What's new

(Flashback) Rising Stars Interview - Sonic Fox

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
One of the most exciting and unpredictable players to watch, Sonic Fox has been blazing a trail through tournaments in the Northeast for months. Having solidified his resume with an impressive 2nd-place finish at Winter Brawl 2013, he took time out to answer some questions and talk about his intro to gaming, tournament experiences, and future plans.

Although at the time of this writing Sonic Fox is just shy of 15 years of age, he has already made a name for himself, defeating KevoDaMan to win ECT4 and more. He hails from Townsend, DE.

I knew this was going to be an interesting interview, and it did not disappoint.

(If you missed the last interview in the series, check it out here: http://testyourmight.com/threads/mortal-kombats-rising-stars-interview-w-xkhaotikx.28172/ )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ectg.jpg

1) Tell us a little bit about your background, how you got started in gaming and fighting games, and what attracted you to Mortal Kombat.

Well, ugh, I dont know where to begin lol. I started playing fighting games at the age of 4. My first MK fighting game was Deadly Alliance. Man, did I fall in love with that game. Combos interested me at a young age very heavily and they still do now.

My first fighting game was Tekken 3. I picked up Eddy and I enjoyed his combo potential. I was pretty free because I didnt understand anything, but I instantly went back to MK. For as long as I remember, I would just be playing MK deception with Jade all day as soon as I came home. Literally. All day ;_;. Then when MK Armageddon came out, I repeated the following concept. MkvsDC was meh, I didn't pay attention too much to it because Tekken 6 was out then. But when Mk9 came out, I just fell in love. I literally learned everyone within a month when PSN was down.

I still remember watching tournaments for this game when I was 13 going "Man, One day, I want to go to a tournament and show them what I got!" I would say in a very un-puberty like voice. My chance came and MK9 forever started me on my career playing games offline competitively. I will always adore this game, even when I drop it after Injustice.

2) What made you choose Mileena as a character?

Well, she was pretty gimmicky and stupid, which are characters I adore in fighting games. She was one of the first people I picked up because I tend to go for the female characters first in fighting games. After awhile, I did drop her, but then one day, this Mil beat me out of nowhere, called me free, said "you will never be good at mk scrub," and on that day, was when I went ape with mileena. After discovering frame data, I discovered she has an Okiing based style and a frame trap style. She is also a zoner which is perfect. I started abusing her frame traps, and to this day, people still dont respect them. Shes already sexy enough, let alone she has frame traps. Swag.

3) What's been your favorite tournament so far, and what made it memorable for you?

Hmmm, I think it was when I babied STB Chongo on stream. You see, he destroyed my inbox 3 times now on tym. Thats approximating up to 97 alerts in one day. I told him "Its ok, dont worry about it, Ill get you at WB" I gave him a lesson in the art of trolling, and knowing the perfect time to do it lol.

4) What has the environment been like for you at these events, being so much younger than everyone else?

I dont really look at myself as "young" in tournaments anymore. I just kind of act like I am like every other player, and I rip, tear, destroy, kiss etc. and it keeps my confidence high! My motto is "Eff what anyone has to say to downplay me, and props to those who respect me." I dont cause drama when I am called out. It only makes me stronger when I have to prove you wrong!

5) Mileena is commonly thought of as a risky character, who suffers in a number of matchups, yet you've accomplished a lot with her. Do you feel you've reached full potential with her yet, or is there more to unlock?

Oh believe me, there is SO much more things to be unlocked with her. I just have to dig deeper. I'm sure there is some kind of tech that will make her broken. We as the community, just have to find it ;_;.

6) How do you feel about the Kabal matchup, after NEC and Winter Brawl?
7-3..... 7-3 ;_;

7) Which player would you most like to take out at your next tournament, and why?

Well, at first it was Reo, considering he has the best kabal I have ever seen. I was so close to beating him, and I'm already calling for that runback. It would be amazing to fight him again in tourny. And theeeeeeeeeeeeeen, Curbo came out of nowhere. He and I play online all the time, and I wasnt *too* worried about him. Then I got my back blown out by him. This caused me to get revenge. He outplayed me, He's my friend, I am not even mad lol. Just vggs to him, see you at ECT5, won't be as lucky Curbo ;_;

8) You have one the most fearless and unpredictable playing styles MK9 has seen to date. Yet sometimes it comes at a cost, as seen with Curbolicious taking advantage of your naked teleports at WB. Is this something you plan to adjust/modify, or is it critical for your success?

Oh I definitely have plans to adjust/modify. I just played a little TOO ballsy than I usually do against Curbo. I respect the fact that he just sat there and watched me slowly kill myself. I laughed after he beat me too, because I knew how ballsy I was playing. He's very patient; I know not to underestimate him next time!

9) What is your saltiest moment yet in MK9?

Getting babied on stream at my first tourny ever by CDJr. Mannnn, I was so salty. I'll repay that debt one day though CDJr. Dont count me out yet. I didnt forget what happened a year ago ;)

10) How would you describe your relationship with Pig of the Hut?

