What's new

For those of you who play non-NRS fighting games...

d3v

SRK
If you guys think NRS patches too often and too early, play LoL for a half year. The game DRASTICALLY alters every year, and is patched regularly, as new characters are introduced. What NRS does with each game is actually comparable to what Riot does with LoL, excluding keeping the patches going on and on. The only reason it's still not acceptable for an FG to do this is because grassroots clause.

The problem with NRS's patching isn't the frequency, it's that they eventually stop a half year down the road, even if the game is still receiving massive support. You can't do that when things will still pop up.
Except that tournament history has shown that it is better to let players figure the game out in the long run. Heck, outside NRS, every other fighting game developer has acknowledged this, especially those who have FGC members on board.

But seriously, I don't get why people complain about "all the patching" when for the most part they patched little things. I have never understood why people are so against patching. People who say to "let the game develop" seem to be fine with infinites and glitches, which is are not things that I want to put up with.
To quote from former Capcom Special Advisor for Street Fighter Seth Killian.
I take them as a necessary sign of a good game, because what it suggests is a certain amount of creativity and a certain amount of freedom to do things that the developer didn’t intend. That’s one of the best things about a combat system.
For a lot of players, including guys like me, the first thing I do when I sit down with a fighting game is [try to find out] what’s the stupidest thing I can do to the opponent? What’s the worst thing I can do? ‘Oh, this move looks like it might combo back into itself. That’s going to be a bug. I’m going to go right for that.’ For a lot of players, there’s an attraction. The infinite combo is sort of like the goal.
Look at what happened to Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter. They actually figured out a way to prevent most of the brokenness found in Marvel games but the game itself ended up being rejected by the community for being boring and repetitive.

Then there's the fact that alot of how modern fighting games are played are based on glitches - combos, kara-cancels, advanced movement, unblockable setups, etc.

There are games where glitches become an important part of how their played. Look at Alpha 2 with it's Valle CCs, Alpha 3 with the crouch cancel infinites, CvS2 with roll cancels, etc. Heck, we've actually rejected attempts to take certain glitches out - 3rd Strike revision B which took out Urien's unblockables was rejected in favor of the older build (which is what is now used for every rerelease at our behest). Same goes with the XBox version of CvS2 which is looked down upon because they took out Roll Cancelling.

Heck, it's not just Capcom. Look at the Guilty Gear Xrd. They gave Sol his dustloop back since it was so iconic despite the fact that it was removed from AC onwards.

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
d3v,

Your comparisons are absurd. You're comparing 3 year old console exclusive NRS games born in the age of patching to 10+ old Capcom games that never even saw widespread console release or a single twitch.tv stream. In current times Capcom went back to the well repeatedly on MvC3, UMvC3, and SFxT for both glitches AND balance. And there are many more examples across the genre, Aksys patched BB every time a dlc dropped on consoles, same with Namco and SCV, and Tecmo with DoA5. PSABR (which had both Seth and Clockwork on staff) was similarly touched, and every month they slap a new bandaid on that mess that is that Jojo game.

This is just the way the genre works now. The only games that don't get patched are the games that can't get patched, ie: big arcade games. Tekken, VF, SF. And you can bet as soon as it becomes economically viable to jack every cab on earth into the Matrix, that's going away too. If CvS2 was released now, you can bet something would be done about roll cancelling, if iron mountain weren't chickens, chun and yun would be nerfed, and elena and sean would be functional, and you can bet MvC2 2013 Edition would no longer be run by MSS.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
If you wanna complain that NRS doesn't keep up with their games after the first 6 months or so, that is fine. Everyone would like to see an updated MK9. But saying NRS's problem is they patch too early too often is insane to me.
I think this is really the root issue - it's definitely what I've consistently complained about when it comes to the NRS games. It's like relationships...

THE WIFE: Capcom's SF4 patching is the wife. You met her, she was really pretty, and you knew she was a long-term kinda gal. She's solid and dependable, and she makes sure that she keeps things fresh and keeps herself looking good over the years.

THE FUCK BUDDY: This is SC2 or LoL. This girl is constantly changing things up and keeping them exciting. She doesn't want to settle down. This works to your benefit because she's working her ass off nonstop to stay in supermodel shape, always striving towards the goal of being as perfect as possible.

THE FAILED RELATIONSHIP: Sadly, this is NRS patching. You meet this girl, and holy shit, she's not like anyone else you've met recently. So interesting, so unique, plus she's really fucking hot. And the first part of your relationship is incredible. She's working hard to address her problems and to keep things exciting and new.

