because you have to have a inhuman reflex to see the glove toss while you've been warned, spikes however, force you to keep guard.
i thinks it's 6-4, freddie has always been a good offense with a 50 50 safe on b2,4(spike ex, spike(unsafe but have a vortex) ) or b3,3confermable on df1(b3spike ex, b3db1 if you search a good damage and vortex ) or NMS and 50 50

M2Dave

Zoning Master
DarKNaTaS, Vip3r

We have got to work on a universal match up chart in the near future. Technically, Vip3r has not received adequate votes, but I believe he is more than qualified to participate. Also, good luck to Vip3r at Final Round if he is taking part in the tournament.

With that said, the following is DarKNatas's match up chart.

7-3 vs Baraka
With out meter baraka cant get in on freddy for nothing.

5-5 vs Cyber Sub-Zero
CZS dive kick gets him in on freddy fast thats y i gave it a 5-5

4-6 vs Cyrax
Cyrax resets just destroy freddy avoid nets at all cost. If cyrax didnt have his resets then i would have gave this a 5-5

6-4 vs Ermac
Ermac i feel is more of a zoner and cant out zone freddy.

6-4 vs Jade
This was tough to decide since jade is the only characters that can go threw projectiles. But since she is the lowest tier character in the game freddy just bitch smacks her.

5-5 vs Jax
Now this is a very even match. i played cdjr and he showed me how even this match can be. if u can out zone jax u will win but if he gets to close to u then its all over for freddy and lets not forget about jax reset in the corner. i would advise staying out the corner at all times vs jax.

6-4 vs Johnny Cage
Cage destroys freddy upclose but from full screen cage is waiting to eat freddy claws all day.

4-6 vs Kabal
Oh god this match up just fucking sucks. Dash cancel destroys every character in the game and that shit needs to be take out.

6-4 vs Kano
Kano has some very fast zoning that can cause some problems for freddy but not enough to give him problems.

5-5 vs Kenshi
This match up is a zoning war since both charaters can zone the shit out of each other. Playing Ts Sabin kenshi proved that this is a test of who can out zone who. I do feel freddy has a better close up game then kenshi.

5-5 vs Kitana
Not a easy match up. After playing CD Kitana this match is even since kitana can fly accross the screen and its hard to punish her teleport. so once kitana gets in ur gonna get the holy hell of d1 dont to u.

4-6 vs Kung Lao
This match just sucks some major ass since kung lao controls the air. Not much u can do since lao can get in ur face with the quickness.

6-4 vs Liu Kang
kang is pretty much dead in the water if he cant get close freddy zoning just locks him down

4-6 vs Mileena
D4 D4 D4 D4 geezus u cant do crossup on this bitch for nothing. Trying to zone her is out the window. Best tool i found to deal with her Ball and tele kick if blocked is U3 With freddy that leads to some serious damage to mileena players and might push them away from trying to spam u with tele kick and ball.

6-4 vs Nightwolf
Not a bad match up can be at times hard to zone since nightwolf can reflect freddy zoning and leave u open for a free lighting if reflect is done on u.

5-5 vs Noob Saibot
Zoning war both guys are pretty much equal in this department.

5-5 vs Quan Chi
Most people would this this was a match 6-4 in favor of freddy but after facing a real quanchi player like insuperable it has gone to a 5-5 reason i say this cause quanchi has great mix up. On top of having great mix ups that god damn rune trap fucks u over so bad. Rune trap is broken and needs to be Fixed.
4-6 vs Raiden
God damn raiden teleport this mofo just dont sit still. Freddy Zoning is out the window and u have to learn to fight raiden up close in this match up.

5-5 vs Rain
After fighting cdjr rain this match can be one. The zoning is there for freddy just gotta watch out for rain once he gets close.

4-6 vs Reptile
Reptile Dash is stupid fast and people who keep doing it over and over make it hard for freddy to do anything.

5-5 vs Scorpion
After playing Scoot Mcgee all i gotta say is that damn vortex sucks some major ass. Once ur caught in that ur fucked. If ur lucky to avoid it then u can win the zoning war as long as scorpion doesnt hell fire u to death.

