What's new

First Tourney and using Mileena. Any tips?

GhosT

Noob
So i finally found a local tournament that is going to have MK and from all my matches with other people Mileena seems to be my strongest character. Anything on Mileena i should practice getting down?
Scout your opponent early. Like my homeboy Sonya Blake said dont work off u4 and b3 off jump in opportunities. If you can get u4s on block make the opponent respect a frame trap 42 i think only armor can interrupt it, if they respect that then you can always try and play mixups off b3 b33 or b3 hitconfirmed to roll or b3 into ex ball if they respect the b33 string on block.

This goes for pressure or free/easy jump in opportunities, dont base your gameplan on this because offline jumps are very punishable. like blake said, the smart AA ball roll will be your friend, try and frustrate your opponent with d4s and sais once you can predict or bait jumps, you can telekick them into sai roll combos or at closer ranges time a patient ball roll for aa. Abuse her low hitbox like i tell my other friend, shes the best at scooting around on her ass using d4s and she is hard to touch at times with that hitbox, but with mileena it always comes down to converting your punishes into full damage potential and knowing when to zone and when to pester with d4, despite her u4 b3 mixups and whatnot, she really seems most potent when forcing mistakes, sadly her damage is low, and you will need to stick to your game plan in order to win.

Last bit of a tip, when cornered or frustrated by pressure, use care when waking up, mileena is one of those characters that people are really careful with when shes getting off the ground, its easy to resort to a ball roll or telekick on wakeup but most opponents expect it.

Good luck at your tournament

Death

Noob
Lots of B3~B4. That is pretty legit. Throw every chance you get. Aim to throw 3-4 times a round. If the opponent is good at teching then go for 234 string or hit-confirm 23~ball roll.

Try and have good footsies and spacing. Her D4 will guide you with that. But use the D4 as more of a zoning tool. On block try and dash back and iAS or bait a jump and AA roll. Whiff punish EVERYTHING with roll!

Limit the EX ball tricks. Its dumb and stupid. Any1 with a brain will defend it. No 42~ex ball. I am also not a fan of B3~ex roll because at this state in the game its pretty easy to fuzzy guard and you lose a bar of meter and then get blown up.

Use EX telekick vs characters who cant punish it for shit. (Freddy, Reptile etc) I can list more characters if youd like but I wouldnt abuse ex tele at all. Meter is ONLY used for breakers mainly.

Jump in punch U4 isnt a good idea either. A lot of Mileenas probably still do it but that should be like your 4th choice off jump in. 234~ground sai works well, same with B3~B4. But mainly go for a throw.

End your combos with uppercut then immediately ground sai after. Sometimes thr ground sai will hit them if they tech roll back or at the least get chip on block. Do this vs characters you want far away from you.

Telekick projectiles on reaction and AA with roll every chance you get.

Sometimes dash and crouch block. You can bait players that way. Theyll think your going to D4 and thye will jump or try something and this is your chance to walk back and whiff punish with roll.

Make sure you have your iAS down. Try doing 25 in a row each side of the screen in practice mode. If you miss 1 then start over. iAS, mixed in with ground sais is key. Not a lot of characters can outzone Mileena so feel free to just throw shit out.

x18x2xwildx

Something wicked this way comes.
Some people in this topic are acting like Mileena is horrible. She's not. You just can't play her braindead like you can some of the other characters in the game.