What's new

First Tourney and using Mileena. Any tips?

So i finally found a local tournament that is going to have MK and from all my matches with other people Mileena seems to be my strongest character. Anything on Mileena i should practice getting down?

redeyes

Button Masher
watch some pig of the hut or Jer gameplay from youtube of them using mileena and try to take some tips.

Just make sure you got your BnBs down AAing down and footsies and you should do fine! also dont let your nerves get to you!!!

Zangrief

Noob
I guess make sure you know the match ups and be ready for the hard ones. Kenshi is tough. Just inch your way forward and expect an armored move when you're close. Sonya and Cage, zone zone zone.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
i love how she was all over the place after evo 2011 now mileenas are few in numbers.
That's b/c everyone finally figured her out (besides me... I still can't beat her to save my life lol) and learned that she's pretty average across the board be it zoning or rushdown. She was all over after EVO 2k11 b/c of REO.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I don't main Mileena, but I've played quite a bit with her in this game and I can give you some pointers to keep in mind before going into your tourney.

Mileena's a little like Raiden in which she relies on her opponent to react and open themselves up. Be sure you have your instant-air sais and anti-air Ball Roll mastered, you don't want to drop any punish once you get it. The damage in her combos isn't really impressive, so take whatever damage you can and then back off.

If you go in for a jump-in blockstring, do NOT try an u4 or b3. Even off a blocked jump-in, they are not guaranteed and can be stopped by armored moves or even a fast enough jab (take Nightwolf's standing 1, for example; I've juggled an offline Mileena each time she tried to jump-in and do her u4 overhead). You're better off using variations of her 2 3 4 string or going for the throw.

Get the life-lead, then play defensive. If you absolutely have to footsie your way in, d4 is your best friend. Do NOT throw out random Ball Rolls or Teleport Kicks whether you enhance them or not, you'll eat a full combo if they get blocked.

Limit your use of her Wake-Ups. They aren't all that reliant unless they try to rush you when you're knocked down.

Most importantly...do not get cornered. She dies a painful death there, especially against characters like Sub-Zero who have a great corner game. I don't even know if her corner game is that good, because I haven't been able to contain many players there using Mileena.

For counter-poking, use d3. Her d1 isn't too good for that, in my opinion.

Anything else you want to know about, ask and I will answer.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I don't main Mileena, but I've played quite a bit with her in this game and I can give you some pointers to keep in mind before going into your tourney.

Mileena's a little like Raiden in which she relies on her opponent to react and open themselves up. Be sure you have your instant-air sais and anti-air Ball Roll mastered, you don't want to drop any punish once you get it. The damage in her combos isn't really impressive, so take whatever damage you can and then back off.

If you go in for a jump-in blockstring, do NOT try an u4 or b3. Even off a blocked jump-in, they are not guaranteed and can be stopped by armored moves or even a fast enough jab (take Nightwolf's standing 1, for example; I've juggled an offline Mileena each time she tried to jump-in and do her u4 overhead). You're better off using variations of her 2 3 4 string or going for the throw.

Get the life-lead, then play defensive. If you absolutely have to footsie your way in, d4 is your best friend. Do NOT throw out random Ball Rolls or Teleport Kicks whether you enhance them or not, you'll eat a full combo if they get blocked.

Limit your use of her Wake-Ups. They aren't all that reliant unless they try to rush you when you're knocked down.

Most importantly...do not get cornered. She dies a painful death there, especially against characters like Sub-Zero who have a great corner game. I don't even know if her corner game is that good, because I haven't been able to contain many players there using Mileena.

For counter-poking, use d3. Her d1 isn't too good for that, in my opinion.

Anything else you want to know about, ask and I will answer.
Blake, you're too safe! Lol

Sometimes you gotta go for stuff like a random enhanced ball roll. Look at pigs mileena. It can work.

Granted you want to be safe but sometimes ya gotta go nuts!

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Blake, you're too safe! Lol

Sometimes you gotta go for stuff like a random enhanced ball roll. Look at pigs mileena. It can work.

Granted you want to be safe but sometimes ya gotta go nuts!
Do none of you know anything about a sense of caution...?

When you take a risk and get blown up for it, you'll think to yourself, "God, I'm an idiot."

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Nope I go all out and take risks. Different styles and such, I just think sometimes ya gotta take some risks.
Well, if you want to walk right across a minefield where you'll get blown up for using unsafe moves and be forced to piss away your breakers every time, be my guest. A safe Mileena is better than an unsafe Mileena. Look for openings, don't hope for the best.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Well, if you want to walk right across a minefield where you'll get blown up for using unsafe moves and be forced to piss away your breakers every time, be my guest. A safe Mileena is better than an unsafe Mileena. Look for openings, don't hope for the best.
And if they give you no openings? You gotta create them.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
That's impossible. A fight can never go without mistakes from either player, life lead or not.

...and I think we'd best cease our arguing before the thread gets derailed.
Then it's also impossible for them to punish every risk you take. That one risk they don't could be what wins you the match!

But that said,
No Good Nelson ... You would do well to listen to Blake. He's a much better/smarter player than I. His tourney results prove it. :)

D

Deleted member 9158

As a Mileena main (not so much anymore, I bring her out sometimes though) it literally relies on your opponent not knowing the matchup. When up close I like to pressure with 2,3 and 4,2. Grab a lot as well. Try to condition your opponent to fearing either low or high attacks, and adjust accordingly.

And as the other guys pointed out, never throw naked teles or rolls unless they're in the air. Be patient, and when you get an opportunity to pressure, don't let up!

Thanks for the help guys! But i know i cant rely on Mileena the whole thing unless no one knows the match up, any other characters you guys recommend. Also what are the best times to throw d4?

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Im gonna have to go with Jer here, especially in certain matchups. Your not gonna beat a cage by just d4ing and iAs all day. Theres no way you can do enough damage, he will get in eventually. You gotta put something on the screen, or you will be cornered.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Make sure you get the first hit at the beginning of your matches. That way it opens your options up.