5-5 vs Sektor
Hard match for freddy since sektor can use ex teleport can get him in close on freddy. Not a easy task to zone sektor.

6-4 vs Shang Tsung
Only thing i worry about is soul steal. If he steals ur soul that turns this match up to a 5-5.

7-3 vs Sheeva
Sheeva only tool to get in is teleport stomp and that can be punished.

4-6 vs Sindel
This is the 1 charater in the game i feel can out zone freddy due to her air fireballs coming out so damn fast. Best weapon to use is sweet dreams to help stop her from doing air fireballs so much.

6-4 vs Skarlet
Not much to say havent faced to many scarlet players. The only 1 i have played that was good and that was bluenine. same problem with her freddy just out zones her and her teleport can be punished.

4-6 vs Smoke
After fighting KT smith and Cdjr This by far Has to be his worst match up since u cant zone smoke for nothing due to his shake. Use lots of groud spikes and nms to deal with teleport. Beware of smokes d1 since it can anti air u.

5-5 vs Sonya Blade
after fighting reo and kevo da man its hard to keep sonya away since she can get in very quick. d4 cartwheel and sonya mix up can be a problem. keep her at full screen at all times.

6-4 vs Stryker
There really isnt many stryker players out there. only 1 i have had some match up with was j360 and freddy seemed not to have to many problems with him.

7-3 vs Sub-Zero
Im sorry to say this i dont know how some people gave this a 5-5 freddy rapes sub zero. freddy out zones the hell out of him and i dont see much zub zero can do. i have fought dark rob and subzero game changes from being defensive to being offfensive. sub cant sit back and wait for freddy to come.

The followin is Vip3r's match up chart.

6-4 vs Baraka
Play a good Baraka and this match is not as 7-3 as most people tend to think. A good baraka knows when to properly use meter. What really scares me in this match up in how quickly baraka can push you to a corner with ex dash stab, and the following pressure and resets he can inflict on you.

6-4 vs Cyber Sub-Zero
Normally I would give this to Freddy but after playing a great cyber SZ such as Pig of the Hut this can turn out to be nasty from cybers SZ's great rushdown ability.

5-5 vs Cyrax
This can won and is an even match-up. Learn to break command grabs and zone him out properly.

6-4 vs Ermac
Just zone him out. watch for random teleport that ermac players will try to use to catch you off guard from tossing claws.

6-4 vs Jade
While Jade does have her green armor, it doesnt protect her from claws. The purple armor does but at that point just teleport out. If you wish to block, then watch for highs and lows.

5-5 vs Jax
Only reason this is even for jax is just because of how good his close up pressure is. He can safely use ex dash to close in if he needs.

5-5 vs Johnny Cage
this is same situation as jax, in fact Johnny's close up game is better.

5-5 vs Kabal
Another situation where I feel, if people would learn to block properly, this match-up would not seem as bad. It is tough though regardless.

6-4 vs Kano
Dont let him close if he has xray meter. Best to just play a zoning game and youre sure to win.

5-5 vs Kenshi
Watch out for his armored moves. dont try to zone him heavily with projectiles because he will fling them back. Youre claw game needs to be on point in this match up, but I do feel it is even.

6-4 vs Kitana
Another character that you can zone out. I don't care how good she is close up. save your meter for ex teleports to get away. She does that sky dash, use nms and auto correct one of your safe options when she lands and teleport back out. If your big on comboing then go for nms1 and follow up with b.2 xx 4,2,1 xx claws.

4-6 vs Kung Lao
Ahh this match, it certainly is a toughie for Freddy. Your best bet is to bait dive kicks with back dashing from nms and blocking and punish accordingly. When Lao does an ex teleport, if you're good with timing go for an ex dream drop. they will be out of the armor state by the time you've released it.

6-4 vs Liu Kang
Watch out for those 3,2,1's! Gotta zone him out! keep an eye open for ex dragon kicks though.

4-6 vs Mileena

6-4 vs Nightwolf
Tom Brady needs to revisit this match-up. It is def in Freddys favor. you can nms under his shoulders for a safe launcher. all you need to do is watch for reflected projectiles and lightning and this match should be a breeze. just ask lord of the fly! =)

5-5 vs Noob Saibot
The is a battle of who can zone the best and has good mind games! dont teleport in, you will get upknee'd if they do it on reaction! Best you land an ex claw or dream drop before you decide to close ground on noob. Also, watch for his teleport slam which most will use when they catch you tossing alot of gauntlets!

