What's new

Discussion Final MKXL Tier List (post yours!)

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Dude Bo has nothing to get past the clone, nothing. He also has an incredibly hard time punishing Sub's b2 and dealing with his mobility.

The MU isn't as bad if Bo Rai Cho has the stick thing, true, but otherwise it's a butchery. I'll take Jax over Bo Rai Cho to fight Grand Master anyday.
What are you smoking? Bo has a no hurtbox weapon and can poke right through the Klone and punishes B2 clean. They both have an incredibly hard time escaping each other's setplay and the neutral isn't too slanted in anyone's favor. If you'd take Jax over Bo vs Sub be my guest, the more the merrier.

TamedLizard

Buff George
they lack a full combo after F4 slide
My point was that Reptile does not have polarizing MUs between his variations like many characters do and tier lists are based on MU numbers. If Noxious goes 5-5, then so will the other 2 aside from maybe 3-4 exceptions. Reptile loses when a character can outplay his CORE, not his variation. So a bad MU for, say, Deceptive, is a bad MU for him all around. Piercing and GM for example.

There aren't many MUs I can think of where choosing a different variation actually alters his advantage or disadvantage.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
My point was that Reptile does not have polarizing MUs between his variations like many characters do and tier lists are based on MU numbers. If Noxious goes 5-5, then so will the other 2 aside from maybe 3-4 exceptions. Reptile loses when a character can outplay his CORE, not his variation. So a bad MU for, say, Deceptive, is a bad MU for him all around. Piercing and GM for example.

There aren't many MUs I can think of where choosing a different variation actually alters his advantage or disadvantage.
Would you think all of Reptile's variations would be A or A+?

Summoner and Sorcerer Quan are where they are because they have some of the most insane offense in the game. Their weakness is defense, so it forces the opponent to go on the offensive, which is where Quan outguns almost everyone. That's why I believe Quan Chi's weakness isn't as easily exploitable as it may seem.

Hunter Predator is where he is because he shares Quan's weakness of shit defense without smothering offense, Predator's base normals are pretty meh, and his rushdown and zoning both aren't really much. Not only can't he wake up, but Predator's back walk is absolutely terrible. His setplay took a hit with two hit armor becoming the norm but it's still pretty strong. Which is why he's not in C tier, I believe the character fits the description of where I have him.

Considering moving up Buzzsaw Lao, Spectral Ermac, Hollywood Cassie, and Racenous Mileena.

Considering moving down Kenjutsu Kenshi, Pretty Lady Leatherface, and Necromancer Shinnok.

Also Cyrax is staying where he is, armor and tech roll buddy.
Crazy offense doesn't make his weakness less exploitable, I pointed out that by your definition S tier has small weakness, not having a wake up is huge against some of Quan's match ups where he just gets smothered. Therefore he is A+ at the highest by your own definition of tiers.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Crazy offense doesn't make his weakness less exploitable, I pointed out that by your definition S tier has small weakness, not having a wake up is huge against some of Quan's match ups where he just gets smothered. There for he is A+ at the highest by your own definition of tiers.
I just explained why Quan Chi was an exception to my definition, but I still have an open mind. What matchups does Quan Chi get smothered in?

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
Considering moving down... Necromancer Shinnok.
This is my main. Maybe you've already moved him since this post but I think A is pretty fair for Necro Shinnok right now. In his worst matchups, he's variationless Shinnok which is probably the best base skill set in the game and his meterless/1 meter damage is respectable. If you want to get riskier with the reads he can pay off in dividends with MB skele-grab into run combo netting over 20% (have played in a bit so the numbers aren't clear in my head) from as far as fullscreen. His keep away is lackluster but you can tax people for being hyper aggressive with his zoning and I think his only truly horrendous matchups are against other heavy zoning characters like Summoner Quan and Pyromancer Tanya. His gimmicks are indeed gimmicks but he shows up so rarely that you can catch legitimate people with shit like run-canceling fake outs with the unblockable and flicking/skele-grabbing a bit closer than is reasonably safe. His biggest sin that people rail on him for is that he isn't Imposter and it's a fairly true statement to say that most matchups that Necro wins, Imposter wins as well and Imposter has an easier time in some of Necro's worst matchups. Doesn't make him not a strong character though.

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
Lmao literally mystic only has that push going for it over the crazy mix ups and pressure of Spectral.
And easily has the lowest damage out of the three variations by far

TamedLizard

Buff George
Yeah, I think Nimble's tools are more effective in the current version of the game. But every Reptile plays so differently, where they are ranked is probably gonna be based on how the player wants to spend their meter. Reptile is kinda unique in that way.
Truth. It's one of the many things I love about him. I can choose what I want use according to your character and how you play them. Loads of versatility because as stated, it's extremely rare that you'll be putting yourself at a disadvantage for wanting to use Noxious or Deceptive. Summoner, Hollywood, and maybe Sektor are MUs that I believe Nimble has a slight edge over the other two.

Would you think all of Reptile's variations would be A or A+?
If I'm being honest, I think he's solid A+ all around. But I can see why people would tend to give Nimble some leadway as the damage and corner carry are hot commodities. Execution is it's only barrier.

Oh and for the record, I agree with pretty much everything else. Bonus points for highlighting Spectral. Excellent variation. Just gets overshadowed by Mystic.

