What's new

Fleshing out Nightwolf's under-used strings

NKZero

Noob
I thought that I would take some time to break down two of Nightwolf's strings that I feel are under-used by players in general. The two strings I wish to break down are the 114 string and the 234 string. I know L0rdoftheFLY has put up a thread talking about his 234 discoveries and that he has some stuff mentioned in his guide but I want to flesh them out a bit more. I will list all the viable options you have to follow up the strings and if you stutter the strings*.

*stuttering a string is doing part of the string (i.e. cutting the string short) in order to go for a throw or another string etc. For example, with Nightwolf's F31 string, you can do F3, F3, F31, F3, F31-axe swing or something along those lines. If you see the word stutter then you'll know what it means.

Also I will be using terms such as arrow trap or lightning trap so please refer to L0rdoftheFLY outstanding Nightwolf guide in these forums. There he covers Nightwolf's strategies and has a lot of advanced tech and set-ups. He also provides an in-depth explanation of the lightning and arrow traps so if you don't understand what they mean here when I mention them, remember to check out his guide.

Anyways let's get going.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
114 string: this 3 hit string can be stuttered by either only doing 1 or 11. Of course, you can do all three hits as well so here you have three options.

1: Nightwolf's standing 1 comes out in 9 frames and is 0 frames on block (i.e. neutral). You can do repeated jab 1's to some success especially if the opponent expects you to go through with the rest of the string (either 114 string or 1221 string). This is not a pressure string nor is it used for chip damage. It is simply a way of making the opponent guess as to when he can poke out. If he guesses correctly, you eat 1-2% (big deal!) but if you decide to commit to 11 or 114, he's eating more damage and potential set-ups I will expand further down.

Be aware of the fact that 1 hits high so it can be crouched. So only do it when they are stand blocking.

To summarize, the standing 1 is simply a 'checking' poke in order to open up your offensive options and to keep your opponent committed to blocking in fear of being blown up by a full combo.

11: 11 is also safe on block (-3) and you can mix it in with standing 1 to keep your opponent guessing. If you can hit-confirm 11, you can link in an axe swing (hatchet) for a full combo**. If you didn't intend for the 11 to hit but it does, you have a whooping +21 frame advantage! This means you can enter a scenario that is similar to the arrow trap (an arrow on hit is +18). If you want to play it safe, you can dash in and pressure or throw. The lightning/EX lightning options are risky and are further explained in LOTF's guide in the arrow trap section.

Once again, the 11 is not a trap. It's simply a mind-game and a checking tool but with even greater benefits if it unintentionally hits.

To summarize, 11 is safe on block but gives you a possible 'arrow trap'-like set-up on hit. if you can hit-confirm, you can do some big damage.

**combo off a 11 starter: 11-axe swing-B2-axe swing-1-1-122-shoulder charge for 35%

NB: this combo is more difficult of the 11 starter than any other starter for two reasons. Firstly, you need to input axe swing IMMEDIATELY after 11 so the activation window is very small. Also, the B2-axe swing pushes the opponent so far away that it is hard to link in two standing 1's after the second axe swing. To keep it simple, if you hit-confirm 11 into axe swing for a combo, you can resort to doing only one standing 1 after the second axe swing and still net 34%.

114: 114 on block only puts you at -2 so it is safe. When blocked, a 114 gives the perfect push-back distance for a maximum range F3 follow-up. Since F3 has an 11-frame start-up, the opponent has a 13 frame window to interrupt with a D4 (D3's and D1's wont work because they do not have enough range)***.

The beauty of F3 however is that it has great priority and will still beat quicker D4's because it lunges over the opponent's leg. Furthermore, opponents might not be used to this particular set-up at this moment in time so the chances are you will get your F3 out anyways before they react off a blocked 114. Remember, you do not even have to move to follow-up with F3. As soon as 114 is blocked, immediately input F3. From there you can do F3, F31 etc. If you hit-confirm F31, then link in axe swing and do a full combo for up to 38% of damage (once again check out LOTF's guide for Nightwolf combos).

Once the opponent respects this option, then you can dash in to enter other strings or repeat the 114 loop (beware of crouch blockers) or go for a throw.

If 114 hits, you have just put yourself in position for a potential lightning trap.

To summarize, 114 on block can be followed up with a max-range F3 while on hit you can enter a potential lightning trap set-up.

***Kitana's D1 has great range and can interrupt an F3 follow-up thus it is an exception to the rule. Sub Zero's D4 will also beat out an F3 follow-up since it comes out in 8 frames. Otherwise, most D4's are about 12 frames or so and therefore if timed correctly, the F3 will beat out these pokes. Even if you get poked out, you're eating minimal damage.

234 string: a 3 hit string with 2 stutter options. You can either do 23 or finish the string with 234.

23: 23 is neutral on block and gives some push back. Unfortunately it is JUST out of the max-range F3 range so you have to move forwards ever so slightly to get it to connect. This means that poking out for the opponent is much more likely than it is off the 114. However, if you remain unpredictable (either by using this string less frequently or by conditioning your opponent to respect the 234), then you can follow up with F3, maybe even dash in and throw or enter any other of Nightwolf's block-strings. If you can hit-confirm 23, you can link in the axe swing for a full combo****.

To summarize, 23 on block lands you just outside the F3 range but you can make your opponent respect the 234 and continue pressure etc.

****combo off 23 starter: 23-axe swing-B2-axe swing-1-1-122-shoulder charge for 36%

234: this 3 hit string is also neutral on block. If all hits are blocked, Nightwolf has no pseudo set-ups since the push-back is so great. At least it is safe! On hit however, you have just found another possible (and perhaps his best) lightning trap set-up.

Check out LOTF's new tech thread for more information on why 234 is a great set-up for lightning/EX lightning.

To summarize, 234 is safe on block and gives you a potential lightning trap on hit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember, these are under-used strings for a reason. You are much better off basing most of your game off 122, F31 and even B22. That doesn't mean you should neglect these options.

I hope this information helps you guys and gives you an extra dimension on Nightwolf's offense. Feel free to post any comments below and if you have any questions. You can also inbox me if you want to ask anything. I will end this thread by providing the links for LOTF's guide and his 234 tech.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/new-tech-for-nw-from-lotf.12123/ (234 and lightning trap)
http://testyourmight.com/threads/nightwolf-competition-guide-w-continuous-updates.7036/ (Nightwolf strategy guide)

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
The more stings you use the better chance you have at mixing up your opponent. Nw doesn't really have any unsafe strings except 112.

NKZero

Noob
The more stings you use the better chance you have at mixing up your opponent. Nw doesn't really have any unsafe strings except 112.
yeah i believe 112 is -8 on block? better off going with 114 anyways. you don't even get that much advantage on hit off a 112.