5-5 vs Quan Chi
As some one who has mained both of these, this match-up is even. quan chi can trance freddy out of nms and teleports! watch out for that rune trap! save your meter for breakers here! You are only safe from his trance if you are nearly full screen away. His sky drops are also something to be wary of since he can control where he lands.

4-6 vs Raiden
This match-up def leans more towards raiden because of that silly teleport and superman move. you can be superman'd out of teleports and nms within midscreen so be careful using those! zoning isnt really effective either. Get your combat boots on because this match will have to be won in the trenches, up close and personal. poke him to death!

5-5 vs Rain
I don't have much experience in this match-up but the only good thing rain has going for him is lightning. You can punish his teleport, but be careful, he might catch on and use an ex teleport which is the same as the geyser kick.

4-6 vs Reptile
probably the 3rd toughest match-up for Freddy. this match-up IS winnable. you really have to be on point with claw usage. especially mid claw to stop him dashing in his tracks! do whatever he takes to keep him out! freddys projectile frame traps are great here because reptile struggles to get in once he is knocked out.

5-5 vs Scorpion
only reason this is even is because of that deadly vortex game scorpion has. save your meter for breakers and punish accordingly when he whiffs a regular teleport.

6-4 vs Sektor
Another match I don't know much about. you can punish verticle air missles quite easily. All you really need to watch out for is teleport punches. As long as you dont get hit by those, this match is in the bag!

6-4 vs Shang Tsung
This is a relatively easy match up for freddy. zone him out and watch for the skulls because they come out quick! however dont rush him down because Shang does have some mix-up game up close. I still wouldnt consider this match-up much of a threat even so.

7-3 vs Sheeva
Lol, this probably one of the EASIEST matchs for freddy. play the zoning game and watch out for those easy-to-dodge sky slams.

5-5 vs Sindel
This is similar to the noob match up. You gotta be agile here and learn to DODGEEEE! do ex dream drop when she does alot of neutral jump projectiles and close in for combat if you are close enough. otherwise, continue the zoning game!

5-5 vs Skarlet
this match is surprisingly tough! skarlet has her ex dash with armor. she can do an overhead or a slide from the dash. Watch out for her resets too! you can try to zone, just keep an eye out for that teleport move she has.

4-6 vs Smoke
this is about the same difficulty as the reptile match up. Zoning isn't all that effective. claws are about all you have. sadly, a smoke bomb traded with freddy projectiles results in smoke being able to continue the combo. you gotta find ways to make the smoke player mess up if you wanna win this one!( Im currently working on this myself because of ATL-R3dd)

6-4 vs Sonya Blade
After playing the most solid sonya I know, Clint the Beat, you really gotta keep her out. She is the best at rushdown IMO. She also has military stance, which is very similar to freddys nms. keep away from her and zone her out!

7-3 vs Stryker
Not much to say here other than watch for his ex roll on wake-ups. nms under everything but grenades and punish accordingly.

7-3 vs Sub-Zero
This match is free to freddy. Zone, zone, zone, and zone some more. you can nms under iceball. any attempts by sub to get in can be punished with ex claws with all that meter you built up from keeping him out beforehand! I have played some good subs such as cyusstrike and GamerBlake but I tend to win very convincingly!

And the following is mine.

6 vs Baraka

5 vs Cyber Sub-Zero

5 vs Cyrax - despite the inconceivable amount of damage Cyrax can dish out in one combo, Freddy has the ability to zone him safely. You just have to be really careful of nets (b,b+3) at mid range to avoid trading. Do not waste any meter on anything besides combo breakers vs this character, and only break Cyrax's combos after the player wastes the meter for the EX bomb, or you will never ever win.

5 vs Cyblax (Human Cyrax)

6 vs Ermac - Freddy punishes blocked TKP (b,f+1) anywhere on the screen with the appropriate spike. Ermac has to rush down, and he can do so because a lot of his strings work well on Freddy because of the large crouching hitbox. In all honesty, this match up is probably only 5.5 : 4.5 in favor of Freddy.

