What's new

Fixing MK11: Flawless Blocking

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.

Basic summary.

1: Flawless blocking is too accessible and has created a situation where instead of rewarding defense, it compliments rushdown

2: Flawless blocking opportunities need to be more restricted

3: Flawless blocking needs to be buffed to compensate for making it less available.

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

Chernyy. Dude. Just like I tell everyone else: Don't create a thread and just post a video.

Either edit a few bullet points into the thread giving a brief description on what to expect or your threads will start getting closed.

If you can take the time to record and upload a video, come here, create a thread and post the link, you can take the little bit of time required to provide some bullet points.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
My suggestion, increase lock out system to a full 60 frames if someone presses block and doesn't flawless block anything to prevent block mashing in between timings to get one but the revert the way it was used before the nerf, you could hold block and insta flawless block gaps.

I can wavedash into flawless block and its hilarious.

Zviko

Noob
Soon you will run out of game mechanics you hate or want changes to. And I bet they won't fix them all for you so isn't it just better to quit and wait for MK12?

Chernyy Volk

My suggestion, increase lock out system to a full 60 frames if someone presses block and doesn't flawless block anything to prevent block mashing in between timings to get one but the revert the way it was used before the nerf, you could hold block and insta flawless block gaps.

I can wavedash into flawless block and its hilarious.
Wouldn't this be impossible though with your suggestion?

Chernyy Volk

Soon you will run out of game mechanics you hate or want changes to. And I bet they won't fix them all for you so isn't it just better to quit and wait for MK12?
Nah. I'm trying to constructively criticize the game.

DeftMonk

Noob
Honestly what’s wrong with wave dashing into a flawless block? I think bigger problems with flawless block are the fact some characters have super wack u2/u3. Also even if u flawless block can’t you die from chip? That just seems super dumb(might be wrong tho and not at home to test). Can you imagine if during tournament someone had 0 d bars left and while on magic pixel someone successfully fb like 8 attacks to avoid death then came back and won? Would be super hype.

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
Honestly what’s wrong with wave dashing into a flawless block? I think bigger problems with flawless block are the fact some characters have super wack u2/u3. Also even if u flawless block can’t you die from chip? That just seems super dumb(might be wrong tho and not at home to test). Can you imagine if during tournament someone had 0 d bars left and while on magic pixel someone successfully fb like 8 attacks to avoid death then came back and won? Would be super hype.
That would be Evo moment 37 levels of hype

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
"Flawless blocking is too hard. Nobody uses it. Not even the pros"
"Flawless blocking is too accessible."

Everyone, just go play another game. There are 50 billion of them. And if there aren't any perfect FG games on planet Earth, then maybe there is a reason for that.

At some point you have to just say "This is the meta of a game. I can accept it, leverage it, use it to my advantage, or I can use its flaws to campaign for Paulo's job."

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Wouldn't this be impossible though with your suggestion?
I have a 2D build of MK11 fan made which i intentionally programmed some of the MK11 mechanics just to see how they operate.
So i have the flawless block in there, and if i can lock out flawless block with no contact for as long as i desire so does NRS.

Error404

Noob
Flawless blocking is literally the only worthwhile mechanic added to MK11. If anything , there should be more of it.

Everyone, just go play another game. There are 50 billion of them. And if there aren't any perfect FG games on planet Earth, then maybe there is a reason for that.

At some point you have to just say "This is the meta of a game. I can accept it, leverage it, use it to my advantage, or I can use its flaws to campaign for Paulo's job."
Exactly how I see it. MKX was not my cup of tea, I liked Injustice 2 more but MK11 is the game that I enjoy the most. The kore gameplay and the mechanics are the reasons for that. Not everything is for everyone. Maybe Injustice 3 or MK12 will be the game of the dexterous youth where only footsie monsters and high execution gods can enter the ring but until then I'm happy with this too accessible game.

And I'm really far from being the master of Flawless Blocking but I think that anyone who's dedicated and skilled enough to pull it off consistently deserves to profit from it.

