What's new

Frame data question for combo strings...

How do you interpret the frame data for strings/combo attacks? Like a "113" combo? How does the start up, block, and on-hit advantage relate to this combo string compared to the frame data for, say, a F3 command normal?

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
The frame data for 113 gives you the frame data of the last part of the string, in this case the '3'.

This is the case for every string. So let's say you have like idk a 2332D1U3 string, the frame data listed applies to te U3 part.

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
If I'm reading the question right and remember correctly, all the frame data refers solely to the final hit of the string except start up and active frames.

If I'm reading the question right and remember correctly, all the frame data refers solely to the final hit of the string except start up and active frames.
So then what does start up/actice frame refer to? It can't be the first move because it doesn't match the frame data for the respective normal move?

Thia is kinda confusing already lol

DDutchguy

Startup and active frames do apply to the final hit as well. Otherwise each part of a string would be listed as having the same amount of startup and active frames, which they don't seem to be.

Startup and active frames do apply to the final hit as well. Otherwise each part of a string would be listed as having the same amount of startup and active frames, which they don't seem to be.
So, what should I be looking at in particular for the frame data of combo strings? Like does start up/active frames matter here? Should I only look at the block/hit advantage for the combo strings vs. looking at everything for all the "basic attacks" (normals)?

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
Oh ok, that makes sense. It's been a while since I've used my amateur frame data knowledge :p

DDutchguy

So, what should I be looking at in particular for the frame data of combo strings? Like does start up/active frames matter here? Should I only look at the block/hit advantage for the combo strings vs. looking at everything for all the "basic attacks" (normals)?
The game is based around 60 frames per second so 1 frame is 1/60th of a second (to give you an idea of how frames work).

-Startup frames tell you after how many frames your attack will get a hitbox. A move with 6 startup frames will take 0.1 seconds (6/60 frames) to come out. Startup is most important when it comes to punishing attacks. If your opponent does a move that is -7 on block, they cannot block for 7 frames. If you use a 6-frame attack, you can hit them before they can block and thus get a combo. In this case, an 8-frame attack would not work.

-Active frames tells you for how many frames the move has a hitbox. I wouldn't worry about this too much, you only need these frames if you want to do some whacky things on block which I can go into if you want.

-Recovery frames tell you how many frames it takes for you to be able to move again if you miss the attack. So a move with 8 startup, 6 active and 10 recovery frames has an initial 8+6=14 frames to be done with the attack itself, and takes 10 frames for you to move again afterwards.

-Advantage on block tells you about your situation after your opponent blocks one of your moves. If this number is negative, say -10, you cannot move for 10 frames after you have done the move. During this time your opponent can punish your attack if they have a move that is 9 frames or faster (a 10-frame move would not be able to punish a -10 move btw).

If this number is positive, you can move earlier than your opponent. So if your move is +10 on block (listed in the frame data as just '10' without a +), you can move 10 frames earlier than your opponent can. If you do a move that is 9 frames or lower, your attack will jail and the opponent has no choice but to block it.

Generally speaking, the fastest attacks in the game are 6 frames so a move that is -6 on block or higher ('higher' being -5,-4, etc.) it is called 'safe on block', because it cannot be punished by anybody assuming that the fastest attack in the game is 6 frames.

Moves that are + on block (or 0 on block) are generally ones you should keep in mind. Be careful aboutbusong moves that are like -10 or lower, because these can be punished fairly easily.

- Advantage on hit tells you how long your opponent has to wait before they can move, if they get hit by your attack. Typically pay attention to when this value is like 15 frames or higher on moves tjat knock your opponent down or restand them.

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
113 in a move list will show the frame data only for the final move in the string (3).

For the first hit, you just look at 1 in the move list. For the second hit, you look at 1,1.

113 in a move list will show the frame data only for the final move in the string (3).

For the first hit, you just look at 1 in the move list. For the second hit, you look at 1,1.
This I believe also gave me issues at first because I didn't know this. He's right, the frame data shown on strings are on the last hit of the string. If you have say a 213 string it'll list the startup for the last hit which is 3, but if you want to know the startup of the whole combo then just look at the startup for the first button, which in this case is the 2.