5 vs Jade

6 vs Jax - Even though CD Jr. beat me at Season's Beatings, I still think this match up is in favor of Freddy. This fight is very similar to Johnny Cage (see below). NMS crouches under Jax's d,f+2 and gives you a full combo punish via NMS, 1. If you get cornered, however, you may as well put your stick down. Every hit of f+4,1,3 jails Freddy and leads to death combos.

5 vs Johnny Cage - simple match up. If you manage to zone Cage, you win. If Cage corners you, you are dead. You need to learn to use NMS in footsies in this match up to be successful. Cage is more dangerous mid screen than Jax due to EX forceball trap.

5 vs Kabal

6 vs Kano - all spikes crouch under knives while up ball is easily punishable by f+4,2,1. Kano has to rush down Freddy, but the problem is that his offense is not good enough for him to win consistently. Aerial balls are an issue, however, because of their whiff punishing abilities.

5 vs Kenshi

6 vs Kitana

4 vs Kung Lao - Kung Lao is a difficult match up because of his air mobility, which makes him hard to zone, and teleport 3, which locks Freddy because of his large crouching hitbox. You cannot simply stand in one spot and zone like you normally would. The key is to keep moving forward. Kung Lao's teleport 3 can be punished with EX ground spikes if you dash forward, and NMS, 1 works well as an anti air versus dive kicks. You have to play this match up a lot to get an idea how to overcome Kung Lao's mobility.

6 vs Liu Kang

4 vs Mileena - this match up is not as bad as I thought, but Freddy still loses. Mileena is a very strong character, so there is a lot to talk about. First, the ideal distance to fight Mileena is 3/4ths of the screen away, or slightly closer. You do not want to stay full screen away because the Mileena player can easily react to gloves and fingers and punish you with telekicks. Zone with spikes because they have a tendency to hit Mileena out of the telekicks. Be sure to try to punish all telekicks and rolls with the following combo: u+3~EX spike, JP,b+1,2,u+1, dash f+4,2,1 xx mid spike, far spike, far spike (46% of damage). You have to be standing to punish with u+3, so train yourself to block standing vs Mileena, and I know doing so is difficult because of d+4. EX telekicks can usually be punished with d+2 or d+1 xx glove toss, but you must block the second hit while crouching. Punishing these moves correctly is crucial. Furthermore, if you jump on Mileena, be sure to jump deep with a kick because a jumping punch whiffs when she does d+4. You can combo with mid spike thereafter. Be patient and play smart, and you will give yourself a chance to win. Mileena's damage output is low while Freddy's is high. That is the only reason he does not lose worse than 6:4.

6 vs Nightwolf - Reflect is a problem because the move disables glove toss/Freddy fingers, but turtling with NMS gives Nightwolf a tough, tough time. NMS crouches under shoulder and arrow, severely limiting Nightwolf. Spikes are neither reflectable nor absorbable.

6 vs Noob Saibot - sweet dreams catches teleslam attempts and trades with any shadow clone in your favor. Just wake up and perform two far ground spikes. Freddy has safer zoning, better mix ups, more damaging combos, and superior mobility, so Noob is outclassed in almost every category. But the match up can still surprisingly be very competitive if the Noob player is not mindlessly chucking shadows.

5 vs Quan Chi

4 vs Raiden - because of the teleport (d,u), Raiden is literally un-zonable and un-trappable. In other words, this is a difficult match up for Freddy. Raiden cannot teleport punish glove toss on reaction. Ground spikes, on the other hand, are punishable if he randomly teleports. EX ground spike does not track teleport, unfortunately. d+1, f+4,2,1, and JP are your best options in dealing with the teleport. JP is especially good because if it connects, it leads to combos, and if it gets blocked, it leads to un-fuzzy-guardable albeit unsafe 50/50 mix up between b+2 and b+3 xx close ground spike, but EX ground spike is safe. Do not zone too much. Instead, be more aggressive. This match up feels random sometimes mostly because you never know when the Raiden player will teleport. You have to take some risks to beat him.

