What's new

Fightstick, will it help if i bought one ???

hey guys i dont know were els to post this but i thought since reptile is my main it be ok :')
whats better to use a fight stick or the controller ???? people say that a fight stick will help you in like reaction timing ? and that you can get to your buttons faster to do combos etc. i just want to improve my game is all but these fight sticks ent cheep !!!!! lol so what i'm asking is is it worth buying on ?? pros and cons for a controller vs mk9 fight stick ???
thanks TestYourMight

I personally prefer the ps2 controller because you get more control over the buttons because they are close, and Im used to it. But it all comes down to preference.

hey guys i dont know were els to post this but i thought since reptile is my main it be ok :')
whats better to use a fight stick or the controller ???? people say that a fight stick will help you in like reaction timing ? and that you can get to your buttons faster to do combos etc. i just want to improve my game is all but these fight sticks ent cheep !!!!! lol so what i'm asking is is it worth buying on ?? pros and cons for a controller vs mk9 fight stick ???
thanks TestYourMight
Personally, it all depends on preference. But, MK9 really feels like it was made with a DPAD in mind. I always use stick, but found dpad so easy with MK9. I wouldnt get one if you only want it for MK. If you play a lot of fighting games, then yes I would and I would get something thats more universal than PDP stick.

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
You can get a Hori Fighting Stick V3 on amazon for about $55. I've ordered one, but I don't yet know how well it will work.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I've been switching between pad and stick actually.

Started with the TE MK stick- Absoulutly awesome for this game if you ever played in the arcade back in the day/Problem with this stick is that it broke after about 600 matches

Went to a WWE allstarts Pad (I play on 360) Love that thing. Great pad/only problem is my thumbs get sore if i play more that 2 hrs straight

Went to SF TE Stick- once I figured out a button lay out that worked for me, I love that thing too.

Now I switch between the 2 depending on the character I'm using. If gaming where they play PS3, I use the Pad. Gaming where they use 360, i bring my Fight stick.

i got the 360 te stick an i dont like playing without it as it is godlike, for me. if i use the 360 pad, the stick just plain sucks ass so im stuck with the d pad which is better, but nothing to call home about.
hands down the fightstick is prolly your best bet.
i never tried any other then the pdp so my experience with them is limited, but that fucking pdp is heaven in your hands.

qanba q4raf and you're set for life
Hahaha i second this :) Qanba Q4RAF 3in1 is awesome if you switch consoles alot since i find the difference between 360 and PS3 pad hudge.
I play at home on 360 and just when i get some hard comboes down i go to a friend that i play against and i have to learn the comboes on PS3 all over again.
Q4RAF not only can be played on 360, PS3 and PC but also has awesome quality buttons and stick (same as Madcatz SF4TE one).

Panque

Random foreign guy
I was thinking about getting a qanba some time ago but i gave up. Don't want to play mvc or sf, and I barely see anyone using sticks for mk in tournaments anyway. I don't know if it will make your game worse once you get used to it, but i think it won't improve it either. MK seems to be all about the ps2 controller, and there are lagless converters for both the xbox and the ps3. It's also a much cheaper way to go.

If you still want a stick, get a qanba Q4RAF for sure, reviews are really, REALLY positive and even tom brady said the Q3 was the best stick he ever saw and that the q4 must be just as good if not better.

I was thinking about getting a qanba some time ago but i gave up. Don't want to play mvc or sf, and I barely see anyone using sticks for mk in tournaments anyway. I don't know if it will make your game worse once you get used to it, but i think it won't improve it either. MK seems to be all about the ps2 controller, and there are lagless converters for both the xbox and the ps3. It's also a much cheaper way to go.

If you still want a stick, get a qanba Q4RAF for sure, reviews are really, REALLY positive and even tom brady said the Q3 was the best stick he ever saw and that the q4 must be just as good if not better.
I don't think there are any converters for wireless xbox360 to wireless ps3 controler :s Would be great if there was. And i find myself not doing BF motion as consistently on a controller (especialy ps3) as on an the arcade stick.

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
It helped me, I think it's better to play on stick, my execution is a lot better for example, but it's all about preference, you can play MK just as good on a stick as a pad.

shura30

Shura
Aww man, I'm so sad I can't buy that kind of stuff here in Hungary. :(
i live in italy, got mine from gremlinsolution (uk)
shipping, p&p and vat raped my backdoor so bad it still hurts

after the pain goes away all that remains is a great item

Personally I like playing with a the regular TE fight stick layout. I've been playing a lot of fighting games lately and playing on stick will help you out a lot from transitioning from one game to another. I know a lot of people like playing on a dualshock pad but I really don't like it when it comes to using characters like Rain/Cyber Sub Zero and I have to constantly press the combination of square and triangle at the same time. But with any games you will get the hang of whatever controller you choose, just be glad you have options in this day and age compared to our limited choices about 17 years ago when guys my age were playing MK1 and 2 on the SNES or Genesis controller.

i live in italy, got mine from gremlinsolution (uk)
shipping, p&p and vat raped my backdoor so bad it still hurts

after the pain goes away all that remains is a great item
don't tell me that you found one via face book, becouse I did :)

Jelan you can buy one for Hungary too. They can ship worldwide

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
I bought a stick, I don't like it for MK, especially playing as reptile.