Chernyy Volk

Exactly how I see it. MKX was not my cup of tea, I liked Injustice 2 more but MK11 is the game that I enjoy the most. The kore gameplay and the mechanics are the reasons for that. Not everything is for everyone. Maybe Injustice 3 or MK12 will be the game of the dexterous youth where only footsie monsters and high execution gods can enter the ring but until then I'm happy with this too accessible game.

And I'm really far from being the master of Flawless Blocking but I think that anyone who's dedicated and skilled enough to pull it off consistently deserves to profit from it.
No one is debating that last statement that's a stupid thing to say.

The problem is it's too freeform and it literally rewards people for being wrong. It's the breakaway issue, you're getting chance after chance after chance to be wrong before you actually pay for your mistake.

Chernyy Volk

Flawless blocking is literally the only worthwhile mechanic added to MK11. If anything , there should be more of it.
It rewards people for bad decision making. No thanks. It needs to be more limited, which makes it more impressive when it happens. It needs to be more rewarding of course if you do that though.

I feel like no one actually watched the video though, I feel like people are just typing shit before watching because none of the actual points I make have been addressed in this topic.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
I feel like no one actually watched the video though, I feel like people are just typing shit before watching because none of the actual points I make have been addressed in this topic.
You do have some good points in your videos, but because it comes from you, no one takes you serious man. You gotta clean your name, or at least change it. people clip you all the time and it makes you look like LTG.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I feel like lots of the "fix it" stuff boils down turn loss being ambiguous or avoidable.

How do I know it's my turn if they can FB when my turn starts?
How do I know it's my turn if they can d1 into special?

I believe there were statements along the way to the effect of "I shouldn't have to guess when my turn starts." Variable block stun aside, I don't really see how that is a unique MK11 quality. Lots of games allow bypassing a turn loss with a correct guess. Like SC6 where you might crush a horizontals, side step verts, or risk on a GI or RE. Do they do GI/RE on turn loss a lot? Maybe I'll do one of these super slow, could be a bad idea, breaker moves in their face and blow them up for it. Turn end isn't necessarily about taking over offence, it can just be about it being time for everyone to re-roll and see who comes out on top. Having a hard line expectation that turn end should mean you get to apply offence is probably a good way to end up frustrated in a number of games.

I'd specifically be curious how the over all FB thought's contrast with DOA6, which you briefly complemented recently, when that game has very little sense of traditional turn taking. Unless you have your opponent in the air, at no point are you not in danger of taking major damage. At no other point are you not constantly guessing about what your opponent is going to do. You can very easily die mid offence just by using a predictable combo route. Is the accessibility of hold made OK by the fact that it has so much risk attached where as MK11 a missed FB you can get away for free? (Assuming you blocked early and not late)

When it comes to fb'ing on turn switch, that usually works best when someone is kind of asking for it. They are being reliably aggressive. They like a specific attack on turn switch, or they always, always d1 check the first frame they can. If I can see what a person wants to do because they just keep doing it, and I have and use an option to capitalize on that observation, how big a problem can that be? Isn't that what fighting games are actually about?

I'm kind of at a point where I feel like if you aren't constantly playing RPS with your opponent, then:
  1. They aren't anywhere near as good as you are
  2. You aren't anywhere near as good as they are
  3. Somebody has no idea what is even happening; maybe both players.
There is a lot of talk across frustration threads that lead me to think people are trying to avoid the RPS/having to out think your opponent aspect of fighting games. I'm not sure that's a thing that can exist. I'm trying to get the point where I actually know enough that I can just play RPS, because I feel like it's the core of what it is, and everything else is just support, fluff, color, and fun.

It's what I like about DOA so much. After the initial shock of never feeling safe or being able to breath, you are forced right into out thinking them at almost all skill levels. "Oh, you know that string and I got held. I'll do it again and cut it short to bait your hold. Now I know that you know, and you know that I know, so now what are we going to do?"

Chernyy Volk

How is it bad decision making it’s literally making the right read
Because the flawless block literally often immediately follows a failed neutral maneuver. It's used to patch mistakes in a very similar manner breakaway does.