5 vs Rain

6 vs Reptile - when Reptile is full screen away, he is one of the most helpless characters vs Freddy as his regular dash is the worst in the game. He has to take risks by elbow dashing or jumping forward. Glove toss takes care of elbow dash while mid spike takes care of a forward jump. Keep him full screen away as long as you can, but do not use far spikes on him. Blocked far spikes allow him to approach you with elbow dashes. Keep tossing gloves. If the Reptile player starts neutral ducking your gloves, start tossing freddy fingers. Reptile is only a threat at mid range because of elbow dash, slide, d+4, jump, X-Ray, etc. Be aware that his slide can slide under gloves (while Sub Zero's and Cyber Sub Zero's slide cannot). Blocked elbow dashes are punishable by f+4,2,1 + combo.

5 vs Scorpion - this match up is even because Scorpion has some solid anti-zoning tools. Do not spam gloves or freddy fingers because Scorpion can trade with a hellfire, take a hit, and perform another hellfire for 14% of damage. Zone with far and mid spikes because the Scorpion player cannot react to those. If the Scorpion player is hellfire happy, you can trade with sweet dreams. You have enough time to spike afterwards. Block regular teleports and then punish them with your best combo. EX teleports are not only safe but also advantageous on block. In fact, Freddy has to block 3,3 after EX teleport. The ideal solution is to low poke the EX teleport with d+1 and then juggle with f+4,2,1. Scorpion has one of the best 50/50 mix ups in the game even though they are very unsafe. The overhead option is b+2 while the low option is f+4 xx spear. Be sure to punish both with f+4,2,1 + combo. Spear is punishable by spikes, even full screen away. Takedown is safe on block. The EX version has armor. Play this match up carefully and patiently, and try to force mistakes because Scorpion still has to approach Freddy unless he has the life lead.

5 vs Sektor

6 vs Shang Tsung - Shang Tsung has to rush down Freddy, and he has some solid frame traps with f+4,3,4 xx close up skull and d+4 xx up skull. Close up skull leaves him at +1 on block. He is helpless vs Freddy from a distance, though. Ground skulls are too slow for glove toss and spikes. Do not get cornered and be aware of EX soul steal at mid range, and you should yourself a very good chance to win.

6 vs Sheeva - NMS automatically backdashes away from Sheeva's unblockable stomp and gives you a free launch via NMS, 1. If she stomps behind you, NMS's motion is reversed (d,b+4 -> d,f+4), and sweet dreams comes out instead. Because the stomp is slow, spikes can usually interrupt its start up animation. Sheeva's fireball hits mid and EX fireball is an overhead. Spikes "crouch" under both, so you do not have to bother blocking either one. Do not fall for any stomp shenanigans, stick to the staple zoning game, and you should win. Respect the character, though. Sheeva has some damaging single hitters and combos, and you can die quickly if you make mistakes.

5 vs Sindel

6 vs Skarlet

3 vs Smoke - Smoke bomb completely negates Freddy's zoning game and leads to tons of damage thanks to resets. If you toss a glove or freddy finger, Smoke can take the hit and still juggle. Trading Smoke bombs (12%) with spikes (6%) does not allow Smoke to juggle, but the trade is still in his favor. Fight Smoke at mid range because there is no point in staying full screen away. Freddy can do very little about full screen smoke bombs. Again, fight this match midscreen and try to bait a smoke bomb and then jump and punish with a big combo. If you jump carelessly, though, the Smoke player will AA you with his standing 2. I need to play and explore this match up more, but thus far it is Freddy's hardest because 70% of your tools are useless vs Smoke. The resets when combined with smoke bombs are too powerful.

6 vs Sonya Blade

6 vs Stryker

5 vs Sub-Zero

DarKNaTaS

Retired!
m2dave Vip3r right now im waiting for them to decide what system thtb is gonna use for the match up charts. Then we can all talk about this. Vip3r good luck to u at final round make us freddy players proud!

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I don't quite see how reptile is such a bad match up for Freddy.

Reptile doesn't have the greatest normals and glove toss out zones him. Is there something I'm not seeing here?

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
I don't quite see how reptile is such a bad match up for Freddy.

Reptile doesn't have the greatest normals and glove toss out zones him. Is there something I'm not seeing here?

