What's new

Footsies 101

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I've come to realize that I don't really have a comprehensive footsy game. I pretty much just do d3/d4 to get out of pressure and will do d4 into a special. I've noticed players on stream dash in and do like two d3's and then go into a combo string...is this the whole idea behind footsies? I mean, I know it totally sounds noobish, but I realized I have no real strategy with d3/d4 UNLESS i'm simply trying to interrupt my opponent to get out of pressure...

What are your footsy strategies?

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I'm waiting for the answer too. Footsy game is one of my biggest problem.
Yeah, I've never really focused on footsies until recently. I'm no slouch to aggressiveness but i tend to do d3, d3 and then jump back...it's a terrible habit and I'm wondering if the whole footsy philosophy is to d3, d3 and then do a high/mid...

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
You have to know the hit advantage that each of those pokes gives. Some characters have a huge advantage... while others have smaller ones.

For instance, Subs d4 gives enough advantage on a standing opponent that he can dash in and do a 2,1 BnB block string.
Johnny Cage's d3 gives him enough advantage to land a f3.

The real problem is that there is no "official" frame data for every character. Somberness is busting out characters left and right, but still hasn't gotten to every single character.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
d+3 into a string isn't really footsies.

Footsies are when you use the speed and range of your pokes and other advancing normals to control space. This could be for defense to keep them out, or offense by forcing them to block so you can get in or bait mistakes like whiffing a poke of their own which you punish.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
d+3 into a string isn't really footsies.

Footsies are when you use the speed and range of your pokes and other advancing normals to control space. This could be for defense to keep them out, or offense by forcing them to block so you can get in or bait mistakes like whiffing a poke of their own which you punish.
This. :)

In fact, a strong footsie game look more attractive game wise when done it for keep spacing and force opening to next combo string pressure, to force enemy stands on blocking, or to control temporarily the pace of the match.

Personally, I enjoy more the offensive aspect of the footsie game, than poking your hell way out in defensive reaction to avoid being pushed to corner, hehe ..... :D

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
Helpful responses here. In all my games, 10,000+ I still don't have this down completely so don't feel like n00bs.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Use the range and speed on your normals, or some cases specials, to cover all the space infront of you, making sure that you know what moves are gonna hit or miss your opponent. Also knowing your opponents range and speeds will help you determine when its safe to dash in and punish a slow normal or special.

Knowing the frame advantage or recovery on moves will assist you in knowing what you can do to keep your opponents at desired ranges, where you have the threat of a combo stopping them advancing that tiny bit extra to hit with their tiny t rex like normals, or go to the air , anything that you can punish really. Its all based on reads and reactions to certain things, you cant really format "footsies" like you would a combo or frame data because theres no real measurement for range in mortal kombat, i know in sf4 theres squares on the floor in the training room that some people would use for showing range and footsie, so osmeone could try if they were that interested.

You should just get the feel for your characters normals through use , and know about matchups to play good footsies, but its played in all levels of the game, everyones got pissed at milenas d4, thats just footsies for ya, very easy to apply with good normals though.

Honestly if youre gunna use a zoning character like mileena/kitana, you dont need to rely as much on your footsie game as you would with cage.

Carefoot

http://youtube.com/nickcarefoot
Footsies isn't exactly poking but they are a little bit of column a/b.

Consider footsie the last line of defense of offense against regular strings and pokes. When an opponent respects this option or attempts to footsie back, here you can punish them.

Every character has its own footsie game, like scorpions d4 is -1 on block but with Stryker after a d4 I can dash in for a standing 4... or a throw even. So its different for everyone.

Espio

Kokomo
I've been trying to incorporate footsies into my game a lot more as well, I also wasn't quite sure how it's done or the exact definition, nice to see some very helpful contributions. I'll have to take note of this, I mostly just use pokes to escape pressure, but I've been trying to use them more as spring board for my own offense, haven't really gotten the hang of it in the least.