I cannot for the life of me find a button configuration that I find comfortable, but also allows me to perform any string with ease. back-forward movements and back-back movements also seem to become incredibly hard on stick too, and Reptile has about 4 of them in his moves list. For MK, I much prefer any pad with a decent Dpad.

shura30

Shura

nah, i already knew gremlinsolutions for sanwa parts which i used in some old neogeo stick
i found abount this qanba while searching something viable for the x360 and immediately seemed the best item
(mostly because there are sellers trying to scam madcatz te for £240)

sometime i think that i should travel more to the uk just to buy electronics, it's cheaper than having them sending via courier

I cannot for the life of me find a button configuration that I find comfortable,
try

1 2
3 4 5

works best for me

but also allows me to perform any string with ease. back-forward movements and back-back movements also seem to become incredibly hard on stick too, and Reptile has about 4 of them in his moves list. For MK, I much prefer any pad with a decent Dpad.
which stick you picked up?
btw it's only matter of experience and training, i can't play fighting games without a fightstick, pad is innatural to me
sanwa's square gate made kabal's iaGB easy

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
try

1 2
3 4 5

works best for me

which stick you picked up?
btw it's only matter of experience and training, i can't play fighting games without a fightstick, pad is innatural to me
sanwa's square gate made kabal's iaGB easy
I was using

That was the one I was most comfortable with, I can rest my ring finger on block and press the attack buttons with my other fingers, but it just felt awkward. I'll keep at it though, maybe play some AI for a while just to get to grips with it.
Also it's the none tournament edition of madcatz stick. The stick itself is nice but the buttons seem a bit tacky, it was sort of a test run to see if I should go for a better one.

@ KomegaK
bro try
1 Block 2
3 Throw 4
this setup works great a lot of top players using it becouse it's easy to do all Ex moves.
Second option is to set block between 3 and 4.

@Shura30
Can you tell me how do you input your iaGB? like pressing up+left than fast left+1 ?

PS: Sorry for Raiden spam :p

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel

I know I can order one from aborad, I meant there are no shops with stuff like that. I know about 7 or 8 console shops and none had a stick lol.

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
I was using

That was the one I was most comfortable with, I can rest my ring finger on block and press the attack buttons with my other fingers, but it just felt awkward. I'll keep at it though, maybe play some AI for a while just to get to grips with it.
Also it's the none tournament edition of madcatz stick. The stick itself is nice but the buttons seem a bit tacky, it was sort of a test run to see if I should go for a better one.
This works for me:
Throw - FP - BP - Tag
Block - FK - BK - Stance
So you can have your thumb to block 4 fingers are free for any input.

shura30

Shura
I was using

That was the one I was most comfortable with,
that was my initial one
i switched 5 to low row just for the xrays (i don't bind any button)
you should try sanwa parts
don't have anything in common with cheap ones totally different quality

@ KomegaK
@Shura30
Can you tell me how do you input your iaGB? like pressing up+left than fast left+1 ?
ub ub 1
since the square gate have corners in the diagonals it's a piece of cake because you 'feel' the ub
i used an octagonal restrictor for kof games but i couldn't spam iagbs fast as i can do now

PS: Sorry for Raiden spam :p
no problem, it's my smoke with aids :p

ub ub 1
since the square gate have corners in the diagonals it's a piece of cake because you 'feel' the ub
i used an octagonal restrictor for kof games but i couldn't spam iagbs fast as i can do now
ya but I can't do that if I am standing on the right side of my opponent. If I am on the left side it's easy. But other way is so hard becouse of joystick grip and I have to use my thumb. How do you deal with it ?

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll practice a little more with the different configs.
Also shura, gotta give credit to you for managing to pull off the dash cancels so well on the stick. With the pad I managed to get it going after about an hour of pracitce, with the stick I'm still a mess haha.

Warplay

Noob
Went to Galloping Ghosts arcade a couple days ago and played MK9 on a stick for the first time. I felt so completely worthless at the game. I felt like a 2 year old could hop on and smack me around by button mashing. If you're not used to using sticks from back in the day, as someone mentioned, I really do not suggest you go that route. I prefer playing Street Fighter on stick, but it's just so unnatural for MK in my opinion. The way the inputs are for MK just don't work with me on stick. Pad is the only way to go, find one that works for you. If you're a 360 user looking for a way out of hell(AKA the disc d-pad), get an Xtokki converter and use the PS2 Daulshock pad, which in my opinion was the best pad made for fighting games.