He can catch you tossing gloves and his dash move allows him to do a quick dash and jump in for a full combo, but once you get good at his awesome standing one aa its not so bad, but its still tough he can be slippery, what scares me most is how he can use his dash move to close space, reptiles that use it solely for movement can be rough. You have to be on point and ready for him to be right up on you.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
He can catch you tossing gloves and his dash move allows him to do a quick dash and jump in for a full combo, but once you get good at his awesome standing one aa its not so bad, but its still tough he can be slippery, what scares me most is how he can use his dash move to close space, reptiles that use it solely for movement can be rough. You have to be on point and ready for him to be right up on you.
Thought so... It's very similar to the Sektor - Reptile match up...

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Whether the Reptile player neutral crouches or blocks a glove toss or finger full screen away, the following glove toss hits him if he tries to elbow dash. Reptile can therefore only neutral crouch (in which case you can start tossing fingers) or jump forward (in which case you AA with mid spike). You want to limit doing spikes that are not AA as much as possible because a blocked spike allows Reptile to advance for free with elbow dash. He can even punish mid spike with elbow dash.

SquirtMcGirt

My bad, i had it wrong there. In fact, that might be a big part of the problem I'm having counter zoning, the spike on block. That makes so much sense. But in that match up the dash and jump has always blown me up, but it made me good at the standing 1 aa.

SquirtMcGirt

If im wrong, please someone correct me, but your zoning is way way better than hers, just try not to let her get close. Spacing is important because she has moves that have decent range, try and make her wiff those then punish with your biggest combo.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
The following is the latest match up chart that DarKNaTaS, Vip3r, and I agreed upon. I will include this match up chart and brief explanations to the first post of this thread when I have time.

Freddy vs.

Baraka: 6.5:3.5
Cyber Sub Zero: 5:5
Cyrax: 5:5
Ermac: 6:4
Jade: 6:4
Jax: 5:5
Johnny Cage: 5.5:4.5
Kabal: 4.5:5.5
Kano: 6:4
Kenshi: 5:5
Kitana: 6:4
Kung Lao: 4:6
Liu Kang: 6:4
Mileena: 4:6
Nighwolf: 6:4
Noob Saibot: 6:4
Quan Chi: 5:5
Raiden: 4:6
Rain: 5:5
Reptile: 5:5
Scorpion: 5:5
Sektor: 5:5
Shang Tsung: 6:4
Sheeva: 7:3
Sindel: 5:5
Skarlet: 5.5:4.5
Smoke: 4:6
Sonya: 5.5:4.5
Stryker: 6:4
Sub Zero: 6.5:3.5

Total: 161

AK Vip3r

Ghost of Vip3r
Maybe its cause I don't have much match experience but how does he deal with fucking Kitana?
bait the square air dash she does, go into nms, wait for her to pass over and launcher her. nms will auto-correct the stance to turn the other way to hit her. Just keep her out and zone her to death. hit her with enough nms launchers and she wont jump in anymore.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I'm almost ready to call Freddy vs. Mileena an even match up for the following reasons.

- Freddy has one of the most damaging telekick and roll punishing combos in the game with one bar of super meter. If you block a roll, you can do a 46% damaging combo with one bar of meter.

- staying 3/4ths of the screen away shuts down rolling and makes reacting to gloves and spikes difficult.

- spikes can interrupt telekicks from the ground and crouch under them during the early frames of the move.

- f+4,3 xx finger beats d+4. NMS 3 is also good vs. d+4. NMS can also be used to avoid telekicks on reaction and force the Mileena player to deal with a 50/50 mix up.

- Mileena can only set up offense with d+4 or a jumping punch. She does poor damage unless she lands u+4. Freddy does a lot more damage.

- you can EX teleport in between JP -> u+4 and u+4 -> d+4.

Death, Vip3r, DarKNaTaS, what do you guys think? Honestly, I had rather play Mileena now days than a character like Sonya who is 100% safe on everything.