Honestly if youre gunna use a zoning character like mileena/kitana, you dont need to rely as much on your footsie game as you would with cage.
lol wut?

If you play a zoning character you ESPECIALLY need to have good footsies. Because you ain't winning with just projectile spamming.

REO conditioning Perfect Legend with iaSais then when PL gets close REO dashes up for a throw or jump in punch -----> That's footsies.

Crazy Dominican dash blocking twice and then walking backwards to bait and punish Riu48's wake up attack ----> That's footsies.

Using D3, D4 and sweep to avoid pressure -----> Footsies.

Walking forward or backward to that sweet AA range ----> Footsies.

Resetting strings to build more meter / frame trap -----> Footsies.

Empty jumping into a low/throw ----> Footsies.

Representing X then going for Y -----> Footsies.

Throwing low pokes while buffering special moves in anticipation of high hitting specials ----> Footsies.

Moving in and out of X range to mess with the opponent's assessment of spacing ----> Footsies.

It's different than SF footsies but some principles are the same.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
No doubt Vulcan Hades is the "Master Yoda" of Footsies, when the subject comes to discussion, hehe :D

Nah I'm a scrub lol.

But I know what footsies are because I've studied the best of the best. And I read a lot about it when I wanted to get good at SSF4. :p

lol wut?

If you play a zoning character you ESPECIALLY need to have good footsies. Because you ain't winning with just projectile spamming.

REO conditioning Perfect Legend with iaSais then when PL gets close REO dashes up for a throw or jump in punch -----> That's footsies.

Crazy Dominican dash blocking twice and then walking backwards to bait and punish Riu48's wake up attack ----> That's footsies.

Throwing low pokes while buffering special moves in anticipation of high hitting specials ----> footsies.

Moving in and out of X range to mess with the opponent's assessment of spacing ----> Footsies.

I was meaning to say JC's game is based on footsies more so than kabal, kitana etc.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
A good footsie game is more important than anything else imo, for every normal they miss it opens up an opporunity for a free hit.

Basically just controlling space

aj1701

Noob
Great thread, I've been wanting to know more about this as well. Is this why I see alot if of players dash blocking forward and back?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Footsies are what 16 bit said but in addition, it also means you are able to accurately predict the spacing of your opponents moves to make them wiff.

Proper footsies cause your opponent to be frustrated and make mistakes giving you the chance for punishes. Normals, specials, and jumps are all part of footsies. Proper footsies make a world of difference and are only now becoming dominant in this game. MK9 has been about pressure for far too long and is finally mature enough to enter this phase of gameplay.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Think of footsies as figuring out what your opponent wants to do, and punishing them for it. Footsies is forcing your opponent into situations they don't want to be in. Knowing your character and your opponent's character's attack range, and exploiting that knowledge to your advantage.

A common example of footsies is what I call the shimmy. Which is when you walk back and forward, in and out of the max range of your opponent's range, then baiting out that attack and whiff punishing accordingly. It may even be a block punish depending on the situation.

The footsies by a lot of MK9 players is severely lacking. There's way too much mindless jumping and dashing for no real purpose other than that's what they're used to doing. It's usually to get in and close distance, however. But doing that against a player who's good at footsies is playing into his game. He WANTS you to dash and jump so he can punish the recovery on the dash or anti air you.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
lol wut?

Throwing low pokes while buffering special moves in anticipation of high hitting specials ----> Footsies.

Funny. When I started doing the majority of this, I leveled up.....by quite a lot. Had no idea I was doing "footsies" though. lol.

I think TYM needs to make a detailed article about footsies to help newer players.
That would definitely be a great idea and help level up the overall level of play.

One thing we could do is take high level matches like Crazy Dominican vs Riu48 or CD jr vs REO and break the matches down in detail. Analyze everything that's happening. Why are they dashing here, why are they walking backwards here, why are they poking/not finishing their strings there, what are they looking for etc.

That would be great because the MK commentary (although very entertaining) doesn't explain much of what's going on in high level matches.

Let's just hope a few top players are up for this.