But at some point, you realize, she stops putting in effort. Things that seemed like small annoyances at first slowly grow into huge problems in the relationship. It's heartbreaking - if she'd just put in a little more effort, she could be marriage material! Sadly, over time, it's clear that she has completely let herself go and isn't planning on addressing her issues. While you'll always remember how incredible she was, with all of those other smokin' hot fuck buddies and potential wives out there, there's eventually almost no reason to stay with this girl. You have to move on.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I think this is really the root issue - it's definitely what I've consistently complained about when it comes to the NRS games. It's like relationships...

THE WIFE: Capcom's SF4 patching is the wife. You met her, she was really pretty, and you knew she was a long-term kinda gal. She's solid and dependable, and she makes sure that she keeps things fresh and keeps herself looking good over the years.

THE FUCK BUDDY: This is SC2 or LoL. This girl is constantly changing things up and keeping them exciting. She doesn't want to settle down. This works to your benefit because she's working her ass off nonstop to stay in supermodel shape, always striving towards the goal of being as perfect as possible.

THE FAILED RELATIONSHIP: Sadly, this is NRS patching. You meet this girl, and holy shit, she's not like anyone else you've met recently. So interesting, so unique, plus she's really fucking hot. And the first part of your relationship is incredible. She's working hard to address her problems and to keep things exciting and new.

But at some point, you realize, she stops putting in effort. Things that seemed like small annoyances at first slowly grow into huge problems in the relationship. It's heartbreaking - if she'd just put in a little more effort, she could be marriage material! Sadly, over time, it's clear that she has completely let herself go and isn't planning on addressing her issues. While you'll always remember how incredible she was, with all of those other smokin' hot fuck buddies and potential wives out there, there's eventually almost no reason to stay with this girl. You have to move on.
InB4 Goldfish bans you for being sexist

(I kid, I kid)

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
InB4 Goldfish bans you for being sexist

(I kid, I kid)
hahaha I actually thought about that, but I wrote it during my lunch break and didn't have time to do a male-version for the ladies of TYM before my next meeting started.

d3v

SRK
d3v,

Your comparisons are absurd. You're comparing 3 year old console exclusive NRS games born in the age of patching to 10+ old Capcom games that never even saw widespread console release or a single twitch.tv stream. In current times Capcom went back to the well repeatedly on MvC3, UMvC3, and SFxT for both glitches AND balance. And there are many more examples across the genre, Aksys patched BB every time a dlc dropped on consoles, same with Namco and SCV, and Tecmo with DoA5. PSABR (which had both Seth and Clockwork on staff) was similarly touched, and every month they slap a new bandaid on that mess that is that Jojo game.

This is just the way the genre works now. The only games that don't get patched are the games that can't get patched, ie: big arcade games. Tekken, VF, SF. And you can bet as soon as it becomes economically viable to jack every cab on earth into the Matrix, that's going away too. If CvS2 was released now, you can bet something would be done about roll cancelling, if iron mountain weren't chickens, chun and yun would be nerfed, and elena and sean would be functional, and you can bet MvC2 2013 Edition would no longer be run by MSS.
In what world are you living in where UMvC3 has been patched as of late? The only Capcom game that has been heavily patched is SFxT because of how shitty vanilla was. Even then, after 2013 they game didn't get any more major balance updates. Heck, every major Capcom game hasn't seen as many knee-jerk updates unlike NRS's games. More importantly, every major patch/update that the games receive is on the same level as a major revision/update from the arcade days. These aren't NRS patches that seem to come out every time scrubs complain about something. These are things that are planned long before hand and take into account how the players are playing the game.

On a related note, Japanese arcade cabs are all connected to the internet. If these companies wanted, they could update their games daily via ALL.NET P-Ras, NESiCAxLive or Tekken.NET. They don't however because they understand the players and Japanese arcade mentality - this is a country after all where the 1cc play is standard and people don't credit feed. Players there understand that things aren't supposed to be easy and are accustomed to having to deal with shit the system gives them and work with and even abuse them.

Also, it's funny that you mention MSS in MvC2. Had that game been patched like an NRS game when Magneto, Storm and Sentinel would be even stronger since they weren't found to be top tier until 2 years after the game came out. Early top tier in that game were characters like Doom, Iron Man, Iceman and Cable, with only the latter surviving the shift in the metagame.

rurounikenshin

biggest cyborg upplayer
I don't play Mitsu but I understand how to fight him. I play the characters that take the huge risks like Voldo and Maxi. I have no complaints about the balance but ignoring Pyrrah in the braindead discussion is simply madness.
I do agree that I forgot about Pyrrha, she is braindead, just on a different way.

look at all these Soul Calibur players...
add me on PSN for some games. its been ages since i've played SCV
I actually remeber you from 8wayrun, you were the guy with the picture of a girl`s breasts getting grabbed.

This thread is A+ cuz Temjiin

Everyone else is just spouting craziness.
I really fail to see how I am wrong in any way, sorry if I took this post seriously.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
When Kabal users use the Infinite no one bats an eye. but when it gets patched everyone looses their minds!.