Death

Noob
lol it could be even. It feels a lot tougher now that you know how to fight Mileena completely. Mileena is really risky. I cant zone you at all cuz ground claw goes under IAS and ground sais is useless vs Freddy. But Freddy has to play smart. He cant be predictable with glove toss cuz Mileena can tele kick. But when your unpredictable with it its tough cuz i get blown up on a blocked telekick and roll. Mileena pressure sucks honestly. Like people can get around U+4 and i cant hit confirm roll after B+3. its really a risky game and if you block it I lose 44% of my life. I think it could be even potentially. Youll need to run the MU vs better Mileena players who completely main Mileena. I dropped my Mileena monthes ago and only used her here and there. Maybe other mileena players play it better.

AK Vip3r

Ghost of Vip3r
I'm almost ready to call Freddy vs. Mileena an even match up for the following reasons.

- Freddy has one of the most damaging telekick and roll punishing combos in the game with one bar of super meter. If you block a roll, you can do a 46% damaging combo with one bar of meter.

- staying 3/4ths of the screen away shuts down rolling and makes reacting to gloves and spikes difficult.

- spikes can interrupt telekicks from the ground and crouch under them during the early frames of the move.

- f+4,3 xx finger beats d+4. NMS 3 is also good vs. d+4. NMS can also be used to avoid telekicks on reaction and force the Mileena player to deal with a 50/50 mix up.

- Mileena can only set up offense with d+4 or a jumping punch. She does poor damage unless she lands u+4. Freddy does a lot more damage.

- you can EX teleport in between JP -> u+4 and u+4 -> d+4.

Death, Vip3r, DarKNaTaS, what do you guys think? Honestly, I had rather play Mileena now days than a character like Sonya who is 100% safe on everything.
I need to play Pig more often to confirm this, but Im winning this match-up a lot more often now that i've learned how to play against and punish her. Ex tele-kicks still confuse me though.

DarKNaTaS

Retired!
I need to play Pig more often to confirm this, but Im winning this match-up a lot more often now that i've learned how to play against and punish her. Ex tele-kicks still confuse me though.
i have the same problem with the ex tele kicks. i played pig of the huts mil and he rapped my freddy so i just dont know. maybe i still need to keep playing the match up some more. i only get to play mileena online since no1 at vsm uses her besides reo and he dont play with her like that any more.

AK Vip3r

Ghost of Vip3r
that's my problem. Pig is the only good Mileena player in GA. I get to play him once or twice a month, maybe.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
lol it could be even. It feels a lot tougher now that you know how to fight Mileena completely. Mileena is really risky. I cant zone you at all cuz ground claw goes under IAS and ground sais is useless vs Freddy. But Freddy has to play smart. He cant be predictable with glove toss cuz Mileena can tele kick. But when your unpredictable with it its tough cuz i get blown up on a blocked telekick and roll. Mileena pressure sucks honestly. Like people can get around U+4 and i cant hit confirm roll after B+3. its really a risky game and if you block it I lose 44% of my life. I think it could be even potentially. Youll need to run the MU vs better Mileena players who completely main Mileena. I dropped my Mileena monthes ago and only used her here and there. Maybe other mileena players play it better.
I've always considered you the best Mileena player along with Pig even though you guys use her as a secondary character. Pig doesn't think highly of Mileena and neither do you. LOL. I highly doubt there is a Mileena player who knows the Freddy match up as you two do, though.

DarKNaTaS, Vip3r, block the second hit of EX telekicks crouching and do d+2. d+2 doesn't always connect, but the Mileena player has to block it. d+1 xx glove toss always works, but it's difficult.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
So now that Mileena is no longer a bad MU for Freddy, so Raiden, Smoke and Kung Lao remained bad MUs. I'm assuming Raiden is the worst then next Smoke or the other way around. Kung Lao these days are manageable but he's a speed demon.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
So now that Mileena is no longer a bad MU for Freddy, so Raiden, Smoke and Kung Lao remained bad MUs. I'm assuming Raiden is the worst then next Smoke or the other way around. Kung Lao these days are manageable but he's a speed demon.
Smoke is the worst match up. Raiden is a mystery because very few players use this character now days. Kung Lao is difficult but manageable. Mileena can still be tricky to fight. Kabal is lame because of 2 xx NDC.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
Does sindel "outzone" freddy ? I put outzone in " " because i consider what this bitch does as spam not zoning . any tips how to fight her ? in past few days i fought a few sindels and lost all