I just explained why Quan Chi was an exception to my definition, but I still have an open mind. What matchups does Quan Chi get smothered in?
Mostly against characters that have strong pressure and Oki game like demo Sonya, if it is combined with inability to zone the opponent out it is even worse like against Sektor,
With him and with characters I play (which includes Quan, Shinnok a couple others)I know how to set up your pressure as an option select to Quan's options (I think a lot more characters can do that if you study the MU). That means that regardless of whether he does his skydrop or delays the wake up or stays blocking you either continue you pressure and 50/50s on Oki, or blow up his shitty armour for a full combo. Sorcerer's offense is a lot more potent in XL then Summoner's because Summoner is more meter dependent. Plus Sorcerer sometimes (very situational but it happens a lot in real matches) gets his ass saved on oki by the armour coming back at the right time where summoner can only pray for a MB interctable being available (and him having meter to use it).
What i am trying to say is I am open to discuss sorcerer being S tier, but Summoner should defenitely be a bit lower)

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
Lmao literally mystic only has that push going for it over the crazy mix ups and pressure of Spectral.
And easily has the lowest damage out of the three variations by far
Lmao you mean float which has gaps and mixups which lead to low plus frames on hit if you don't block high?
Compare it to the fact that he has control over half of the screen and you always have to respect him on knockdown when he has a bar. Yep, dem deadly MIXUPS.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Mostly against characters that have strong pressure and Oki game like demo Sonya, if it is combined with inability to zone the opponent out it is even worse like against Sektor,
With him and with characters I play (which includes Quan, Shinnok a couple others)I know how to set up your pressure as an option select to Quan's options (I think a lot more characters can do that if you study the MU). That means that regardless of whether he does his skydrop or delays the wake up or stays blocking you either continue you pressure and 50/50s on Oki, or blow up his shitty armour for a full combo. Sorcerer's offense is a lot more potent in XL then Summoner's because Summoner is more meter dependent. Plus Sorcerer sometimes (very situational but it happens a lot in real matches) gets his ass saved on oki by the armour coming back at the right time where summoner can only pray for a MB interctable being available (and him having meter to use it).
What i am trying to say is I am open to discuss sorcerer being S tier, but Summoner should defenitely be a bit lower)
Ok I agree, Sorcerer is a cut above Summoner.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Truth. It's one of the many things I love about him. I can choose what I want use according to your character and how you play them. Loads of versatility because as stated, it's extremely rare that you'll be putting yourself at a disadvantage for wanting to use Noxious or Deceptive. Summoner, Hollywood, and maybe Sektor are MUs that I believe Nimble has a slight edge over the other two.

If I'm being honest, I think he's solid A+ all around. But I can see why people would tend to give Nimble some leadway as the damage and corner carry are hot commodities. Execution is it's only barrier.

Oh and for the record, I agree with pretty much everything else. Bonus points for highlighting Spectral. Excellent variation. Just gets overshadowed by Mystic.
I like your logic, they're too similar to be on different tiers, even if Nimble has a slight edge.

Mostly in agreement, well done here. However, there is no way on fucking planet earth that you can tell me that LASHER takeda and Demo sonya are not only in the best tier in the game, but anywhere above POSSESSED, HOLLYWOOD, and ASSASSIN. No freaking way man. People seem to think characters like ethereal and lasher are sooooo good just because one loyalist has a good run in the kombat cup. Doesn't work that way.

Wigy

There it is...
Bo' Rai Cho vs Sub-Zero is 5-5 or 6-4 Sub, 8-2 is absolutely insane. The only variations that Grandmaster beats 8-2 are Wrestler Jax, maybe Blood and Sub God Kotal. Piercing vs Balanced is probably pretty close as well.
5-5. You are having a laugh.

Bo gets 7-3'd by a lot of characters.

I'd honestly say at the highest level bo rai cho would loose 8/10 matches cause in some matchups you reallly have to make a mistake for him to get you into the corner and he genuinely cannot compete at all mid screen

People dont exploit the gaps, they get hit by ex flame, they dont fuzzy f3/b3.

People sit and respect f1 into flame which has a gap. Tonnes of little things you get away with cause lack of bo matchup exp

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
5-5. You are having a laugh.

Bo gets 7-3'd by a lot of characters, cant really call them 8-2 because if bo gets them in the corner its go time.

I'd honestly say at the highest level bo rai cho would loose 8/10 matches cause in some matchups you reallly have to make a mistake for him to get you into the corner and he genuinely cannot compete at all midscreen.
Sub-Zero doesn't beat BRC 7-3 or 8-2 is all I'm saying. I'm even open to Sub winning but Grandmaster vs Bartitsu isn't really that terrible.

Ravenous is better than Piercing man.
Also Spectral is on the same, if not better level than Mystic.
I think Hunter, Lasher, and Brood Mother are slept on too and could possibly go one tier higher.

Also I've always wondered; Who is the worst character (all variations included) in this game?
And is there such thing as a 10-0 match up across any variations?
I believe the worst matchup in the game is definitely crystalline tremor vs unbreakable sub zero. Idk about 10-0 but it's pretty close maybe 9-1 or atleast 8-2 for crystalline.You can literally full combo punish every hit unbreakable gets on you and you still get a full combo punish after every time you block and have armor on. Basically anything you do it is guareenteed to be punished. overall it's just a really hard game for unbreakable and if the tremor know this, basically unwinnable

Last edited:

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
LOL at the Spectral downplaying in this thread. Showing that high level knowledge of the variation :D
whenever someone comes up with his own tier list i wonder how he has major-winner-level knowledge of every single variation in the game.

there is only one reasonable way to make a valid tier list and that is a community effort. the best players and/or scientists of their characters discuss the matchup numbers and the tierlist is based on those numbers solely.
"major-winner-level knowledge of every single variation in the game" actually means not knowing some variations in the game at all, since a few of the people who have won majors actually didn't know how certain variations worked until recently. So if you're implying that major winners know every variation in the game at even a decent level you must not know how much they actually know lol

As for the community effort thing I see what you're going for but that would be a mess. Multiple communities downplay their character, just imagine how terrible some matchup discussions would be. One community would swear it's losing for their character and another would swear it's losing for their character lol.