Pig of the Hut and I are like, rivals in action all the time. We don't talk as much as we used to in the early stages of my competitive career, but everytime we do, we have the longest conversation ever. We talk about MU's, we teach each other tech, we are like, really good friends to put it. He trained my kenshi, and I told him about abusing Up4 with Mileena. We even troll each other at random intervals as well lol. Him and I will always be rivals, even when Injustice hits stores.

11) What's been the biggest challenge you've overcome so far as a competitive player?

That would be winning my first major. After last year's winter brawl, was when I was upgrading the most. I read and learned frame data, I learned Mileena's tough matchups, learned Sonya, and I was ready to get hype. I wasnt expecting to win this, but then I came out of nowhere and won! So hype.

12) How much do you practice, and who do you like to train with?

Hmmm, I cant really estimate as in what practice is. I am an online warrior lol. I just play and play and I upgrade. I dont have anyone in the scene of Delaware to level up with at all. Who I like to play with online though is Khaotik. Mann, do we enjoy trolling each other and our matches are hype, online and offline. WE both know each others style, so its like a nightmare when we play each other.

13) Any advice to players who are looking to reach a high level, or just become better at the game?

Yes, err. Find yourself that one group of friends that will like you for whoever you are and will gladly help you level up. An example of this would be an online clan. I wouldn't know about anything here or be playing video games offline competitively with you guys [without them] either. They are really amazing people to experience with. Its all about finding the right clan. I've been in multiple clans and they all have their own skills that aren't exposed to others. Just join one.

14) What tournaments do you want to attend in 2013, and which player is your biggest nightmare to face?

I hope to be attending ECT5, possibly Final Round (may be too far ;_; ) and MLGs. Thatss hopefully though lol. I am a kid after all, no job ;_;. What goes for my biggest nightmare to face, believe or not, is no one lol. I have no fear against other players, I only worry if I play a wrong way against a certain opponent. I think people should fear ME because of my ballsy yet calculated risks. I am very nerve wrecking to everyone!

15) What are you thoughts on Injustice so far; and do you plan to play it seriously if it meets your expectations?

This game is one of those "TAKE MY MONEY NOW" type of games. I definitely plan on picking this game up because I have always secretly been a fan of DC and this game is definetly the one I'll be waiting. Gonna be picking up Harley Quinn. I can't wait to see all the new people who will be playing this. This game is definitely going to be the hypest game out there. Maybe even more hype than Mahval...

16) You seem highly intelligent and motivated; do you have any plans yet for what you want to do in life, outside of fighting games?

So far, I plan to start programming or testing fighting games. After seeing this community, and experiencing everything else, I would love to start to make my own fighting game that is played competitively! Who knows, I may play my own fighting game offline as well haha! I just will have to see where life takes me on my career!

17) Is there anything else you want to tell the MK community in closing -- or any shoutouts you want to make?

Why yes! My shoutouts are to the following players:

xKhaoTikx You and I are always having the most hype matches of all time, and I enjoy being your rival and playing with you a lot! Keep them people looking free with fans <3
EGP_TYRANT I had fun playing test your luck with you! We always tend to troll each other and do stupid things lol.
CURBOLICOUS You exposed me extremely convincingly at Winter Brawl. I respect that so much lol. Your a good friend online and Im not even mad you beat me. I am actually relieved that you were the only one that defeated me at Winter brawl. Mad respect, but I will be coming for your neck next time <3.
Noobe I enjoyed the casuals and MM in your room. Was very fun wit dem popeyes in the back <3. Best cyrax hands down, goodluck in future tourneys!
Pig Of The Hut You gave me mad hope at Winter Brawl. I dont think I could have done as well if you didnt give me hope at WB. I completely forgot to go Kenshi while I was there lol. If khaotik had defeated me, I wouldve definitely kenshied his sonya!
Kitana Prime Same thing with nooby, twas fun playing casuals with you. Very nice kitana! You AA on reaction with that d1! Its insane lol.
SomeCubanGuy Best baraka hands down. You know how to space with him perfectly, and you do his resets too! You are extremely good with him and I enjoyed our casuals! Hype.
CD jr Thanks for keeping all the matches hype not only in MK, but in Doa and SFXTK. I enjoyed having your confidence in me and it helped me do well in DOA and MK! I have avenged you like I was going to at WB <3

Shoutouts to the whole MK community for watching the stream or coming down! There are so many more shoutouts that I can give, I feel so bad ;_;. too many people to name~

18) Congrats again on your success; thanks for taking time out to do this interview, and wishing you the best of luck throughout 2013 and beyond.

Well thanks for interviewing me Crim! Its always a pleasure to be interviewed! Just ask anytime!

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Sonic is free. The only reason why he is so successful is the fact that no one wants to beat up on a little kid.

Bitch.

<3

Temp

Salmon. Otters. The Bringer.
Great interview, but the "rising star" term seems so strange. Sonic has consistently been getting top 8 for months.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Great interview, but the "rising star" term seems so strange. Sonic has consistently been getting top 8 for months.
Yup, but a lot of our current top8 players aren't known to the outside world the way PL or CD Jr. are. Sometimes we take it for granted that we know everyone in this community. But Imo a number of these players have potential to be known far more outside our small circle than they are. So I want to do my part to help promote them.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
sonic fox's mileena is so tight,very enjoyable to watch,
ive taken a good few setups he uses into my own game.
good to see him get some more spotlight